Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 07:55 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: happylabs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarPop View Post
Raise your hand if you love ChickenLady
*raises both hands and jumps up and down*

I still haven't made this yet..........but I will ChickenLady!
B

Now...my newbie question. I am in week 3 of Atkins. When would I be allowed to make and eat this?
happylabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex57 View Post
CL..... made the cake and it was a big hit with my fussy DD and SIL. Do have a question tho'. Why the egg in the frosting? I decorate cakes and never had a cream cheese frosting with an egg included. Just curious.

Plan to make this for a picnic coming up where sugar free desserts are encouraged. I know it will be a hit. Thanks for sharing.
I was watching Alton Brown making frosting on TV and he put some eggs in his and I decided that I wanted to try it...so I did and I liked it. I thought it gave the frosting a richer flavor...and your welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happylabs View Post

Now...my newbie question. I am in week 3 of Atkins. When would I be allowed to make and eat this?
I'm not really sure...read your book and see when you are able to add nuts to your diet. I think the nuts are the only thing in this cake that would be not on induction.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hirezmary
Stats: 195/160/145
WOE: Semi-Atkins
Start Date: January 2005
How about this cake with the 7 min frosting instead?

Its been a while since I made this frosting, but this is my favorite LC frosting for a chocolate cake. It reminds me of marshmellow cream.

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 cups splenda
* 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1/3 cup water
* 2 egg whites
* 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Directions

Place sugar, cream of tartar or corn syrup, salt, water, and egg whites in the top of a double boiler. Beat with a handheld electric mixer for 1 minute. Place pan over boiling water, being sure that boiling water does not touch the bottom of the top pan. (If this happens, it could cause your frosting to become grainy). Beat constantly on high speed with electric mixer for 7 minutes. Beat in vanilla.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cookie34
Stats: 273/186/150
WOE: VSG/Low Carb
Start Date: 5/20/2012
that sounds gooood!
cookie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
HI Chicken Lady. You cake looks outstanding! Great job!

Question - Are you using Bob's Red Mill Almond flour for this, or are you making your own almond flour? I can't get it very fine like that (B'sRM) in my blender or food processor. Around here, B'sRM almond flour is $10 a lb. Conversely, I always have almond pulp left over from making my own milk, and I am trying the cake with that right now.

I don't think it will work the same. My batter was quite stiff, rather than pourable, indicating my almond pulp is absorbent. I added an extra egg, some mayo, extra oil, and some water to bring it to pourable consistency. Yikes!lol...
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miboje View Post
HI Chicken Lady. You cake looks outstanding! Great job!

Question - Are you using Bob's Red Mill Almond flour for this, or are you making your own almond flour? I can't get it very fine like that (B'sRM) in my blender or food processor. Around here, B'sRM almond flour is $10 a lb. Conversely, I always have almond pulp left over from making my own milk, and I am trying the cake with that right now.

I don't think it will work the same. My batter was quite stiff, rather than pourable, indicating my almond pulp is absorbent. I added an extra egg, some mayo, extra oil, and some water to bring it to pourable consistency. Yikes!lol...
I get my almond flour on-line from honeyvillegrain...I purchase 25 pounds and put it into 1 gallon freezer zip-lock bags and freeze it. I keep a 1 gallon bag in my frig that I use out of... 25 pounds is $120.00 plus $5.00 shipping which works out to $5.00 a pound. The 25 pounds will last me for about 1 year and it stays fresh in the freezer and the frig. It is the very finest quality almond flour that I have ever used.

They carry the natural almond flour but I always get the blanched. They also carry the 5 pound bags for $30.00 plus $5.00 shipping...which would be $7.00 a pound...but you save the most money by getting the 25 pounds and storing it in your freezer if you have the space.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #97
Senior LCF Member

It was a flop! It is flat and dense like a brownie.

I wanted a nice and fluffy one like yours! I suppose if I have a special event I could fork over ten bucks for flour, but I was hoping for this to work.
Phooey
Old 07-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Chicken Lady, that is exactly how and how much I purchase, too. As a matter of fact, I just ordered 25 lbs. Julie P.S. I made this cake again for my Grandson's Bday. It is my go to Birthday Cake.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE View Post
Chicken Lady, that is exactly how and how much I purchase, too. As a matter of fact, I just ordered 25 lbs. Julie P.S. I made this cake again for my Grandson's Bday. It is my go to Birthday Cake.
I'm glad you enjoyed it... My daughter used this recipe to make cup cakes and made some peanut butter frosting to go on them, they were really good.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:12 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for elaborating on that, Chicken Lady. That is a much better price than B'sRM, for sure! The price tag is un-doable at this point, though.

I do have almonds that I bought in bulk last year, and I googled "how to make your own almond flour". It's tedious, but will give me the flour for $2.79 a pound. That will have to suffice until I can swing a 25 pound bag. Thank you for telling me about Honeyville Grains!

It appears this flour is so versatile! I am transitioning to raw, low glycemic foods and will be able to make raw cakes and cookies with it as well as my occasional splurges on cooked foods.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by miboje View Post
I do have almonds that I bought in bulk last year, and I googled "how to make your own almond flour". It's tedious, but will give me the flour for $2.79 a pound. That will have to suffice until I can swing a 25 pound bag. Thank you for telling me about Honeyville Grains!
You can always just buy 5# for the time being. It lasts quite a while (unless you bake constantly ) Honeyville really does have the best "flour" available!
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I made this the other day, but it had too much of a grainy texture from the almond flour for me, even using the kind from honeyville. I may try using the fake cake-ability recipe next time, I really want a cake like texture! The recipe itself is great though but I think it needs just a little bit more of a chocolate flavor, so I think I will add either some chocolate chips or melted bakers chocolate next time. It could have been a little sweeter too, I like things sweet.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
I've been playing with the idea of poking holes in this cake and spreading the frosting on while it's still hot and letting it seep into the cake. Or maybe doing that with half the frosting and then putting the rest of the frosting on after it cools. I may get really brave and give it a try with the next one.
Has anyone tried this? It sounds yummy
ladeeda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I made this the other day, but it had too much of a grainy texture from the almond flour for me, even using the kind from honeyville. I may try using the fake cake-ability recipe next time, I really want a cake like texture! The recipe itself is great though but I think it needs just a little bit more of a chocolate flavor, so I think I will add either some chocolate chips or melted bakers chocolate next time. It could have been a little sweeter too, I like things sweet.
Well 2 yrs later and we love this cake!! Haha I have learned to bake low carb and now my desserts come out great! I was reading this thinking wow, I can't believe someone didn't like this cake then looked over and realized I wrote it!! I use a different frosting because I don't care for cream cheese and chocolate. I probably used splenda when I made this cake the first time and maybe that would explain the cake not being sweet enough. I now use a few different sweeteners together for synergy.

What a difference time can make!! Learning to bake low carb took some time, but it was well worth it. Now I can have my cake and eat it too!! lol
Old 09-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #105
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I love this cake.

Gina you should have seen us 20 years ago.Some us the stuff we made was unbearable. We've come a long way.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Thank goodness for sites like this and others!! When I first came here I was trying all kinds of recipes with lots of failed attempts. Now I know when reading a recipe what I will use for sweeteners and if I will like it or not. We have come a long way in regards to low carb baking that's for sure!! Im so thankful for for all the bakers on this site and others who bring such amazing recipes our way. I never feel deprived or that I'm going without anymore.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goheels
WOE: Low carb woe
Start Date: January 2008
I finally got around to baking this cake and really enjoyed it, will put into my dessert rotation.
goheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MiRedkitty
Stats: 247/159/150, or so
WOE: Atkins with a twist
Start Date: August 21, 2003
In the historically documented words of "Horshack" (for those old enough to remember)

"Oh, OOOO! OOOO! OOOO!"

I gotta try this one! It looks so rich and moist! I'm drooling on my keyboard!
MiRedkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
This is my very favorite low carb dessert (although Chicken Lady's carrot cake is yummy too) . I add a couple of tablespoons or so of low carb chocolate chips and instead of the frosting I use a little bit of the glaze made from the powdered sugar from Low Carb foods (Can be ordered from Netrition). Back in my high carb days, KFC had a chocolate bundt cake that I loved. This cake tastes very similar. I make it quite often. I'll probably make it again in about a week.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
This recipe is in our new cookbook - Gwen has several recipes published in it and they deserve to be published!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
This recipe is in our new cookbook - Gwen has several recipes published in it and they deserve to be published!
Yay! This is one cake!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

I have been wanting to make this cake for So long. The almond flour is rather expensive. But I picked up a KitchenAid food processor recently, and it has a serrated blade that did a great job of turning almonds into flour. I didn't have any eggs, so I had to use mayonnaise. So, I finally made this cake...and yeah, it's pretty awesome! Thanks Chickenlady!!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
This looks so good. I'd like to try it some day. Just need to find a way to sub in for the Splenda, which I'm not using anymore. Stevia isn't as easy to bake with, but I guess I'll try it.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Well 2 yrs later and we love this cake!! Haha I have learned to bake low carb and now my desserts come out great! I was reading this thinking wow, I can't believe someone didn't like this cake then looked over and realized I wrote it!! I use a different frosting because I don't care for cream cheese and chocolate. I probably used splenda when I made this cake the first time and maybe that would explain the cake not being sweet enough. I now use a few different sweeteners together for synergy.

What a difference time can make!! Learning to bake low carb took some time, but it was well worth it. Now I can have my cake and eat it too!! lol
So Gina, what frosting do you use now? I am planning on using this one for my birthday cake, which is not too far away, sigh........
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I love this cake.

Gina you should have seen us 20 years ago.Some us the stuff we made was unbearable. We've come a long way.
Speaking of which, you should have seen what I made 30 years ago. Not a whole lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to be back and here I stay, yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
So Gina, what frosting do you use now? I am planning on using this one for my birthday cake, which is not too far away, sigh........
I use this one, it's amazing!! I think it's one of Lauren's recipes. I doubled it for an 8x8 cake and it was the perfect amount.

Sugar-Free Buttercream Frosting

Makes enough to frost 3-6 cupcakes

Ingredients:

1 large egg white
1/4 cup xylitol (erythritol or honey might work as well
6 tablespoons unsalted organic butter or nonhydrogenated shortening, cut into chunks
Pinch good tasting pure stevia extract (optional, for best flavor)
Big pinch sea salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (clear imitation vanilla recommended)

Whisk egg white together with xylitol in a stainless steel bowl set over a small saucepan full of water. You don't want the bottom of the bowl to touch the water. Set heat to medium-low to bring water to a simmer. Whisk egg white with xylitol 3-5 minutes, or until xylitol is completely dissolved. Dip clean fingers into egg white mixture, and pinch for any undissolved granules. Mixture will appear white and foamy. Remove steel bowl from water, and beat egg white mixture until it has about doubled in volume, and is room temperature (cool to the touch). Beat in vanilla and salt. Add chunks of softened butter or shortening, one at a time, beating for 3-5 minutes until mixture is smooth and no longer curdled. Beat in a tiny pinch of stevia and taste for sweetness, making adjustments if necessary. Don't fret if your buttercream doesn't look smooth for awhile--it will eventually come together!

If after incorporating the butter the icing is too "loose" and soupy, sit the mixing bowl in an ice bath to cool, or stick the bowl into the freezer for a few minutes, and try beating again. If the mixture is chunky like cottage cheese, heat the bowl over the simmering water again and try beating until it comes together into a smooth icing. Use a spatula to smooth out the consistency. Transfer frosting to a piping bag, or just spread directly on cupcakes.

To revive refrigerated frosting, microwave it for 5-8 seconds, and stir around bowl with a spatula until smooth and creamy again. Whip until fluffy with beaters, if desired.

~0-26g net carbs per batch of frosting, depending on how you count xylitol
Old 09-29-2012, 03:03 AM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
This looks so good. I'd like to try it some day. Just need to find a way to sub in for the Splenda, which I'm not using anymore. Stevia isn't as easy to bake with, but I guess I'll try it.
Can you use the liquid?
Old 09-29-2012, 03:07 AM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I use this one, it's amazing!! I think it's one of Lauren's recipes. I doubled it for an 8x8 cake and it was the perfect amount.

Sugar-Free Buttercream Frosting

Makes enough to frost 3-6 cupcakes

Ingredients:

1 large egg white
1/4 cup xylitol (erythritol or honey might work as well
6 tablespoons unsalted organic butter or nonhydrogenated shortening, cut into chunks
Pinch good tasting pure stevia extract (optional, for best flavor)
Big pinch sea salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (clear imitation vanilla recommended)

Whisk egg white together with xylitol in a stainless steel bowl set over a small saucepan full of water. You don't want the bottom of the bowl to touch the water. Set heat to medium-low to bring water to a simmer. Whisk egg white with xylitol 3-5 minutes, or until xylitol is completely dissolved. Dip clean fingers into egg white mixture, and pinch for any undissolved granules. Mixture will appear white and foamy. Remove steel bowl from water, and beat egg white mixture until it has about doubled in volume, and is room temperature (cool to the touch). Beat in vanilla and salt. Add chunks of softened butter or shortening, one at a time, beating for 3-5 minutes until mixture is smooth and no longer curdled. Beat in a tiny pinch of stevia and taste for sweetness, making adjustments if necessary. Don't fret if your buttercream doesn't look smooth for awhile--it will eventually come together!

If after incorporating the butter the icing is too "loose" and soupy, sit the mixing bowl in an ice bath to cool, or stick the bowl into the freezer for a few minutes, and try beating again. If the mixture is chunky like cottage cheese, heat the bowl over the simmering water again and try beating until it comes together into a smooth icing. Use a spatula to smooth out the consistency. Transfer frosting to a piping bag, or just spread directly on cupcakes.

To revive refrigerated frosting, microwave it for 5-8 seconds, and stir around bowl with a spatula until smooth and creamy again. Whip until fluffy with beaters, if desired.

~0-26g net carbs per batch of frosting, depending on how you count xylitol
Thanks so much, Gina and Lauren!
Old 10-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EyeDoc
Stats: 122/107-109/108 5'1.5"
WOE: Mindful eating
Start Date: August 31, 2011 third time around
Quote:

Gina...could you tell me what your mix of sweeteners is for this recipe? I am "fairly" new to baking LC...I go on a stretch of baking and stop...haven't done any baking for months now. I would love to make this cake, but don't want to waste 4 cups of almond flour if it doesn't turn out!!

TIA!
EyeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

I use the measurents listed. I was thinking either my tastes have changed since or maybe I had used all Splenda the first time I made it. I like the sweetness level and taste using the splenda, erythritol and stevia that's called for in the recipe. I think I've used xylitol in place of the erythritol before with the same results. Hope this helps.