Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Golden Corn Bread...lower carbed...(pic) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/647733-golden-corn-bread-lower-carbed-pic.html)

The Chicken Lady 11-19-2009 06:15 AM

Golden Corn Bread...lower carbed...(pic)

I decided to try my cornbread recipe with all almond flour...removing the oat flour to lower the carb count and it worked very well. The almond flour makes a very lovely cornbread in fact I like this recipe better than the other.

Golden Corn Bread

3 cups-(12ounces) almond flour
2/3 cup-(3-1/2ounces) popcorn meal
1/3 cup Splenda
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1 cup…homemade LC milk

Put a cast iron skillet into the oven and preheat the oven and the skillet to 425°

Mix the dry ingredients together, make a well in the middle. Add oil, eggs, and milk in the well and mix with a wire whisk. Allow to stand for 5 minutes to give the ingredients time to hydrate.

Take the hot skillet out of the oven and place it on the stove over high heat. Put just enough oil in the skillet to swish it around good and heat the oil.

Pour the batter into the hot pan and place it in the oven and bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/w...ad006small.png

LindaSue 11-19-2009 06:22 AM

It sure looks good!

Tyl 11-19-2009 06:25 AM

yum!

Charski 11-19-2009 07:59 AM

Oh man that makes my mouth water! You've done it again, CL!

mac24312 11-19-2009 08:01 AM

Yum! I am going to make this along with Jennifer's LC Wheat Bread to make LC stuffing for Thanksgiving!!

HUGS!

MsWoods 11-19-2009 08:14 AM

Do you just grind your own popcorn kernals for the meal?

The Chicken Lady 11-19-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 12763674)
Do you just grind your own popcorn kernals for the meal?

Yes...I use a hand crank grain mill that I have to grind corn for my chickens but several people say they have used their Magic Bullet or coffee mill to grind it.

Or you can check out your local health food store for some whole kernel cornmeal. Check the carb count on it...if it's truly whole meal it should have a carb count of around 25 carbs 5 fiber for 1/3 cup.

MsWoods 11-19-2009 08:33 AM

I wonder how it would turn out without the cornmeal? I just need something to make some kind of stuffing out of but I'm not a baker at all. Those carb counts are kind of high for me right now.

The Chicken Lady 11-19-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 12763810)
I wonder how it would turn out without the cornmeal? I just need something to make some kind of stuffing out of but I'm not a baker at all. Those carb counts are kind of high for me right now.

I'm not really sure...I have heard some people say that ground hazel nuts give baked goods a cornmeal taste. You might try subbing hazel nuts for the cornmeal and see how it turns out. The texture should be right on and with enough onion, celery and sage I'm thinking it should work just fine.

Pam 11-20-2009 07:07 AM

I don't have a cast iron skillet. Will this recipe not turn out as well using a baking pan?

The Chicken Lady 11-20-2009 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam (Post 12767923)
I don't have a cast iron skillet. Will this recipe not turn out as well using a baking pan?

Yes...you can bake it in a 9-inch square baking dish or a 9-inch round cake pan if you have one that has fairly high sides.

I wouldn't do the preheating of the pan with glass...I'm not sure if the change in temp would break it or not.

Pam 11-20-2009 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady (Post 12767955)
Yes...you can bake it in a 9-inch square baking dish or a 9-inch round cake pan if you have one that has fairly high sides.

I wouldn't do the preheating of the pan with glass...I'm not sure if the change in temp would break it or not.

Thanks! Once I buy some popcorn, I'll give it a try. My DH loves cornbread.

The Chicken Lady 11-20-2009 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam (Post 12768010)
Thanks! Once I buy some popcorn, I'll give it a try. My DH loves cornbread.

Hope he enjoys it.

mac24312 11-21-2009 08:23 AM

Ok..I just made a recipe of this. Its wonderful for our friends that can have that many carbs..;) Taste just like regular Cornbread to me without all the carbs!!:clap::clap:

My adjustment were this: I made and baked in a 8 inch square corning dish. I did heat the dish up and then pour about TBS of oil in the bottom after I got it heated up.

Instead of the Homemade LC milk I used Almond Milk and use Liquid splenda instead of regular to the sweetness I wanted..:)

I just took a bite right out of the oven because I want to dry this out and use it your Cornbread stuffing..

I am in LOVE with this!!:love::love:

TY so much!
HUGS
Christina

The Chicken Lady 11-21-2009 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac24312 (Post 12772404)
Ok..I just made a recipe of this. Its wonderful for our friends that can have that many carbs..;) Taste just like regular Cornbread to me without all the carbs!!:clap::clap:

My adjustment were this: I made and baked in a 8 inch square corning dish. I did heat the dish up and then pour about TBS of oil in the bottom after I got it heated up.

Instead of the Homemade LC milk I used Almond Milk and use Liquid splenda instead of regular to the sweetness I wanted..:)

I just took a bite right out of the oven because I want to dry this out and use it your Cornbread stuffing..

I am in LOVE with this!!:love::love:

TY so much!
HUGS
Christina

I'm so glad you like it...I'm the only low carber in my family and this is the cornbread I always serve. The family loves it.

shadowzip 11-22-2009 09:58 AM

I made this yesterday minus the sweetener, and it is wonderful. I ate a chunk with some butter, yum. It is now crumbled in a bowl waiting to be made into stuffing on Thursday.

I made some regular cornbread too for the families stuffing and mine tasted better. LOL

Great Job CL

The Chicken Lady 11-22-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowzip (Post 12775952)
I made this yesterday minus the sweetener, and it is wonderful. I ate a chunk with some butter, yum. It is now crumbled in a bowl waiting to be made into stuffing on Thursday.

I made some regular cornbread too for the families stuffing and mine tasted better. LOL

Great Job CL

I'm with you...I think the almond flour makes a much better cornbread...my family thinks so too.

mac24312 11-22-2009 12:47 PM

Just made another batch of this about 2 hours ago..now drying it out in the oven to use for stuffing!!

Thanks again!

The Chicken Lady 11-22-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac24312 (Post 12776496)
Just made another batch of this about 2 hours ago..now drying it out in the oven to use for stuffing!!

Thanks again!

:welcome:

brittone2 11-22-2009 03:09 PM

Can someone please remind me...I can't find the info in the other threads, but for the popcorn meal, can I grind that up in a food processor or do I need a spice grinder?

TIA!!!

(eta: I just reread the thread and saw the info about the hand crank or magic bullet. I'm hoping the food processor works. I'm going to do a little test run in a minute :) )

shadowzip 11-22-2009 03:50 PM

I used my coffee grinder. I just sifted it before adding as it left some little chunks, about a teaspoonful

brittone2 11-22-2009 04:09 PM

I whirled them in the food processor for a few but they aren't getting ground up, which is what I kind of thought might happen. I am guessing you need a spice/coffee grinder to make this work.

On to plan B...making some carrot cake muffins I think ;)

eta: DH pulled out our blender and I think that's going to work :) Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is looking for ways to grind up the popcorn without a spice or coffee grinder.

That Girl 11-22-2009 04:45 PM

ok, here's my stupid question of the day.....sorry! what is the carb count on this new recipe w/no oat flour and also, 2/3 popcorn kernals, and then ground up or 2/3 of popcorn meal after they are ground up? i just confused myself with that question..:confused::laugh:

mac24312 11-23-2009 03:52 AM

It's 2/3 cup after grinding. Be careful. I have been using my coffee grinder and mine is only about a month old. Grinded more popcorn kernels yesterday and it gave out. Just glad I still have my receipt. Most food processors will not grind them up.

The Chicken Lady 11-23-2009 07:26 AM

According to ****** these are the numbers

Old recipe
Carbs 137
Fiber -41
Total 96 usable carbs for the whole bread

96 divided by 12 servings = 8 carbs per serving
96 divided by 8 servings = 12 carbs per serving

New recipe
Carbs 129
Fiber 54
Total 75.5 usable carbs for the whole bread

12 servings = 6 carbs per serving
8 serving = 9.4 carbs per serving

The Chicken Lady 11-23-2009 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Girl (Post 12777251)
ok, here's my stupid question of the day.....sorry! what is the carb count on this new recipe w/no oat flour and also, 2/3 popcorn kernals, and then ground up or 2/3 of popcorn meal after they are ground up? i just confused myself with that question..:confused::laugh:

3 tablespoons of popcorn kernels will give you 1/3 cup of meal...you might want to check your health food store and see if they have some whole kernel meal that has a carb count of 25 carbs and 5 fiber per 1/3 cup which is the same as popcorn.

BikerAng 11-23-2009 09:03 AM

I brought this over to a chili cook off and folks just ate it up! :) I think this version is actually better than the one with oat flour! YUM! Thanks for the recipe, the host wanted to keep the left overs - it was that good!

This makes a TON of cornbread, I easily got 12 slices - if not more. It's very filling and substantial too, a small piece is very satisfying.

I picked up a magic bullet from Costco a while ago and the smaller size tumbler and flat blade work really well to make the corn meal from popcorn. I only grind about a tablespoon at a time and sift it and regrind the bigger bits. The magic bullet is holding up to the task, but it sure makes a lot of noise when grinding! :)

The Chicken Lady 11-23-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BikerAng (Post 12779495)
I brought this over to a chili cook off and folks just ate it up! :) I think this version is actually better than the one with oat flour! YUM! Thanks for the recipe, the host wanted to keep the left overs - it was that good!

This makes a TON of cornbread, I easily got 12 slices - if not more. It's very filling and substantial too, a small piece is very satisfying.

I picked up a magic bullet from Costco a while ago and the smaller size tumbler and flat blade work really well to make the corn meal from popcorn. I only grind about a tablespoon at a time and sift it and regrind the bigger bits. The magic bullet is holding up to the task, but it sure makes a lot of noise when grinding! :)

I'm glad the cornbread was a hit...it's one of our favorite breads and my family actually likes the almond flour cornbread better than the old high carb cornbread I used to make.

I also take a slice of leftover cornbread in the morning and crumble it up in a bowl and add LC milk and Splenda and eat it as a breakfast cereal. This is something that I picked up from my Grandpa.

It's good that the magic bullet works for this...I've seen them at Walmart and they aren't very expensive. If I didn't already have a grain mill I would sure get one.

2big4mysize 11-23-2009 11:27 AM

could I use corn bran instead of popcorn meal?

The Chicken Lady 11-23-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2big4mysize (Post 12780275)
could I use corn bran instead of popcorn meal?

I don't know... I've never used corn bran.