Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack1 View Post
dreeza... did the baby corn make it taste like cornbread? I don't have any way to grind up popcorn, so I would rather use the canned baby corn. Also, I might add a little bacon grease.
Whoa, I tried to grind my popcorn last night in a really sturdy blender. Then I took the grindings (is that a word? ) and sifted them. Poured back the remains and ground it again. Then I looked on my Bob's Red Mill Organic Medium Ground Corn Meal. I believe this is sort of the same thing, so stopped what I was doing (making a mess ), and put it all back.

I think (and I have not done the math) that these will be somewhat high in carbs, so will wait until I have lost a bit more weight. Getting there, though!!!!!

Last edited by Tilly; 06-01-2011 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2011, 06:39 AM   #92
Plastic Wrap Ninja

Gallery: BigBravesGirl
Stats: 397 / 330.2 / 2??
WOE: Biggest Loser Challenge
Start Date: Feb 8, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Whoa, I tried to grind my popcorn last night in a really sturdy blender. Then I took the grindings (is that a word? ) and sifted them. Poured back the remains and ground it again. Then I looked on my Bob's Red Mill Organic Medium Ground Corn Meal. I believe this is sort of the same thing, so stopped what I was doing (making a mess ), and put it all back.

I think (and I have not done the math) that these will be somewhat high in carbs, so will wait until I have lost a bit more weight. Getting there, though!!!!!
BigBravesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:59 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
cjack1,I made the corn bread with the baby corn and it was good, but we didn't think it tasted much like corn bread. Next time I'm going to try grinding the popcorn........ Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I made a half recipe of this last night,, and YUM.. My DH was in shock, he said,, what? we are having cornbread and he loved it,, he said it was really good too.. I wish I had made the whole batch. I too have that Bobs Redmill cornmeal,, I might use it next time. Grinding those kernels was noisy and I dont want to dull my blades on my magic bullet..
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
I always use the Bob's when I make this cornbread. Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

thats good to know!! I am making more this weekend
Old 06-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #97
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Keep in mind that the reason for using the ground popcorn is that it's lower in carbs than regular cornmeal. I forget (and I'm sure it says upthread) what the difference in carbs IS but I like to grind up the popcorn!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Char, if I remember correctly, She said the carb difference was negligible I'll look and see if I can find it.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE View Post
Char, if I remember correctly, She said the carb difference was negligible I'll look and see if I can find it.
You're right that's what she said and it was in the original conbread thread started by Chickenlady but I can't find it. It was as long as the carbs per serving were around 23-25 and the Bob's brand is. I bought a package of it but have been using some home ground corn-meal I got from my Dad.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #100
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
OK, well good to know, and I'm glad you ladies have better memories than I do!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Location: Smack Dab in the center of Arkansas (Go Razorbacks!)
Gallery: arkie1
Stats: 286 highest 257/250.8/??
WOE: Low Carb-IF/cngd d to JUDDD/lc on 2/9/12 (230)
Start Date: Feb 8, 2010 IF ON 8-14-11
I use the baby corn on the cob, ground up, and we love it. It tastes just like cornbread to me. I don't sweeten my cornbread....that's too much like cake to me! I have used the ground popcorn, but that is so time consuming and noisy. I have to use my coffee grinder to do it. It's just easier for me to grind up the baby corns. Glad we have different ways to make this delicious bread.
arkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I wanted to make sure I wasn't using the wrong thing so I kept looking and after realizing I was using the wrong user name I finally found the original post. Here it is and look at post #52.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cornbread.html
Old 06-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

How do you use baby corn? is is the frozen or canned? does it not get mushy??
Old 11-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: whipper75229
Stats: 189/165.6/145 5'3.25" Age 66
WOE: Diabetic - LOW CARB FOR LIFE!! A1C 5.6
Start Date: June 2010
I think this was asked before but I didn't see an answer: would corn bran work for this recipe?
whipper75229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I've used corn bran enough now to know it dries out the end product tremendously, so I would not use more than max ¼-½ cup in ANY recipe. My cornbread uses ½c. along with other "flours" and it makes up a 9" round pan of cornbread. But the first experiment with more than that was a dried out, crumbly mess. Err on the side of not too much with corn bran to be safe.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:41 AM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Buttoni, I have recently discovered from this board that glucomannan helps keep a recipe moister. It works well with oat fiber and whey protein. I wonder if you could add a tsp. of glucomannan to the corn bran mixture to make it moister.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:03 AM   #107
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Stupid question here, how are you all making your popcorn prior to grinding it? I'm so not good at this stuff and what is the carb breakdown for the ground popcorn. I was looking at Bob Mills and saw they had a couple of stone ground corn meals that were higher in fiber.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:34 AM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I don't get the impression they are popping it first. Just grind the kernels.

1/3 cup = 25 carbs with 5 fiber.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Buttoni, I have recently discovered from this board that glucomannan helps keep a recipe moister. It works well with oat fiber and whey protein. I wonder if you could add a tsp. of glucomannan to the corn bran mixture to make it moister.
I've been adding 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of glucomannan to this recipe for quite a while and it really does help it hold together. If I make half a recipe I use 1/4 tsp and 1/2 tsp for a full recipe.

I use the Bob's Red Mill corn meal. If I'm lucky I can sometimes get home ground conrmeal from my dad who raises the corn himself and a friend of his grinds it for him.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I don't get the impression they are popping it first. Just grind the kernels.

1/3 cup = 25 carbs with 5 fiber.
Well that would make sense, why the coffee grinder isn't really standing up to it. Thanks.

Then I read this:

Then I looked on my Bob's Red Mill Organic Medium Ground Corn Meal.

I think that is the same thing I found.

I will go back and get some of that and make this up!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I also use the Bob's.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #112

THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grace
I made this today to use in my early Thanksgiving dinner on Friday. To cut the calories a bit I substituted one cup of almond meal with one cup of soy grits figuring it would have the same "gritty" texture as cornmeal and it did. I was really pleased with the results. I know some folks avoid soy but I don't.
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
I have been craveing me some corn bread,watch out kitchen here I come........lol
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
I made this today to use in my early Thanksgiving dinner on Friday. To cut the calories a bit I substituted one cup of almond meal with one cup of soy grits figuring it would have the same "gritty" texture as cornmeal and it did. I was really pleased with the results. I know some folks avoid soy but I don't.
Is the carb count for soy grits similar to almond meal? And where do you purchase soy grits?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
The texture soy grits gives is even more like cornmeal than the texture that cornmeal gives. (Or, the texture is very similar and even more desirable.)

Last edited by CreekWatcher; 11-15-2011 at 10:33 PM..
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Is the carb count for soy grits similar to almond meal? And where do you purchase soy grits?
You can try looking at the Bob's Red Mill display at your grocery store or Whole Foods, to see if those carry it in your area; otherwise that company's website can sell it to you.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I've used corn bran enough now to know it dries out the end product tremendously, so I would not use more than max ¼-½ cup in ANY recipe. My cornbread uses ½c. along with other "flours" and it makes up a 9" round pan of cornbread. But the first experiment with more than that was a dried out, crumbly mess. Err on the side of not too much with corn bran to be safe.
I have tried numerous times to use a combination of flours (and often soy grits) to make a faux cornbread, always using corn bran as a big part of the mixture. Mine has never been dry! As a matter of fact, I've been trying to figure out how to make it drier!!! Mine is always too wet/doughy! I've even added coconut flour if I'm not mistaken (unless that was just gonna be my next try), because it is supposed to make things drier! (Seems like I've had that opposite effect with several items I've baked with the coconut flour too. Not sure what I do differently!)
Actually, after looking at your recipe awhile back butoni, I was gonna try yours next. I just haven't made any yet. I only want cornbread with a few things. Chili is the main thing I want it with.
Oh, and I don't make sweet cornbread either arkie1.

Quote:
Tilly, I thought soy has much fewer carbs than almond meal. I have often used soy grits rather than almond meal in trying to make my faux corn bread because I thought the carbs were lower in the soy (also for more grit as Grace said). But I just went & looked them up. To my surprise, the soy grits was a lot higher than the almond meal. I kept thinking I was looking at something wrong, and kept looking again. Maybe I am! I did not find Bob's Red mill soy grits at Netrition, tho I did find almond meal/flour. Not sure if they have a different brand of soy grits or not. They do have Vegetable Protein, which is similar. It had the same carb count as the almond meal/flour.

ChickenLady's recipe is about twice the amount that I almost ever made, when I made cornbread. Unless I was cooking for quite a few people. Half the recipe would be what I would probably make. Right now it is still too carby for me.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 11-15-2011 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: Correction
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:31 AM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

crazywoman, can you please post your recipe here or at least a link to where you have posted it? Thank you. I do like mine sweet but that is easily remedied with a squeeze or shake of one of the many sweeteners I have.

I found an old LCF post about soy grits here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...soy-grits.html

Last edited by Tilly; 11-16-2011 at 02:35 AM..
Old 11-16-2011, 05:47 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grace
Billie, all I can say is WELL SHUT MY MOUTH!!!!! I just made the assumption that soy grits would have a lot less calories than almond flour but I was wrong. I'm just flabbergasted. So where are all those calories coming from??? Here's what I learned:

Soy grits per 1/4 cup = 160 calories with 10 coming from fat
Almond flour 1/4 cup = 160 calories with 120 coming from fat
Soy grits per 1/4 cup = 19% protein, 7 net carbs
Almond flour 1/4 cup = 6% protein, 3 net carbs

I guess the calories are from protein since they sure aren't from fat. Now I just don't know which one is better from a low-carb standpoint. Is carbier but higher protein better than less of both as far as weight loss is concerned? Off the top of my head I would guess the almond flour would be preferable but I'm really confused.
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote