Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 04:29 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
toying with the idea of doing a meat based stuffing.

yes, i know if it is outside the turkey cavity, it is dressing. But that is what we called it in our house. Just as Pluto was considered a planet at the time I was dropped off on your world. Now it has been demoted. In my house, it is still a Planet. But i digress. I am thinking of taking a small amount of ground beef and Hillshire Farm sausage, removed from the casing (the zero carb per 2 oz portion one-they make several varieties) cooking them in a stove top pan with celery, onion, mushroom, garlic, black pepper, and sage(not too much). Just to get it started, a little oil, and toward the end of the cooking, some butter ad lib. How does that sound? How would u improve it w/o added pork rinds or low carb bread? Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2009, 04:47 AM   #2
LJB

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
yes, i know if it is outside the turkey cavity, it is dressing. But that is what we called it in our house. Just as Pluto was considered a planet at the time I was dropped off on your world. Now it has been demoted. In my house, it is still a Planet. But i digress. I am thinking of taking a small amount of ground beef and Hillshire Farm sausage, removed from the casing (the zero carb per 2 oz portion one-they make several varieties) cooking them in a stove top pan with celery, onion, mushroom, garlic, black pepper, and sage(not too much). Just to get it started, a little oil, and toward the end of the cooking, some butter ad lib. How does that sound? How would u improve it w/o added pork rinds or low carb bread? Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Sounds good. I would add some low-carb bread crumbs instead of pork rinds. They expand inside the turkey cavity quite nicely.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:28 AM   #3

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I do something similar to that and I like it even better than I used to love real bread stuffing. I added some cheese to make it all sort of stick together. I'm planning to make some for myself next week to go with my turkey and Pumpkin Bake.

SAUSAGE-MUSHROOM "DRESSING"
1 pound pork sausage
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped, about 4 ounces
2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
16 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered
4 ounces Monterey jack cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper, to taste

In a large skillet, brown the sausage along with the onion and celery. Cook until the celery is tender; drain the grease. Add the mushrooms and cook until they are tender. Put the sausage mixture in a casserole dish and stir in the cheese. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Microwave to melt the cheese and heat through or bake at 350║ for 30 minutes until browned on top.

Makes 4-6 servings
Can be frozen

Per 1/4 Recipe: 509 Calories; 39g Fat; 33g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
Per 1/6 Recipe: 339 Calories; 26g Fat; 22g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BillB
Stats: 450+/293/200................ A1C: 12.4--->5.2
WOE: Atkins/VLC/Alternate Day--1g Metformin twice a day
Start Date: Last restart, June 2009 at 450+
I would fling some shrimp in there. Maybe a sprinkle of dried cranberries? Pecans. Definitely pecans.

--bill

Last edited by BillB; 11-19-2009 at 08:29 AM..
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #5

Gallery: flatferenghi
actually, trying to keep the cost as well as the carbs down

i think i will stick with my ingredients and add parsely, & some paprika for color. I think it will be palatable. I am only making enough for 2-3 portions. FF
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #6

Quote:
i think i will stick with my ingredients and add parsely, & some paprika for color. I think it will be palatable. I am only making enough for 2-3 portions. FF
No reason for it not to be palatable with those ingredients. What's not to like?
Old 11-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LeighDear
If "Stuffing" isn't actually cooked INSIDE the bird, is it still considered "Stuffing"?

I send a nod out to "Stove Top Stuffing". A VERY popular commercial and HUGE selling product. But it's made ON THE STOVE!

Decide if you want something delicious, or "technically" correct. *LOL*

I make an unbelievably delicious "Stuffing". It it NOT strictly LC, but I try.
LC bread cubes toasted & very dry. Saute Leeks, mushrooms and celery til soft in an obscene amount of butter. Dump in a bowl, then cook about 1/2 pound of chopped bacon.
Put your bread cubes, veggies and bacon in a HUGE bowl. Beat 2 eggs with a bit of Seasoning Salt, then pour over the bread/veggie mix & combine. Add 1/2 cup turkey drippings (if you have them) or chicken broth. Mush it all up so it's moist, but not wet.

Spread in a greased 13X9 pan. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes, then put the pan under the broiler to make the top layer crunchy & crispy.
LeighDear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighDear View Post
If "Stuffing" isn't actually cooked INSIDE the bird, is it still considered "Stuffing"?
I may not stuff it into a bird but I will stuff it into my mouth, LOL.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: motyok
Start Date: February 08
This one is sausage based, with lots of great veggies and egg/Parmesan cheese to bind it. It is really good.

Sausage Stuffing

2 pounds sage flavored sausage
1 pound mushrooms
3 ribs celery
1 small onion
1 pound cauliflower
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 eggs

Slice or chop vegetables in a food processor. Be sure the cauliflower is shredded finely. Brown sausage, celery and mushrooms in a skillet. Drain off grease. In a large bowl, combine meat mixture, cauliflower, nuts, spices, Parmesan cheese and stir well. In a small bowl, beat eggs. Add the eggs to the large bowl and mix well. Transfer the stuffing to a sprayed large casserole dish. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes.
motyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LeighDear
I don't see a meat BASED stuffing as complimenting the bird. You still want the turkey to taste like turkey, right? I'd say minimize other protein components.

I see bacon as "important", but not overwhelming.

SERIOUSLY, Linda Sue!

I got the original recipe from a Bon Appetite mag back in the mid-90's...the bread is supposed to be Sourdough.

The beauty is that you can use beef broth & "meaty" seasons to stuff a rolled beef roast. Or "porky" seasons to stuff a rolled pork roast, or THICK pork chops.

I've served my LC stuffing in thick pork chops to TOTALLY unaware guests. Do a quick pan gravy with the drippings and some HWC reduced down.....*lip smack* They had no clue that my WOE was more important! *grin*

Last edited by LeighDear; 11-22-2009 at 04:08 PM..
LeighDear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: slimlizzie
Stats: 186/180/148 fully clothed
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1999
Quote:
I like it I like it....
slimlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: slimlizzie
Stats: 186/180/148 fully clothed
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I may not stuff it into a bird but I will stuff it into my mouth, LOL.
slimlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote