Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: victorianandmore
Thank you! Sounds great!

Linda
victorianandmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: victorianandmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by zomzom View Post
Thank you! Sounds great!

Linda
victorianandmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #33
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
CL, I use a version of that mayo for dipping all kinds of stuff! For example, today I had 3 hot dogs for lunch with nothing but that sauce to dip them in. Actually I used mayo, sriracha, a tiny drizzle each of toasted sesame oil and soy sauce. I love the stuff!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
CL, I use a version of that mayo for dipping all kinds of stuff! For example, today I had 3 hot dogs for lunch with nothing but that sauce to dip them in. Actually I used mayo, sriracha, a tiny drizzle each of toasted sesame oil and soy sauce. I love the stuff!
When I tasted the dip before dipping my chicken all kinds of ideas for that mixture popped into my head. That is some really tasty stuff!!! Thanks!!
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cats for Texas
Stats: 210
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: December 3, 2012
Subscribing
Cats for Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:12 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lori121
Stats: Jan 232.5/203/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan 6, 2014
If you have any left can I have a piece. Please
lori121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
I just made this cake this morning, trying for something different for Thanksgiving. Most of the cakes I make that are low carb are not quite as wonderful as I would like. This cake IS!!
I didn't have almond flour but did have pecan meal, so I ground it up for flour, also, I used differing sweeteners, but it came out great, just the same. It rose in the oven like a regular cake, had a regular cake texture and a regular cake taste. No bite or whang like I've gotten from other low carb cakes.
We haven't even tried this with icing yet, but I'll make some shortly and put it on. I am anxious to try it tomorrow, I think it was Charski who said it was even better the next day?
Yep, I've found the cake for Thanksgiving. Thanks so much Chicken Lady.
lindaokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
Piggy backing on the post above, are most of you making this w/ ground almonds (almond meal) or ordering almond flour?

I never seem to get as great of results with almond meal as others sometimes do, but have never bothered ordering almond flour online.
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #39
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
Piggy backing on the post above, are most of you making this w/ ground almonds (almond meal) or ordering almond flour?

I never seem to get as great of results with almond meal as others sometimes do, but have never bothered ordering almond flour online.
I make all my stuff with Honeyville Grains blanched almond flour. It gives me the best textured products for my trouble.

I USED to use Trader Joe's almond meal (ground whole almonds) and while it was certainly GOOD it wasn't AS good as the blanched almond flour. JMHO of course!
Old 11-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3leggedtable
Stats: 244/191/184 6 feet
WOE: general low carb
Start Date: 1-29-2007
I used this cake recipe this morning but made Carrot Cake Breakfast Muffins. I cut the recipe in half and it made 10 muffins. Cooking time was 20 minutes at 350.

Very tasty.
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Made this cake last night, and it was just wonderful. DH is really pleased. Charski, I totally agree with you about the Honeyville Grains almond flour, I ordered 25 lbs, and it came in a big box. I just spooned into freezer bags and froze. Thank you so much for this recipe, and; now, its on to the Corn Bread recipe. And the pecan pie. Thanks again. Julie Linda, what sugar subs did you use. Thanks
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #42
Gadget Gal

I gave DH a small piece of this last night and he declared it wonderful too! He can't wait to have it with the cream cheese icing for Turkey Day, along with Jen's pumpkin cheese pie.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
Quote:
I make all my stuff with Honeyville Grains blanched almond flour. It gives me the best textured products for my trouble.

I USED to use Trader Joe's almond meal (ground whole almonds) and while it was certainly GOOD it wasn't AS good as the blanched almond flour. JMHO of course!

Thanks! I need to try some of the regular blanched almond flour. I've been baking low carb for a while now but never seem to get fantastic results w/ the almond meal, so i think it is time to try the almond flour for the recipes that call for it I just ordered some Bob's Red Mill.

I like the idea of having it in a muffin form. I'm assuming that would freeze well. I'm pregnant with baby #3 and am always looking for good, filling, freezable stuff that I can use postpartum...and muffins are great for eating one handed while nursing (and famished!!).
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I get my almond flour from them as well and I have very good results with it. I find I like the almond flour the best of all the low carb flours and it has a lot of good nutrition in it.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:56 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE View Post
Made this cake last night, and it was just wonderful. DH is really pleased. Charski, I totally agree with you about the Honeyville Grains almond flour, I ordered 25 lbs, and it came in a big box. I just spooned into freezer bags and froze. Thank you so much for this recipe, and; now, its on to the Corn Bread recipe. And the pecan pie. Thanks again. Julie Linda, what sugar subs did you use. Thanks
I just used what I had available. I used 1 Splenda Quick Pack, 1 heaping 1/4 t. Nunaturals No carb blend stevia and 2 heaping t. Eryitherol. I just kept tasting after each addition until I thought it was sweet enough. I'm sure the sweetness would be different w/ almond flour, although I'm not sure how much. I will continue to use the pecan meal and grind it until it's all used up.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Quote:

My opinion also! It's really a great product.
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wishbone
Stats: 260/158/160
WOE: low carb my weigh
I have this in the oven right now...doing a test run for thanksgiving. Sure hope it's as good as it smells!
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:48 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wishbone
Stats: 260/158/160
WOE: low carb my weigh
came home yesterday afternoon and made the frosting.....yes, the cake survived overnight in the frig w/o me cutting into it!
well, frosted it up and waited for dh to get home. we both thought it was :clap :
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:11 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
came home yesterday afternoon and made the frosting.....yes, the cake survived overnight in the frig w/o me cutting into it!
well, frosted it up and waited for dh to get home. we both thought it was :clap :
Cool!!!
Old 11-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rottinluv
Stats: 141/110/110 Height 5' nothing!
WOE: Low Carb / Whole, Natural Foods!
Start Date: October 24, 2007
I made this Wednesday morning, and it turned out excellent!

I baked it in a Bundt pan, and I wasn't sure how long to bake it. I kept checking it, and it didn't seem quite done. I think I left it in about 5 minutes too long, as it's just a bit dry, but the flavor is to-die-for!

For the sweeteners, I used 1 and a half cups erythritol, powdered, and 1/4 t. stevia.

All the carrot cake lovers that came over, loved it!

Thank you, Chicken Lady, for another wonderful recipe!
rottinluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottinluv View Post
I made this Wednesday morning, and it turned out excellent!

I baked it in a Bundt pan, and I wasn't sure how long to bake it. I kept checking it, and it didn't seem quite done. I think I left it in about 5 minutes too long, as it's just a bit dry, but the flavor is to-die-for!

For the sweeteners, I used 1 and a half cups erythritol, powdered, and 1/4 t. stevia.

All the carrot cake lovers that came over, loved it!

Thank you, Chicken Lady, for another wonderful recipe!

If you find this recipe a tad dry for your taste just up the sour cream to 1-1/3 cups instead of just the 1 cup. It will add moisture to the cake also it is important not to over-bake.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #52
Gadget Gal

I took the half I had frozen out of the freezer to defrost on Tuesday; Wednesday I frosted it with cream cheese/whipping cream icing. It is TO DIE FOR GOOD!

Thanks, CL, you helped make our Thanksgiving even more memorable!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post

If you find this recipe a tad dry for your taste just up the sour cream to 1-1/3 cups instead of just the 1 cup. It will add moisture to the cake also it is important not to over-bake.

1 cup sour cream? I thought the recipe called for 1/2 c? My last cake was dry, thought I overcooked it but only used 1/2 C. sour cream. Just made it yesterday morning. I was kind of disappointed because the others I made were so good. I will change my recipe to reflect 1 C. sour cream.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaokc View Post
1 cup sour cream? I thought the recipe called for 1/2 c? My last cake was dry, thought I overcooked it but only used 1/2 C. sour cream. Just made it yesterday morning. I was kind of disappointed because the others I made were so good. I will change my recipe to reflect 1 C. sour cream.
You're right...it is 1/2 cup...you could add more to that if it's not moist enough. I use frozen carrots rather than fresh and they leak a lot more moisture into a cake than fresh so I use less sour cream than if I was using fresh carrots.

I don't use a lot of carrots so instead of buying fresh and having them go bad I just buy frozen and they keep for a very long time.

I had just gotten through making a Chocolate Pound Cake and it calls for more sour cream...that's where I got the 1-1/3 cup from.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Chicken Lady. I think I will change it to 1 C in my recipe since I use the fresh carrots. It should make a difference, although the other cakes I made (I've made 3 total ) all turned out great.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

I did use fresh carrots. Maybe that's what made the difference. I bought an 8 oz. bag of shredded carrots, and chopped them up so they were more fine.

I'll definitely be making this again, so I'll just add more SC next time.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #57
Gadget Gal

I used store-bought, preshredded fresh carrots in mine - I used 1/2 cup Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and it was moist and delicious.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #58
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sltsxkt
Thank you so much for this! Portion control was impossible for me with this though, so it really needs to be a VERY occasional treat in my house!
sltsxkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:25 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaokc View Post
Thanks, Chicken Lady. I think I will change it to 1 C in my recipe since I use the fresh carrots. It should make a difference, although the other cakes I made (I've made 3 total ) all turned out great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottinluv View Post
I did use fresh carrots. Maybe that's what made the difference. I bought an 8 oz. bag of shredded carrots, and chopped them up so they were more fine.

I'll definitely be making this again, so I'll just add more SC next time.

Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
I used store-bought, preshredded fresh carrots in mine - I used 1/2 cup Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and it was moist and delicious.
Sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sltsxkt View Post
Thank you so much for this! Portion control was impossible for me with this though, so it really needs to be a VERY occasional treat in my house!
Old 11-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Maybe it was just over-baked a tad bit, then. Don't get me wrong, this cake is delicious! Making it in a Bundt pan, you get so many servings out of it, so I don't feel guilty eating two (or more) pieces a day!