Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Anyone ever Crushed Pork Skins in mini blender and use as a Crust? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/646025-anyone-ever-crushed-pork-skins-mini-blender-use-crust.html)

MsSweet 11-09-2009 01:55 PM

Anyone ever Crushed Pork Skins in mini blender and use as a Crust?
 
Today I thought I would try this. I crushed Pork Skins in a mini Blender and
I took thawed boneless chicken strips, spread mayo on each breast then rolled it in the crushed PS's then fried them. My family LOVED these..
I was wondering if anyone else had ever tried this before. It HAD CRUST! I love Crust :)

CherylB 11-09-2009 02:43 PM

I did the same thing when I have done Atkins in the past, but I put the pork rinds in a plastic bag and pulverized them with a meat mallet. I dipped the chicken strips in egg then rolled them in the rinds, and fried them. They were amazing! Isn't Atkins the best? When you can have the dip of your choice and you've found a way to make the "crust" low carb, the sky's the limit.

Happy experimentation!

Charski 11-09-2009 05:13 PM

Yes, and I love the spicy pork rinds the BEST for this!

I mix some Frank's Chile & Lime hot sauce with the mayo, dip the chicken in that, then press it firmly into the crushed spicy rinds. Boy it's good!

It's also good to mix the crushed rinds about half and half with Parm cheese (the green can kind works just fine) - it gives a nice crust and a nice flavor too.

P.S. I asked the Mods to move this to the main Recipe Help forum. I think a lot more folks will see it there!

CherylB 11-09-2009 05:22 PM

Yummmm! Good idea, sending this to the recipe forums.

Charski 11-09-2009 07:34 PM

Hey Cheryl, you're doing a good job on your weight loss - KEEP IT UP GIRLFRIEND! :hugs:

CherylB 11-09-2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 12722008)
Hey Cheryl, you're doing a good job on your weight loss - KEEP IT UP GIRLFRIEND! :hugs:

GOD BLESS YOU! I feel so "stuck", but I need to throw the scale away. I promised myself I would only weigh once or twice a week, but I haven't been sticking to that and I've been feeling "stuck". Funny thing is, it's only been four days, not a week, like I've been thinking it is. The scale is EVIL. :down:

metqa 11-09-2009 08:54 PM

Y'know how folks have jars for sugar, and flour, and corn meal?

I have jars for bake mix, almond flour and porkrind flour, already ground up and ready to use.:cool: THAT's how much I used it regularly. For breading, it's awesome, for casserole topping it's great!

MsSweet 11-09-2009 09:03 PM

CherylB awesome profile pic there. I went to a weight loss doctor. He put me on what he called the Cave Woman diet. eat only meat, cheese eggs and green thing grown from the ground.. Its great. He told me to butter on every thing i could... and eat lots of bacon.

flatferenghi 11-10-2009 04:58 AM

i use a plastic bag and a hammer....
 
works just as good as technology. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI

luvlowcarb 11-10-2009 02:15 PM

I have used pork rinds to coat chicken breasts, wings, and fish. I mix in some ranch dressing mix or italian seasoning. MMmmmmm.

Neil47 11-10-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsSweet (Post 12720579)
Today I thought I would try this. I crushed Pork Skins in a mini Blender and
I took thawed boneless chicken strips, spread mayo on each breast then rolled it in the crushed PS's then fried them. My family LOVED these..
I was wondering if anyone else had ever tried this before. It HAD CRUST! I love Crust :)

sounds great and I am the same, love a crust....:)

CherylB 11-10-2009 03:08 PM

Gotta love your Dr
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MsSweet (Post 12722288)
CherylB awesome profile pic there. I went to a weight loss doctor. He put me on what he called the Cave Woman diet. eat only meat, cheese eggs and green thing grown from the ground.. Its great. He told me to butter on every thing i could... and eat lots of bacon.

Thanks for the compliment. I went to an avatar site on line and after going through 200 pgs, I finally gave up and chose one. I like the road, because it shows I'm on a journey. No longer where I was, but no where near the end. I guess we never really get to "the end," until "the end." Is that deep, or what?

;)

rotten 11-10-2009 05:17 PM

I use a food processor to grind mine up. They get real light and feathery. I make chicken strips with them quite often. I just dip in egg, then into the pork rinds. Even my picky nephew liked em!

Charski 11-10-2009 05:27 PM

Hey Rotten, where ya been? Stick around! We like having you here!

Erica L. Butler 11-12-2009 12:44 PM

I use pulverized pork rinds ( I mash them in a Ziploc baggie with a rolling pin) to bread fried catfish, chicken, chicken fried steak, calamari. I sometimes add canister style Parmesan Cheese and unflavored Protein Powder to create a mix.

Linny 11-12-2009 05:54 PM

Whenever I make meatloaf or meatballs, I add in crushed pork rinds as a replacement for bread or cracker crumbs.

rotten 11-18-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 12726612)
Hey Rotten, where ya been? Stick around! We like having you here!

Thanks! I enjoy being here! Just been pretty busy with life and all, you know how it gets!

Yeah, pork rinds in meatloaf for bread crumbs works well, also in meatballs.

metqa 11-18-2009 03:23 PM

Thanks for the pork rinds as bread crumbs for meatloaf tip. All this time and that never occurred to me!:doh: My meatloafs are really just shaped, flavored hamburgers! :laugh:

Sheridan 11-21-2009 12:34 AM

Breading pork chops with crushed pork rinds is reaaaally good, too. :)

Erica L. Butler 11-24-2009 12:28 AM

Here's one of my recipes from my blog... The Bun is made from Pork Rinds...

BUNS!!! Almost 0 carb!


Raven's Mushroom/Asiago burger with"Bun".

Fixin's:

I sauteed 1/2 inch of onion (thin rings) with about a 1/4 cup sliced mushroom in butter, with granulated garlic. Then I set it aside.

Then, I took about three or four handfuls of pork rinds and crushed them in my hands (till I had a little more than half a cup) and added 1 egg, and two small handfuls of Mexi-melt cheese, and mixed them well. (It's a dry mix, don't be put off by this.

I added a little granulated garlic and basil to the mix for seasoning.

I poured about a tablespoon and a half of peanut oil into a crepe pan, and made two patties out of the mixture. (It tends to be prone to falling apart-- however, I'm stubborn-- I got two hand sized buns out of this, with a small "bonus bun" leftover. That one became a snack.

Then I fried them (on low medium heat) till they were golden brown on one side-- flipped them, and cooked them till they were golden brown on the other side.

Then I took some organic ground beef-- seasoned it with Trader Ho's beef grill seasoning, and made it into a patty to fit the "buns" I'd just made. I cooked it till just a little over medium rare.

I put the Onion/Mushroom mixture on top of the burger and covered that with two thin slices of Asiago cheese. I covered the whole thing with a lid that fit the pan, cooked for about 4 minutes or so-- until the cheese was well melted. I let it cool for about 2 minutes.

Then I placed the burger on one slice of the "bun" and slathered mustard over the other one, and topped the burger.

The completed burger held up all day-- I tend to eat one quarter of a burger at a time, with about 2 hours between each mini-meal. The bun did not get too soggy.

missymagoo12 12-17-2009 12:04 AM

bump

obraxton 12-17-2009 01:12 PM

cool recipe, Raven! I'm gonna mark this for sure!

CarolynF 12-18-2009 06:55 AM

I need me some pork rinds..:) I'm going to make the bun with a burger for lunch and then I'm going to oven fry some chicken with them tonight. ;)

Tyl 12-18-2009 06:59 AM

i used to make chicken tenders all the time when i first started. thanks for the reminder.

obraxton 12-18-2009 08:58 AM

how can you fry with them without them burning black b4 the meat is done? that's my major problem...they turn black immediately...

metqa 12-18-2009 09:32 AM

I bake them. or fry them in shallow oil

Or you can sit them in the fridge for 15 minutes before cooking to chill the coating so it doesn't cook so quickly before the meat. Also that helps to settle the coating so it doesn't float off as much and sully your cooking oil.

CarolynF 12-18-2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler (Post 12782676)
Here's one of my recipes from my blog... The Bun is made from Pork Rinds...

BUNS!!! Almost 0 carb!


Raven's Mushroom/Asiago burger with"Bun".

Fixin's:

I sauteed 1/2 inch of onion (thin rings) with about a 1/4 cup sliced mushroom in butter, with granulated garlic. Then I set it aside.

Then, I took about three or four handfuls of pork rinds and crushed them in my hands (till I had a little more than half a cup) and added 1 egg, and two small handfuls of Mexi-melt cheese, and mixed them well. (It's a dry mix, don't be put off by this.

I added a little granulated garlic and basil to the mix for seasoning.

I poured about a tablespoon and a half of peanut oil into a crepe pan, and made two patties out of the mixture. (It tends to be prone to falling apart-- however, I'm stubborn-- I got two hand sized buns out of this, with a small "bonus bun" leftover. That one became a snack.

Then I fried them (on low medium heat) till they were golden brown on one side-- flipped them, and cooked them till they were golden brown on the other side.

Then I took some organic ground beef-- seasoned it with Trader Ho's beef grill seasoning, and made it into a patty to fit the "buns" I'd just made. I cooked it till just a little over medium rare.

I put the Onion/Mushroom mixture on top of the burger and covered that with two thin slices of Asiago cheese. I covered the whole thing with a lid that fit the pan, cooked for about 4 minutes or so-- until the cheese was well melted. I let it cool for about 2 minutes.

Then I placed the burger on one slice of the "bun" and slathered mustard over the other one, and topped the burger.

The completed burger held up all day-- I tend to eat one quarter of a burger at a time, with about 2 hours between each mini-meal. The bun did not get too soggy.

I made this bun..very nommie..I picked up a Big N Tasty from McD's..ditched the bun and made this one..Very nice.

Aptos Gal 12-19-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metqa (Post 12876888)
I bake them. or fry them in shallow oil

Or you can sit them in the fridge for 15 minutes before cooking to chill the coating so it doesn't cook so quickly before the meat. Also that helps to settle the coating so it doesn't float off as much and sully your cooking oil.

Metga, thanks so much for posting the tip about chilling in the fridge for 15 minutes before cooking! I had given up using pork rinds as a breading because it always fell off. Last night after reading this I tried again. I let the breaded chicken strips sit in the fridge for awhile and then pan fried them. OMG, they were soooo good! I had no problem with the coating coming off. I used the spicy pork rinds and it was delicious! :p

metqa 12-19-2009 05:08 PM

Yay! I love Fried Food Success Stories! :laugh:

Mmm, now I've got a taste for breaded tenders!

AngelBren44 10-11-2010 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metqa (Post 12722256)
Y'know how folks have jars for sugar, and flour, and corn meal?

I have jars for bake mix, almond flour and porkrind flour, already ground up and ready to use.:cool: THAT's how much I used it regularly. For breading, it's awesome, for casserole topping it's great!

That sounds great!:clap:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:37 PM.