Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
MiRedkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 412
Gallery: MiRedkitty
Stats: 247/165/150, or so
WOE: Atkins with a twist
Start Date: August 21, 2003
Butter Chicken Suggestions

Does anyone have a recipe for an AUTHENTIC butter chicken recipe? I went to an Indian restaurant and had this - FANTASTIC! but when I tried it at home, it was a bit more of a sharp tomato taste and not as sweet and RICH. What am I doing wrong? Would like the opinions of some true Indian food lovers/preparers
MiRedkitty is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member
 
DelhiBelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The land of the not quite right.
Posts: 123
Gallery: DelhiBelli
Stats: maintaining at my current size
WOE: High Fat/ Mod Protein/ Low Carb
Start Date: September 2009
Being Indian, I'm definately an Indian food lover!

Here is the original recipe I use. I've tried much more involved recipes and this one always beats them all out. The key in this recipe is to use quality ingredients. I make my own chicken broth and use the best cream and garam masala I can find. I also double (sometimes triple) the butter and garam masala depending on the what the final outcome is. It's hard to get an exact recipe for butter chicken because each restaurant makes if their own special way.

Ingredients
1 onion (1/2 lb.), peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
1 fresh chili (about 1 oz.), rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
1 tablespoon salad oil
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 pounds chicken, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1/2 teaspoon coarse-ground black pepper
Salt
1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter or margarine

Preparation
1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan, combine onion, ginger, chili, and oil. Stir often over high heat until onion is lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in garam masala. Scrape mixture into a blender; add tomato paste and chicken broth. Whirl until very smooth. Pour mixture back into pan, add cream, and bring to a gentle boil over high heat (mixture is inclined to spatter). Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until reduced to 3 cups, about 5 minutes. Pour sauce into a bowl. Rinse and dry pan.

2. Mix chicken with pepper and sprinkle lightly with salt. Set pan over high heat; add 1 tablespoon butter and the chicken. Stir until chicken is no longer pink on the surface, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sauce and simmer over medium heat, stirring often, until chicken is no longer pink in the center (cut to test), 3 to 4 minutes. Cut remaining 3 tablespoons butter into chunks and stir into sauce until melted.
DelhiBelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,464
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Not sure how I missed this the first time but I sure will be trying it soon! THANKS!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:26 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!
 
PalmTreeGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 2,466
Gallery: PalmTreeGal
Stats: 181/123/115 @ 5'2
WOE: LC eclectic
I just posted a recipe a couple days ago, do a search.
PalmTreeGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,464
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I know - I was the first one that replied to yours!

Just doing what I usually do - gathering several recipes that sound good, then I morph them into my own version.

I'll be trying this soon!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,464
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
OK, I used this recipe today, did it just as posted - I had two kinds of garam masala, one smelled more "cumin-y" and one smelled more "clove-y" so I used a teaspoon of each!

OH this is good. Haven't even gotten to the "add the butter" part yet - DH is gonna flip out! THANK YOU!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,464
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
DH MADE me come back in here to add HIS specific and personal thanks for this recipe! He loved it and says, "It MUST go on the rotation of menu items!"

I have to say - it is killer good.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Linny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: NW PA
Posts: 4,801
Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Mmmmmmmm
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,464
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Oh yeah, I should've said, I used half boneless chicken breasts and half boneless chicken thighs, cut up per the recipe.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
catkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,904
Gallery: catkan
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Where do you buy garam masala? I would love to try this recipe.
catkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,464
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I got mine at Whole Foods, they have fresh spices in one of the aisles near the stevia and stuff - you can buy as much or little as you like from big glass cannisters.

I also bought some prepackaged online at that place that sells books and everything else under the sun!

SOME supermarkets may have it too - mine did not.

You can also make up your own - it's just a blend of spices. Google "garam masala recipe" and you'll come up with quite a few!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
catkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,904
Gallery: catkan
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I got mine at Whole Foods, they have fresh spices in one of the aisles near the stevia and stuff - you can buy as much or little as you like from big glass cannisters.

I also bought some prepackaged online at that place that sells books and everything else under the sun!

SOME supermarkets may have it too - mine did not.
Thank you!
catkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #13
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,464
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
You're welcome, and note that I edited at the bottom to say you can make your own too!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
catkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,904
Gallery: catkan
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
You're welcome, and note that I edited at the bottom to say you can make your own too!
I saw it now! I will google thanks.
catkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:14 AM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Bar10der's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: forsaken desert
Posts: 13,333
Gallery: Bar10der
Stats: 143/137/125
WOE: low carb beer
Start Date: on and off and on and off
Is this Butter chicken like a stew? What do you serve it with?

I am not familiar with Indian cuisine.

TIA
Bar10der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:21 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member
 
DelhiBelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The land of the not quite right.
Posts: 123
Gallery: DelhiBelli
Stats: maintaining at my current size
WOE: High Fat/ Mod Protein/ Low Carb
Start Date: September 2009
It's more like chicken in a sauce. It's traditionally served with rice or naan (indian bread), but I keep it low carb and just eat it as if it were stew-like.
DelhiBelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #17
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,464
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
It's the most delicious chunks-of-chicken-in-spicy (but not hot)-sauce you'll ever eat!

We had it over quinoa, with some steamed veggies on the side.

Can't wait to make it again (and again and again....)

DelhiBelli, I found a YouTube about making paneer - I'm gonna try it!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #18
Deb
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Deb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Okanagan BC
Posts: 20,191
Gallery: Deb
I cannot handle ginger

think if i leave it out it will make a huge difference?
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Bar10der's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: forsaken desert
Posts: 13,333
Gallery: Bar10der
Stats: 143/137/125
WOE: low carb beer
Start Date: on and off and on and off
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelhiBelli View Post
It's more like chicken in a sauce. It's traditionally served with rice or naan (indian bread), but I keep it low carb and just eat it as if it were stew-like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
It's the most delicious chunks-of-chicken-in-spicy (but not hot)-sauce you'll ever eat!

We had it over quinoa, with some steamed veggies on the side.
Thank you both. hummm...*wonders how picky DH will like this?
Bar10der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member
 
souzac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacto., CA
Posts: 365
Gallery: souzac
Stats: 183/176/145
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: March 23, 2011
I've GOT to try this!

Char, the recipe for Paneer and the video? Do you know what kind of flour? I think I have one for gram flour/chick pea/garbonzo bean flour.
souzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #21
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,464
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Souz, paneer is the fresh cheese they use so no flour in this one at all. It's just milk, lemon juice, water, and cheesecloth!

Here is the link:

Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:51 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member
 
IzzyTheTerrible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St Pete, FL
Posts: 668
Gallery: IzzyTheTerrible
Stats: 290/269/150
WOE: Listening to my body
Start Date: Every day is a new day. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyJ View Post
Where do you buy garam masala? I would love to try this recipe.
Both West and East Indian stores will carry it. You could look for a recipe online as well, each one you get or recipe you try will be different.
IzzyTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:37 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Minnas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,608
Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyJ View Post
Where do you buy garam masala? I would love to try this recipe.
My regular grocery stores have this in the spice aisle with everything else.
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:38 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member
 
DelhiBelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The land of the not quite right.
Posts: 123
Gallery: DelhiBelli
Stats: maintaining at my current size
WOE: High Fat/ Mod Protein/ Low Carb
Start Date: September 2009
Quote:
DelhiBelli, I found a YouTube about making paneer - I'm gonna try it!
Char,
Let me know how it comes out! It seems really easy, just never got around to it. My fav recipe with paneer is saag and i've never seen a recipe as good as in the restaurants.
DelhiBelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #25
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,464
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
The woman who does that YouTube on making the paneer has some yummy-sounding recipes on her website - we most recently had the kind with peas at Ambrosia Indian Bistro - DH is very fond of it!

I'll get around to it one of these fine days and you can bet I'll post results!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,356
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Charski, I enjoyed watching her video. And I bookmarked her site. She has lots of interesting authentic recipes. I don't know how many of thm I can low carb, but I am going to give it a try. Thanks for the link.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #27
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,464
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Please post anything you try and what you did, if needed. to LC it!

I'm starting to think Indian foods are some of the BEST tasting dishes around! At least the ones I've tried lately!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Linny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: NW PA
Posts: 4,801
Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelhiBelli View Post
Being Indian, I'm definately an Indian food lover!

Here is the original recipe I use. I've tried much more involved recipes and this one always beats them all out. The key in this recipe is to use quality ingredients. I make my own chicken broth and use the best cream and garam masala I can find. I also double (sometimes triple) the butter and garam masala depending on the what the final outcome is. It's hard to get an exact recipe for butter chicken because each restaurant makes if their own special way.

Ingredients
1 onion (1/2 lb.), peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
1 fresh chili (about 1 oz.), rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
1 tablespoon salad oil
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 pounds chicken, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1/2 teaspoon coarse-ground black pepper
Salt
1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter or margarine

Preparation
1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan, combine onion, ginger, chili, and oil. Stir often over high heat until onion is lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in garam masala. Scrape mixture into a blender; add tomato paste and chicken broth. Whirl until very smooth. Pour mixture back into pan, add cream, and bring to a gentle boil over high heat (mixture is inclined to spatter). Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until reduced to 3 cups, about 5 minutes. Pour sauce into a bowl. Rinse and dry pan.

2. Mix chicken with pepper and sprinkle lightly with salt. Set pan over high heat; add 1 tablespoon butter and the chicken. Stir until chicken is no longer pink on the surface, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sauce and simmer over medium heat, stirring often, until chicken is no longer pink in the center (cut to test), 3 to 4 minutes. Cut remaining 3 tablespoons butter into chunks and stir into sauce until melted.
OMGosh, this was wonderful and so flavorful. I was hoping it was more spicier but I must have had a very mild jalapeno. Next time I may add some cayenne pepper ~ Thank you for sharing your original recipe. This is definitely a keeper!!!!
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #29
lcq
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
lcq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: FAR FAR AWAY
Posts: 4,519
Gallery: lcq
Stats: 5'5": 285.4-269.6 - 198
WOE: Atkins Low Carb / VLC
Start Date: Starting for the Gazillionth time!! - 4Mar10 285.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny View Post
OMGosh, this was wonderful and so flavorful. I was hoping it was more spicier but I must have had a very mild jalapeno. Next time I may add some cayenne pepper ~ Thank you for sharing your original recipe. This is definitely a keeper!!!!
Ditto...this was amazing...thank you for sharing
lcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #30
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,464
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I'm so glad more have tried this - it's amazing.

Next time I'm gonna use one or two Serranos instead of jalapeno, and probably will only seed and devein one, which should spice things up a bit more.

I will say though, that if you have leftovers, it's definitely even BETTER a day or three later!

Thanks again to DelhiBelli for giving us this wonderful recipe!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:37 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.