Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Butter Chicken Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/645826-butter-chicken-suggestions.html)

MiRedkitty 11-08-2009 09:24 AM

Butter Chicken Suggestions
 
Does anyone have a recipe for an AUTHENTIC butter chicken recipe? I went to an Indian restaurant and had this - FANTASTIC! but when I tried it at home, it was a bit more of a sharp tomato taste and not as sweet and RICH. What am I doing wrong? Would like the opinions of some true Indian food lovers/preparers :)

DelhiBelli 11-08-2009 07:08 PM

Being Indian, I'm definately an Indian food lover!

Here is the original recipe I use. I've tried much more involved recipes and this one always beats them all out. The key in this recipe is to use quality ingredients. I make my own chicken broth and use the best cream and garam masala I can find. I also double (sometimes triple) the butter and garam masala depending on the what the final outcome is. It's hard to get an exact recipe for butter chicken because each restaurant makes if their own special way.

Ingredients
1 onion (1/2 lb.), peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
1 fresh chili (about 1 oz.), rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
1 tablespoon salad oil
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 pounds chicken, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1/2 teaspoon coarse-ground black pepper
Salt
1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter or margarine

Preparation
1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan, combine onion, ginger, chili, and oil. Stir often over high heat until onion is lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in garam masala. Scrape mixture into a blender; add tomato paste and chicken broth. Whirl until very smooth. Pour mixture back into pan, add cream, and bring to a gentle boil over high heat (mixture is inclined to spatter). Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until reduced to 3 cups, about 5 minutes. Pour sauce into a bowl. Rinse and dry pan.

2. Mix chicken with pepper and sprinkle lightly with salt. Set pan over high heat; add 1 tablespoon butter and the chicken. Stir until chicken is no longer pink on the surface, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sauce and simmer over medium heat, stirring often, until chicken is no longer pink in the center (cut to test), 3 to 4 minutes. Cut remaining 3 tablespoons butter into chunks and stir into sauce until melted.

Charski 03-15-2010 08:20 PM

Not sure how I missed this the first time but I sure will be trying it soon! THANKS!

PalmTreeGal 03-16-2010 03:26 AM

I just posted a recipe a couple days ago, do a search.

Charski 03-16-2010 07:33 AM

I know - I was the first one that replied to yours! :laugh:

Just doing what I usually do - gathering several recipes that sound good, then I morph them into my own version.

I'll be trying this soon!

Charski 03-16-2010 03:47 PM

OK, I used this recipe today, did it just as posted - I had two kinds of garam masala, one smelled more "cumin-y" and one smelled more "clove-y" so I used a teaspoon of each!

OH this is good. Haven't even gotten to the "add the butter" part yet - DH is gonna flip out! THANK YOU!

Charski 03-16-2010 06:42 PM

DH MADE me come back in here to add HIS specific and personal thanks for this recipe! He loved it and says, "It MUST go on the rotation of menu items!"

I have to say - it is killer good.

Linny 03-16-2010 06:45 PM

Mmmmmmmm :D

Charski 03-16-2010 08:01 PM

Oh yeah, I should've said, I used half boneless chicken breasts and half boneless chicken thighs, cut up per the recipe.

catkan 03-17-2010 09:43 AM

Where do you buy garam masala? I would love to try this recipe.

Charski 03-17-2010 09:46 AM

I got mine at Whole Foods, they have fresh spices in one of the aisles near the stevia and stuff - you can buy as much or little as you like from big glass cannisters.

I also bought some prepackaged online at that place that sells books and everything else under the sun! ;)

SOME supermarkets may have it too - mine did not.

You can also make up your own - it's just a blend of spices. Google "garam masala recipe" and you'll come up with quite a few!

catkan 03-17-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 13264442)
I got mine at Whole Foods, they have fresh spices in one of the aisles near the stevia and stuff - you can buy as much or little as you like from big glass cannisters.

I also bought some prepackaged online at that place that sells books and everything else under the sun! ;)

SOME supermarkets may have it too - mine did not.

Thank you!

Charski 03-17-2010 09:49 AM

You're welcome, and note that I edited at the bottom to say you can make your own too! ;)

catkan 03-17-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 13264450)
You're welcome, and note that I edited at the bottom to say you can make your own too! ;)

I saw it now! I will google thanks.

Bar10der 03-19-2010 12:14 AM

Is this Butter chicken like a stew? What do you serve it with? :dunno:

I am not familiar with Indian cuisine.

TIA

DelhiBelli 03-19-2010 12:21 AM

It's more like chicken in a sauce. It's traditionally served with rice or naan (indian bread), but I keep it low carb and just eat it as if it were stew-like.

Charski 03-19-2010 03:00 PM

It's the most delicious chunks-of-chicken-in-spicy (but not hot)-sauce you'll ever eat!

We had it over quinoa, with some steamed veggies on the side.

Can't wait to make it again (and again and again....)

DelhiBelli, I found a YouTube about making paneer - I'm gonna try it!

Deb 03-19-2010 03:04 PM

I cannot handle ginger :sick:

think if i leave it out it will make a huge difference?

Bar10der 03-19-2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DelhiBelli (Post 13271205)
It's more like chicken in a sauce. It's traditionally served with rice or naan (indian bread), but I keep it low carb and just eat it as if it were stew-like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 13273935)
It's the most delicious chunks-of-chicken-in-spicy (but not hot)-sauce you'll ever eat!

We had it over quinoa, with some steamed veggies on the side.

Thank you both. :kicking: hummm...*wonders how picky DH will like this? :p

souzac 03-19-2010 05:54 PM

I've GOT to try this!

Char, the recipe for Paneer and the video? Do you know what kind of flour? I think I have one for gram flour/chick pea/garbonzo bean flour.

Charski 03-19-2010 07:52 PM

Souz, paneer is the fresh cheese they use so no flour in this one at all. It's just milk, lemon juice, water, and cheesecloth! ;)

Here is the link:


IzzyTheTerrible 03-20-2010 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MistyJ (Post 13264419)
Where do you buy garam masala? I would love to try this recipe.

Both West and East Indian stores will carry it. You could look for a recipe online as well, each one you get or recipe you try will be different.

Minnas 03-20-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MistyJ (Post 13264419)
Where do you buy garam masala? I would love to try this recipe.

My regular grocery stores have this in the spice aisle with everything else.

DelhiBelli 03-21-2010 02:38 AM

Quote:

DelhiBelli, I found a YouTube about making paneer - I'm gonna try it!
Char,
Let me know how it comes out! It seems really easy, just never got around to it. My fav recipe with paneer is saag and i've never seen a recipe as good as in the restaurants.

Charski 03-21-2010 09:51 AM

The woman who does that YouTube on making the paneer has some yummy-sounding recipes on her website - we most recently had the kind with peas at Ambrosia Indian Bistro - DH is very fond of it!

I'll get around to it one of these fine days and you can bet I'll post results!

Soobee 03-21-2010 01:32 PM

Charski, I enjoyed watching her video. And I bookmarked her site. She has lots of interesting authentic recipes. I don't know how many of thm I can low carb, but I am going to give it a try. Thanks for the link.

Charski 03-21-2010 01:36 PM

Please post anything you try and what you did, if needed. to LC it!

I'm starting to think Indian foods are some of the BEST tasting dishes around! At least the ones I've tried lately!

Linny 03-23-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DelhiBelli (Post 12717578)
Being Indian, I'm definately an Indian food lover!

Here is the original recipe I use. I've tried much more involved recipes and this one always beats them all out. The key in this recipe is to use quality ingredients. I make my own chicken broth and use the best cream and garam masala I can find. I also double (sometimes triple) the butter and garam masala depending on the what the final outcome is. It's hard to get an exact recipe for butter chicken because each restaurant makes if their own special way.

Ingredients
1 onion (1/2 lb.), peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
1 fresh chili (about 1 oz.), rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
1 tablespoon salad oil
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 pounds chicken, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1/2 teaspoon coarse-ground black pepper
Salt
1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter or margarine

Preparation
1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan, combine onion, ginger, chili, and oil. Stir often over high heat until onion is lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in garam masala. Scrape mixture into a blender; add tomato paste and chicken broth. Whirl until very smooth. Pour mixture back into pan, add cream, and bring to a gentle boil over high heat (mixture is inclined to spatter). Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until reduced to 3 cups, about 5 minutes. Pour sauce into a bowl. Rinse and dry pan.

2. Mix chicken with pepper and sprinkle lightly with salt. Set pan over high heat; add 1 tablespoon butter and the chicken. Stir until chicken is no longer pink on the surface, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sauce and simmer over medium heat, stirring often, until chicken is no longer pink in the center (cut to test), 3 to 4 minutes. Cut remaining 3 tablespoons butter into chunks and stir into sauce until melted.

OMGosh, this was wonderful and so flavorful. I was hoping it was more spicier but I must have had a very mild jalapeno. Next time I may add some cayenne pepper ~ Thank you for sharing your original recipe. This is definitely a keeper!!!!

lcq 03-23-2010 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linny (Post 13288792)
OMGosh, this was wonderful and so flavorful. I was hoping it was more spicier but I must have had a very mild jalapeno. Next time I may add some cayenne pepper ~ Thank you for sharing your original recipe. This is definitely a keeper!!!!

Ditto...this was amazing...thank you for sharing:up:

Charski 03-23-2010 07:03 PM

I'm so glad more have tried this - it's amazing.

Next time I'm gonna use one or two Serranos instead of jalapeno, and probably will only seed and devein one, which should spice things up a bit more.

I will say though, that if you have leftovers, it's definitely even BETTER a day or three later! :)

Thanks again to DelhiBelli for giving us this wonderful recipe! :hugs:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:04 AM.