Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Pumpkin Cheese Pie for Thanksgiving (Pic incl) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/645325-pumpkin-cheese-pie-thanksgiving-pic-incl.html)

Jennifer Eloff 11-05-2009 04:05 PM

Pumpkin Cheese Pie for Thanksgiving (Pic incl)

http://AmongFriends.us/LOWCARBFRIENDS/P1020271.JPG

PUMPKIN CHEESE PIE

Thanksgiving would not be Thanksgiving for some folks without Pumpkin Pie. See below more substantial crust ideas. Powdered erythritol may be used in combination with Splenda Granular, if desired.

Crust (or other ideas below):
1/2 cup ground pecans (125 mL)
2 tbsp SPLENDAŽ Granular (25 mL)
1 tbsp oat, OR w/w pastry flour, OR spelt flour (15 mL)
2 tbsp butter, melted (25 mL)
1 egg yolk
Cream Cheese Layer:
8 oz light cream cheese, softened (250 g)
1/3 cup SPLENDAŽ Granular (75 mL)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
Pumpkin Layer:
1 cup canned pumpkin (250 mL)
2 eggs
3/4 cup SPLENDAŽ Granular (175 mL)
1 tsp cinnamon (5 mL)
1/2 tsp ginger (2 mL)
1/4 tsp nutmeg, (optional) (1 mL)
1/2 cup half-and-half cream (125 mL)
1/2 cup whipping cream (125 mL)

Crust: In medium bowl, combine pecans, SPLENDAŽ Granular and soy or spelt flour. Stir in butter and egg yolk. Spread in 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate. Cover with plastic wrap and press crust out evenly; remove plastic wrap. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven 10 minutes.

Cream Cheese Layer: In food processor with sharp blade, blender or in bowl with electric mixer, process cream cheese, SPLENDAŽ Granular, egg and vanilla extract until smooth. Pour over crust evenly.

Pumpkin Layer: In medium bowl, combine pumpkin, eggs, SPLENDAŽ Granular, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Beat well with wire whisk. Whisk in half-and-half cream and whipping cream. Pour over Cream Cheese Layer. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven 40 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Garnish with whipped cream and additional pecan halves, if desired.

Yield: 10 servings, 1 serving:183.5 calories; 5.4 g protein; 14,9 g fat; 7.0 g carbs

Graham Cracker-Like Crust:
1 cup Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix (on this board)
1 cup ground almonds
˝ cup butter, melted
1 Splenda packets

Or, simply start with 1 ˝ cups ground almonds, add maybe ź cup vanilla whey protein and 2 tbsp vital wheat gluten or oat flour, Splenda to taste and enough butter to moisten - like a short crust.

Bake crust in 350°F oven 12 minutes, or until light, golden brown.

DBrown8614 11-05-2009 05:02 PM

That looks heavenly!!!!

debkeversole 11-05-2009 05:10 PM

wow!! you did a great job!

jill72 11-05-2009 05:46 PM

Oh, my Jennifer!! That just may have to go on my Thanksgiving menu!!! I hope mine comes out as beautiful as yours did! Thank you so much for sharing your recipes with us.:clap:

Charski 11-05-2009 06:44 PM

OMIGOSH Jen - that looks STUNNING! I'll have to try it. Thanks so much for sharing that lovely-looking dessert!

Barbo 11-05-2009 06:59 PM

Jen you've done it again

Just gorgeous. I can almost taste it. yum.

SmileySue 11-05-2009 10:25 PM

The dessert portion of my Thanksgiving dinner is now confirmed.....
:love::love:

Jennifer - you RAWK!!:up:

Mona 11-06-2009 12:28 AM

I am tempted to put my face up to the screen and take a bite. Wow that looks good!

<threadjack> Charski your kitties are gorgeous! I noticed you changed your avi. :)

BikerAng 11-06-2009 10:37 AM

wow, just wow!

TXLoser 11-06-2009 10:46 AM

Dear Jennifer,
Would you like to come to my house for Thanksgiving?
You bring desert okay

:shake:

Dreamchaser 11-06-2009 08:04 PM

Oh man, that looks awesome!

pegbord 11-06-2009 11:24 PM

CRIPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mac24312 11-08-2009 11:32 AM

WOW..going to make this for Thanksgiving..TY!

Charski 11-08-2009 11:56 AM

Mona, thanks, that one is Tequila, my little Gray Ghost - she shadows me everyplace!

Jen, I told DH about this and he is very excited to have it for dessert on Thanksgiving! ME TOO!

Tweaker Geek 11-08-2009 02:04 PM

Yum - does that ever look good, Jen!

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 11-08-2009 02:12 PM

Thanks, Jen, I'm definately gonna make that pie. Julie

Jennifer Eloff 11-09-2009 10:04 AM

Wow, imagine my surprise! This thread has been quite busy. I'm sorry I've been MIA for so long. I'm busy editing my son, Jonathan's novel (based on our story) and I had company as well. You guys are all so sweet! :) Thanks. Geesh, a girl could possibly get a big head in this friendly place. :p

This is a pretty good dessert (I hope others think so too), although to be honest, I'm not a huge pumpkin dessert fan like some of you are. I did not grow up with it, and I was only introduced to it in my late twenties or early thirties - I forget when exactly. It is a big thing in Canada and the USA and probably elsewhere too. I also did not grow up with Halloween. I never could get into that. Our children enjoyed dressing up when they were really young and going door-to-door for candy, usually in minus 30 degree weather and with snow on the ground.

This dessert definitely is tastier with a combo of Splenda and powdered erythritol, although I originally made it only with Splenda. It's a dessert from Splendid Low-Carbing that I made again recently and photographed.

TXLoser :hugs: You made me smile. Also, your dogs are so cute - cuddling up like that next to each other. I miss my dog, Happy, sooo much! He died Oct. 25th at the age of 14 years and 2 months. I dreamt about him last night. I was going to take him for a walk and then I woke up. I was so sorry that I woke up. I was enjoying that dream, but even although I was dreaming, even in the dream, I knew he was dead. I wonder when the pain goes away? I shed tears most days.

Char, Tequila is gorgeous!! What a lovely face! :)

skg 11-09-2009 11:28 AM

I am just getting back to LCF after wedding and selling my place, hopeing for a little more normal life now. Glad I saw this because tis the season for pumpkin, may try it this weekend.

asizetobig 11-09-2009 02:44 PM

That looks yummy !!!

Allysmom24 11-09-2009 07:49 PM

Thanks Jennifer for this recipe. I made it today and I love, love, love the crust and the pumpkin. I can taste the egg in the cream cheese part though. Did yours taste a bit eggy? Some details- I used liquid splenda, not granular and I used Da Vinci vanilla rather than extract. Of course, it could have been that I didn't let it set enough after cooling, maybe it'll go away after a night in the fridge. Great combination of flavors!

BikerAng 11-10-2009 08:44 AM

I made this last night and it is so good! I poured it into an 8X8" pan though (wanted bars) and doubled the crust. I used xylitol and stevia to sweeten (I forgot to put sweetener in the crust but it I don't think it needed any).

Allysmom - mine didn't taste eggy. I used pastured eggs from a local farmer and they are probably more like medium than large though.

Jennifer - I'm so sorry about your dog, Happy. I don't know if the pain ever goes away, but it does lessen over time. :hugs:

Jennifer Eloff 11-11-2009 03:36 PM

Use egg white only in cream cheese layer

Thanks, Angie, for your kind words re Happy. I understand what you are saying and that makes perfect sense, as that is the way it has worked with other loss and grieving in my life. :hugs:

Thanks Allysmom and Angie for trying the dessert and for the great feedback! Allysmom, I can't recall an eggy taste, however, I believe you. How about using just the egg white or a small egg? It could have something to do with the different sweeteners we're all using, which could mask or not mask, for that matter, an eggy taste in the cream cheese filling. Which crust did you use, Allysmom? I gave several variations. Curious me. ;)

Allysmom24 11-11-2009 07:03 PM

The eggy taste went away after a night in the fridge. I've really enjoyed the pie so thanks again. I used the last crust you provided with the whey protein, almonds (I used almond flour), VWG, and butter. I'll definitely use that crust again. Thanks again for the recipe.

Jennifer Eloff 11-13-2009 05:13 AM

Thanks, Allysmom. I thought so. :D The original crust is so-so. I usually use something along the lines of the one you used - tastes really substantial too.

jill72 11-15-2009 06:53 PM

I couldn't wait until the holidays, so I went ahead and made this pie. I used MimicCreme, regular cream cheese and my (now) standard sweetening trio, Erythritol, Stevia and Sweetzfree. It's so good, I'm making it again for Thanksgiving.

Thanks, Jennifer, for coming up with such delicious and easy treats for us LCers.

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 11-16-2009 10:19 AM

Jill, could you please share the amts of each. For instance, if you want a cup of sugar, how much of each do you use? TIA Julie

Jennifer Eloff 11-16-2009 12:03 PM

Thank you, Jill - I'm really happy you liked it. I just looked at your stats - and wow!. I'm so impressed!! :shake:

jill72 11-16-2009 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE (Post 12750741)
Jill, could you please share the amts of each. For instance, if you want a cup of sugar, how much of each do you use? TIA Julie

Hard to be precise since it depends on other ingredients sometimes (chocolate vs. vanilla or cold vs. warm/room temp. for instance) but my main goal is to use all three sweeteners, so for one cup I'd probably start with 3/4 C. erythritol, 10-15 drops Stevia (I use the NuNaturals liquid concentrate) and then Sweetzfree until it tastes pretty darn sweet (maybe 10 drops or more). It could be just my taste buds, but I find I need to sweeten LC dessert recipes more than the traditional dessert recipes.

Once in a while I'll use Xylitol in place of the erythritol, but I still like to add the other two since the combination seems to taste the most like real sugar in a recipe (to me). Anyway...HTH.

Jennifer - thank you for the compliment. I don't think I'd have made it except for LC...low fat and calorie counting isn't my thing and I'd probably have starved to death lol.

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 11-17-2009 09:08 AM

Thanks, Jill, I'll try that. Julie

MsWoods 11-18-2009 07:22 AM

Ok I had been eyeballing this pie for some time now. I told my mom about it yesterday and she told me to get the recipe.We will be trying it soon. (probably minus the crust, not sure yet).