Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hipslikemonroe
Stats: 220/177.5/140
WOE: Low Carb
I made this today, and it was delicious! Probably my favorite pumpkin dessert yet. I think it'll definitely be on my Thanksgiving menu. Thank you for all your great recipes!
hipslikemonroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
MsWoods, I admire your dedication to this WOE in keeping the carbs low. Sounds like you have a nice mom.

HipslikeMonroe (cute! nothing wrong with that!) - glad you liked it and thanks for reporting. Appreciate it!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:58 AM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jlsinaz
what kind of vanilla whey protein

This dessert looks so yummy. I would like to try making the crust with the vanilla whey protein. Is there a brand that you would recommend?

Thanks,
Jackie
jlsinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Whey Protein Powder Alternatives

I am ordering Pro Blend 55 Alpine Vanilla from Netrition. It uses only sucralose as a sweetener. I'm not too fond of the idea of mixing all the different sweeteners like Ace-K (I'm not sure about its health implications) or aspartame (this one should not be used for baking) with Splenda/sucralose.

Although I have only tasted a sample - tastes great! - and have not actually used it in baking, I suspect it will be fine. It uses a combination of concentrates, isolates and hydrolyzed whey - usually this works. Concentrates (cheapest form of whey) only is a very inferior product and tastes and works differently in recipes.

Here is the link at Netrition: Pro Blend 55

I used to use this one all the time for developing my recipes: Ultimate Nutrition*ProStar Whey Protein

Ultimate Nutrition Prostar - however, now they're adding Ace-K It's a good product, though, if you don't mind the Ace-K addition.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey, Jackie - what an honor! I just realized your very first post on LCF's was a post on one of my threads. How cool is that?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
That is beautiful!!! Now I want to make that for Thanksgiving too.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #37
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I'm about to head to the kitchen to make this for our Thanksgiving!

YUM YUM can't wait to try it out. I KNOW it's gonna be scrumptious though, just like every OTHER recipe of Jen's I've ever tried!

Jen, I am MOST thankful to you for sharing so much of yourself with all of us here. We are truly blessed!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Jennifer

Jennifer,

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. I look forward to making the dessert (or should I say eating the dessert). Thanks for sharing it! My husband likes graham cracker crusts. Which of the crust recipes would you recommend that would taste the most like a graham cracker crust?

Thanks,
Jackie
Old 11-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rhapsdy
Is this best eating hot or cold? I am trying to decide if I make it tonight for tomorrows dinner or wait and make it tomorrow right before dinner?
rhapsdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhapsdy View Post
Is this best eating hot or cold? I am trying to decide if I make it tonight for tomorrows dinner or wait and make it tomorrow right before dinner?
I made it for the first time last night. Haven't really eaten it yet other than a little leftover pumpkin batter that I baked in a ramekin (I used a smaller pie plate). I would think w/ the cream cheese layer you would want it to set up to be sorta cheesecake like, and for that reason I made it ahead. But I could be totally wrong :blush: That's just how I envisioned the final product.
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Thanks...that's kinda the thought I had as well...but just wanted to see what others thought. I'll make the pie tonight and hope it turns out awesome for tomorrow.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jackie, both of the alternative crusts are graham cracker-like.

Yay, Charski - hope you like the pie today. Knowing you, it would be a little tweaked, but you're very good at that.

Thanks, Brittone, for helping Rhapsdy out with that question. You are correct. This pie must be served well-chilled.

Thank you, Chicken Lady.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! I'm off to the kitchen to finish cooking. I have to go make a couple of extra veggie dishes - Eggplant Parmigiana and Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage with thinly sliced carrot (my son likes this one). Our Pumpkin pie is 1/2 finished! Can anyone believe that?
Old 11-26-2009, 09:07 AM   #43
Gadget Gal

LOL Jen, you know me too well!

I make my crust with almond meal/sweetener/eggwhite, so I put the extra yolk into the pumpkin filling part, and I added extra cinnamon and ginger too. Otherwise it went according to the recipe! Oh, well, I DID use full-fat cream cheese too....

It looks divine, will let you know later how it turns out!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you, Jen, and your family!
Old 11-26-2009, 09:26 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Made this last night and it looks beautiful and smells awesome!! It's in the fridge chilling for our dessert after dinner tonight! Can't wait to try it! Thanks again for the great recipe and awesome picture. I must admit I'm a visual person so it's very doubtful that I'll try a recipe that doesn't have a picture to show me what my finished product should look like! *laugh*
Old 11-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #45
Gadget Gal

This was most excellent! Everyone loved it. A good squirt of homemade SF whipped cream on top (from my WhipIt dispenser) made it perfect.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great - glad it worked out fine for you, Charski. That sounds like a good addition for added sweetness. The substantial crust that Allysmom used can really "make" this pie. When I grind my sliced almonds in a food processor, the slight coarseness is really great - almost like a graham cracker crust. I'm not sure what it would be like with Honeyville blanched ground almonds. I looked at the price for the Honeyville ground almonds as people seem to rave about it - $6 per lb and then add shipping to that, so for me it doesn't make too much sense. I decided to stick with my l lb of sliced almonds for $4, which I can buy locally at PriceSmart (really Costco).
Old 11-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Jennifer, help! I made a mistake

Jennifer,

I made the pumpkin cheese pie tonight. When I was pouring the pumpkin mixture over the cheese cake mixture, it all mixed together. I used low fat cream cheese. Do you think that may have been the problem since low fat cream cheese is softer? Any ideas? I am letting it cool and will try it tomorrow. I'm sure it will still taste good, but it just doesn't look like your picture.

Thanks!
Jackie
Old 11-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #48
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Great - glad it worked out fine for you, Charski. That sounds like a good addition for added sweetness. The substantial crust that Allysmom used can really "make" this pie. When I grind my sliced almonds in a food processor, the slight coarseness is really great - almost like a graham cracker crust. I'm not sure what it would be like with Honeyville blanched ground almonds. I looked at the price for the Honeyville ground almonds as people seem to rave about it - $6 per lb and then add shipping to that, so for me it doesn't make too much sense. I decided to stick with my l lb of sliced almonds for $4, which I can buy locally at PriceSmart (really Costco).
Honeyville has a flat shipping fee of $4.95, Jen. Not sure if that applies to your address or not though! But heck $4/lb is a good price.

I just love Honeyville's products though - the almond flour is so fluffy and beautiful. It really is a good baking aid for we low-carbers!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmm, Jackie, I think you're right, it must have been the different cream cheese. Mine mixed a little, but not much. It was actually quite tasty that way and pretty to look at.

Char, I'm a bit envious. I miss the days when I had no less than two beautiful health food stores in the town close to where we lived in B.C. Here there are none. Okay, there is exactly one and it is useless - well, almost! I hardly ever go there. I get my specialty items from Netrition.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Jennifer,

The pie was great! It didn't last long at my house. Even though it didn't look like the picture, it was still yummy. Thanks for the great recipe!

Jackie
Old 11-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
subscribing--this pie will hopefully save me over the holiday!!!! Thank you Jen !!!!

Jeanne
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Jennifer, I'm not a huge pumpkin pie fan either. Partly because most people put way too much spice in it for my taste. But even when they (or I) don't, to me it is a just so so dessert. (And may have been making pumpkin cheesecakes, and I thought that was just a waste of good cheesecake. ) But.... this pie just called out to me. I made one the week before Thanksgiving, and after tasting it, decided to make another to take to my in-laws when we went for Thanksgiving. I think it is the best pumpkin pie I've eaten! Of course (like Char), I had to tweak it just a bit. (But I know I would also love it just as you made it.) I used a different crust, tho yours sounds good too. I don't usually have 1/2&1/2 on hand, but happened to when I made the first pie. I did use a little of it, but cut it back to about 1/2, and used only about 1/4 cup cream (maybe less), and the rest water. (My old standby pumpkin pie recipe used milk, so figured less cream would be fine.) The second pie, I used about 1/4 cup cream & 3/4 water. This was creamy enough for me. I also tweaked the sweeteners.
We really like this pumpkin pie!!! Thanks Jenn!!!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Bump.
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #54
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Subbing, looks sooo good.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: smileyface
Stats: 160/155/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 07
Time to start stocking up the pantry with pumpkin. I see so many delicious recipes to make. Yummy !!

Deanna
smileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
All the pumpkin dessert recipes here lately are KILLING me. Need to go buy more pumpkin!!

This one looks so awesome, I can't stand it.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shopgirl
Stats: 255/234/135
WOE: Low Carb / 5:2
Start Date: May 31, 2011
Subbing.
shopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Revised recipe

PUMPKIN PECAN CHEESE PIE
Thanksgiving would not be Thanksgiving for some folks without Pumpkin Pie.

Crust:

1/2 cup ground pecans (125 mL)
2 tbsp SPLENDA® Granular (25 mL)
2 tbsp vanilla whey protein powder (30 mL)
2 tbsp butter, melted (25 mL)
1 egg yolk*
Cream Cheese Layer:
8 oz light cream cheese, softened (250 g)
Liquid sucralose to equal 1/3 cup SPLENDA® Granular (75 mL)
1/4 cup powdered erythritol (60 mL)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
Pumpkin Layer:1 cup canned pumpkin (250 mL)
2 eggs
Liquid sucralose to equal 3/4 cup SPLENDA® Granular (175 mL)
2 tbsp powdered erythitol (30 mL)
1 tsp cinnamon (5 mL)
1/2 tsp ginger (2 mL)
1/4 tsp nutmeg, optional (1 mL)
1/2 cup half-and-half cream (125 mL)
1/2 cup heavy cream (125 mL)

Crust: In medium bowl, combine pecans, SPLENDA® Granular and vanilla whey protein powder. Stir in butter and egg yolk. Spread in 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate. Cover with plastic wrap and press crust out evenly; remove plastic wrap. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven 10 minutes.

Cream Cheese Layer: In food processor with sharp blade, blender or in bowl with electric mixer, process cream cheese, liquid sucralose, OR SPLENDA® Granular, erythritol, egg and vanilla extract until smooth. Pour over crust evenly.

Pumpkin Layer: In medium bowl, combine pumpkin, eggs, liquid sucralose, OR SPLENDA® Granular, erythritol, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Beat well with wire whisk. Whisk in half-and-half cream and heavy cream. Pour over cream cheese layer. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven 40 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Garnish with whipped cream and additional pecan halves, if desired.

Helpful Hints: For a more substantial crust, double crust (5.7 g net carbs). *You can skip the egg yolk and simply add enough melted butter to moisten.

Yield: 10 servings
1 serving
228.9 calories
6.6 g protein
20.5 g fat
4.7 g net carbs
Old 11-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
I am making this tonight and I am so angry. It overflowed in my round 9 inch. I do not know what I did wrong.
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dansamy
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 03/11/2012
This looks really good!
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote