Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Pumpkin Beignets

Since we're all in pumpkin mode - here's another one I tried last year, and it was quite good!

Pumpkin Beignets

Ingredients
1 cup canned pumpkin (NOT pie mix)
1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese, preferably sheep's milk
1.25 to 1.5 cups Carbquik
1 large egg white
1/4 cup brown Diabetisweet
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch each of nutmeg and ginger
Pinch of salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Vegetable oil, for frying

Cinnamon/Diabetisweet/granulated Splenda, for rolling

Beat all ingredients together until smooth. Form into 1.5" diameter balls. Refrigerate until ready to cook, up to 24 hours.

Heat 2-3" oil in deep heavy pan to 350*.

Fry beignets without crowding pan, turning and moving around pan to brown evenly. They will brown somewhat quickly if the oil is too hot but you have to cook them long enough for the insides to get done, a couple minutes worked for me.

Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. While still warm, roll in a mixture of cinnamon and sweetener. Best served warm but good cold too! Store leftovers in fridge. Makes about 15.

NOTE: The original recipe for these called for mashed sweet potato and didn't have the cinnamon, ginger or nutmeg. I thought the pumpkin would work fine and it did! They're really tasty, not overly sweet - in fact most of the sweetness comes from the outside dusting of sweetener/cinnamon.

Good for breakfast with coffee. Reheat in a toaster oven just til good and warm. If you don't have brown Diabetisweet, I'm sure the regular one, or a combo of erythritol and stevia, would work fine too.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Those sound good Char, kinda like donut holes! We have a brand of donut holes around here that, I must say, are a downfall for me. I buy a bag and throw it in the freezer though and only have a couple here and there for breakfast, not something I would eat every day!

I should think they would work by throwing them in a deep fryer also.
Tweaker Geek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Gadget Gal

I'm sure they would work that way, Tweak. I gave away my deep fryer because it was a pain to clean, so now everything goes in my heavy cast iron skillet or cast iron Dutch oven for frying!

These are light and wonderful. Hope you'll give them a try!
Old 10-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So, Char, I gave these a try. First off, I thought I had ricotta and I did, but when I took the lid off - phew!, was it ever sour, yukky smelling and somewhat moldy! I guess I used most of it for something else and it was longer ago than I thought. So, I threw that in the trash and used cream cheese instead. Everything else was exactly the same. The dough was much, much too sticky to roll into balls, I thought of adding more C-Q but just forged ahead. I put it in the fridge for a few hours to harden up, then I made it into balls although it was still somewhat sticky so they were a bit large. I left them in the fridge overnight. I just finished frying them up in my deep fryer and they're really not bad, but since they were too big some of the insides gushed out through the top or side and they took a bit longer to cook through. I rolled them in the cinnamon/sugar mix. I think a couple of these will make a pretty tasty breakfast and I will be trying them again.

My questions to you are, was your dough sticky? Would just the difference in ricotta vs. cream cheese make that much difference? When I do this again, do you think adding more C-Q would solve any stickiness problem?

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Old 10-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Gadget Gal

LOL Tweak! You're so like me - never let the missing ingredient stop you!

Yeah, I think that the ricotta would make a big difference - cream cheese really has a different texture, much more dense. The ones I made with ricotta were light and delicious!

But I think you could probably have added a bit more CQ to it without hurting anything, to see if it would lessen the stickiness of the cream cheese. What the heck, it's all one big experiment, right?!
Old 10-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had a couple of these this morning for breakfast with a steaming hot cup of coffee - not bad! After sitting overnight the pumpkin flavor seemed to come out more. I'm not totally happy with the inside texture but the outside browned and is kind of crispy, crispy like Dunkin Donuts chocolate cakey glazed donuts -- not that I know much about them !, but that's what they're like.

I'll try again with ricotta when these are gone, I'll eat 'em but it may take me a while.

Thanks for the recipe Char, I can see other possibilities with these as well, like maybe Chocolate?