Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Crockpot Pumpkin Butter (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/642622-crockpot-pumpkin-butter.html)

Charski 10-19-2009 08:03 AM

Crockpot Pumpkin Butter

I may have posted this before, but 'tis the season, and this stuff is really good!

Crockpot Pumpkin Butter

Recipe By : Charski
Serving Size : approx. 64

3 1/2 cups Pumpkin -- (29 ounce can)
3/4 cup Atkins Morning Start apple juice mix, prepared as directed (or other sugarfree apple cider drink mix)
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 cups Splenda (I now use the liquid stuff to save carbs)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine all ingredients in crockpot. Cover and cook on High, stirring occasionally, 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

Serving size = 1 tablespoon
Yield: approx. 4 cups

This is great on LC toast or muffins or on Carbquik biscuits - and it makes your house smell WONDERFUL for hours!

The Chicken Lady 10-19-2009 08:23 AM

I live in a very small community and have tried several times to find the apple cider drink mix with no success. Would it work just as well to add my own sweeteners and spices and maybe a little bit of diced apple?

Tweaker Geek 10-19-2009 08:28 AM

Char -- Where's the butter?:confused: Or does the pumpkin just cook down to a buttery consistency?

TXLoser 10-19-2009 08:35 AM

That sounds YUMMY
How long do you think this lasts in the fridge?

TXLoser 10-19-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady (Post 12631279)
I live in a very small community and have tried several times to find the apple cider drink mix with no success. Would it work just as well to add my own sweeteners and spices and maybe a little bit of diced apple?

Do you have a Walmart...check the aisle with the hot chocolate and teas..I think there is a sf apple cider mix..I think the brand is Alpine.

Charski 10-19-2009 08:36 AM

Tweaker, it's like apple butter - just a name for the finished product! And yes it does cook down to almost a buttery texture.

CL, I think you could substitute water and apple juice, maybe half and half - it will up the carbs a little but per serving should still be VERY low.

Check in the hot drinks aisle - you might be able to find the Alpine hot apple cider drink mix, they make a sugarfree one - or you might just want to buy some online, if you find you like this recipe!

Charski 10-19-2009 08:37 AM

LOL Diane, great minds think alike as usual!

It keeps at least a couple weeks in the fridge. I just put it in one of those plastic Ziploc containers and keep it covered.

The Chicken Lady 10-19-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXLoser (Post 12631352)
Do you have a Walmart...check the aisle with the hot chocolate and teas..I think there is a sf apple cider mix..I think the brand is Alpine.

Yes we have a Super Walmart in a town about 20 miles away...I do my grocery shopping there. I'll look again maybe they have it and I've just overlooked it.

I live in a farming community and I can buy chicken, horse and cattle feed at my Walmart but they don't carry a lot of sugar free or low carb things that other people say they get at their stores. I may just have to break down and order some online.

Charski 10-19-2009 09:09 AM

That online auction community that we all know and love has some - search for "apple cider sugarfree" and you'll find it!

SmileySue 10-19-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 12631183)
I may have posted this before, but 'tis the season, and this stuff is really good!

Crockpot Pumpkin Butter

Recipe By : Charski
Serving Size : approx. 64

3 1/2 cups Pumpkin -- (29 ounce can)
3/4 cup Atkins Morning Start apple juice mix, prepared as directed (or other sugarfree apple cider drink mix)
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 cups Splenda (I now use the liquid stuff to save carbs)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine all ingredients in crockpot. Cover and cook on High, stirring occasionally, 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

Serving size = 1 tablespoon
Yield: approx. 4 cups

This is great on LC toast or muffins or on Carbquik biscuits - and it makes your house smell WONDERFUL for hours!

Sending tons and tons of :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:to you Char!!!! I was in Central Market (similar to Whole Foods) yesterday and I saw a display of gourmet pumpkin butter and I practically drooled all over myself. You just made my day....week....aw heck - you made it all!! :clap::kicking:

Brendajm 10-19-2009 09:33 AM

what do you all use this for? It sounds yummy but I dont eat bread so I am wondering what uses you have for it.

Charski 10-19-2009 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendajm (Post 12631677)
what do you all use this for? It sounds yummy but I dont eat bread so I am wondering what uses you have for it.

You could always use it as a cheesecake or cheese muffin topping, stirred into yogurt or cream cheese, heck eating it off the spoon is pretty good!

LOL Sue, I know, I've seen those displays too, that's why I thought I'd put this up now. Hope you try and like it!

Nikki2777 10-20-2009 09:46 AM

My Whole Foods have it too. I was very tempted to buy it, but put it back.

Now, I'm glad I did. Thanks.

Nikki

Nikki2777 10-20-2009 09:49 AM

Crockpot Pumpkin Butter

My Whole Foods had it too. I picked it up, looked at it and put it back.

Now, I'm glad I did. It sounds so easy to make.

Nikki

pocahontas 10-20-2009 10:11 AM

Yummo! :cool:

2big4mysize 10-20-2009 10:17 AM

I love pumpkin butter. BUt I add a block of cream cheese to the spiced pumpkin so it is like a butter spread and don't add any sweetners.

Oh and there is a wonderful sugar free dry hot apple cider mix that folk could use instead of the Atkins stuff.

this stuff is great on flaxmeal hot cakes and with the sweetner it can be used like apple stack cake as a dessert.

love-flip-flops 10-20-2009 05:51 PM

I bought some pumpkin butter the other day at a lil Amish store I go to for my goldne flax. 1 TB has 1 carb can't beat it.. I have been eating it on flax muffins YUMMY

SmileySue 10-20-2009 08:14 PM

I made this today - the smell of it alone is amazing.....

As a treat tonight, I zapped up a bunch of cinnamon OMM's and spread on some of this pumpkin butter.

::::thud::::
:love:

The family can't say enough good things about this (and it can be mighty hard to please all of them at once!!). The only thing better that their words of praise is the look of shear delight on their faces - mine included!!

Another score from Char!:notwrthy:

Charski 10-21-2009 08:02 AM

Aw, thanks, Sue! Glad everybody liked it.

I think if you're having an open house you should definitely put a pot of this on to cook - the good smells will cause people to get out their checkbooks and write a deposit check right then and there! :rofl:

I was thinking this would be good mixed with some cream cheese and used to stuff some of LindaSue's LC crepes, then drizzled with maple syrup and topped with whipped cream and sprinkled with nuts. You couldn't GET a much more fall-like dessert than THAT!

SmileySue 10-21-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 12639407)
I was thinking this would be good mixed with some cream cheese and used to stuff some of LindaSue's LC crepes, then drizzled with maple syrup and topped with whipped cream and sprinkled with nuts. You couldn't GET a much more fall-like dessert than THAT!

You're killin' me!!!! :love::love::love::love:

Charski 10-21-2009 10:34 AM

...and then just drizzle on a little Grand Marnier and flame 'em....

:rofl:

2big4mysize 10-21-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 12639407)

never thought about adding whipped cream and nuts too but you are making my pumpkin stack cake get richer by the post yum!

SmileySue 10-21-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 12640159)

somebody call 911....I've fallen and I can't get up.......

:rofl::rofl:

Charski 10-21-2009 11:13 AM

I'm here to help! :birthday: :up:

2big4mysize 10-21-2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 12640159)

oh man burning cake for Halloween dessert what is athe carb count for that Marnier stuff?

Charski 10-21-2009 11:26 AM

It's not "cheap" in carbs but it wouldn't take but a tablespoon or two, so per serving it would be worth it!

Actually if you just want to flame it, you can put the alcohol on a sugar cube, set it in the middle of the cake, and light 'er up.

Or for 0 carbs you could always just poke one of those skinny little flashlights down in the cake! LOL!

lindaokc 10-21-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 12640411)
It's not "cheap" in carbs but it wouldn't take but a tablespoon or two, so per serving it would be worth it!

Actually if you just want to flame it, you can put the alcohol on a sugar cube, set it in the middle of the cake, and light 'er up.

Or for 0 carbs you could always just poke one of those skinny little flashlights down in the cake! LOL!

:hyst::hyst::hyst::hyst:

TXLoser 10-21-2009 03:28 PM

Made this today and gotta say..a big thumbs up here:up:

Do you think we can freeze this?
It does make a lot and don't want to waste it

2big4mysize 10-21-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXLoser (Post 12641526)
Made this today and gotta say..a big thumbs up here:up:

Do you think we can freeze this?
It does make a lot and don't want to waste it

it will sperate when it thaws but if you freeze it in an amount you could use and allow it to completly thaw before digging into it you can just stir it all back up but don't add the cream cheese to the stuff you are going to freeze before you freeze it.

Charski 10-21-2009 03:44 PM

What 2big says!

Diane, glad you made it too, and liked it. I just bought some pumpkin at Costco the other day so I need to get busy and make it again too. Today, however, I have a big pot of molé-style chili in the crockpot! Boy THAT smells goooood too!