Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellBell1234
side dishes

coming off of low fat (finally going to give LC an honest chance), I need ideas for side dishes, the main course is easy (meat ), but with low fat, my typical side dish was corn, couscous, potatoes and the like...not low carb at all! So any ideas for sides that my family will enjoy that are easy to throw together?

Thanks for any help!
KellBell1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buttonwillow
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: RE-start date Feb. 2, 2008
The recipe room has many, many recipes for vegetables.

Easiest are steamed non-starchy vegetables well-seasoned, with butter.

I also like mashed cauliflower or turnips or rutabagas with cream and butter.

My favorite is frozen, shredded spinach, defrosted and very well drained (even squeezed dry). Add salt, cream, butter, beaten eggs, and shredded cheese. Bake till set. You can google "spinach casserole" and find many variations of this dish on the web, not just on this site.
buttonwillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Try this:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ut-quinoa.html

We also really like sweet potato fries, or zucchini fries. For the zucchini, I cut up the squash into fries-sized pieces, put them in a ziploc, beat an eggwhite til frothy - add seasonings to it if you like, I love to add Frank's Red Hot sauce to it - pour into the bag with the fries, seal and shake around til all are coated. Next put about a cup of Parm cheese (the green can kind works fine) in a ziploc, and shake the fries in that, a handful at a time, until coated. Put in a single layer on a nonstick foil-lined pan, and pop into a preheated 400* oven - check at about 15 minutes, turn if they're browned, you want them to get a bit crispy and browned on all sides. Eat with LC ketchup.

Roasted peppers are wonderful too - last night we grilled stuffed buffalo burgers, and we had peppers from our garden - poblano, serrano, jalapeno - I washed them up, poked a hole in each one, tossed with a little olive oil and grilled til they were soft and a bit browned on each side. We just ate them like that! You can do that in the oven too, at about 425* or so.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
A lot of people find that they enjoy the simple taste if sauteed, baked or steamed veggies once their palate is cleaned of carb-film(lol).
So give simple veggies a try with salt, pepper, olive oil and butter.

One of my favorites is:
Heat 1T good olive oil in a skillet and shred 1/2 a small onion, a clove of garlic and 3-4 medium zucchini in it and saute for 2-3 minutes then add 2-3T grated parmesan cheese, stir and serve
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Charski - YUM! I'm going to have to try your zuc fries!! Thanks!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellBell1234
Thanks! There are some really good ideas here...I appreciate it! I just thought of an old one I used to make too, that I love...layer salad...lettuce, diced celery, mayo, shredded cheese, bacon bits.
KellBell1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Check out Linda Sue's website. Here is a family favorite.
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LeighDear
SO easy to adapt either shredded Zucchini or grated Cauli to whatever major food "focus" side dish you are going for.

BASE RECIPE: Grate 3-4 medium washed (not peeled) Zucchini or Yellow squash. Scoop all the shreds in a HUGE micowave-safe bowl. Cook on high heat for 5 minutes...stopping the micro every 1 1/2 minutes to stir the shreds so they pre-cook evenly. Pull the bowl out & dry the "shreds" on paper towels, to remove most of the moisture

Drop into the bowl, 3-4 heaping scoops soft cream cheese. Mix throughly with your seasonings, then put in the baking dish....

If you want Italian, then add about 1 cup shredded Mozz to the squash mix, then top with grated Parm.

If you want American, then add cheddar & bacon bits....Top with more more Cheddar.

If you want Mexican, then add some chopped green chilis to the squash, add about 1 cup Shredded Monterey Jack, then top with crumbled Queso Fresco.

If you want Greek, then add grated lemon rind, Mint & Oregano the the squash, add a few "clumps" any preferred Goat cheese, then top with Feta...

Turn the Veggie/Cream Cheese/Seasonings/Cheese mix out into either an 8X8 greased square pan, or a 9" greased Pie Plate....Then Bake at 375 for about 20-25 minutes, til it's browned & bubbly.

Really, you can't lose with combining pre-cooked veggie shreds with seasonings & cream cheese..Then topped with MORE cheese....

Last edited by LeighDear; 10-18-2009 at 03:58 PM..
LeighDear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Charski, Will you come to my house and cook for me. I can't offer you much, maybe a coconut cream pie, which I can make and it is really good. You'll need to stay about a year. Thanks Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
You haven't lived till you've eaten steamed broccoli dipped in mayo.

ETA: Hellman's/Best Foods only, please.

Last edited by Perdita; 10-18-2009 at 06:02 PM..
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE View Post
Charski, Will you come to my house and cook for me. I can't offer you much, maybe a coconut cream pie, which I can make and it is really good. You'll need to stay about a year. Thanks Julie
Sure, Julie, write a note to my hubby explaining why HE must cook for himself for a year though - we'll see if it flies!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jo2621
Stats: 225+ now 135 5'5" 48 y.o.
WOE: LC maintenance since 2008
Start Date: June 2007
For something quick with a grilled meat or a nice light dinner by itself, we like "loaded" broccoli: Lightly steamed broccoli, topped with butter, sour cream & chives, shredded cheese and real bacon bits.

Also this is great when you go out to eat...if they have steamed broccoli and they serve baked potatoes with toppings, we always ask for this.
jo2621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
Loaded broccoli sounds like genius.
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:14 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jo2621
Stats: 225+ now 135 5'5" 48 y.o.
WOE: LC maintenance since 2008
Start Date: June 2007
Another favorite of ours is what I call Eggplant Augratin. You can make as much (big pan) or as little (individual dishes) of this as you want. It is one of those leftovers that gets better each day it sits. Makes a nice side or meatless dinner with a big salad.

For a 9"x13" dish I take 4 or 5 small eggplants and peel with a vegetable peeler (unless you know the skin is not bitter, but I usually don't take a chance.) Slice them lengthwise in about 1/4" slices. Rub them on each side with a little olive oil and lay them out in single layers on a foil lined baking sheet.

Roast them @ 400 until they are getting soft and browned but not mushy. I flip them once.

In your greased pan of choice, put in a thin layer of marinara sauce. Add a layer of the eggplant, fitting it in so there aren't a lot of gaps. Sprinkle with a dried Italian seasoning or fresh herbs if you have them and ground black pepper. Add another layer of marinara and then a good dose of what ever kinds of cheese you want (Italian blend and/or sharp cheddar are good). Top with another eggplant layer, seasoning and marinara but don't put cheese on top yet.

Put some foil over the dish and bake it at 375 for about 20-25 minutes or until it starts to bubble. Pull the dish out of the oven, top with more cheese and let it make for about 5 more minutes to melt the cheese.

Let it set a few minutes to firm up before you cut it.

*I don't use any extra salt because usually the cheese and sauce are salty enough.*

YumYum.