Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
lighterbeing, let us know how it turns out Sounds yummy. Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2010, 07:17 AM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
A friend of mine shared this recipe ~ she gives it a big thumbs up. I have not tried it yet because I cannot find quinoa around my area but may be ordering some off the internet. I also do not know carb counts on this but if anyone tries it, can you post your reviews?

LASAGNE with QUINOA

1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb hamburger or veggie burger
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
1 can peeled tomatoes or 4 roma tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp salt
2 tsp oregano
3 cups quinoa, cooked (make sure it is rinsed good before cooking!)
1/4 lb mozzarella cheese, crumbled
1/4 lb parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 lb ricotta cheese

Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until browned. Add hamburger, cook until browned. Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, salt and oregano. Simmer.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put layer of this sauce in bottom of 13x9x2-1/2" baking dish, following with layer of quinoa and layer of cheeses.

Repeat two more layers ending with sauce and extra Parmesan cheese on top. Bake about 35 minutes.

Serves 6-8.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:06 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chickamomminy
Stats: 248/183/148
WOE: Atkins (modified)
Start Date: April 2009
I am SO excited about trying this. As a type II diabetic that's trying to keep my numbers low through diet and exercise alone, I am always looking for new ways to expand my food choices. For me, even the Dreamfields pasta is too carby, causes spikes where it does not for others. So, keeping my fingers crossed and buying some to try this weekend! Thanks for all the great info and recipes- I'll let you know how it effects my glucose readings...
Chickamomminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #94
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
MMMmmmm, that sounds yummy! I'll have to put it on my list of "must try this using Quinoa!" recipes. THANKS!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MNLisaB
Stats: 222/155/140??
WOE: low carb, portion control
Start Date: 9/1/06
Wouldn't a serving of quinoa be carbier than a serving of Dreamfield's?? More protein, I know, but carbier?
MNLisaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
It might be carbier but for one who cannot eat Dreamfields due to blood sugar spikes, I'm going to be giving it a try and see if it raised my bs or if I'll be able to incorporate it into my eating.

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: snooks86
Stats: 6 ft, Past 270/Present 230/Goal 175 lbs
WOE: Atkins Induction
love, love, love quinoa.

quinoa>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>brown rice

i like it as a breakfast cereal with soymilk, diced apples, cinnamon, and tad of agave nectar.
snooks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Let us know about your experience with quinoa. On NY day, I used some as a rice sub in a jambalaya/gumbo kind of dish, very tasty.
MNLisaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #99
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNLisaB View Post
Let us know about your experience with quinoa. On NY day, I used some as a rice sub in a jambalaya/gumbo kind of dish, very tasty.
We had blackeyed peas/ham hocks and quinoa on NY Day! Boy it was goooood too.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrs_munro
Stats: 167/127/130
Start Date: July 2003
I bought a big bag of Quinoa at Costco, and have been doing some experimenting! Good stuff that. Anyway, I was watching Rachel Ray awhile back and saw her make Butternut Couscous....so I made it but with Quinoa. Family loved it.
mrs_munro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:09 AM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Is Quinoa pretty much interchangeable with Couscous in recipes?
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:24 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

My vote is YES

It cooks very quickly, (done in 15 minutes) therefore faster than brown rice, it may be a better option for you, depending on which plan you follow.

It does have a soft, couscous consistency, quite lovely, it starts out looking like birdseed, but when cooked, like tiny little soft spirals of grain. First time I made it for my family, we had it with huge shrimp, garlic, peppers and onions in a creamy kind of alfredo sauce, it was wonderful to be able to soak up that creamy goodness with a grain like product, and not feel too guilty about it.

For stricter lc, could used cauli rice, am sure you could find this recipe in Linda Sue's great site.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLynnB View Post
It might be carbier but for one who cannot eat Dreamfields due to blood sugar spikes, I'm going to be giving it a try and see if it raised my bs or if I'll be able to incorporate it into my eating.

Sheryl
I am very interested to know how your experiment works out. I can't eat Dreamfields either because it causes my blood sugar to spike as well. I have been wanting to try quinoa for some time now but I've been afraid to go to the expense of ordering it for fear I wouldn't be able to eat it.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #104
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
1/2 cup is what we use for a serving. It's very adequate!
This is a 1/2 cup COOKED or UNCOOKED?
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:15 PM   #105
Gadget Gal

Cooked.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #106

Ok, so I tried this last night. Very filling but I'm not sure if I cooked it wrong or not long enough.

Is this suppose to have a bit of a crunch to it?
Old 01-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #107
Gadget Gal

It has a little "tooth" to it but shouldn't actually be crunchy!

I do 2 cups quinoa to 3.5 cups water or broth in the microwave for about 5 minutes on high and 10 minutes on 50% power. Then let it stand for another 5 to 10 minutes and fluff it up.

The little "tail" should sort of show itself when it's done - it looks like a little round curlique on the seed head.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #108

The little tail thingy separated from the seed itself so I have both now, not curly attached to seed. Maybe an old package? It is "to the teeth" so I guess I did cook it right. Has a strange, musky flavor/smell also.

Never mind!! Just read that it does separate so I'm fine. Will be making the hot cereal for breakfast tomorrow.

Last edited by Beeb; 01-14-2010 at 09:56 AM..
Old 01-14-2010, 09:55 AM   #109

Just found this recipe and have made it as low carb as I could. Any other ideas would be appreciated. This sounds so darn good!!!

Quinoa Pudding

2 cups quinoa, cooked (basic recipe)
3 cups low carb milk (maybe light cream and water instead?)
½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/3-cup s/f honey or sugar sub
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup almonds or walnuts, ground
3 eggs, beaten
½ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
½ tsp lemon or orange rind, grated
1 Tbs butter
1 tsp lemon juice

Combine all ingredients. Pour into greased baking dish or greased individual custard cups. Bake in 350-degree oven until set, about 45 minutes. Serve hot or cold, topped with yogurt, cream or apple juice. Serves 4-6.

This recipe was borrowed from an old favorite that originally called for rice. Quinoa substitutes nicely to almost any recipe designed for rice.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 01-14-2010 at 10:10 AM..
Old 01-14-2010, 10:22 AM   #110
Gadget Gal

Hmmm, mine certainly doesn't smell musky! Did you rinse it well first before cooking? Unless the package says it is prewashed, you need to do that to remove the saponins from it, otherwise it will smell/taste kind of funky.

The organic bag of it I buy at Costco is prewashed. The stuff I get in the bulk bins doesn't say so I always put it in a fine wire colander or sieve and rinse it really well before cooking.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:00 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrs_munro
Stats: 167/127/130
Start Date: July 2003
Beeb, the Quinoa Pudding was great! Made it last night as written, and served it warm from the oven with a splash of heavy cream over it. The flavour was great, and the texture was very nice, surprisingly not at all wet/custardy, more dry...I guess from what I remember, closer to a bread pudding than a rice pudding. There were 8 generous servings. I'll make this again, I can see changing up the flavourings to make a cinammon maple pudding.
mrs_munro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Okay, my first experiment was a disaster. I 'rinsed' the quinoa, but did not soak it. Obviously, mine was not pre-washed...lol...and EWWWW! It was extremely unpleasant. When they say bitter, they mean BITTER!

Never one to give up, this morning, I was craving oatmeal. I'd read quinoa made a nice hot cereal. This time, soaked the quinoa (twice as long as I was supposed to, was not taking any chances!). Half cup of quinoa, a cup of water, threw a splash of splenda in the water and a pinch of salt. Cooked for about 15 minutes on the stove. During the last few minutes, threw in a bit of flaxmeal, some cinnamon, a pat of butter and a bit of heavy cream to taste. OMG...I am in breakfast cereal HEAVEN.

Now, to wait two hours and test my blood. I am soooooo hoping this works for me, as it is delicious (and I have the leftovers in the fridge just waiting for tomorrow's breakfast- and will cry if I have to throw it out)!

As of today (3/29/10) I have lost 65 pounds!!! 35 more to go!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #113
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Has anyone used quinoa flour? I picked some up today, Bob's Red Mill brand. Their label describes it as "Use this delicate flour when baking. You can substitute this flour for half of the all-purpose flour in many recipes or completely replace wheat flour in cakes and cookie recipes."
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Wow, Dottie, that is interesting! I have been meaning to get some from our specialty grocery store. I will try this one of these days.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:29 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Has anyone used quinoa flour? I picked some up today, Bob's Red Mill brand. Their label describes it as "Use this delicate flour when baking. You can substitute this flour for half of the all-purpose flour in many recipes or completely replace wheat flour in cakes and cookie recipes."
Dottie, a while back I did some investigating of quinoa flour and found that it would not be what I had hoped for - a complete substitute for regular white flour. If memory serves I got this information from the Ancient site. It seems that the quinoa flour is bitter when used on its own. They did say that it could be used as substitute for part of the regular flour in a recipe. I think we will have to experiment with the quinoa flour and report our findings. I have yet to buy the quinoa flour but intend to shortly.
Dixie Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #116
Gadget Gal

I ground up some quinoa into flour in my VitaMix and used it for something, I don't remember what it was now, and was disappointed with the results - OTOH I'm quite certain I didn't use half quinoa and half regular flour! LOL!

So it may require more experimenting. Also, I used the quinoa I purchased at Costco, which is already prerinsed, so if anyone else wants to grind their own to try, I suggest getting the kind that is ready to go!
Old 01-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickamomminy View Post
Okay, my first experiment was a disaster. I 'rinsed' the quinoa, but did not soak it. Obviously, mine was not pre-washed...lol...and EWWWW! It was extremely unpleasant. When they say bitter, they mean BITTER!

Never one to give up, this morning, I was craving oatmeal. I'd read quinoa made a nice hot cereal. This time, soaked the quinoa (twice as long as I was supposed to, was not taking any chances!). Half cup of quinoa, a cup of water, threw a splash of splenda in the water and a pinch of salt. Cooked for about 15 minutes on the stove. During the last few minutes, threw in a bit of flaxmeal, some cinnamon, a pat of butter and a bit of heavy cream to taste. OMG...I am in breakfast cereal HEAVEN.

Now, to wait two hours and test my blood. I am soooooo hoping this works for me, as it is delicious (and I have the leftovers in the fridge just waiting for tomorrow's breakfast- and will cry if I have to throw it out)!
Quinoa is definitely a keeper for me; just maybe not for breakfast. My BG was about 10 points higher than I'd expected- but, this afternoon, with no other changes to my diet (had a nice lunch and all)- my numbers dipped down to 98! First time I have seen a reading below 100 in ages. Now, it could be a coincidence, but the quinoa was the ONLY change I made today. So, somewhat psyched...
Old 01-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #118
Gadget Gal

I'm glad it works for you - maybe for breakfast, try eating a small piece of ham or some bacon with it? Or add some cream to it, or butter? Not sure how you ate it but I find if I add some fat to it and have a little protein I'm good to go for HOURS. I don't test blood sugars though so couldn't say whether or not it affected me in THAT way - just paying attention to how I feel.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #119
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Cook the quinoa according to package instructions and add some butter and cheese to it right at the end. Kind of like grits
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #120
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Barkley View Post
Dottie, a while back I did some investigating of quinoa flour and found that it would not be what I had hoped for - a complete substitute for regular white flour. If memory serves I got this information from the Ancient site. It seems that the quinoa flour is bitter when used on its own. They did say that it could be used as substitute for part of the regular flour in a recipe. I think we will have to experiment with the quinoa flour and report our findings. I have yet to buy the quinoa flour but intend to shortly.

In my experience there is no complete substitute for white flour-usually specialty flours like quinoa, spelt, rice, tapioca etc only replace a portion of the white flour called for especially if your goal is to bake a loaf of white bread.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote