Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
I have seen quinoa spaghetti and other pastas in a grocery store. I have not tried them yet but I intend to. It will add a whole other dimension to cooking. I wonder if there is a quinoa flour. That would help with baking etc. Just curious if any of you have the same questions.
Dixie Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Getting my quinoa tomorrow..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #33
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Barkley View Post
I have seen quinoa spaghetti and other pastas in a grocery store. I have not tried them yet but I intend to. It will add a whole other dimension to cooking. I wonder if there is a quinoa flour. That would help with baking etc. Just curious if any of you have the same questions.
They DO make a quinoa flour, which I happen to know for sure because I got a box of it by accident at Whole Foods! I took it back because I didn't have any recipes for it at that time.

Let us know if you try it!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNLisaB View Post
Tried this once, but did not know about rinsing, hoo boy, that bitter taste got to me, threw out the entire package. Very , too.

For those of you that eat this, does the rinsing process really work? I love bulgur wheat, but sounds like this grain is way superior to bulgur.

I am planning on trying it real soon, and will buy the Bob's Red Mill brand.

This is from a review I read about quinoa:

Most brands say that they're pre-washed. That doesn't mean that their quinoa won't require yet more washing before it'll taste good. Bob's Red Mill does a great job, with no bitter taste whatsoever.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Trader Joe's tan quinoa isn't bitter either. I also got some red quinoa at my health food store and it's not bitter.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #36
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Biker..I saw some Inca Red Quinoa at my hfstore today..Is that good?
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #37
foxy librarian

Gallery: stargirl21
I tried red quinoa from Whole Foods last week. It tastes a lot nuttier than the tan kind. I really enjoyed it.
stargirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creativelc
Quote:
I tried the Quinoa pasta, and liked it a lot. I had the elbows and they seem to be lighter than the regular elbows. On their website they have a nice variety of pasta shapes available. My Publix store only has the elbows, and I am trying to get them to carry more. They are in the process of setting up a gluten free area due to customers requests.
creativelc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativelc View Post
I tried the Quinoa pasta, and liked it a lot. I had the elbows and they seem to be lighter than the regular elbows. On their website they have a nice variety of pasta shapes available. My Publix store only has the elbows, and I am trying to get them to carry more. They are in the process of setting up a gluten free area due to customers requests.
This news is encouraging! Where are you located? Publix is where I saw the pasta and if I remember correctly they had 3 or 4 different shapes along with the spaghetti. I live in a rural area but do my shopping at Publix in Montgomery, AL. I am definately going to get some quinoa pasta on my next trip to town.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creativelc
Quote:
This news is encouraging! Where are you located? Publix is where I saw the pasta and if I remember correctly they had 3 or 4 different shapes along with the spaghetti. I live in a rural area but do my shopping at Publix in Montgomery, AL. I am definately going to get some quinoa pasta on my next trip to town.
I am located in Florida. The Quinoa pasta is Ancient Harvest (www.quinoa.net). They have other pasta shapes available on line. If I am unable to get it in the store, I will probably order it direct.
The manager at the store is receptive to getting more shapes, but we shall see! Right now, they only have the elbows. I do wish that they were low carb, but I have become gluten intolerant since a severe allergic reaction to Bactrin, and this is a great find. On the front of the box it says, "You'll never go back to plain noodles again". I'm hooked!
creativelc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:30 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativelc View Post
I am located in Florida. The Quinoa pasta is Ancient Harvest (www.quinoa.net). They have other pasta shapes available on line. If I am unable to get it in the store, I will probably order it direct.
The manager at the store is receptive to getting more shapes, but we shall see! Right now, they only have the elbows. I do wish that they were low carb, but I have become gluten intolerant since a severe allergic reaction to Bactrin, and this is a great find. On the front of the box it says, "You'll never go back to plain noodles again". I'm hooked!
I was reluctant to try quinoa since it was not low carb but my body does not seem to know that since my blood sugar is lower when I eat the quinoa and I lose weight. I can't wait to try the pasta.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Got some quinoa! Thanks for the inspiration, Char--you rock! Hoping it'll provide a chewier, higher protein alternative to an oatmeal breakfast.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #43
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
Got some quinoa! Thanks for the inspiration, Char--you rock! Hoping it'll provide a chewier, higher protein alternative to an oatmeal breakfast.
Lauren, knowing YOU, you'll come up with umpteen different ways to use this, and I can't WAIT to see what they all are!

I think you're gonna love it....
Old 10-08-2009, 02:35 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Char! Ahh this stuff is yummy. Again I say--you rock! Going to be trying some of your savory quinoa ideas...

I just cooked up 1/2 cup in the micro with water, sweetener (erythritol), and a healthy pinch of sea salt. Can believe how quick you can make it in the microwave. Took 1/2 of the yield (1/4 cup dry) and stirred in 1/4 cup pumpkin, vanilla, a splash of coconut milk, stevia, a lot of cinnamon (actually pumpkin pie spice), and 1 tablespoon of hemp protein powder. It's a super filling cheap warm breakfast! Couldn't even eat all of it. Quinoa rocks! Much better than mushy ol' oatmeal. It's slightly chewy and very substantial.

"I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget. I've got a perfect body 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat."

Last edited by jacksmixedtape; 10-08-2009 at 02:40 AM..
Old 10-08-2009, 07:42 AM   #45
Gadget Gal

Lauren, woohoo! I'm so glad you liked it. Your concoction sounds good too.

I'll be interested to hear how it holds you - if I eat oatmeal, even freshly-cooked steelcut oats with cream and a side of bacon - I'm starving to death within 2 hours. Quinoa (being higher in protein and NOT a grain) doesn't do that to me!

Let the serious experimenting begin....
Old 10-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rottinluv
Stats: 141/110/110 Height 5' nothing!
WOE: Low Carb / Whole, Natural Foods!
Start Date: October 24, 2007
Thank you soooo much for starting this thread!! I bought a bag of quinoa from Costco awhile ago, and I still haven't tried it yet.

I'll be sure and let you all know how it goes.
rottinluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #47
Gadget Gal

Leanne, if you're anything like ME with this stuff - as soon as you try it, you'll go back to Costco and get some MORE! LOL!

I have 4 bags in my pantry....
Old 10-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mybelle29
Stats: 270/238/160
Start Date: Every morning
IQuinoa! That stuff is awesome!
Mybelle29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
All these ideas with Quinoa sound wonderful. Thank you, Char.

Your concoction for breakfast does sound nice, Lauren. How much water to 1/2 cup quinoa?

I have never eaten quinoa. I saw it in one supermarket here, so will buy a packet next time to try it out. Thanks again!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Char, it really kept me full for hours, unlike oatmeal! The texture of quinoa is so much nicer. I mixed the second half with a homemade pad thai sauce, egg, dried shrimp, and green onions. Made a nice lunch! It is so filling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
All these ideas with Quinoa sound wonderful. Thank you, Char.

Your concoction for breakfast does sound nice, Lauren. How much water to 1/2 cup quinoa?

I have never eaten quinoa. I saw it in one supermarket here, so will buy a packet next time to try it out. Thanks again!
I used 1 cup water to 1/2 cup quinoa and cooked it, covered, for 6 minutes in the micro. Stirred and cooked it for 3 more minutes on 50% power and let it sit for a couple minutes. Perfect texture! You'll love it Jen (and come up with some great ways to use it, you clever cook).
Old 10-09-2009, 06:25 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Thanks, Lauren, for your detailed instructions. I will definitely try your suggestions - sounds like a super alternative to oatmeal, which I have occasionally, but it tends to mess with my blood sugar sometimes, making me feel shaky and hungry hours later. Hope your studies are going well.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Biker..I saw some Inca Red Quinoa at my hfstore today..Is that good?
I really like it. It doesn't taste all that much different to me than the tan variety though. Maybe a tad nuttier? It's looks really pretty though, especially in quinoa tabouli.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
Char! Ahh this stuff is yummy. Again I say--you rock! Going to be trying some of your savory quinoa ideas...

I just cooked up 1/2 cup in the micro with water, sweetener (erythritol), and a healthy pinch of sea salt. Can believe how quick you can make it in the microwave. Took 1/2 of the yield (1/4 cup dry) and stirred in 1/4 cup pumpkin, vanilla, a splash of coconut milk, stevia, a lot of cinnamon (actually pumpkin pie spice), and 1 tablespoon of hemp protein powder. It's a super filling cheap warm breakfast! Couldn't even eat all of it. Quinoa rocks! Much better than mushy ol' oatmeal. It's slightly chewy and very substantial.
Yum, that sounds great for a quick breaky! It may not be super low carb, but quinoa doesn't affect my blood sugar like oatmeal or other grains.

Last edited by BikerAng; 10-09-2009 at 10:53 AM..
Old 10-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MNLisaB
Stats: 222/155/140??
WOE: low carb, portion control
Start Date: 9/1/06
tried and liked it!!

After a good rinsing, I drained this and "toasted" it at medium heat for 15 minutes in a dry no stick pan, gave it a nice subtle nutty flavor prior to cooking.

I then used a two to one ratio of liquid to grain - used Maggi tomato-chic broth flavoring, a tiny pinch of saffron, simmered for 15 minutes, took off the heat, let sit for 5 minutes, then added a nice pat of butter.

My kids looked at it, pre rinsing and were amazed this bird seed stuff actually was quite tasty.
MNLisaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:18 PM   #55
Gadget Gal

I just had some alongside my "hot turkey sandwich" with rotisseried turkey breast, 1 slice Ezekiel bread, and homemade gravy, thickened with Thicken Thin Not/Starch and a little heavy cream. The quinoa is a great vehicle for gravies and sauces!

Glad your kids liked the "bird seed" Lisa! LOL!
Old 10-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Oh Char, just have to thank you for your short rib recipe. I had never, ever made them, thinking they were all bone and no meat, so why bother. I saw some at Sam's Club, took your recipe (tweaked a bit, of course!!) and WOW, do we have a winner here.

This bird seed stuff would also make a great side for those short ribs...insert drool smiley right here.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #57
Gadget Gal

Oh, I'm glad you tried the short ribs, they're a fave around this house - and thanks for reminding me too, because the weather is taking a turn for the cool and supposed to rain HARD next week - that is comfort food to the max for us!

Were the ribs at Sam's boneless? Costco has the boneless ones which are very meaty and really tasty! And heck YEAH, the bird seed with the rib sauce on it - oh yum......
Old 10-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Only have Sam's Club nearby, they have bone in ribs, but turns out there is plenty' o 'meat on them.

We just had our first snowfall , the only thing good about this is my body will have to burn more calories to stay warmer.

Take care, Char, love your beautiful avi, I have a houseful of those furbabies myself, nothing like a purring kitteh on my lap or tummy to keep me warm.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #59
Gadget Gal

Thanks, Lisa! That is one of my newest acquisitions - after we lost our 22 year old Lucky in March, I adopted two from the SPCA! That one is St. Pauli Girl, aka Pauli, amongst other nicknames. She's about a year old. The other one, Tequila, is gray with white tuxedo, about a year and a half old. And no, we didn't name them - the SPCA staff had named them when they brought them in! LOL!

They were brought in together, they had been found in an abandoned house with 5 other cats, no food or water. I tell ya what - they got it GOOOOOD now! DH and I just love them both.

Back to the ribs, I think the bone-in ones actually have more flavor, but either way, they're tasty!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 10-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
After hearing so much about this seed/grain, and after seeing this thread, I went out and bought some regular and red quinoa. Hubby had diabetes and I had my doubts since it had so many carbs in it. I'm pretty careful about what I feed him, but had read on here where Dixie said that when she ate quinoa her blood sugar was lower and she lost weight.

Hubby had some last night and this morning his blood sugar was 86!!!! His blood sugar has never been that low. He's going to try it again tonight and see what happens. Now, if I could only lose weight with it like Dixie does.

Thanks, Charski, for starting this thread.
lindaokc is offline   Reply With Quote