Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #91
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Jennifer..the butter separated for me a couple of times. I found once the butter (along w/ the sweeteners) melted, I let it simmer for a couple of minutes before adding the peanut butter, then I added the remaining ingredients. It came out fine. When I just melted the butter and sweeteners, then added the peanut butter, then the remaining ingredients, the butter separated. Go figure. Does that make any sense to you?
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
I think I get it, Pam. Thank you. However, I'm tempted to use half the butter now since that is almost how much literally separated out. But more that - I'd like to make this treat a little less calorific. I'll just have to make it again soon and try the new version. This time I will remember to simmer a couple of minutes. Thanks for the tip!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1annewil
Stats: 165/156/150
WOE: Atkins/JUDD/Potato Hack/
The butter separates for me too. It is still so god. I put half a Lindt bar on top-let it melt and spred it like a choco topping. Refrig. I made it yesterday and way overdid it. saving up to have 2-just 2-tonight. Thanks, Jennifer. Anne
1annewil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Anne. I think we have way too much butter in this recipe and should cut it down by half plus do the simmer thing. I poured off what separated and sadly threw it down the drain, added more vanilla whey protein and then froze and refrigerated. Yummy! It is a flexible recipe and fun to play with I imagine.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #95
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Jennifer...I'm going to make this again using 1/2 stick butter (1/4 c.) and see how it turns out. My DH says "why fix it if it's not broken"? If the flavor and texture is the same, then I certainly don't mind cutting back the fat and calories. Again, Jennifer, we LOVE this recipe!
Old 06-05-2010, 05:11 AM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Pam. Your hubby is right - if the way you make it works and he loves it, I wouldn't mess with it, however, I'll print the new revised recipe for those having a little trouble with it. I'll have to test it first though.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Creamy Chewy Toffee

I started making these again this morning but forgot that I'm out of coconut!

I decided to add 1/2 cup chocolate whey protein (instead of the coconut) to the recipe in addition to the 1 cup of vanilla whey protein powder that I'd already added. Remember I only used 1/4 cup of butter - turns out for this toffee confection I could have used 3 tablespoons butter and it would still have been fine. I had to mop up excess fat with a paper towel.

Then I pressed it into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan and froze it. When hardened cut into little squares - lots of chewy, creamy toffee flavor! I think this could remain refrigerated rather than frozen. It is possible to reduce the amount of erythritol to 1/3 cup as this was pretty sweet.

Remember those creamy toffee bars from our youth? Okay, I'm talking mainly, I think, to other oldies like myself over 50. That's what it reminds me of and it also reminds me of those small square toffees with ribbed surfaces you could buy in a can (probably still can). I think my paternal grandfather used to hand those out.

If anyone tries this, let me know if you agree or if you like it.

NOTE: In remaking the recipe, I discovered that the butter did not separate. Allow the butter-sweetener mixture to cool down a bit before adding the peanut butter. It will still melt easily. Then add the remaining dry ingredients. If the mixture is too hot, the butter might separate.

Nutritional Analysis of the Creamy Toffee: cut 9 x 4 squares = 36 servings (a little goes a long way to chewy satisfaction)
48.5 calories; 3.9 g protein; 3.7 g fat; 0.9 g carbs

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 06-05-2010 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: Nutritional Analysis
Old 06-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #98
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Linda, I think you are right. I added the chocolate chips when the mixture was quite a bit cooler and already in the pan - I'm sorry I goofed on that. I made this recipe only once if I recall and then again today. I'm thinking I must have used loaf pans because the fudge is way thicker in that pic than when I made it today in an 8 x 8" pan. I think I like it thinner actually. I cut them into very attractive squares which I'll serve on Sunday for tea along with other goodies.

Anyway - really yummy recipe - but not a perfect recipe. I think one can cut the butter by half because my butter separated out today and I'm not sure why - some ingredient is different. I think I used evap milk last time and this time milk (cream is horribly expensive here) but surely that won't make a difference? Maybe my coconut was less absorbent - I think I'm using a different brand. In any case, I don't think it would hurt to use only 1/4 cup butter (fewer calories!).
Thanks, Jen! I like the less butter idea, too. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this recipe and if I can cut some calories to eat more at one time I'm all for it!

Last edited by Beeb; 06-05-2010 at 11:25 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Revised Recipe

Here you go, Linda - the revised recipe. I don't have the ingredients to test it with less butter (should work though) but I have made the Creamy Toffee version - also very nice, however, a totally different confection.

FUDGEY PEANUT BUTTER COCONUT SQUARES
These sweet fudge-like squares are very rich but quite low in carbs.

1/2 cup granulated erythritol (125 mL)
1/4 cup whipping cream, OR (50 mL)
evaporated milk
Liquid sucralose to equal 1 cup (250 mL)
1/4 cup butter (50 mL)
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter, (125 mL)
(sugar free, salted is fine)
1 1/2 cups desiccated coconut (375 mL)
(unsweetened)
1 cup vanilla whey protein (250 mL)
1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (75 mL)
1/2 cup sugar free chocolate chips, OR
70% Lindt bar, chopped (optional)

In double boiler or in heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine erythritol, cream, sucralose and butter. Over medium heat, stir mixture until very hot and erythritol has dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Stir in peanut butter until melted. Then add coconut, vanilla whey protein powder and chopped nuts of choice. Turn mixture out into an 8-inch (20 cm) square glass dish. Press chocolate chips into cooled mixture, if using. Refrigerate. Freeze one hour to help the mixture set faster.

Yield: 25 servings
1 serving
114.8 calories
4.0 g protein
9.9 g fat
1.5 g carbs

Variation: Creamy Chewy Toffee: Omit coconut, nuts and chocolate. Add 1/2 cup chocolate vanilla whey protein in addition to the vanilla whey protein. Use only 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter. Press into a 9 x 5 x 3-inch (2 L) pan.

Yield: When not fully solid, cut into 36 little squares (9 x 4). 1 serving: (48.5
calories; 2.9 g protein; 3.7 g fat; 0.9 g carbs)

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 06-08-2010 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: Nutritional Analysis
Old 06-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #100
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I you, Jennifer! Thanks so much!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're welcome, Linda - back to you.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:49 AM   #102
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jumpingbean
Stats: 5'11"/135
WOE: Low carb/high fat
This is such a wonderful recipe!!!! It's a delicious and very filling treat. Thank you SO MUCH, Jennifer, for coming up with this. This is going to be a staple for me.
jumpingbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're so welcome, Jumpingbean!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #104
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
This sounds so deelish!! I cannot wait to try this one!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:12 AM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawnyama, did you try this one?

Bumping for the holidays! This is a good one too.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:13 AM   #106
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Jennifer, I was going to bump this up, too; but you beat me to it. I made this last week. I've lost track as to how many times I've made this. I'm getting ready to make it again...just can't get enough of this stuff! Jen, I do have a ? about your revised recipe. Does it taste just as good with less butter? I'm still making the original recipe.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #107
Junior LCF Member

This recipe sounds DELIGHTFUL!!!!! Thank you for posting it.....bump to subscribe.
iheartcookiecrumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:24 AM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL Pam, I didn't know you were still making this! That's great. I think cutting out some of the butter will affect it only slightly (I don't remember if I tried it). The calories will be fewer, obviously, but there will be less volume, so I'd tend to put the mixture in mini loaf pans or 2 regular loaf pans, so that the fudge is not too thin. If you do try it before me, Pam, let us know how you like it with reduced butter in the recipe.

iheartcookiecrumbs - hope you try it. It's good. Do let the mixture cool before adding the peanut butter.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 12-18-2010 at 07:30 AM..
Old 12-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #109
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Jennifer, I will try it with less butter next time (which will be very soon...I just this recipe)! I don't put it into a pan, I drop the mixture by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper, refrigerate, then remove from the waxed paper into a ziplock container. DH and I go through this like water. I just can't thank you enough for this recipe!!!!!
Old 12-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow! You're welcome, Pam. What a great idea to do it that way. I like it! Your DH is a lucky guy!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:57 AM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
these look VERY yummy...but i DO NOT like shredded coconut...is there something one could sub for that?
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carrie - I'm not sure - maybe sesame seeds! It will be a different confection, but it may work quite well.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I made these without the coconut and they came out fine.

I didn't put in the correct amount of sweetener in the first time, so I just took them out of the fridge, heated them back to liquid-ly and added more sweetener, and back in the fridge.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: whoknew
WOE: SyndromeX
Start Date: June 2007
These are wonderful! Even my dh enjoyed them waaaay toooo much! I left one in the refrigerator for ME as a treat the next day......oh well, at least he washed the pan when he was finished! This will be one of my regular recipes! Thanks so much for sharing! dianne
whoknew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: newyorkmeg
Stats: 247/152/healthy 5'8"
WOE: Just LC
Start Date: 10/09
This is the first thing I am making when my kitchen is completed. I lost a bet to my husband, so I have to cook the first dinner. This will be dessert
newyorkmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Dawnyama, did you try this one?

Bumping for the holidays! This is a good one too.
Not yet, but I am off today. Now one question....which one to make?? There are so many versions. I am thinking the first one posted and go from there, with the tweak of cutting the butter down. I will let you know what I try!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #117
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
I just made these. They taste good, but I'm not sure they're going to "harden" up! I used the Davinci's plain syrup for the 1 cup liquid splenda and wonder if it was just too much liquid? I hope it hardens enough to make into bars. I guess I could just eat it by the spoonful, but that's not exactly what I was shooting for. Anyone else do this?
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
generally, reference to "liquid splenda" is the concentrated version, ezsweets which can be bought on netrition. so i would say yeah, too much liquid...your batch may have to be enjoyed with a spoon.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #119

I just put mine in the fridge. If they taste as good cold as they do warm...am I in trouble. I might not need to eat the "regular" non-LC brownie for dessert that everyone else will be enjoying. These are fantastic!!!! I use the tweaked version Jen posted on post #99 with these tweaks: I have no "e" so used Diabetasweet; didn't have peanut butter so used almond butter. Thank you so much for this Jenn!! Another winner over here!!! I am in love with the chocolate coconut protein squares. Yummmmm!!!!!!

Julie--I used just 1 TBL of my liquid Splenda which is equivalent to 1 cup and it is very crumbly. So I have the opposite problem!! LOL. I suppose you added too much Davinci and could possibly add some protein powder or more peanut butter to harden up a bit more???
Old 12-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawn, thanks for your kind words. You must be the first to try the recipe with only 1/4 cup butter. If it was crumbly, I'm so sorry. I guess we should not mess with what works! Pam, I hope you see this before you try the recipe with less butter. I think I must pm you.

Oh dear, Julie - liquid sucralose is concentrated, so 24 drops of it per cup, I believe, if I recall correctly.