Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SmileySue
Stats: 332/125, size 2 Maintaining since 3/08!!
WOE: Low carb and clean eating/whole foods
Start Date: 9/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24312 View Post
Ok...I made this yesterday but I used Chocolate whey protein powder in them..I cant quit eating them!!
Ooooohhhh, I'm going to try that on my next batch! Thanks!!
SmileySue is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Tryinghardtolose - Sorry to hear about your friend.

Bella - you have a good point there!

Christina - glad you liked it! You're right it would work well with the chocolate whey protein powder as well.

SmileySue - so happy the family could not tell it was low-carb. That is really the acid test, isn't it! I giggled at your sneakiness! I think I may have done something similar once or twice myself. It's amazing how biased the non low-carbers will be sometimes, just on principle! Hehe
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tamari
WOE: no guilt allowed
I'm definitely going to make this for Thanksgiving. I was nervous about not having an easy recipe for a LC dessert (I'm a terrible baker!), but this looks quite easy and delicious. Looking forward to doing a test run next weekend. Thanks for the recipe!
tamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:55 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
I made this last night and I ate way too much. It was the best thing I have ever tasted.
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Just a little FYI: For some reason EAS whey protein pwd doesn't do very well in these types of recipes. I knew that from the peanut butter candy recipe that was on here awhile back. (I believe it has been referred to on here somewhere.)
But, either forgetting or just decided to try this one with it anyway, I made a variation of this yesterday... While it did "make", it isn't nearly as good I'm sure as it would have been had I used a different protein pwd. Just doesn't blend right, nor have the right texture.
I had decided to try using the chocolate pwd like Christina did rather than vanilla. The Chocolate that I had was EAS, so that is what I used. Not very chocolaty at all (I never get as chocolate a taste as I want from any of the protein pwds I've tried anyway tho), and just not the right texture. I know that I would have gotten a better texture with Designer Whey, and probably with Body Fortress (or a number of other brands).
Not saying you shouldn't make it using the EAS, just letting you know it will probably not give you the same results as you see pictured here. And you really have to do a LOT of pressing to get it to form together rather than be loose (for want of a better description).

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
I agree with you Billie..I use Designer Whey...I don't like Eas at all..Should have made that clearer...sorry..

All of mine are gone already..going to make a double batch tomorrow...
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I like the EAS fine for putting in shakes (I rarely ever make a shake with just protein pwd - any brand). But it doesn't do well in these type foods. I knew that from a previous experiment, but did it anyway. After a few hours in the freezer, they aren't too bad, but not as good as they should be. I sometimes do get the Designer Whey, but usually get the Body Fortress.
Again tho, I'm never happy with the chocolate flavor from any I've ever tried. Doesn't stop me from buying and using the chocolate tho. I think I should have stuck to the vanilla pwd (or even the vanilla praline) for this recipe tho.

Just thought I'd give others the caution on the EAS & this recipe.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:06 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I ate them all up and made them again. This time I made them without any powdered sweetners and with only sugar free syrup. Actually chocolate flavor. They were just as yummy.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:03 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dear, sweet Babsy - thank you!

Billie, thanks for that useful information. Some time ago, I bought some vanilla whey protein powder that is made with only whey concentrates and it was horrible - the texture and flavor is so off. It was such a waste of money too, and it is still sitting on my pantry shelf. I don't know what to do with it! Maybe it will be less noticeable in a shake. This whey is made by Fit Lab.

Butters, hope you enjoy the confection. Baking just takes practice and if you can read English, you can follow a recipe, and bake. Believe in yourself. When I started to bake in my twenties for the first time, I baked loaves and muffins until everyone was practically sick of them! Then a friend taught me to make cheesecake - no brainer here - just need a food processor. Keep it simple and you'll be fine.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Christina, you really liked this one!
Old 10-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes GF..this is one of the best LC fudge recipes I have made...I am going to make vanilla and chocolate both tomorrow that way I will have enough to eat on for a week or so..maybe!!

Making another round of your CC cookies also..can you not tell that my TOM is here again?? Hormones and cycles are not getting better..getting worse

Keep posting your recipes on here and you will end up with all of them on here out of you cookbooks... Joking!

How is your dog doing?

Blessings!
Christina
Old 10-09-2009, 06:19 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Christina, hope you can get a handle on the hormonal issues. Maybe look into Maca? Do a search on the internet or my blog. Also, DHEA and progesterone help as they are the precursor to hormones and your body can work with them. I don't trust the hormones that doctors prescribe, because of my own personal experiences, which were not great.

Several of the recipes that I share are new (like this fudgey confection), plus I'd rather share several of my recipes (not all) from my cookbooks to hopefully bless others at this point. I only have so many books left (not many), and when they're sold not too long from now, I'm not sure I'll print them ever again - unless the demand increases and low-carbing picks up again, then I may consider it.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:58 AM   #43
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Jen, I sent you an email, not sure if you got it - what is the name of the most recent cookbook with the diabetic recipes? Someone is asking about it!

Thanks!
Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:29 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oops, sorry, Char - life is so hectic this end. My emails are stacking up. I'll go find it right now.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tamari
WOE: no guilt allowed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Butters, hope you enjoy the confection. Baking just takes practice and if you can read English, you can follow a recipe, and bake. Believe in yourself. When I started to bake in my twenties for the first time, I baked loaves and muffins until everyone was practically sick of them! Then a friend taught me to make cheesecake - no brainer here - just need a food processor. Keep it simple and you'll be fine.
Aw, thanks! I can't wait to try them!!
tamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #46
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Oh, Jennifer...these are absolutely delicious! I didn't have granulated E, so I used about 2/3 cups powdered. I also used crunchy peanut butter and didn't add the nuts or chocolate. I did need to add about 2 or 3 tablespoons cream because the mixture was rather dry. I didn't use a pan. I dropped by tablespoonfuls on waxed paper, then put in the freezer. Thank you. thank you,thank you, Jennifer for this excellent recipe!
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: threas
Stats: 5'6"~243/226/170-160
WOE: LOW CARB
Start Date: FEB.6th,2009
Jennifer, these sound wonderful!!! Can't wait to make them!
Thank you for your recipes.
threas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:05 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Pam - happy you liked them. Theresa, thanks - nice to see you too.

Today is a rainy day here and I'm contemplating - what to make, what to make - probably some crunchy almond crackers, I think. Love those - they're based on the Almond Thins, except I find my version easier to make.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:56 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made 2 more rounds of this yesterday afternoon...a quick fix since my back is out again...

Still wonderful as always Jennifer..very cold here..only in the 40s today...

Blessings!
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:35 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh no, Christina! Your poor back. Do you have a nice, firm mattress?

Wow, that is nice and cool. I can only imagine. I have the fan on me at the moment.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Did letting it boil ruin it? I just made these and I think I messed it up. I let it come to a small boil on the stove(wasn't paying close attention). It looked fine when I was mixing the rest of the ingredients in, but after I poured it in the pan it was all greasy on top..like the butter was coming to the top. I stuck it in the freezer anyways, but not sure how it's going to come out, I guess I will see in a while.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I just took this out of the freezer and it was fine. Now I will put it in the fridge and see how it goes. This is a delicious recipe by the way!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #53
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
bumping..... for those who have not tried this fabulous candy!
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:01 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SugarPop
Stats: 225/143.0/125 (5'2")
WOE: Atkins/ LowCarb
Does anyone know if Jay Robb Whey is equivalent in taste to the Designer Whey? I wanna make this, but don't want it to be funky and will buy the other if everyone recommends it.
B
SugarPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ok, I made them a little different again. I used one little packet of truvia for the sweetner. I used almond butter instead of peanut butter. I used very little coconut, since that was all I had. I added the 85% lindt.

Next time, I will try to use half a stick of butter instead of the whole thing. I will use little bit of coconut and the same almond butter. I will also only use half a bar of the lindt. Oh, and I wont use any nuts like before.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

oh, and I will shape them like cookies like I did before.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Babsy, you really like this recipe! You're getting very creative with it. I confess I haven't made it again, but sometime I will.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yes, I do, and each time I am trying to reduce carbs and calories as much as I can and it still has great flavor.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:32 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just bought some coconut extract. Just one more way for me to reduce the carbs. Hehe. I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh my. Listen to what I just did. I took 1/4 cup of heavy cream put in skillet. Added a little over a stick of butter and added 1/2 cup of almond butter. Since it is raw, I cooked it for a while. Yummy, did it start smellin good. I also added 1tsp of coconut extract and 1 packet of Truvia. Then I added my vanilla whey powder and even let that get toasty some since it all tasted like those wedding cookies or russian teacakes whatever ya want to call them and I used to toast those cookies before I ate them. Then I let it cool some and put in half of a 85% lindt bar chopped up and I mixed it and formed cookies and put in freezer.