Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: micki641
Stats: 181/173/135 5'5
WOE: Clean Low Carb
Start Date: 7/01/10 For the last time!!
I'm looking for advice on how to bake pies and freeze them or should I say, freeze baked pies....mostly apple and (you've probably never heard of it, Rasin pie). We're doing food swaps at Xmas and my family does not LC, so they would be non-lc pies.... My family members rarely bake and because I make my own crust, my Grandmother's recipe, that is what they have requested I make. I want to get a jump start because it's looking like I'll need to make about 18-20 pies
Could you tell me how to reheat them, and how long they can be kept frozen?

Thanks,
Michelle

micki641 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Bumping up for more ideas. Keep 'em coming!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #33
FLUFF'S FAVORITE BUBBE!!!

Location: What am I doing in this basket and why is it so warm in here????
Gallery: helenback
Quote:
Originally Posted by micki641 View Post
I'm looking for advice on how to bake pies and freeze them or should I say, freeze baked pies....mostly apple and (you've probably never heard of it, Rasin pie). We're doing food swaps at Xmas and my family does not LC, so they would be non-lc pies.... My family members rarely bake and because I make my own crust, my Grandmother's recipe, that is what they have requested I make. I want to get a jump start because it's looking like I'll need to make about 18-20 pies

Thanks,
Michelle
I am sooooo not the baker in our bunch, so I would be of no help to you, so sorry sweety. I hope someone answers though, because I would love some ideas on this myself! I also have a friend who bakes a lot I will ask her!
helenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NGJ26
WOE: Keep It Simple
Start Date: August 2009
All you OAMC fans have go to check out this thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...e-weekend.html
NGJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:38 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DivaWannaBe
Stats: 346/336/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 02/9/12
Bumping! Hoping for more ideas. My freezer is EMPTY and I would love to fill it up. Also, the thought of cooking once a month intrigues me, especially with the busy holiday season coming.

Keep those ideas coming!
DivaWannaBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:14 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CopperAnnette
Stats: 160/138/130 5'3" 46
WOE: Modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2007
Michelle, you can assemble the pie, and freeze it on a cookie sheet, then put in a zippy bag or wrap really well in plastic/foil. We had wild apple trees LOADED with fruit at our cottage over the summer, so I made tons of pies, both regular and semi-low carb. I froze several unbaked. You just pull them out of the freezer and bake as usual (for apple, I start at 425 for about 15-20 mins, then lower to 350 and bake until done). They take a bit longer to bake, but not as long as you'd expect. They are just as good as fresh. I actually prefer to freeze them unbaked.
CopperAnnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by micki641 View Post

Thanks,
Michelle
Michelle - I'm with Annette, I freeze them unbaked and then bake as she indicated. I don't think they are as good if baked, frozen and reheated, my personal preference. As for how long they'll keep, it really depends on your freezer - I have a chest-type freezer and I've kept pies for 2-3 years (I know, I know, not recommended! ), baked them off and no one knows that they are not freshly made and baked. I actually just found one in the bottom of my freezer a month or so ago that was 5 years old, dated Sept. '04!. I was going to dump it but said what the heck, I'll bake it off and then decide. Well, it was just as good as ever, I served some to my Mom who loves my apple pies and she was saying how good it was, I said you'd never know it was 5 years old, would ya?

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wendalina
Stats: start: 196 goal: 165
WOE: Livin la vida LOW CARB!!!!
Start Date: September 22, 2008 - again!!!
gotta have this thread!!! these are some great ideas!
Wendalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #39
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Great thread! Bumpity bump bump bump...
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
I want to be apart of this thread. I freeae everything I have leftover. and use it when I can't stand the thought of cooking another night. Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tea cup
Stats: 152/127/124? 5'2"
WOE: Low carb, fast 5
I freeze practically everything I cook and here are a few things you might not think of.

cauli rice in individual size portions

brown rice individual portion size(this takes so long to cook that I make a ton of it so I can freeze it)

dreamfields pasta individual size portions

chipotle peppers in adobo sauce- who can use a whole can in a recipe? Not me. Mash flat so you can just break off some to use.

extra spaghetti sauce

grated ginger root

lemons for juice

I like to cook up 5 pounds of ground beef with onions and seasoning and freeze in 1 pound sizes.

I buy a bunch of rotisserie chickens, take the meat off the bones and freeze in 1 pound sizes. Then I make fabulous broth with the bones, make soup and freeze that.

fresh herbs

tomato paste- Mash flat in the bag so you can break off a bit for a recipe

Freeze any ingredient that you use just a little bit of it and have a bunch left over.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I am too lazy to get off my duff and look in my freezer. Just be brave and try freezing something you have doubts about. Might work. That's how I figured out that freezing cauli rice was a good thing.
tea cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: libbysmom
Stats: 226/217/140
Start Date: Restart 1/25/09
I have several packages of Linda's

Meatballs
Enchilada Bake
Deep Dish Pizza
Little Almond Flour Pound cakes

already in the freezer and this weekend I am adding at least the Coney Island Chili Dog Pie.

If it wasn't for the freezer and Linda's recipes, I would be falling off the wagon all the time. Especially this time of year!!

Oh yeah. Last weekend I added Kevin's Chocolate Chip cookies--a double batch!!!!
libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Just found this and am SO saving this thread - I'm the queen of freezing and then later wondering what in the WORLD is in that frozen Ziploc bag! I plan to do better! Thanks everybody for the great ideas!

Oh, and Atkins Chick...Better Business Bureau!! That's what I'd have thought, too!!

Everyone have a great weekend!
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rhapsdy
OK..I've finally purchased a chest freezer so that I can stock up on food in advance! Also, I've started a supper swap group with some friends so we are all making frozen meals and swapping with each other.SOoo...I want to bring this thread back to life with new recipes and sharing and ideas!

Here are two recipes that I made for our swap this month:

PARMESAN TILAPIA
[ 6 servings ]

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 T mayonnaise
2 T lemon juice
1/4 t dried basil
1/4 t ground black pepper
1/8 t onion powder
1/8 t celery salt
6 tilapia fillets, frozen

ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS:
In gallon size bag place 6 frozen tilapia fillets. In a small, freezable container mix together everything but the mayonnaise. Label with cooking day instructions and date. Put the mayonnaise in a small container or bag and label with date, meal name, and that it should be kept in the fridge.

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS: Thaw topping ingredients (which can be found in the small container) in fridge for 24 hours prior to cooking day . An hour before making dinner take out the thawed topping ingredients from fridge and allow to come to room temperature. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. In a small bowl, mix together the Topping ingredients with the supplied small bag of mayonnaise (which should be stored in the fridge). Arrange frozen fillets in a single layer in a 9” x 13” glass casserole dish. Cover fish fillets with topping mixture. Bake in oven until fish is cooked through and topping is bubbly and starting to brown; between 20 and 30 minutes.

SIDE DISH SUGGESTIONS AND OTHER NOTES: Sometimes I take frozen cauliflower that has been defrosted and put in the bottom of the 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Then, I put the fish (with topping) on TOP of the cauliflower. This lets me cook both a side and the main course at the same time and in one dish.

EASY CROCK CHILI
[ 6 servings ]

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 lb. ground turkey meat (will be cooked for assembly)
2 cups onions, finely chopped
3 T garlic, minced
1 1/2 T chili powder
1 1/2 t oregano
1 1/2 t cumin
3/4 t crushed red pepper
1/8 t hot pepper sauce
4 oz. can of diced green chilies
28 oz. can of peeled whole tomatoes
2 t salt
1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS:
In a pan over medium-high heat, cook and brown ground turkey. Let cool. Place browned meat in 1 gallon freezer bag. To the 1 gallon freezer bag, add all remaining ingredients except the cheddar cheese. Gently and carefully squeeze the bag to force out any air and then seal the bag. In a quart sized freezer bag, add cheddar cheese. For best results, place the filled bags into a 2nd gallon sized freezer bag and seal it. Add label and freeze for swap day.

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS: Remove pre-assembled Easy Crock Turkey Chili from the freezer and defrost. Empty the bag contents into your slow cooker and cook on low for 7 hours. Top with shredded cheese or sour cream (not provided), if desired. Serve hot.

SIDE DISH SUGGESTIONS AND OTHER NOTES: A nice green salad is all you need to complete this meal.

Current Total Lost: 13 lbs

Start - 7/4/10
5 lbs lost - 7/9/10
10 lbs lost - 7/15/10
rhapsdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #45
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGJ26 View Post
Give this a looksie:

The Low Carb Luxury Online Magazine: Volume IV / Number 19: October 7, 2003

I have made all of these recipes and boy does it help....hhhmmmnn I think I have a new project
I SO remember this magazine! OH I MISS IT!!! (sorry for the thread jump!)
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Indychick829
Stats: Highest - 217 / Lowest -160 / Current 170 & happy
WOE: Maintenance - whole foods/fruits/organic meats
Start Date: January 2009. Currently in Maintenance
save
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #47
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
I freeze Cleos cauli crust pizza all the time because it makes so much and it heats up so nice in the micro, it really is the same as fresh.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SugarPop
Stats: 225/143.0/125 (5'2")
WOE: Atkins/ LowCarb
Wow, this thread is Da Bomb.......WooHoo!

B
SugarPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 AM   #49
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Shimmer
Stats: 245/229/140...22/16/12
Start Date: 10/1/01
Quote:
Give this a looksie:

I have made all of these recipes and boy does it help....hhhmmmnn I think I have a new project
Wow, this was great! Going to make my shopping list and try it this weekend! I read the OAMC book a few years ago and thought most of the stuff in there was pretty carby. That was before Dreamfields made the scene so maybe some of the recipes would work now.
Shimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NGJ26
WOE: Keep It Simple
Start Date: August 2009
I'm glad you enjoyed the link... Just remember to adjust or change the spices to your liking. The first time I did this I followed the recipes to a tee. I enjoyed them all, but the second time around I tweaked them to my liking and enjoyed the end results even more
NGJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: charlielou
Stats: 339/234/160 restart March 2010 293/260.5/160
WOE: atkins
Start Date: sept 2005 restart march 20, 2010
Quote:
All you OAMC fans have go to check out this thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...e-weekend.html
I was a little surprised to find a cooking plan from a Better Homes and Garden (I think) cookbook that I used to use years ago adapted to low carb without citing the original source.
charlielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mommy2aCutie
bump
Mommy2aCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: charlielou
Stats: 339/234/160 restart March 2010 293/260.5/160
WOE: atkins
Start Date: sept 2005 restart march 20, 2010
Quote:
Give this a looksie:

Oops! this is the post I oroginally meant to comment on. It still surprises me that a magazine would adapt a meal plan from a major cookbook without citing the original source.
charlielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fawnmarie
Start Date: October 2008
Bumping --- Anybody got any OAMC for summer?
fawnmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mistyjo1
Stats: 226/185/140
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: march 31/1010
wow great recipes and ideas..... keep them coming...
mistyjo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diajoh
Ages back (2005), I posted a really easy OAMC recipe plan my MIL gave me. Here's the link. If it does not come through, look up threads started by diajoh or look up 52 servings.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...s-3-hours.html
I have often modified it to be low carb with pretty good success:
Varied the sauteed veggies to be more LC.
I left out the bread crumbs and and subbed grated cauliflower for rice and bran for bread crumbs.
After thesubs, I froze and reheated stuffed peppers. Worked okay and tasted really good.
Warning: Using just bran makes the meat mix fall apart, so this needs a little work, especially if you're doing the meatloaf. I just stuff tons of peppers, because I like them. You also need to add more seasonings without the seasoned bread crumbs. I have added extra eggs and crushed pork rinds with varying degrees of success. It's a YMMV thing, so no good hints, except to experiment.
I don’t like or make the soup as written (that meatloaf seasoning is nasty to me). Since I leave out the barley, I add chopped turnips and whole radishes (I pretend they are potatoes). I also mash in a bit of sausage then throw in kale or dandelion greens. Kind of like Olive Garden's tuscan soup.
If I don't make soup, This leaves me with extra meat. I usually make extra stuffed peppers, or make meatball mix or sometimes make meat turnovers/hot pockets:
Fry up the leftover meat with some veg and seasonings. Roll out the dough (pie, hot roll or crescent roll dough) into squares a little more than twice the size you want. Put meat mix on one half, fold over and seal. Bake and freeze. Give to non-LC family members.
157/178/130
62" tall, 53 years old
Start Atkins 17.06.02 and failed badly
diajoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #57
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Bump for newbies
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mommy2aCutie
Bump
Mommy2aCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TxHomeGirl
WOE: Lower Carb
Great thread. Keep the good ideas coming !
TxHomeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
bumping... anyone wanna put together a summer version of OAMC????
Its me - WENDALINA is offline   Reply With Quote