Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CookinsForMe
Stats: 188.8/162/140
WOE: Lower carb, moderate fat, & walking
Start Date: 6/24/09 for the umpteenth time.
Do you have a standby soup? Here's mine

My sister and I are soup fans. My man person isn't really into soup but will eat it now and then so I only make a small pot of it and keep it in the fridge. It's great for light meals or to eat a small amount before a meal to stave off massive hunger.

Here's my favorite standby soup. It's meatless but since I watch calories and fat, that's my preference. The recipe varies from time to time depending on what vegetables I have and what spices I want. When its made with chili powder and cilantro it really satisfies my TexMex craving.

Hungry Soup

Homemade vegetable broth, about 3 cups
Cabbage, chopped or shredded, about 1/2 cup
Other coarsely chopped vegetables (I use carrot, onion, broccoli, spinach, bell peppers, mushrooms, whatever I have on hand and a lot of em!)
Juice of 1 lime (optional but it really makes this soup)
Minced garlic, about a Tablespoon
Sea salt
Freshly ground peppercorns
Crushed red pepper, about 1/4 tsp.
Basil and thyme to taste

Heat the vegetable broth, add cabbage and let cook about 20 minutes. Add the other vegetables, lime juice, and seasonings and let simmer for about an hour if you want it soupy. Sometimes I like it to be much thicker so I simmer it for a long time to allow the liquid to cook down.

When the soup is really thick, a ladle of it poured over a flax muffin is marvelous, even for breakfast.

So do you have a soup favorite you like to keep around? If so, what is it?

Denise
CookinsForMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Darkfire
Stats: 319/256/137
WOE: Organic, Lowerish Carb, Gluten Free
Start Date: June 1 09
Funny you posted this today as this has been on my mind bigtime. I have been making broth for a long time never canned it and freezing it led to various degrees of success. Instinctively I was making this stuff even if I didn't use it. When I was Vegan I really learned the value of slow simmered soup. I spent almost a whole year learning how to make stocks and soups and the intrinsic value of bone/gelatin. Then I forgot it all. This past year I have been flirting with broth and always had some, again, even if I didn't use it. Fast forward a few months and I am very ill. Celiac and the related detox is killing me. I am not digesting food, carbs are the worst and my vitamin D is tanked. I went back to all my research and notes and so forth and find out some interesting things about the healing properties of long simmered goodness. So I promptly started making broth again. I have a good source of soup bones, marrow bones, lamb bones and chicken bones plus I am saving any and all raw bones for my cat who is back to a whole prey diet. Last week I made beef bone broth like this:

1 package of meaty beef bones
1 handful kale
onions and skins
garlic and skins
celery left overs
carrot left overs
water
pepper
1/2 cup raw vinegar

I boiled it and simmered for two days adding water and various fresh herbs from my gardens. (Parsley, Cilantro, Celery Leaves, Basil, Thyme, Oregano) Any veggie leavings in those two days went into the pot as well. I added some brussel sprouts and later fished those out too.

It kinda looks like this: (This is another batch with lamb bones and freshly added leavings plus parsley, thyme and some basil)

I'll be back with more....
Darkfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Maryland Crab Soup

2 quarts stock (I used homemade beef stock for this)
1 quart tomato sauce/soup (will post this later)
1 quart water
J.O. Spice (you can use whatever, I have to use Gluten free and both old bay and J.O. are)
pepper
carrots
onion
lima beans (fresh from the market must be cooked for a long time)
yellow squash
flat green beans
red potato
crab claw meat (has more flavor and is cheaper if yer not shelling it yourself)
butter (optional see note)

You can add or delete whatever veggies you need to depending on your plan. I am trying to trick my body into digesting by feeding it stuff I do not eat often. It cannot have an allergy if its new. It's not Dr. ordered or anything I am just experimenting to see how I feel.

I just add the liquids then the veggies and cook it until they are about mush. Then I add the J.O. Then I add the crab. It doesn't take that long if you have the stock and the tomato sauce made already.

NOTE:
I add butter to this, it gives it more substance. Someone might use sour cream or something else. I can only tolerate butter right now so that is the added fat I use. It is not necessary but for me it is right now.

Last edited by Darkfire; 09-06-2009 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: added the butter note
Old 09-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Lamb Broth
1 package lamb bones with a little meat
1 head of cabbage
2 large handfuls of kale
celery leavings
onion and skins
garlic and skins
carrot leavings
pepper corns
thyme
rosemary
parsley

I cook that for a day, fish out all but the bones and add more stuff. What you see in the first picture is after 1 day and I added more leavings after I fished the old veggies out. Now I also removed two cups of broth to make the tomato sauce/soup. I will be back with that pic/recipe later.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Ground Beef Soup
2 qts beef broth
2 qts tomato sauce/soup
1 lb ground beef
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
salt
pepper

Cook the ground beef with the onion, garlic and peppers drain if you need to. I do not drain the grass fed beef I am using does not require it. Simmer the stock and tomato while it's cooking. Add the beef mixture to it and let the flavors blend/simmer until it feels right.
You could add cheese to this, I have to be dairy free for now so this is how I eat it. This should be more soupy than saucy. This is really filling, it surprised me how sturdy this is.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I just finished this batch of tomato sauce/soup. This is the last of my breakfast heirlooms. Sad but true. They got early blight and just didn't do that great. I was too sick to tend to them daily with yogurt to slow it more. I got a good 25 - 30 pounds out of two plants. I gave a lot of them away but I kept a few pounds to make sauces and soups.

Tomatoes:
The Romas I have a lot of despite giving two pounds away every week. I have handicapped neighbors and I do live in the ghetto, sometimes someone else needs it more than you...that is just how it works. I do not have enough for winter but they are still producing. I could have grown ten more plants and maybe would have enough for winter, maybe. I use all of the tomatoes except the core of the yellow ones. Even the skins. They do not get bitter, no need to seed these. What would happen with store bought tomatoes I have no idea but I assume you'd have to blanch them and skin them.

Tomatoes in a row waiting to be used.

Tomatoes in the pot with 2 cups of lamb broth. See the above posts.

After these cook down and about twenty mins I turn off the heat and let them cool for a bit. Then into the blender they go. I add pepper, hot pepper, garlic cloves, dried green pepper and a tea ball full of fresh herbs (basil, thyme oregano, chives) I let the tea ball steep until the mixture is cool then remove it and blend away.

Tomatoes in the blender with tea ball

After they are blended I put them back into the pot with the tea ball and cook some more. How long? It depends. If I were to make the ground beef soup I do not cook it but long enough to finish the rest of the ingredients. For the crab soup it went from blender to pot of soup.

I made some simple soup with part of this. So from the blender it went back in the pot with three cups of lamb broth. I added 1/4 cup of 1/2 caf cold coffee (makes a deeper flavored sauce) I heated it for a few minutes and then I poured a bowl and enjoyed. Sometimes I add pureed carrots too. Not this time. The sauce is orange as the day is long so I didn't want to add to that.

This can be the base of anything. You can add cheese or any manner of low carb ingredients but as you all know I am pretty limited in what I am allowed to eat or what I can even digest. These recipes are literally saving my life right now. It really does not take that much time. Many of these things can be done in the Crockpot and that requires even less babysitting.

For marinara you could chop up or blend some tomatoes in. For thicker sauce use less broth. For thinner soup more broth or water. It freezes and can be canned as well.

Enjoy!
Old 09-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
I save all the wing tips from chicken wings in the freezer, adding to the bag as I get them. Then I cook them with celery, carrots, onions, garlic and herbs. Makes great chicken broth and can be used to make any kind of soup you'd like. My favorite is vegetable beef (yes, I use chicken broth here, too ). If I have a ton of wing tips I freeze the broth I don't use for another day. There's nothing like a bowl of home made soup!
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:51 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
I had soup in the fridge for most of the Winter. I think my favorite is broccoli/smoked cheddar. I make it easy on myself and buy the low sodium organic broth at Trader Joe's. I steam broccoli (and yesterday, I added a head of cauliflower) and two yellow onions in a little water. I use the blender stick to mush it all up. Add cheddar and it's done. When you want some, heat it up and top with low fat buttermilk. And the smoke flavor kicks up again when it's being heated.

I do pretty much the same thing with butternut squash and tomatoes, spinach, carrots, etc. I don't add cheddar, though, I add half and half instead.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:58 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks to y'all for sharing the soup recipes. It's always good to have some backups just in case.

Denise
Old 09-07-2009, 06:11 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
I blend and mill my tomatoes (with the skin) before I cook them. So much easier.
Nelle Belle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #11
Deb
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Deb
Hi Cook

you know I love soup

i have the crock full of chicken veggy right now because my cauliflower is all gone

I love cabbage soup and make it often..super easy

large amount of cooked ground beef put into the crock
tons of cellery
onions
fresh or canned tomatoes
beef stock

and a big old bag of slaw

i always wing my recipies..can you tell
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

lol Mel, wingin' em is good most of the time! Most of mine are that way, too. I just guess at a lot of stuff and use what I have.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookinsForMe View Post
lol Mel, wingin' em is good most of the time! Most of mine are that way, too. I just guess at a lot of stuff and use what I have.
The bad thing about "winging" it is when you hit on an especially good mix you have no idea what all you put in I do that a lot and DH says "we'll never see this again". LOL
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:25 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

That happens to me and I really dislike it so I do try to keep notes when I'm making something new..if its good I can usually reproduce it though maybe not exactly like it was the first time!