Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
I am going to try to make this into a type of bread by adding sunflower seeds, flax seeds not meal, and maybe some millet..if I was to put 1 T of each in, do you think I would just take out 3T of flour?

I find that toasted, this bread doesnt have the same smell as fresh..I am also going to try a cinnamon bread type of thin as I think that would help with the smell I detect..

All in all, this is really great and I have so been enjoying french toast with it!!!
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Tweakergeek - You might be better off to check with Jennifer on why your loaf did not rise well. You will find pertinent posts in the Good Bread thread. It may very well be your pan, too. Either way, I hope you figure it out because the bread is sooo worth it.

I was referring to the recipe in post #3 and not the variations mentioned further down in the paragraph that includes info on making 2 loaves. I just made the recipe and shaped it into buns.

I am so glad you enjoyed it!! I know, I know...it's good enough to want to indulge in!! I have to watch myself too. It's so good toasted and spread with flavored cream cheese. It's like a little desert. The cinnamon rolls I made with my own recipe variation were delicious too.

I was also thinking of ways to alternate the flavor. I could toy with the liquid, add dry ingredients, or exchange flours. Maybe replace some of the ww flour with almond flour. I tried drained white beans, but the finished product was too moist.
Here is my list so far:
molasses
coffee
broth
Pumpkin puree
Herbs, spices
Seasoning mixes (Ranch, Italian, taco, etc)
garlic, onion

Bikerang would be a good one to ask for recommendations as she has been experimenting with altering flavors. She has mentioned things in the Good Bread thread, too.

Maybe Jennifer and Bikerang will chime in here.

Mallory - You've got some good ideas there! I'd like to know how you make out. Bikerang would be a good one to ask regarding the alternate flours. It would seem like you could just replace measure for measure, but it may depend on the type.
The smell is probably the vwg. Are you working with the original recipe or my tweaked one that reduces vwg?
I have used it for french toast, too! It was just like the real thing!!

Bobbi

Last edited by miboje; 09-23-2009 at 09:54 AM..
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:02 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Oh, Bobbi..your ideas sound really good too!

I am using your reduced vwg recipe, and using all whole wheat pastry flour with the oat bran as I read that the ww pastry flour was getting the best rise. I am making them into buns as it seems easier than making a loaf, having it sink, and then trying to cut it..the buns only crinkly a tiny bit upon cooling..

I know Angie used molasses, but because I do not like that flavour that much, Im afraid to put it into this recipe..maybe that really helps mask the vwg?? Wish my ingredients weren't so expensive here or I would do alot more experimenting..
Old 09-23-2009, 10:51 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Mallory - I see. I tried the recipe with ww pastry and regular ww flour. I definitely prefer whole wheat, but it does up the carbs. The taste is so much better with regular ww, in my opinion. Even my non LC fiance smelled the difference just while I was kneading the dough!

I totally agree!! It is easier making the buns rather than dealing with loaf issues. I said earlier in this thread that I don't have to babysit my bread machine, deal with sunken loaves, I don't have to deal with uneven slices, my sandwich filling stays put because I don't cut all the way through the bun, they freeze nicely, are convenient to take along, all fit in a gallon ziploc, and I could go on.

Wish my ingredients weren't so expensive here or I would do alot more experimenting.. Where are you? Do you have access to a bulk food store? The vwg is the most expensive for me, so I order a few bags to hold me over for a while and freeze them. The remainder of my ingredients are sourced locally.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

So roughly then, if using all whole wheat flour, not pastry flour, what are the carbs per bun..say if you made 14 buns?

I am in Canada and only have access to one natural foods store..they were big into low carb products before but now I am very limited as to what I can get there..Shipping from the States for me is almost as much as the items so unless Im dying to have it, I forgo.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Jennifer had figured that out for us. Here it is:
15 buns: 100.8 calories; 7.3 g protein; 3.5 g fat; 9.1 g carbs
It's probably about 10 g. +/- each for 14 buns.

Awww..that's too bad! I guess I am spoiled then. So there aren't even any Canadian online bulk retailers?

Bobbi
Old 09-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
jill72 used a bit of orange juice to mask the VWG taste. I think the recipe she used was in the Good Bread Recipe sticky.

This is DH's favorite bread so far (regarding taste/texture). This doesn't have a strong VWG taste, but I do use blackstrap molasses (I can't taste it in the bread, only use a tiny bit) and vanilla. I use this to make buns, I think the bread loaf would probably flop (I think jill72 tried a loaf and it sunk). The buns don't though. They are a tad bit chewy but have a very good flavor. I've also used part oat flour (1/3 cup oat, 1/3 cup ww pastry flour) with good results - buns only. Instead of the ground chia seeds, you could use flax or oat/wheat fiber instead.

1 cup water + 3 TBS (295 mL) (I used 97 degree filtered water)
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (45 mL)
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten (300 mL)
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour (150 mL)
1/2 cup ground salba seeds (chia) (125 mL)
1/4 cup buckwheat flour (50 mL)
4 tsp bread machine yeast (20 mL) (I used rapid rise)
1/8 tsp pure stevia powder
1 tbsp granulated sugar (15 mL)
1 tsp salt (5 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
2 tsp baking powder (10 mL)
1 tsp blackstrap molasses

ETA: these buns rose for 30 minutes, baked at 350 for 20 minutes on middle rack (I had them on the bottom rack and almost burned the bottoms - the bottom of my oven is extremely hot though.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote