Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Miboje - please could you post your new recipe with the exact ingredients you used. See, for the hamburger recipe, I suggested 1 1/4 cups VWG, so I used 1/4 cup less = 1 cup? You probably used the bread machine recipe and still you managed to make all those buns!

I think other people definitely could benefit from your version of this recipe. Thank you for sharing it.

I'm not feeling very well today, so I'll check back later.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Sorry to hear you are not feeling well.

I actually just got back from an appt., and now I have to head out for groceries and will be back late.

Then, I am leaving early tomorrow for an all day auction, so I don't know when I will get a chance to post back, but I will as soon as I can.

I hope you are better soon!
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sweeteater
WOE: Lower Carb
These look awesome!
Sweeteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Thank you for your post. I fugure a hamburger for 7 carbs ain't bad. Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

You are welcome Julie I agree.
Ok, recipe I used as follows;

1 c. water
1 T. yeast
1.5 t. honey
3 T. olive oil
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
3/4 c. vwg
1 & 1/6 c. ww flour
1/2 c. wheat bran
1 t. salt
1 t. baking powder

I used the first recipe, not the variation recipe. Thanks again, Jennifer, for doing the calculations on this for us!
Old 09-06-2009, 06:06 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Miboje, did you mean 1 1/4 cups of whole wheat flour or 1 1/6 cups? (1/6 cup is about 2.7 tbsp - a bit difficult to measure) I'll do the calculation as soon as you let me know. You want to know the result for 12 and 15 buns? Thanks!
Old 09-06-2009, 06:14 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

I would say that using 1/8 cup would be fine. The difference would be negligible probably. I added a little more flour when I made them cause it seemed a little sticky, so that is probably right anyhow.

Yes, please calculate for both 12 and 15 buns.

Last edited by miboje; 09-06-2009 at 06:16 AM..
Old 09-06-2009, 06:35 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Subbing.. :] Hope you are feeling better Jennifer!
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

I just made this again, and it was too sticky with that previous measurement. It should be 1.5 c. ww flour.

Today, I am trying cinnamon buns by sweetening the mix with stevia and upping the vanilla.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks miboje, I want to make the buns today, but only have the oat bran. do you all think this would work? Now let us know about the rolls. Julie
Old 09-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Miboje, here are the calculations for your recipe:

12 buns: 126.1 calories; 9.1 g protein; 4.3 g fat; 11.4 g carbs

15 buns: 100.8 calories; 7.3 g protein; 3.5 g fat; 9.1 g carbs

Julie, that low count for the buns is for my original recipe with whole wheat pastry flour - not whole wheat flour. However, Miboje's buns are probably better tasting.

Thanks, Christina, I'm feeling better. Hope you are too.

Hmm, cinnamon buns - you are getting creative in the kitchen, Miboje. Don't eat too many now!

I have to go - we're going to the city now. Catch you all later!
Old 09-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jen, I used the pastry flour and they are rising as we speak. I hope they are good. I'm dying for a real hamburger with bun. I'll let you know. Julie
Old 09-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

I used 1.5 cups of ww flour, and I wish I had just stayed with 1.25. The dough seemed sticky, but it would have been fine. They did not get as nice as my first ones. Apparently, I am still in the experimental stage with these.

Mine compared to a high carb one.
They rose high instead of spreading out. I did get 15, and they are a little small as you can see.

Julie, the oat bran might be ok, but the oat flour did not rise well for me. Good luck and let us know how they worked out for you!

Below are the cinnamon rolls.

They are quite delicious! I added 1 T. vanilla and 1 t. stevia to the dough. I should have added a T. of stevia. Rolled it out and smeared it with a mixture of butter cinnamon and stevia. I just threw it together and did not measure. The icing is about half a cup of heavy cream heated with a half stick of butter, stevia to sweeten, 1 T. vanilla, and 2 T. honey nut whipped cream cheese I get from Aldi's. That is another 4 carbs for the whole topping recipe. Plus, I only got 10 rolls (I should have made them smaller, maybe 1" wide slices off the log). These are going to be too high carb for most people on this woe because I only got 10. They are yummy though, and I had two!

Last edited by miboje; 09-06-2009 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: forgot vanilla
Old 09-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, your rolls look great. I made the hamburger buns yesterday, and they were fantastic. We loved them and it was so nice to have a bun for my burger. The possibilities for this dough are endless. Thanks so much Jennifer for this recipe. Julie
Old 09-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I just sent for the stuff to make the hamburger buns, I can't wait to try them!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Julie - I'm so glad you liked them. I agree....they area fantastic!
I envisioned this recipe as sticky buns, but I thought these cinnamon rolls would be easier.

You are right, there are some other uses for Jennifer's recipe...like raised doughnuts, croutons, monkey bread, stuffing, pizza crust, french toast, bread sticks, garlic bread, and of course different seasonings can be added for variety. I really enjoy it toasted.

What ideas do you have?

Bobbi
Old 09-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gosh, Miboje, you've been busy!! Your cinnamon buns look lovely, as do the hamburger buns (wow, 15!!). I make a Cinnamon-Swirl Egg Bread which I put in the bread machine to pizza dough setting, i.e. knead and one rise. Roll out to 16 x 13-inch. Spread with Cinnamon butter. Roll from one long side and seal seam tightly by pinching dough and place seam side down on greased cookie sheet. Cover loosely with foil and allow to rise in 200 deg. F. oven, which has been switched off. Bake 15 to 20 minutes at 375 deg. F. and cover with foil if necessary in the last 5 minutes. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.

Cinnamon Butter: (Combine in bowl)
1/3 cup of my Healthy Butter recipe (recipe might be on LCF's on good bread thread)
3 tbsp whipping cream
1 cup Splenda Granular
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Cream Cheese Frosting: (Process in food processor)
4 oz light cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup Splenda Granular
2 tbsp butter, softened
1 tbsp whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

Julie, glad you liked the hamburger buns. This is actually Miboje's recipe now. She tweaked my recipe quite successfully.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Jennifer! My buns are kinda small though. I'll get it someday.

I was looking for ww pastry flour online today and ended up at the King Arthur site. When I found it there, I saw they also call it 'Graham' flour. I was just looking at that very flour at the store, and I did not know it was the same as ww pastry! So, now I do have access to it after all. After I just bought a bulk bag of regular ww. Go figure.

Your recipe sounds allot like what I did for the cinnamon buns! The only differences are I can't use Splenda cause it gives me cystic acne, and I was out of regular cream cheese, so I used what I had on hand.

It's absolutely your recipe, Jennifer. I just found ways to up the carbs is all, and the flavor and smell added by vwg was starting to get to me, so I had to do something. Today I had a toasted bun with my own spinach dip (Mmmmmm) and thought, "Thank God for Jennifer's recipe!" I would recommend anyone to use the ww pastry flour due to carbs. I just could not find it anywhere. Til now.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nutritional Breakdown of the Hamburger Buns

Julie, did you make Miboje's recipe as she wrote it - with 1 1/4 cups w/w pastry flour or 1 1/2 cups? How many buns did you manage to make? Curious me. I made my original recipe today (the one on the good bread thread in the sticky forum) and used my Sunbeam Mixmaster - took 30 minutes of mixing with the dough hooks to get it to the stage that Angie so beautifully described and illustrated with photos - the window pane method. Anyway I managed to get 14 lovely, nice-sized hamburger buns. When they are fresh out of the oven, the VWG and yeast taste is noticeable to me, but later on less so. They were quite nice and perfect for burgers. I'd like to compare Miboje's recipe, so will be making it tomorrow. I'm too tired tonight.

Miboje - here is the nutritional breakdown for the buns with 1 1/4 cups w/w flour and also for whole wheat pastry flour subbed for the w/w flour:

whole wheat flour:
12 buns: 9.8 g carbs
14 buns: 8.4 g carbs
15 buns: 7.9 g carbs

whole wheat pastry flour:
12 buns: 8.3 g carbs
14 buns: 7.2 g carbs
15 buns: 6.7 g carbs

1.2 to 1.5 gram differences in carbs - that is negligible in the grand scheme of things, I think, if one is already at the stage where grains are fine. So, in my opinion, whole wheat flour would be fine to use in this recipe.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Miboje - really, graham flour is the same as whole wheat pastry flour?! One is never too old it seems to learn something new!

That is a strange and awful reaction you get from the sweetener. Glad you figured it out! Thankfully, there are some other fairly good options on the market these days.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Miboje - So the recipe you used for both the buns and the cinnamon buns is the one in post #35 but with 1 1/2 or 1 1/4 cups ww flour? Both of those pics sure look great!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

I'm working with the recipe using 1.25 c. ww flour as I type (it's kneading), so I'll let you know.

If I leave it alone at 1.25 c. ww flour, it looks sticky. But, what is happening is that the whole grains are absorbing some of the water and swelling.

to be continued.....
Old 09-10-2009, 08:05 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Miboje, thanks, I'll wait for your verdict, before I make them later on.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:40 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Miboje - thanks - I will check back for your verdict also!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

The verdict is in...sort of...You can use 1.25 c. flour successfully! Now, don't get nervous when your dough looks too sticky/wet at first!! Listen, mine did too. Here is the key...the whole grains will absorb the water and swell as you are kneading. About 5 minutes into the mixing and kneading, the dough stiffens right up and continues to. I promise! The dough will not stick to your hands when rolling and flattening them.

I liked the size better making 14 buns, Jennifer. Thank you for experimenting with that. They did wrinkle a little on top. They did rise nicely.

What I was looking for, and this is just my personal preference, is for them to spread and be a little thinner, and more wrinkled on top. I'm being anal, I know. They did spread a little more with the 1.25 vs. the 1.50 c. flour. I am going to try 1 and 1/8 c. flour next time. That is just my personal preference with the thickness and appearance of the bun, plus it will reduce the carbs a bit.

If anyone wants a pic, I have two.

Bobbi
Old 09-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Tweekergeek - I used 1.5 c. flour for the cinnamon buns and rolls in that post. I am now sure 1.25 c. will work just as well. In fact, the end product will probably be a little softer, but see post #55 about the stickiness warning.

Bobbi
Old 09-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jen, I got 12 good size buns. I jus posted in the bread thread that I just had a sandwich with a toasted bun, sliced turkey, mayo and lettuce. My dh thinks they taste like Schlotsky's sandwiches. I love this recipe. Thanks again. I used her recipe. Thanks again. Julie
Old 09-11-2009, 07:44 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm about to make your version of the "good bread" today, Miboje. Our internet was down most of yesterday due to an electrical storm, so I was not able to check back until later.

I will probably use 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour to start. If I was using whole wheat flour, I would use 1 1/4 cups.

Just a thought, however, if you put fewer buns on a cookie sheet or have a larger cookie sheet, there would room for the buns to spread sideways. Instead when they spread out, then hit the other bun - up they go - i.e. they rise high instead of spreading out. What do you think?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

I see. So, are you saying that the ww pastry flour will not be as absorbent, then? I will be getting some ww pastry flour at some point, so let me know your results with the 1.5 c. Still, the less flour I can get away with, the fewer the carbs.

Hmmmm... I see what you are saying there, and that is certainly a good point. I will use two baking sheets to allow more room next time. Thank you for the tip! You are always so insightful!

Bobbi
Old 09-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Miboje - I made your buns today and they were delicious! Even my sons who are not low-carbers loved them, because they tasted higher carb without any vital wheat gluten aftertaste (and they were a little bit higher carb, as I made 12 buns with 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (not whole wheat pastry flour) at roughly 10 grams of carbs each). My dough was very sticky (it is very humid here, so that may be the problem or the flour is a bit different here (I suspect the latter)), so I added 1/4 cup ground flax seeds as well and that helped. The dough for each bun was roughly 1.9 oz. Very nice buns - very crusty when they come out of the oven. I will definitely make them again and maybe try a pizza crust with this dough too.