Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Chicken Tortilla Soup

I used a recipe from Allrecipes to make this soup and really liked it.

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 pound shredded, cooked chicken
1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
7 corn tortillas
vegetable oil

I'm thinking I can low carb it by taking out the corn and combining it with Cheri's Southwestern Taco Soup. Any idea for low carb tortilla chips? I've tried some low carb tortillas and really did not like the taste. I'm pretty sure there have been threads on this before. TIA

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt

"You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips."
Oliver Goldsmith

"Make peace with the past so it won't screw up the present." Regina Britt
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patt3
Stats: 173/153/150
WOE: /low carb
very timely for me! I've been hungry for Chicken tortilla soup since I tried a sample they made at Trader Joes. I also figured I could leave out the corn. They had black beans in it and I would sub black soy beans.

TJ's crushed up the tortilla chips on tops. They do make a flax and soy chip that is much lower in carbs and if you were only using a little for a garnish It wouldn't be too bad. They didn't add Enchilada sauce, but added salsa instead.

I wll be trying some combination of these recipes!
Old 08-31-2009, 04:13 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: HerBoudoir
Stats: going...going...about halfway gone
WOE: Atkins on 95% whole foods
Since I started low carbing, I've been to Chevy's Fesh Mex a couple of times and had their tortilla soup, minus the tortillas and corn. Essentially it was a spicy flavorful chicken broth with chunks of grilled chicken, chunks of fresh avocado, and cotija cheese sprinkled in. Fantastic! You definately don't need to the corn or the tortillas to make it satisfying.

If I were making it at home, I'd definately grill off the chicken, as it added so much more flavor to the soup. I'd probably add a tablespoon or two of black soy beans if I had use for the rest of the can. The dominant flavors seemed to be chili powder, cayenne, cumin, and garlic - I'd add those to broth, then marinate the chicken in a combo of that with a little olive oil and vinegar before I grilled to bring those flavors in again.

There really wasn't any tomato in it and definately no enchilada sauce - it's a more simple version but oh so good.

http://herboudoir.blogspot.com

Engaged! August 22, 2009
Wedding! October 16, 2010

Last edited by HerBoudoir; 08-31-2009 at 04:15 AM..
HerBoudoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patt3 View Post
very timely for me! I've been hungry for Chicken tortilla soup since I tried a sample they made at Trader Joes. I also figured I could leave out the corn. They had black beans in it and I would sub black soy beans.

TJ's crushed up the tortilla chips on tops. They do make a flax and soy chip that is much lower in carbs and if you were only using a little for a garnish It wouldn't be too bad. They didn't add Enchilada sauce, but added salsa instead.

I wll be trying some combination of these recipes!
I sure wish there was a Trader Joe's around here! What I was really hoping for is the corn flavor. Think something could be done with hominy?
Old 08-31-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBoudoir View Post
Since I started low carbing, I've been to Chevy's Fesh Mex a couple of times and had their tortilla soup, minus the tortillas and corn. Essentially it was a spicy flavorful chicken broth with chunks of grilled chicken, chunks of fresh avocado, and cotija cheese sprinkled in. Fantastic! You definately don't need to the corn or the tortillas to make it satisfying.

If I were making it at home, I'd definately grill off the chicken, as it added so much more flavor to the soup. I'd probably add a tablespoon or two of black soy beans if I had use for the rest of the can. The dominant flavors seemed to be chili powder, cayenne, cumin, and garlic - I'd add those to broth, then marinate the chicken in a combo of that with a little olive oil and vinegar before I grilled to bring those flavors in again.

There really wasn't any tomato in it and definately no enchilada sauce - it's a more simple version but oh so good.
I'll have to check this out!