Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Chicken Tortilla Soup (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/635020-chicken-tortilla-soup.html)

shirlc 08-30-2009 02:20 PM

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I used a recipe from Allrecipes to make this soup and really liked it.

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 pound shredded, cooked chicken
1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
7 corn tortillas
vegetable oil

I'm thinking I can low carb it by taking out the corn and combining it with Cheri's Southwestern Taco Soup. Any idea for low carb tortilla chips? I've tried some low carb tortillas and really did not like the taste. I'm pretty sure there have been threads on this before. TIA

Patt3 08-30-2009 03:46 PM

very timely for me! I've been hungry for Chicken tortilla soup since I tried a sample they made at Trader Joes. I also figured I could leave out the corn. They had black beans in it and I would sub black soy beans.

TJ's crushed up the tortilla chips on tops. They do make a flax and soy chip that is much lower in carbs and if you were only using a little for a garnish It wouldn't be too bad. They didn't add Enchilada sauce, but added salsa instead.

I wll be trying some combination of these recipes!

HerBoudoir 08-31-2009 05:13 AM

Since I started low carbing, I've been to Chevy's Fesh Mex a couple of times and had their tortilla soup, minus the tortillas and corn. Essentially it was a spicy flavorful chicken broth with chunks of grilled chicken, chunks of fresh avocado, and cotija cheese sprinkled in. Fantastic! You definately don't need to the corn or the tortillas to make it satisfying.

If I were making it at home, I'd definately grill off the chicken, as it added so much more flavor to the soup. I'd probably add a tablespoon or two of black soy beans if I had use for the rest of the can. The dominant flavors seemed to be chili powder, cayenne, cumin, and garlic - I'd add those to broth, then marinate the chicken in a combo of that with a little olive oil and vinegar before I grilled to bring those flavors in again.

There really wasn't any tomato in it and definately no enchilada sauce - it's a more simple version but oh so good.

shirlc 08-31-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patt3 (Post 12416681)
very timely for me! I've been hungry for Chicken tortilla soup since I tried a sample they made at Trader Joes. I also figured I could leave out the corn. They had black beans in it and I would sub black soy beans.

TJ's crushed up the tortilla chips on tops. They do make a flax and soy chip that is much lower in carbs and if you were only using a little for a garnish It wouldn't be too bad. They didn't add Enchilada sauce, but added salsa instead.

I wll be trying some combination of these recipes!

I sure wish there was a Trader Joe's around here! What I was really hoping for is the corn flavor. Think something could be done with hominy?

shirlc 08-31-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerBoudoir (Post 12418206)
Since I started low carbing, I've been to Chevy's Fesh Mex a couple of times and had their tortilla soup, minus the tortillas and corn. Essentially it was a spicy flavorful chicken broth with chunks of grilled chicken, chunks of fresh avocado, and cotija cheese sprinkled in. Fantastic! You definately don't need to the corn or the tortillas to make it satisfying.

If I were making it at home, I'd definately grill off the chicken, as it added so much more flavor to the soup. I'd probably add a tablespoon or two of black soy beans if I had use for the rest of the can. The dominant flavors seemed to be chili powder, cayenne, cumin, and garlic - I'd add those to broth, then marinate the chicken in a combo of that with a little olive oil and vinegar before I grilled to bring those flavors in again.

There really wasn't any tomato in it and definately no enchilada sauce - it's a more simple version but oh so good.

I'll have to check this out!