Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Chocolate Peanut Butter Candy (Pic inside)

CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER CANDY

This yummy confection is going to very strongly remind you of peanut butter cups! My family and especially Jonathan loved it. This candy can look more presentable by pouring it into several pretty bon-bon cups and then freezing it. However, this way it is simpler and no fuss.

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 oz unsweetened chocolate, (30 g)
9 SPLENDA® packets
1/4 cup vanilla whey protein
1/4 cup whole milk powder
1/4 cup peanut butter,*
sugar free (can contain salt)
1 tbsp whipping cream

In double boiler, melt butter, coconut oil and chocolate. In food processor with sharp blade, blender or in bowl with electric mixer, pour melted chocolate mixture. Add SPLENDA®, vanilla whey protein, milk powder, peanut butter and whipping cream. Process. Pour into 8-inch (20 cm) square glass baking dish. Freeze very solid. This candy needs no thawing; using a knife, pieces break easily.

Variation: Chocolate Almond Butter Candy: Use almond butter and a pinch of salt.

Helpful Hints: *If peanut butter is unsalted, add a pinch of salt to the recipe. 1 cup SPLENDA® Granular may be used instead of SPLENDA® packets. (1.5 g Carbs). If desired, melt the chocolate by pouring boiling water over it in a cereal bowl (seriously!). Pour off the water when chocolate tests soft throughout to the tip of a sharp knife and add melted butter (use microwave oven) and coconut oil. Resume the recipe.

The above analysis is a rough estimate, as the pieces that break are not uniform in size. Do not be worried by the texture of the pre-frozen product – it tastes wonderful and different once completely frozen. Double the recipe – you’ll be glad you did!

Nutritional Analysis: 36 pieces (sometimes less and bigger pieces), 1 piece:
47.4 calories; 1.1 g protein; 4.5 g fat; 1.0 g carbs
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fieldofroses1
Stats: 300+/217/under 200
WOE: Mostly LC veggies & proteins due to food allergies
Start Date: Aug 18 2008
If I wasn't allergic to peanuts, I'd lick the screen
fieldofroses1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Rofl You can use almond butter instead.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SmileySue
Stats: 332/125, size 2 Maintaining since 3/08!!
WOE: Low carb and clean eating/whole foods
Start Date: 9/05
Oh no you didn't.....................

::::thud::::

SmileySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Heeheee ... SmileySue!
Old 08-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Important Note about whole milk powder

P.S. whole milk powder can be found at Publix, Hispanic section of Super Walmart and in Costco (Called NIDO or KLIM), if I recall correctly. However, if you do use skim milk powder - blend it finely in a blender or coffee grinder before using.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joy-FL
Stats: 223/175/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 30, 2009
NOM NOM NOM!
Joy-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TXLoser
WOE: WW/LC
Start Date: January 2004
Recipes like this I like to use my silicone muffin pan..do you think it will freeze well enough using the silicone?
TXLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #9

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I think it will freeze well enough with the silicone..

Gosh, Jennifer..yummy. I am going to use the skim milk powder and whirl it in my bullet, thanks for the advice,
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Carolyn, for replying to TXLoser. I'm glad I remembered about using skim milk powder instead. You can't believe how many emails I've had through the years about that product - whole milk powder! It really is not as widely available as skim milk powder. One can use skim milk powder, but since it is a coarser product, it is sometimes necessary to blend it finer for some recipes.

Joy, for a minute I thought that was Carolyn - that's her word she often uses - nommy and nom nom. So cute!
Old 08-18-2009, 05:02 PM   #11

Gallery: TXLoser
WOE: WW/LC
Start Date: January 2004
Jennifer
Do you ever use liquid splenda in your recipes?

I usually use the equivalent of liquid splenda to save carbs..just wondering if this is just your personal preference or if there are guidelines on when we should or shouldn't substitute with liquid splenda.

THANKS
TXLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TXLoser, I've never actually used liquid Splenda, however, I have used the Splenda Quick Packs as well as DaVinci Sugar Free Syrups. Since Splenda Granular affords very little in the way of bulk and texture, you could certainly use liquid Splenda in most applications without problems. Perhaps someone else here is more knowledgeable about liquid Splenda being subbed for Splenda Granular or other sweeteners with regard to amounts, or perhaps you already have a handle on that?

I used the Splenda packets, because they do a better job of sweetening the chocolate peanut butter combo, which is very bitter before sweetening. A combo of a little powdered erythritol and liquid Splenda would do a super job. In this case, it will probably be fine with liquid Splenda alone as the whey protein is sweetened and the milk powder mitigates the bitterness somewhat.

This candy should be sweet and not at all bitter-tasting.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Jennifer - I have some peanut butter cup molds that this would be perfect in. I also have a silicone bite-size daisy mold that would make really pretty little candies. Thanks for posting this, I won't get to it for awhile but I'm sure going to try it!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 08-18-2009 at 06:39 PM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #14

Gallery: Determinedtolose
This looks great! I had bought some of that milk poweder a few months ago, now I can use it!!

Thanks Jennifer!!
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Fabulous! How does this compare to your confection made with roasted peanuts (and honey), I believe it was? Can never get enough of chocolate and PB.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:29 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Oh, I came on here last night looking for a sweet fix, and there it was! So, I made it, and it was great! I was too lazy to throw it in the blender, and it was still good.

Even the kids wanted more after a taste, and they don't usually go for mom's low carb stuff. That's a compliment to you, Jenn! Thanks!
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tweaker Geek: I'm envious of your little daisy silicone molds - that sounds perfect! I was thinking of using my little bon-con foil cups that I have.

Diana, I'm happy you have the milk powder on hand. This is a nice, quick and very easy recipe. You can double the recipe too.

Lauren, you have a good memory - the other peanut butter chocolate confection is more like fudge. This candy, on the other hand, has a snap to it when you bite into it and it just kind of melts in your mouth.

Miboje - THANK you for taking the time to tell me that you made the candy and how nice that even the kids would eat it. Believe me, I understand that children are not into low-carbing (my own sons took time to warm up to the switch in my baking (not so much cooking and to this day they still prefer the real carby stuff, but are not really into sugary things too often, thankfully).

Often low-carb products are quite different and require adjusting one's tastes. Funny thing is, once one is fully low-carb, then the high-carb products are less appealing (not all of them though - lol) and one prefers one's own crackers, candy, chocolate, muffins, pies, cakes, frostings, etc. but it still remains that we need to make those things for ourselves and convenience foods are not really that available to us yet. That is why something like this easy recipe and the 3 min chocolate cakes and minute muffins are such life savers on our WOE.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

P.S.

This candy must be kept frozen.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
You're quite welcome, Jenn! No, Thank You for sharing your talents!!

And I totally agree. It's stuff like this that keeps me on track. Low carbing takes a lot of forethought and planning for meals and snacks, and sometimes I want or even need something quick, so I look for ideas that I can go to quickly, and that I really enjoy. Otherwise, I might not be able to stick to it so well!
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
yum,yum,yum
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Your recipe looks yummy, Jennifer. Before I make it I wanted to ask about the sweetner. I think 9 pks. Splenda would be worth 18 teaspoons or closer to 1/3 C. granular. I don't use the packets so I could be wrong.
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Aaargh Judy, you're hurting my brain with that math - but you are right - about 6 tbsp, 1 tbsp more than 1/3 cup! I think I suggested 1 cup of Splenda (which is a lot, I know) to raise the sweetness to an acceptable level. I did not do an exact sub one for one. It might be easier if you have some powdered erythritol to add a bit of that and combine with Splenda Granular, or use Splenda Quick Pack or liquid Splenda, if you have those. I think you will find 1/3 cup of Splenda Granular will not sweeten this confection satisfactorily. Then again, I like my desserts, etc. sweet - sweet enough to satisfy my sweet tooth!
Old 08-19-2009, 02:47 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jen - I couldn't wait and I made these today! They are quite yummy and peanut butter cups have always been my favorite candy. I made some in the daisy mold and some in the pbc candy mold.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:57 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Aaargh Judy, you're hurting my brain with that math - but you are right - about 6 tbsp, 1 tbsp more than 1/3 cup! I think I suggested 1 cup of Splenda (which is a lot, I know) to raise the sweetness to an acceptable level. I did not do an exact sub one for one. It might be easier if you have some powdered erythritol to add a bit of that and combine with Splenda Granular, or use Splenda Quick Pack or liquid Splenda, if you have those. I think you will find 1/3 cup of Splenda Granular will not sweeten this confection satisfactorily. Then again, I like my desserts, etc. sweet - sweet enough to satisfy my sweet tooth!
Jen you're confusing me. You say that you don't think 1/3 cup Splenda Granular will be enough, and that you think "she" should use 1 cup. Yet in the recipe you say 9 packets which as she said is equal to 6 TBsp of the Granular. This would be as you said about 1 TBsp more than the 1/3 cup, but no where near 1 cup.
So I'm confused. I don't personally use the Granular anyway, but others may be confused too, or we might want to sub some other sweetener, and need a closer amount equivalent. Again, personally, I might need less anyway. I don't always requite as much sweet as a lot of others.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOW! Tweaker Geek! Those are gorgeous!!

Hi Crazywoman - sorry for the confusion! If you look in the Helpful Hints of the recipe, I recommended 1 cup of Splenda Granular. The sweetening power of the Splenda packets for chocolate is far superior to Splenda Granular. The reason is the Splenda packets contain a small amount of dextrose. If the Splenda packets and Splenda Granular had the same sweetening power for the chocolate, I would have said use 6 tbsp of Splenda Granular. You can try that, but I doubt you'd like it.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Jen -- they taste good too!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Thanks for the explanation Jen. I tried to find where you said to use 1 cup before I posted, but didn't find it. Looking back at the post again, I now see it! :blush:
I was only going by Splenda's claim as to the sweetening power of each product. I haven't used the granular in ages, and use the packets extremely rarely.

Oh, and those do look & sound good!!!!
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Peanut Butter Cups (especially for Tweaker Geek)

Peanut Butter Cups

There is a taste explosion when one bites into one of these substantial treats!

1.5 oz cocoa butter
1 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup peanut butter, softened
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tbsp whole or skim milk powder
1 tbsp whipping cream
10 Splenda packets (Splenda Granular will not be sweet enough!)

In cereal bowl, microwave cocoa butter and chocolate on high power 2 minutes. Stir cocoa butter until it melts. If necessary, nuke in microwave oven 30 to 60 seconds more, however, be careful of overheating chocolate, or it could seize and taste really bitter as a result. In another cereal bowl, soften peanut butter 30 seconds on high power in microwave oven. Stir peanut butter, butter, whole or skim milk powder, whipping cream and Splenda into chocolate mixture. Pour into small milk jug.

Carefully pour and half fill 10 medium paper baking cups placed on two dinner plates or a cookie sheet. Keep them in the freezer. Remove paper to serve.

Nutritional Analysis: 10 servings
1 serving: 139 calories, 2.2 g protein, 13.7 g fat, 3.0 g carbs

Variation: Almond Butter Cups: Use almond butter instead of peanut butter (3.1 g carbs)

Helpful Hints: I used finely ground whole milk powder. Carnation skim milk powder will be fine, but really coarse skim milk powder may have to be blended finely first for best results.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG Jen - why did you do this to me? I'll bet those are sensational with the cocoa butter. The picture has me licking my lips!
Old 08-19-2009, 06:26 PM   #30
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Jen, that picture makes me want to lick the monitor! YUM!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote