Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #61
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: avv821
WOE: Just trying to stay healthy and all natural.....
Substitute stevia packets???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post

This yummy confection is going to very strongly remind you of peanut butter cups! My family and especially Jonathan loved it. This candy can look more presentable by pouring it into several pretty bon-bon cups and then freezing it. However, this way it is simpler and no fuss.

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 oz unsweetened chocolate, (30 g)
9 SPLENDA® packets
1/4 cup vanilla whey protein
1/4 cup whole milk powder
1/4 cup peanut butter,*
sugar free (can contain salt)
1 tbsp whipping cream

In double boiler, melt butter, coconut oil and chocolate. In food processor with sharp blade, blender or in bowl with electric mixer, pour melted chocolate mixture. Add SPLENDA®, vanilla whey protein, milk powder, peanut butter and whipping cream. Process. Pour into 8-inch (20 cm) square glass baking dish. Freeze very solid. This candy needs no thawing; using a knife, pieces break easily.

Variation: Chocolate Almond Butter Candy: Use almond butter and a pinch of salt.

Helpful Hints: *If peanut butter is unsalted, add a pinch of salt to the recipe. 1 cup SPLENDA® Granular may be used instead of SPLENDA® packets. (1.5 g Carbs). If desired, melt the chocolate by pouring boiling water over it in a cereal bowl (seriously!). Pour off the water when chocolate tests soft throughout to the tip of a sharp knife and add melted butter (use microwave oven) and coconut oil. Resume the recipe.

The above analysis is a rough estimate, as the pieces that break are not uniform in size. Do not be worried by the texture of the pre-frozen product – it tastes wonderful and different once completely frozen. Double the recipe – you’ll be glad you did!

Nutritional Analysis: 36 pieces (sometimes less and bigger pieces), 1 piece:
47.4 calories; 1.1 g protein; 4.5 g fat; 1.0 g carbs

Hi! Just wondering if anyone has tried substituting stevia packets for splenda packets? I try to stay all natural..... Would it taste the same, and would I use the same number of packets? Also, I have high cholesterol . . . .Would this recipe be just as good if I substituted the butter for more coconut oil? Thanks!!
avv821 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Avv, Stevia is a personal taste. Some love it in almost everything. Some don't like it at all.
If you use Stevia, and like it in most things, then it will probably work well. Personally I rarely use Stevia alone, but that is me.
Also, of course the taste wouldn't be the same, but I'm sure it would be very good using all coconut oil. (And since I prefer dark or semi sweet chocolate over milk chocolate, I personally would probably leave out the milk powder. But again that is me. Probably wouldn't need the cream then either. )

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Avv, I think you could mix stevia and erythritol but stevia on its own? I don't think so. I never could abide by the taste.

Since this is a frozen confection, you could probably get away with using all coconut oil and leaving the butter out. If you try your version, let us know how it turned out.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote