Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2003, 03:46 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MamalamaNC
stevia/splenda conversion?

I've found a recipe that I want to make calling for packets of stevia...can anyone tell me how the packets equal up to Splenda? The recipe calls for 5 packets of stevia. Thank you!
Janice
MamalamaNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2003, 04:06 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Hi Janice,

Stevia and Splenda packets are each equivalent to two teaspoons of sugar... ;-)
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:39 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Locarbman!!- Thank you so much for your reply, the little I know about stevia I have learned from your posts and I appreciate all the information you provide! I went out and bought some liquid stevia this past weekend, but I'm not sure I got the right stuff. I bought SweetLeaf Stevia Clear in a 60 ml bottle, it says it's over 90% steviosides (as you recommend) but I was not impressed. I figured that since it was SOOOOO much sweeter than sugar that a few drops in my coffee would do it...I was surprised when it took a lot more than that and then I tasted a distinct aftertaste (licorice?). I know you've answered these questions before, but am I doing something wrong or should I have opted for the powdered type? The recipe I want to make I got from cookingwithstevia.com (thanks to you, again!) and it calls for 10 to 15 packets of stevia. Now, how many drops would that be?? Or how much Splenda? I would really like to use the Stevia I purchased as I am not ready to give up on it yet!! (Too cheap to waste my money that way!). Thanks again for all the great input you give on this board and, hey, that's one heck of a fish!!

Janice
Old 02-03-2003, 02:06 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
LOL! I'll try to give you some answers. First thing, I stay away from commercial liquid stevia as I have no way to tell its strength and it usually contains up to 18% alcohol. You can approximate it's strength by mixing up a packet of koolaid in 2 quarts of water and adding your liquid until it tastes right. That amount of the commercial liquid stevia will be approximately equal to 1 cup of sugar. I prefer to use the white powdered stevia extract in water...no alcohol to disturb the taste. SweetLeaf Stevia Clear (0 carbs) has a good reputation, I haven't personally tried it yet. Stevia packets are equivalent to 2 teaspoons of sugar each but also include maltodextrin and need to be counted at 1 carb per packet. 15 packets (15 carbs) are the equivalent of 30 teaspoons of sugar. If you do the koolaid test, the amount you use to make it sweet would be equal to 48 teaspoons of sugar. You would use about 2/3 of that amount for your recipe. If you use Splenda, you could use either 15 packets (15 carbs) or 2/3 cup (16 carbs) of the granular. Hope this helps, by the way, what are you making? ;-)
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 08:07 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Glinda
Stats: 202/198/? as of 8/31/04
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts LifeSpan Program
Start Date: Restart 8-26
Janice, perhaps this Stevia conversion chart would be of some help to you. http://www.cookingwithstevia.com/web/chart.shtml

The bitter aftertaste comes from using too much Stevia, especially in hot liquids. I recommend starting out with just a couple drops per cup or glassful of beverage at a time and taste as you go along to find the amount that tastes good to you.

Good luck!
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 09:15 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Glinda
Stats: 202/198/? as of 8/31/04
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts LifeSpan Program
Start Date: Restart 8-26
Here's a SweetLeaf Stevia conversion chart. Don't know if you've seen this one:

http://www.healthyshopping.com//swee...quivalents.asp
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 01:33 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Locarbman- Thanks for the input yet again! I am going to be making "Delectible Chocolate Cheesecake Bites"...doesn't that sound yum?? Figure they're small enough to hide from the family (unlike Beachgirl's cheesecakes!!).

Janice
Old 02-04-2003, 08:23 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Glinda- Thanks for the charts, they are exactly what I was looking for! I have printed both and will keep them handy for future reference. Thanks again!

Janice