Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Lauren or anyone who uses stevia (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/630627-lauren-anyone-who-uses-stevia.html)

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 07-31-2009 01:30 PM

Lauren or anyone who uses stevia

I got my Nunaturals stevia the other day, and now I realize I have no idea how to use it. For instance how do you know how much to use and how do you figure how much other sweetners to use with it. The only way I can use it now is to use Lauren's recipes, but how would I decifer how to and how much to use in my recipes. Thank you very much. JUlie

jacksmixedtape 07-31-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE (Post 12293723)
I got my Nunaturals stevia the other day, and now I realize I have no idea how to use it. For instance how do you know how much to use and how do you figure how much other sweetners to use with it. The only way I can use it now is to use Lauren's recipes, but how would I decifer how to and how much to use in my recipes. Thank you very much. JUlie

Hi Julie,

in an uncooked recipe, I replace 1/4 cup sugar with 1/8 tsp stevia. In a cooked recipe, I use 1/4 tsp stevia for 1/4 cup sugar, but never use more than 1 tsp stevia in a baked good (a large cake, for example). If you use more than that, the taste is overpowering. HTH!

pocahontas 07-31-2009 02:41 PM

good to know! :)

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 08-01-2009 11:47 AM

Thak you so much Lauren, now it makes sense to me. You're an angel. Julie Now, I need to know where you get such small measuring spoons.

crazywoman-n-wy 08-01-2009 01:28 PM

I'm not Julie but I found a set of the 3 (dash, pinch, and smidgen) at Bed Bath and Beyond. Found a set of 5 recently at Kitchen Koncepts (my first time in a Kitchen Koncepts store!).

Do a "google" search for "dash pinch smidgen".

They are somewhat spendy IMHO. Bad enough if you can find them in a store, but having to order & pay shipping, they really get spendy. But some find them worth it.

Cats for Texas 08-02-2009 05:28 PM

Lauren: which type of NuNaturals Stevia do you use?

Lauren: I want to buy some NN Stevia, but found it comes in powdered and liquid. Which one do you use? Is there a difference? THANK YOU. :up: :heart:YOUR RECIPES!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape (Post 12293749)
Hi Julie,

in an uncooked recipe, I replace 1/4 cup sugar with 1/8 tsp stevia. In a cooked recipe, I use 1/4 tsp stevia for 1/4 cup sugar, but never use more than 1 tsp stevia in a baked good (a large cake, for example). If you use more than that, the taste is overpowering. HTH!

Cats for Texas 08-05-2009 08:54 PM

Bumping for the Stevia users in the house; thanks.

crazywoman-n-wy 08-06-2009 07:42 AM

Cats,
Laren uses the NuNaturals pure stevia extract. (there are different powders, be sure it is the pure extract.)

Redeemed 08-06-2009 08:25 AM

Nu Naturals has a NuStevia just for baking. I think they use a mix similar to what Lauren uses. You can substitute one cup of NuStevia for Baking for one cup of sugar when baking.

judytab 08-06-2009 03:23 PM

Lauren, I just got a bottle of the NuNaturals alcohol free concentrated liquid Stevia. Is this what you use in the amounts you posted for cooked and uncooked recipes? If not, what would be the equivalent of the liquid to what you use?

TIA,
Judy

sweetdreams 08-06-2009 05:34 PM

I want to say to anyone who is on the fence about using stevia, that the NuNaturals brand is wonderful. I buy the Pure Extract as Lauren recommends and it IS NOT Bitter at all.

I was a skeptic for a long time until I tried this brand. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting the NuNaturals brand sooner. Not all Stevia is created equal.

P.S. I have no affiliation with NuNaturals :)

Cats for Texas 08-08-2009 08:45 AM

Powder or Liquid NuNaturals?

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy (Post 12315935)
Cats,
Laren uses the NuNaturals pure stevia extract. (there are different powders, be sure it is the pure extract.)

THANK YOU! One final question: is it the liquid or powder? To probably answer my own question, I guess it depends on what's easier for me??? :confused:

jacksmixedtape 08-08-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cats for Texas (Post 12324314)
THANK YOU! One final question: is it the liquid or powder? To probably answer my own question, I guess it depends on what's easier for me??? :confused:

Hi Patti, it's the powder that comes in the 1 ounce bottle. :)

judytab 08-08-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape (Post 12324373)
Hi Patti, it's the powder that comes in the 1 ounce bottle. :)

Lauren, I have the NuNaturals alcohol free concentrated liquid Stevia, so do I use the same measurements for your recipes as you do with the powder? I did look up a Stevia website (not NuNaturals) and it said for concentrated liquid 1 tsp equals 1 cup of sugar. Does that sound right to you? Thanks.
_____
Judy

watcher513 08-12-2009 12:44 AM

Regarding the measuring spoons with the very small measurements, Bed Bath and Beyond has a great set that also has the normal measurements that is rectangular shaped to fit into spice jars. I believe they're just under ten dollars.

jacksmixedtape 08-12-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by judytab (Post 12324968)
Lauren, I have the NuNaturals alcohol free concentrated liquid Stevia, so do I use the same measurements for your recipes as you do with the powder? I did look up a Stevia website (not NuNaturals) and it said for concentrated liquid 1 tsp equals 1 cup of sugar. Does that sound right to you? Thanks.
_____
Judy

I'm not sure how concentrated the liquid is. I'd imagine you would have to double the amount of liquid extract, but that's only if it's a 50% dilution. Is the concentration listed on the bottle?

judytab 08-12-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape (Post 12339813)
I'm not sure how concentrated the liquid is. I'd imagine you would have to double the amount of liquid extract, but that's only if it's a 50% dilution. Is the concentration listed on the bottle?

The only thing I can tell from the bottle is that one serving size is 7 drops and suggests using 5-10 drops in a beverage. Since it is from NuNaturals, I thought you might be familiar with it.
_____
Judy