Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Pumpkin Spice Loaf with A Frosting that Rivals Betty Crocker! (pic incl.)

PUMPKIN SPICE LOAF
You can feel proud to serve this delicious, moist loaf anytime. My youngest son, Jonathan, almost single-handedly polished off the Apple Spice Loaf, however, the Pumpkin Spice Loaf is definitely my favorite of the two.

1 1/2 cups ground almonds (375 mL)
1 1/2 cups SPLENDA® Granular (375 mL)
3/4 cup vanilla whey protein (175 mL)
6 tbsp vital wheat gluten (90 mL)
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (7 mL)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder (7 mL)
3/4 tsp baking soda (3 mL)
2 extra-large eggs, fork beaten
1 cup canned pumpkin, (250 mL)
(unsweetened)
1/2 cup sour cream (125 mL)
6 tbsp olive oil (90 mL)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (7 mL)
Cream Cheese Frosting: (Replace with Betty Crocker-like frosting - see below)
4 oz light cream cheese, softened (125 g)
1/3 cup SPLENDA® Granular (75 mL)
2 tbsp butter, softened (25 mL)
1 tbsp whipping cream (15 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)

In large bowl, combine ground almonds, SPLENDA® Granular, vanilla whey protein, vital wheat gluten, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and baking soda. In medium bowl, combine eggs pumpkin, sour cream, olive oil and vanilla extract. Stir into dry ingredients, just until combined.

Pour into a 9 x 5 x 3-inch (2 L) loaf pan lined with wax paper and sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven 55 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean. Remove loaf and carefully remove wax paper. Frost cooled loaf. (The wax paper trick is useful to prevent loaf from sticking to old and worn loaf pans. If yours is brand new and nonstick, then skip the wax paper.)

Cream Cheese Frosting: In food processor with sharp blade or in blender, process cream cheese, SPLENDA® Granular, butter, whipping cream and vanilla extract until smooth.

Variation: Apple Spice Loaf with Frosting: Omit pumpkin. Substitute 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsweetened applesauce and use 1/4 cup (50 mL) sour cream.
(5.2 g Carbs) This loaf goes well with Cinnamon Butter, page 59.

REPLACE THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING WITH A BETTER-THAN-BETTY-CROCKER FROSTING:

½ cup Splenda Granular
4 tbsp powdered erythritol
4 tbsp whole milk powder (Publix, Costco or Hispanic section of Super Walmart)
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp sugar free syrup (mine was Estee Maple Flavored using Splenda)
3 tbsp butter, softened

In blender, combine Splenda Granular, powdered erythritol, whole milk powder and cornstarch. Add sugar free syrup and butter; blend until well combined.

Yield: ¾ cup delicious frosting. Double the recipe for 1½ cups frosting. The frosting is slightly maple-flavored and, in my opinion, is quite a bit nicer than some of the frostings for cakes and cupcakes that one buys in the containers with the soft plastic top (you know which ones I mean?).

Nutritional analysis for Pumpkin Spice Loaf with New Frosting Recipe:
18 slices, 1 slice:
174.6 calories; 7.8 g protein; 12.6 g fat; 7.5 g carbs

Helpful Hints: Clearly the new frosting adds a couple more carbs per slice and that puts this pumpkin spice loaf into a new category of moderate carbs. The frosting is truly delicious and indistinguishable from the real thing, however, more carby than some of my other frostings. There will be special birthdays, etc. when no expense, I mean no carbs can be be spared, if you know what I mean - great for cakes and cupcakes. A good recipe to have in one’s low-carb arsenal. Squirrel the recipe away for another day.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 07-22-2009 at 01:34 PM..
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TXLoser
WOE: WW/LC
Start Date: January 2004
YUMMY!!
and I like that this is pretty much every day ingredients, except I don't have powdered erythritol, but I can use the other frosting here.

Can you link me to the apple spice loaf...please

again, THANK YOU
TXLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, TXLoser, you can order powdered erythritol from Netrition. It is a very good sweetener to have on hand. It makes the best frostings imaginable, as it already almost has the taste and texture of confectioner's sugar. I'll tell you a little secret though. I almost always use regular, ordinary everyday ingredients in my recipes and stick with simple instead of complicated. I don't usually have the time or energy to get too complicated and I'm certainly no gourmet cook, although I can admire such talent too.

The Apple Spice Loaf is in the Variation below the recipe. It's simple too. Sorry, I should have put that in the top blurb. It's a lot to read through. Thanks for your interest.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #4

Gallery: TXLoser
WOE: WW/LC
Start Date: January 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
The Apple Spice Loaf is in the Variation below the recipe. It's simple too. Sorry, I should have put that in the top blurb. It's a lot to read through. Thanks for your interest.
I see it now..thanks..
I guess I kept looking at that yummy picture I didn't pay attention!!!

Last edited by TXLoser; 07-22-2009 at 01:59 PM..
TXLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #5

Gallery: Bar10der
Stats: 143/137/125
WOE: low carb beer
Start Date: on and off and on and off
Can the powdered milk be replaced with low fat milk? That's the only kind of milk I have.

I looks delish.
Bar10der is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SmileySue
Stats: 332/125, size 2 Maintaining since 3/08!!
WOE: Low carb and clean eating/whole foods
Start Date: 9/05
Oh my.......

Just the other day, I saw one of those pumplin/cream cheese rolls while I was getting coffe with my mom. I was telling her how much I used to love those things. Jennifer, you've just solved my dilema and you've made my day...no, my week....aw heck, probably my month.....

THANK YOU JENNIFER!!!!
SmileySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Thanks, Jen, I think I'll make that tomorrow, after I go to the store for pumpkin. Wait, I have the apple sauce. Did you put the frosting on the applesauce loaf? Which book is the Cinnamon butter in? I've got em all. Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No problem. You're welcome TXLoser. I hope you get to try the recipe one of these days soon. It's so good to have low-carb alternatives to help us feel less deprived. Imagine having a friend over for a tea or a coffee date and serving this to her? She would probably not guess that she is eating our "diet" food. Neither of you would feel deprived.

That was my biggest thing when I turned to low-carbing in 1998 after years of having trouble losing weight, I did not want to feel deprived when everyone else was eating my fave, yummy, carby desserts, etc. I had Hashimoto's Thyroiditis for many years (probably about 12 years -including a goiter) but by an amazing miracle I am now in complete remission from the disease (and have subsequently lost all the weight I need to after getting my hormones seen to as well (I was too estrogenic, peri-menopausal and that too made weight loss very difficult)) - anyone curious about my Hashi's experience is welcome to email me for my story). I'm terrible that way when it comes to wanting something that someone else is eating, and especially if someone says I cannot have it. I will sometimes cave in to temptation if I don't have alternatives. I'm such a rebel (goes back to being deprived at times in my childhood and having very strict rules around food all the time). However, the drive to come up with low-carb alternatives for our family's favorite foods was fueled by this quirk in my personality.

I'm sure that is TMI, but I got carried away... Thing is, I don't want people to think I am any different than someone else, or that I have had it all easy in life, or that I don't understand - thing is I'm like anyone else and have had my own weight loss struggles, depression and other painful, emotional, birth family rejection issues that lasted for years at a stretch. Our life script is what makes us who we are, right? Hopefully, we learn to be kind and compassionate and loving and accepting of others (thinking of them as better than ourselves in many ways).
Old 07-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bar10der, I don't see why not. If your low fat milk powder has large granules, then I'd blend the dry ingredients first before adding the butter and syrup, so that there are no little lumps in the frosting.

Julie, you can definitely put the frosting on the Apple Spice Loaf. This recipe is from Splendid Low-Carbing for Life, Volume 1.

SmileySue, you made me into a SmileyJen. I have a low-carb Pumpkin Cake Roll recipe on my blog. It's very good too (very attractive!), although more fussy than this recipe.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jen, you're just a special lady, and we all know that. Julie
Old 07-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ditto Julie.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
I have seen this and want to make it SO bad..Scotts is SO right..you are ONE special lady GF!!

HUGS and Blessings!
Christina
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #13
Emm
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Emm
Stats: 224/217/135
WOE: low carb/gluten free/whole organic food
Start Date: 7-17-09
This looks amazing! I just joined up with this site and have been searching the internet for something just like this..thx for posting!
Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
Emm
Junior LCF Member

I printed this out and took a second look and seen that it calls for gluten..I'm trying to give up anything containing gluten since I feel I react badly to it..wonder if I can replace with coconut flour?
Old 07-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jen, I just put the apple one in the oven. I used a packet of Alpine Apple Cider mix, just cause I saw it in my pantry and thought Oh why not. I'll let you know how it comes out. I cut down on the splenda because of it. If it tastes anything like the batter, I will be happy, happy, happy. Julie
Old 07-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Wow Jennifer, looks great and must try this. Thanks for sharing! My boss will love it too - he's on low carb and a pumpkin head!
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ditto, Christina! Thx.

Julie, wow, you didn't waste any time. I love your addition and I'm sure it will be a whole lot more flavorful actually. Please let me know how yours turned out.

Whitedove, your boss sounds like an interesting fellow!

Emm, coconut flour has very different properties to vital wheat gluten and there are not guarantees as to how your loaf will turn out. However, if you use 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups of my gluten free bake mix (check the consistency of the batter and if it is too wet and sloppy, add extra bake mix), I'll bet it should turn out fine. Replace the ground almonds and whey protein and vital wheat gluten with the gluten-free low-carb bake mix. I hope it works out nicely.

GLUTEN-FREE LOW-CARB BAKE MIX
1 1/2 cups oat flour (certified gluten-free)
1 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup sifted coconut flour (available from Netrition)
1 tsp Xanthan gum (available from Netrition)

Yield: 3 cups, 12 servings of 1/4 cup each
100.7 calories; 4.2 g protein; 5.3 g fat; 7.0 g net carbs
Old 07-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
LOL! I almost posted that for you.. Great mind think alike...

Ditto to you also my friend...
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #19
Emm
Junior LCF Member

Thx Jennifer!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mule_Freak
Stats: 145/125-130/135
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Oct. 2003
Jennifer, not only yummy but now your making me think of my FAV. time of year, WINTER!! and also I love Fall time. This is a must to try now, you know to make sure it will please the folks at Thanksgiving Day
Mule_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #21

Gallery: Bar10der
Stats: 143/137/125
WOE: low carb beer
Start Date: on and off and on and off
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Bar10der, I don't see why not. If your low fat milk powder has large granules, then I'd blend the dry ingredients first before adding the butter and syrup, so that there are no little lumps in the frosting.

Ooops, I should have been more specific. Not powdered milk, but just regular milk out of the jug.
Bar10der is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jen, the apple turned out fantastic. I should have put a little more splenda in it, but, after I made the cinnamon butter, it was just great. Funny thing, tho, it kinda tasted like banana bread. Wierd, huh?
Old 07-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You are right, Sherrie! It is perfect for Thanksgiving. You like Winter and Fall? I like Spring and Summer and Fall, but not Winter. I spent too much time in the Great White North - nearly 30 years. I like winter and snow for Christmas and then I want Spring!

That is weird, Julie, that the Apple Loaf tasted like banana loaf. I wonder if the apple cider mix flavoring that you used had anything to do with that? Thanks for trying it and for the interesting twist.

Bar10der, do you have vanilla whey protein? You could use vanilla whey protein in place of the powdered milk. It would not be quite the same, but it would at least have the right consistency for the frosting. You could probably get away with then using 1 or 2 tbsp of milk. Use more whey protein if the frosting is too soft.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: smileyface
Stats: 160/155/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 07
Jennifer, the receipe sounds delicious ! The picture is making me drool. Definitely going to make this one.

Thanks,
Deanna
smileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:36 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mule_Freak
Stats: 145/125-130/135
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Oct. 2003
Hey Jenn, Oh yes I LOVE Winter and Fall is 2nd runner up. I just don't care for heat/humidity. Can hear my mum still saying when I was a child
"Oh love, put your coat on, that wind will cut you like a knife" being so bitterly cold out, I still to this day (46 yrs old) love to have those sharp north winds cut me like a knife. Most people think I'm nuts, just love super fridge cold weather, I know crazy
Mule_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #26

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I just made the Pumpkin recipe. I had 6 little connected loaf pans and it was a perfect fit.
Each muffin pan is supposed to be 2 muffins worth of batter. I am waiting for them to cool..

Then I made Better Betty and combined with it with 2 ounces of cream cheese..Very nommie.. Thanks Jennifer
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thisisrightnow
Stats: 240/172.8/150, 5'6", 30
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: 5/10/07 (generic LC/SB), 7/19/09 (Atkins)
That looks so amazing. I will definitely have to try it sometime!
thisisrightnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Deanna, Hope you get to try the recipe sometime and you too, thisisrightnow.

Carolyn, I'm so happy you made it. What a great idea to use the cream cheese to spread the carbs out a bit. That way you didn't need to double the "Better Betty" frosting.

Mule_Freak, you're right you are funny that way. When you were little - your poor mum!! That said, I have another friend who feels the same way as you do. She cannot stand the heat one bit!

Julie, have you finished your "banana bread" yet?
Old 07-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #29

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Jennifer...Honestly, this is so nommie that I ate 1/6 of the recipe..and it was pretty high in calories. Next time, I will have more self control and cut my little loaf in half.. Yes, I only had to make one BB recipe..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So glad you liked it, Carolyn. Thanks for coming back to tell me that. You're a sweetie.