Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jill72
Stats: 162/125/120's
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/31/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hope they come out..My batter was pretty thick..You might have to cook them a bit longer.
I may have whirled the bean mixture in the blender longer than I needed to (I didn't want bean fragments in my cupcakes LOL).

I just checked them -- they have 5 minutes to go, but they look BEAUTIFUL!! (Hope they taste just as good)!
jill72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lleigh1981 View Post
Mine came out cupcake-y. Whatever the difference, I guess I'm not as culinarily masterful to know what it is.
I'm glad it worked for you, I just wanted to verify because there have been a lot of posts about coconut flour and many people have tried grinding coconut to replace it and have had disasters. Maybe it worked in this application because it was not the only "flour" used.
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Mine are cooling...they didn't brown much, but rose nicely! Thanks, Lauren!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lleigh1981
Stats: 125/112/108/100
WOE: Ketogenic
Cool - thanks for the clarification. I'd screw up a recipe not having the right stuff - erythritol is expensive stuff!

I made a double batch of the icing and it tasted just like bakery icing! Unfortunately it wasn't enough to frost all of them so I whipped up some whipping cream with Da Vinci's vanilla and a little erythritol to cover the rest.
lleigh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Carolyn - Thanks for being first to make these! So glad they worked for you. Bet the ccheese frosting was great with these. I'll try that next time!

Kimlou - You're welcome! Hope you get to try 'em.

Leigh - Glad the cupcakes worked with the butterbeans and ground coconut! The batter is very stiff--not pourable, bc the Bob's Red Mill coconut flour sucks up a TON of moisture. It's awesome your tweak was a success! Thanks for sharing. About the icing--I used a pretty thin layer aside from the cupcakes you see in the photos, so that makes sense. Good save with the whipped cream topper!

Shadowzip - Would love to see how the hominy works in this! Perhaps a white bean cornbread is in order?

Dixie Barkley - Not sure how the beans would taste hot off the griddle, LOL. Try those oat flour pancakes--they'll blow your mind!

Jill - Lemon curd cupcakes sound fantastic! Do let me know if you try that. I have some pineapple curd I could stuff in the middle. Thanks for taking those pics!

I have half a can of beans, so I'm try a half batch, either espresso flavored or apple cinnamon flavored. Hopefully this batter takes well to flavor additions!

"I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget. I've got a perfect body 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat."
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:52 AM   #36
Video Vixen

Gallery: vhodgkin
Stats: 190/160/140
Start Date: June 21, 2004
Do you think you could design a red velvet variation using red kidney beans????????
vhodgkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #37
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Lauren has done a Red Velvet cake, V..

However RV cake is all about red food coloring and a bit of cocoa. I would just use the
same recipe, add a Tbs. of cocoa and red food coloring until it comes out the right color.

Adding some cream cheese to Lauren's frosting would make these very nommie.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

This version produces such a tender, delicious cupcake, I can see many variations working; even just changing it up with different frostings.

My chocolate frosting turned out more like a ganache and the lemon curd didn't set up as well as it did last week, so we just split the cupcakes and spooned some on. Just delicious!!!

I used the cannellini beans and will probably stick with them.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I made these last night, they are super yummy! Planning on making the frosting today, will post pics when they are frosted.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Lauren - has luck has it I just finished a chocolate black bean cake and am ready to make something new -- guess what it will be! Of course, I did just make the chocolate shortcakes I just posted, but I can freeze them if there's any left by the time I make this. I just need to get some canneilli beans.

I know I'm going to love this and it will be great to give some to my Mom who doesn't eat chocolate. I'll be making it over the upcoming weekend - can't wait!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 07-08-2009 at 10:42 AM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
making these tonight w/ my 5 year old (we've done the black bean version before and loved them!!) to take camping this weekend. We'll be sharing w/ my parents, who also LC (and they also loved the black bean/chocolate version).
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Can I substitute liquid splenda for the stevia? What does 3/4 tsp of stevia extract equal??
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #43
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I did..I just squirted some liquid splenda in there..no measuring..LOL
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #44
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
BIKERANG - Since you have tried both the white and chocolate, can you give me your opinion. Which one do you think tastes best and resembles real cupcakes/cake?

I have a birthday party on Saturday.
I am trying to decide what to make.
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

NurseMonkee - I personally like the chocolate one better, but I'm a chocoholic and love anything chocolate. DH said he could taste a very faint beany flavor in the vanilla ones. I asked him if he thought that because he knew it was made from beans and asked him if he could have detected it if he didn't know what it was made from and he said probably not. I'm bringing some over to a friends house tonight (not LC'ers) to get their feedback and to share (don't need all these cupcakes! ). I used regular vanilla in these, and I think next time I'll use twice the quantity. I think the texture is amazing in the chocolate - the vanilla is nice too, just not as nice as the chocolate (IMO). Both of these cakes (cup cakes) are amazing, but I love the chocolate one.

ETA: here is a pic of the yellow cupcakes. I LOVE the frosting!!! What a great method! I used xylitol for the frosting, it's really lovely. I used two different types of paper cups, they are all the same size cupcakes, some of the papers were just a bit bigger. Oh, and I added a splash of vanilla to the frosting also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yellow cupcakes.jpg (48.1 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by BikerAng; 07-09-2009 at 09:42 AM..
Old 07-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
NurseMonkee - I personally like the chocolate one better, but I'm a chocoholic and love anything chocolate. DH said he could taste a very faint beany flavor in the vanilla ones. I asked him if he thought that because he knew it was made from beans and asked him if he could have detected it if he didn't know what it was made from and he said probably not. I'm bringing some over to a friends house tonight (not LC'ers) to get their feedback and to share (don't need all these cupcakes! ). I used regular vanilla in these, and I think next time I'll use twice the quantity. I think the texture is amazing in the chocolate - the vanilla is nice too, just not as nice as the chocolate (IMO). Both of these cakes (cup cakes) are amazing, but I love the chocolate one.

ETA: here is a pic of the yellow cupcakes. I LOVE the frosting!!! What a great method! I used xylitol for the frosting, it's really lovely. I used two different types of paper cups, they are all the same size cupcakes, some of the papers were just a bit bigger. Oh, and I added a splash of vanilla to the frosting also.
Ang - is xylitol one of the SA's that sometimes causes tummy distress in some folks? I've had some of that stuff for almost a year, but haven't used it yet. Also, have you noticed any of that 'cooling effect' in xylitol that we sometimes get with erythritol?

Your cupcakes look so good!! I want to try them again with the frosting.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

I've personally never had any problems with xylitol, and neither have any of my friends/family I've given desserts to with xylitol. Xylitol and erythritol have the least gastric issues than some of the other SA's, but there are definitely folks who can't use them (but I've personally given xylitol to over 15 people and no one has had any issues, and I've asked them all and told them up front they could have gastric issues).

I think xylitol is sweeter and less cooling than erythritol (and doesn't crystalize as much). This frosting is super creamy and melty, and I don't notice the cooling effect. This frosting is AWESOME!!!

ETA: if you aren't sure if you tolerate xylitol, start with a little bit and "work your way up" to a larger amount. Try a 1/2 tsp in tea and see how it goes.

Last edited by BikerAng; 07-09-2009 at 10:34 AM..
Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mule_Freak
Stats: 145/125-130/135
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Oct. 2003
Hey Lauren,
Ok, yes its me, the coconut hater :blush:sorry, but I have a question. Ok, in your Chocolate Bean Cake you don't use (that I can see) coconut flour, can you tell me, can I omit it in this one, maybe reduce liquids or such? I can't get past the "anything" about coconut, its not my "cup of tea" tried, or can I use the recipe for the Chocolate Cake, but use the White Kidney beans in place of black beans? Thanks for any help, if none, well I can look all the time at your YUMMY pics

In Loving memory of my "Queen of England"
Irene J. Jackson miss you Mum

I my Scottish Terrier Quinn
From the land of Heather

Be a Voice for the Voiceless
Say NO to animal abuse!!!
Mule_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I think xylitol is sweeter and less cooling than erythritol (and doesn't crystalize as much). This frosting is super creamy and melty, and I don't notice the cooling effect. This frosting is AWESOME!!!

ETA: if you aren't sure if you tolerate xylitol, start with a little bit and "work your way up" to a larger amount. Try a 1/2 tsp in tea and see how it goes.
That is awesome information for me! I LOVE erythritol (no tummy problems whatsoever), BUT that cooling effect thing gets me everytime! I find I can only really successfully use it in ice-cream (which I've been doing a LOT lately), but today I baked Kevin's Impossible Coconut Pie and it uses E, so we'll see.

I'll take your advice with the xylitol and if it works, can't wait to make the frosting! Thanks so much for replying!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Jil72, no problem! Just FYI - some desserts still do have the cooling effect with xylitol, some don't. It's really kind of a pain to work with sometimes (as is E). I do think there is less of the cooling with xylitol but it does still have it to a lesser degree. You don't have to use as much though, because it's sweeter than E. I try to use even less by also using stevia (and sometimes I combine the 3). This frosting is one of the recipes that xylitol works very well in.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ang - fancy frosting on those cupcakes - they look yummy! I'm still planning to make this over the weekend, I picked up the cannellini beans today, I'll report back with my opinion. I'm like you, I love anything chocolate and have made a couple of the black bean cakes and the black bean brownies - love 'em, love 'em, love 'em!!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 07-09-2009 at 06:27 PM..
Old 07-10-2009, 04:37 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Angie, good call--maybe 4 teaspoons of vanilla is ideal? I might try a combo of real vanilla and artificial vanilla, or add some bean scrapings to the batter. They are faintly beany if you know what goes into them, but none of my testers guessed they were made with beans, LOL. Love the frosting design on your cakes--beautiful!

Jill, your version with the chocolate and lemon sounds great. Good luck trying the xylitol! It's a bit easier to work with than erythritol, for whatever reason.

Sherrie, you might be able to use protein powder in place of the coconut flour. The cake would probably be too mushy or eggy without something in place of it.

Tweaker, hope you enjoy the cupcakes! Btw your shortcakes look so good. I'ma make up some gf shortcakes and sandwich them with ice cream like you did. So appealing for this hot weather!

Last edited by jacksmixedtape; 07-10-2009 at 04:38 AM..
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:16 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lauren, I'll be interested in what you come up with for a shortcake/ice cream sandwich recipe.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

I brought these cupcakes over to a friend’s house last night and she thought they were DELCIOUS (her exact words)! I think after 2 days the bean-y-ness is totally gone (and the texture changed a bit too, very cakey). I asked her if she could detect bean and she said no. I think DH could maybe taste bean because he was expecting it? Anyway, after 2 days these are amazing! The frosting is still creamy and no cooling at all. I see a yellow cake with chocolate frosting in my future.

Last edited by BikerAng; 07-10-2009 at 09:36 AM..
Old 07-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #55
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
Quote:

Thanks. I am going to try the chocolate first. I might use the frosting on this recipe though. LOL. Mix the two together.
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Lauren, your bean cake experiments sound fascinating! I've been so sick for about a month now with intestinal issues after antibiotics the dentist gave me, that I cannot try anything out of the ordinary (my diet the last little while consisted of what tasted like cardboard and styrofoam - the diet is improving now though as I discovered there are other things I can eat that are palatable), but I can read and enjoy your baking that way.

Just out of interest: My son, Jonathan, the budding romantic novelist (2 books so far), who is 22 is a fantastic baker of the slightly higher carb kind. The other son, a clever software programmer (25), needs to find a nice young lady like yourself who will cook and bake for him, as he is a little more challenged in the kitchen. He once tried to feed Jonathan blue pancakes (food coloring) with some other horrible ingredient in it. Jonathan accused Daniel of trying to poison him!!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #57
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: BarbDe
Stats: Quit smoking 11/4/07; 16/10/10 on 11/30/12
WOE: Low carb/Paleo/& Crossfit!
Start Date: August 2004
Awesome again Lauren!! I like this frosting better than the other.
Funny story. I was having trouble with my camera. Than the batteries. Then had to find my son's camera. Anyway. I kept going back to try to get a picture and 1/2 a cupcake would be missing! LOL. The boys said too!!
BarbDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
These were great, Lauren! We've done the chocolate and yellow cake version and enjoyed them both...I'd say equally! DH preferred the texture of the chocolate...but I liked them both equally well. We all looooooved the frosting on this version!

My mom and dad LC, and my mom has reflux issues if she overconsumes chocolate (although she did fine w/ the chocolate bean ones when I made them last week). It is nice to have a non-chocolate version for her just in case!

We really liked these. I got the most hilarious pic of my 2.5 year old licking the frosting off of one while my DH held the cupcake. It was priceless.

Thanks for another absolutely wonderful (and kid-friendly!) option, Lauren!

eta: I blended about half xylitol and half erythritol (maybe a little more Xylitol vs. Erythritol) when I powdered my sugars. I didn't notice any recrystallization (I was very worried it would crystallize!) at all, which surprised me. Not sure if I got lucky or if it was the combo of the two or what. Has anyone tried the frosting w/ just straight E?

Last edited by brittone2; 07-12-2009 at 12:03 PM..
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:46 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lauren - I made the recipe as a single layer cake - yummy! I can't believe how good this cake is, so moist and delicious. I had never made a frosting like this before and was going to just do a chocolate buttercream but decided to give this a try - it's great! It all came together very easily and it just melts in the mouth, I'm impressed! Thanks for a great way to get extra fiber into the diet that tastes so decadent - seems like more and more the bean recipes are the ones I turn to - although I did make Kevin's Lemon Cream Cheese Tart over the weekend too!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Old 07-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: romo20350
Stats: Goal: 10% BF
WOE: LC
Start Date: Janurary 10, 2009
I want to make this but I don't have coconut flour.
I want to make sure ground coconut will work because I have some in the fridge right now.
Recipe looks great, thanks Lauren!
romo20350 is offline   Reply With Quote