Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: heidihoopi
WOE: LC My Way
What's your favorite low carb casserole?

Preferable one that reheats well? Please share.
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Just Like Stuffed Baked Potatoes casserole - I think you can search on that and find it. Basically it's cauliflower which has been cooked til tender, well-drained, and you add cream cheese, shredded cheese, sliced green onion and bacon bits. It's so good that all the non-low-carbers in my family ask me to make it when we're getting together. And yes, it reheats well!

Otherwise I'd suggest going to LindaSue's website (google lindasue recipes) - she has TONS of casseroles, many main-dish types, with her ratings and recommendations.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Egg Plant Parmesan

I use small homegrown eggplants…sliced thin and sautéed in a little butter to cook most of the moisture out.

Make a low carb spaghetti sauce using ground beef and use the eggplant as you would noodles if making a Lasagna.

Spoon a thin layer of the spaghetti sauce into a casserole dish to keep the eggplant from sticking to the pan…top with a layer of eggplant and more sauce…top the sauce with a mixture of small curd cottage cheese and beaten egg… top that with a generous portion of Parmesan cheese… top that with a layer of Mozzarella cheese…repeat until the pan is full and finish with a layer of Mozzarella cheese.

Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes…remove cover and bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is just starting to brown a little. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes and slice and serve with a tossed green salad.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Recluse
Stats: 158/112/112
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2004
I have to second Charskis suggestion. LindaSue has SO many. I can't even pick a favorite from her site!
Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SmileySue
Stats: 332/125, size 2 Maintaining since 3/08!!
WOE: Low carb and clean eating/whole foods
Start Date: 9/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
I have to second Charskis suggestion. LindaSue has SO many. I can't even pick a favorite from her site!
Ditto
SmileySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
Amish Wit

Gallery: wcwendy
Stats: 214.5/155/138
WOE: Whole 30
Start Date: Atkins 10-08;'72 10-09 204-178; Whole 30 2013
I've only ever made one:

ham, diced
green beans
HWC
cheese
mushrooms, chopped
garlic
pepper
eggs to thicken, if you want
salt, if needed
wcwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
FAKE-A-RONI AND CHEESE CASSEROLE
From “ Extreme Low-Carb Cusine—250Fabulous Recipes with Virtually No Carbohydrates!” by Sharron Long
Page 110

Serves 6

Think of that timeless kid's favorite, macaroni and cheese and you've got it! This recipe doubles, even triples, quite easily, just be sure to allow for extra baking time!

1- ½ cups sour cream
2 eggs
1- ¼ cups cheese, shredded (colby, Monteray Jack, Cheddar, Mozzarella, etc.)
¼ teaspoon Paprika
1- ½ tablespoons minced onion, dried
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
¼ teaspoon lemon pepper
1 pound cauliflower, chopped into ½” pieces (Approximatley 5 cups, either fresh or frozen)
1 pound beef franks, cut into bite sized pieces
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
cooking oil spray

1.In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sour cream, eggs, cheese, and spices (except the parsley). Mix thouroghly with a wire whick, if available. Stir the cauliflower and franks into the cheese mixture.
2.Spray a 9” x 13” x 2” pan with cooking oil spray and pour the cauliflower-and-cheese mixture into the pan. Spread the mixture evenly and sprinkle it with the parsley flakes. Bake it at 350 degrees F for about 25 to 35 minutes, or until it is bubbly and golden.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING:
* Carbohydrates: 8 grams * Effective Carb Count: 6 grams * Protein: 18 grams * fat: 38 grams* Calories: 440 *

My comments:

I liked this recipe the first time I tried – but I wanted the cauliflower to be more tender, and the Beef Franks ( I used Hebrew National) made me feel like I was about twelve years old. I wanted to do something a little more sophisticated, and a little more rich.

ERICA'S TWEAKS

So, here are my tweaks for this recipe:

One: I doubled , maybe tripled this recipe.
The major change I made was cooking the cauliflower until tender. It makes a HUGE difference.
I used: 2 whole heads of cauliflower, and then two bags of Cauliflower Florets from Trader Joe's . I put the cauliflower into a large glass bowl, added a splash of water --about 2 tablespoons, and microwaved it on HI for a total of 20 minutes, in 4 minute increments, mixing up the cauliflower between each 4 minute period. I wanted the cauliflower to be very tender.

I did not use minced onion, I used Granulated Garlic.

I also added about a teaspoon of Nutmeg.

I used Parmesan Cheese (grated Kraft's canister-style) for a topper for the whole casserole. If I'd been making this only for myself, I'd have used Crushed Pork Rinds as well. Then I sprinked it with the Dried Parsley.

I used Italian Sausage instead of Beef Franks for this recipe. I oiled a lasagna pan with a little Olive Oil, put in two pounds of the sausage, rolled it around in the oil to coat it, and baked it at 350 degrees for an hour, shaking the pan every so often to ensure even browning. If I'm cooking for vegetarians, I use Tofurkey Brats, and do them the same way.

I'm thinking of trying a seafood version of this, using Shrimp, Crab, Calamari and cooked Andoullie sausage.

Re-starting Meat and Egg Fast :1/13/14

Size:18/20* 14/16* 10/ 11/12 * 9/10 * 8/9* 7/8
I have no idea what I weigh.

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try."
Alexander the Great
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
LLC
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LLC
WOE: LC
Start Date: After ICA trial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Just Like Stuffed Baked Potatoes casserole - I think you can search on that and find it. Basically it's cauliflower which has been cooked til tender, well-drained, and you add cream cheese, shredded cheese, sliced green onion and bacon bits. It's so good that all the non-low-carbers in my family ask me to make it when we're getting together. And yes, it reheats well!

Otherwise I'd suggest going to LindaSue's website (google lindasue recipes) - she has TONS of casseroles, many main-dish types, with her ratings and recommendations.

This sounds delicious!
LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Here's another of my faves from my files.

DEEP DISH QUICHE PIZZA

Ingredients:

* 1 4-oz pkg cream cheese
* 4 eggs
* 1/3 cup heavy cream
* 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (fresh grated)
* 1 Tablespoons chives
* 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
* 2 cups mixed Italian cheeses of your choice
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/2 cup low-carb pizza sauce

Plus any or all of the following "toppings":

* pepperoni
* black olives
* mushrooms
* chopped green peppers
* chopped onion
* ham or bacon bits
* browned, seasoned and totally drained ground beef or turkey

Preheat oven to 375°F.
Beat together cream cheese and eggs until smooth. Add cream, parmesan cheese, and spices and mix again.

Spray 9" or larger glass baking dish with oil or PAM. Sprinkle 2 cups Italian cheeses into dish and pour egg mixture over it. Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes.

Spread on pizza sauce; sprinkle on 1 cup mozzarella cheese and pile high with your chosen toppings. Return to oven and bake until bubbly and browning. Allow to stand 10-15 minutes before cutting.

Serves 6. 5 carbs per serving without toppings.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Here's one more-- I love this one for breakfast, lunch, dinner..

This is from an elist I used to be on.

Breakfast Casserole

Ingredients:

1 lb ground sausage (cooked)
3-4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 large pepper, green, red or yellow
1/2 lb of ham chopped (we use luncheon meat)
1/2 med white onion (chopped)
6-8 slices of Crisp Bacon (chopped)
16 eggs
1 quart heavy whipping cream

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan or dish with olive oil spray or similar type spray.

1. Cook ground sausage until done (drain) Layer on the bottom of the
prepared dish.

2. Layer shredded cheese evenly over the sausage.

3. Layer the green, red, or yellow chopped pepper next.

4. Layer the ham next.

5. Layer the chopped onion next.

6. Layer the chopped cooked - bacon next.

7. Beat 16 eggs with 1 quart of heavy whipping cream and pour over the top of the onions.

Bake 350 degrees F. 55-60 min. Sides and top should be golden brown.

Take out set on wire rack. Serve warm.

This can be prepared the night before. Cover with foil and set in the refrigerator. The next morning set in oven uncovered, set oven to 350 add 10 min to cooking time

Serve warm.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #11

Thank you so much everyone! Thanks Erica!

I was at Linda Sue's website, and printed off about 15 differrent casseroles before I asked here. Was just looking for the tested and tried and true from you all, and maybe something different, ya know?

Anyone else care to share their favorites?
Old 06-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fieldofroses1
Stats: 300+/217/under 200
WOE: Mostly LC veggies & proteins due to food allergies
Start Date: Aug 18 2008
I have some casseroles on my food blog

PCOS Low Carb Weight Loss Journal

Here is one recipe that I really liked

Chicken sausage spinach ricotta cassarolish lasagnaish bake

This was based on a stuffed pasta shells recipe I found on foodnetwork.com. I have to say this was by far the best lasagnaish dish I made that’s lcish , I had leftovers the next day and they were very tasty.

Ingredients
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
• 2 cups chopped onion
• 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 2 tablespoons minced garlic
• 1/2 cup ricotta or mascarpone cheese (I used ricotta)
• 12 ounces fresh spinach, blanched, squeezed dry, and chopped (about 2/3 cup chopped) (I used 2 frozen packages)
• 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
• 1/4 teaspoon sweetner of choice
• 4-6 thinly sliced chicken breast( as lasagna noodles).
• 2 cups Italian crushed tomatoes
• 3 cups heavy cream
• 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
• 4 ounces coarsely grated fontina cheese ( I used mozzarella)

In a large skillet, heat 1 Tb olive oil, add sausage and saute until well cooked. Add half the onions and the eggplant, season with 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper and cook until vegetables are lightly carmalized. Add 1 Tb garlic and cook for a minute or so, then transfer to a bowl to cool.

Mean while, season thinly sliced chicken breast with salt and pepper. and saute in skillet unitl almost done, they will finsih cooking in the oven. Transfer to a plate while you make the sauce.

In a sauce pan, heat 1 Tb oil, saute the remaining onions until transluscent then add 1 TB of garlic and cook. Add the crushed tomatoes, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Add the heavy cream and cook until the sauce is reduced in volume by about 1/3, about 20 minutes. Remove from stove and add 1/2 cup parmesan and stir until cheese is completely incorporated.

When the meat mixture has cooled to room temperature, stir in the ricotta or mascarpone cheese, spinach, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and sweetner. Stir to combine well.

Heat oven to 350.

Now the fun part, putting it all together.

Add 1/2 cup of the cream mixture at the bottom of a lightly greased 9by 13 inch casserole dish. add one layer of the chicken breast, then half of the meat mixture, then top with the basil cream sauce. Repeat process until done. I topped mine with half cup of mozzarella cheese, cover with aluminum foil and cook for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook 15 minutes more. Let cool 15 minutes before serving (if you can ). NJOY. This is really good the next day.

Last edited by fieldofroses1; 06-14-2009 at 01:51 PM..
fieldofroses1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidihoopi View Post
Thank you so much everyone! Thanks Erica!

I was at Linda Sue's website, and printed off about 15 differrent casseroles before I asked here. Was just looking for the tested and tried and true from you all, and maybe something different, ya know?

Anyone else care to share their favorites?
You're welcome!

Linda Sue's casseroles are to die for!
Old 06-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

This looks awesome. I'm saving this one to try this week. Thanks for posting this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldofroses1 View Post
I have some casseroles on my food blog

PCOS Low Carb Weight Loss Journal

Here is one recipe that I really liked

Chicken sausage spinach ricotta cassarolish lasagnaish bake

This was based on a stuffed pasta shells recipe I found on foodnetwork.com. I have to say this was by far the best lasagnaish dish I made that’s lcish , I had leftovers the next day and they were very tasty.

Ingredients
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
• 2 cups chopped onion
• 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 2 tablespoons minced garlic
• 1/2 cup ricotta or mascarpone cheese (I used ricotta)
• 12 ounces fresh spinach, blanched, squeezed dry, and chopped (about 2/3 cup chopped) (I used 2 frozen packages)
• 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
• 1/4 teaspoon sweetner of choice
• 4-6 thinly sliced chicken breast( as lasagna noodles).
• 2 cups Italian crushed tomatoes
• 3 cups heavy cream
• 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
• 4 ounces coarsely grated fontina cheese ( I used mozzarella)

In a large skillet, heat 1 Tb olive oil, add sausage and saute until well cooked. Add half the onions and the eggplant, season with 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper and cook until vegetables are lightly carmalized. Add 1 Tb garlic and cook for a minute or so, then transfer to a bowl to cool.

Mean while, season thinly sliced chicken breast with salt and pepper. and saute in skillet unitl almost done, they will finsih cooking in the oven. Transfer to a plate while you make the sauce.

In a sauce pan, heat 1 Tb oil, saute the remaining onions until transluscent then add 1 TB of garlic and cook. Add the crushed tomatoes, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Add the heavy cream and cook until the sauce is reduced in volume by about 1/3, about 20 minutes. Remove from stove and add 1/2 cup parmesan and stir until cheese is completely incorporated.

When the meat mixture has cooled to room temperature, stir in the ricotta or mascarpone cheese, spinach, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and sweetner. Stir to combine well.

Heat oven to 350.

Now the fun part, putting it all together.

Add 1/2 cup of the cream mixture at the bottom of a lightly greased 9by 13 inch casserole dish. add one layer of the chicken breast, then half of the meat mixture, then top with the basil cream sauce. Repeat process until done. I topped mine with half cup of mozzarella cheese, cover with aluminum foil and cook for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook 15 minutes more. Let cool 15 minutes before serving (if you can ). NJOY. This is really good the next day.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #15

Thank you fieldofroses1, that does sound awesome!

Thanks for your website link too.

Last edited by heidihoopi; 06-14-2009 at 02:17 PM..
Old 06-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fieldofroses1
Stats: 300+/217/under 200
WOE: Mostly LC veggies & proteins due to food allergies
Start Date: Aug 18 2008
ur welcome ladies, I'm going through this like all of us and comfort foooooooood is my thing
fieldofroses1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
I love the artichoke chicken one took it to a pot luck too and it was a big hit think it is in the recipe room.
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:02 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GoodnightRose
My absolute favorite is Linda Sue's Spinach Lasagna

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

I usually substitute Italian sausage for the ground beef, it seems to add a bit more flavor. This one has been a huge hit with my husband and even with my non-LC son, who found some leftovers in the fridge when he was visiting one day and ended up taking the recipe home so he could make it for his family. It reheats well and tastes even better the second time around!
GoodnightRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:48 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SugarPop
Stats: 225/143.0/125 (5'2")
WOE: Atkins/ LowCarb
This one is from LindaSue's site............It's REALLY wonderful. KInda tastes like a pot pie or turkey with dressing. Serious comfort food. Go to her site to see a pic of it - I don't know how to do links. Enjoy!

B

MUSHROOM CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE CASSEROLE
3-4 cups diced cooked chicken
1 pound pork sausage
1 stalk celery, chopped fine
1 tablespoon onion, chopped
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
16 ounce bag frozen cauliflower, cooked well and drained
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Paprika, optional

Brown the sausage with the celery, onion and mushrooms. Stir the softened cream cheese into the sausage mixture until well blended. Coarsely chop the cooked cauliflower. Mix all of the ingredients and spread in a greased 9x13" baking dish. If desired, dust the top with paprika. Bake, covered with foil, at 350º for about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until hot and bubbly and the top is lightly browned, about 10-15 minutes.

Makes 8-12 servings

"A ship in a harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for"

Goal 1) 175 ~ Goal met 9/15/09
Goal 2) 163 - Overweight NOT Obese ~ Goal met 12/9/09
Goal 3) 150 ~ Goal met 3/25/10
Goal 4) 133 - No longer Overweight
Goal 5) 125 - Long Term Goal
SugarPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:51 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
That's one of my favorites, too, SugarPop.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:53 AM   #21

Gallery: pocahontas
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grace
Erica, your Fake-a-Roni and Cheese was wonderful. I used frozen cauliflower and took your advice and cooked it until it was soft so it would be more like pasta. It really was comfort food low carbed! Thanks.
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Erica, your Fake-a-Roni and Cheese was wonderful. I used frozen cauliflower and took your advice and cooked it until it was soft so it would be more like pasta. It really was comfort food low carbed! Thanks.
You are very welcome! Glad you liked it!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: uclangel422
Stats: Restart = 145/140/125 ~ 5'0
WOE: low carb/gluten free
Oohhh, i havent seen the zucchini pepperjack casserole, whats the recipe for that?
uclangel422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I really like Linda Sue's GREEN "ENCHILADA" CHICKEN CASSEROLE. Making it today actually!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: plp0426
Stats: 243/219/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: June 13
Gary...you just have to share Charski's zucchini pepperjack recipe.
I haven't seen it before but it sounds like something I would love!
plp0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #27

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by plp0426 View Post
Gary...you just have to share Charski's zucchini pepperjack recipe.
I haven't seen it before but it sounds like something I would love!
Here are two threads featuring her recipe:

Zucchini Pepperjack Casserole - Low Carb Friends
Charski's Summertime Casserole!! YUM!! - Low Carb Friends
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: uclangel422
Stats: Restart = 145/140/125 ~ 5'0
WOE: low carb/gluten free
Thank you!
uclangel422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #29
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bissonnettemi
Ratatouille - with 1 + lb. ground meat added! MMmmmmmm
Bissonnettemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bissonnettemi View Post
Ratatouille - with 1 + lb. ground meat added! MMmmmmmm
I love Ratatouille too! I make Moussaka-a Greek dish-with lots of my garden veggies, it is a lot like ratatouille with hamburger and is delicious too!

I'm trying the Deep Dish Pizza tomorrow nite with peppers, mushrooms, onions, hamburger and tomatoes. I made the crust tonite and fried up the meat and veggies, I hope it works out ok to do it ahead. It will be so easy to assemble tomorrow nite and just toss in the oven. *crosses fingers*

~

Last edited by heidihoopi; 06-18-2009 at 10:28 PM..