Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: darlingnikki
Stats: start 225/ now 132.2/ goal 125 ??? Height 5'3"
WOE: JUDDD and HCG (not at the same time)
African Chicken

My MIL's recipe...she works with Grannies for Africa and she gave me this recipe she used for a fundraiser.
she reduced the recipe for a family sized meal.

place 2 lbs skinless chicken (we use thighs) in a baking dish
preheat oven to 350

2 tbs olive oil
2 medium onions sliced thin
3 cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 t ground coriander seeds
1/2 t red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
14 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 T red wine vinegar

saute onions in oil until wilted and add all other ingredients stir until well blended. Pour over chicken and bake for 40 minutes.

enjoy!
(unfortunately this recipe BEGS to be served over couscous and garnished with raisins, says the craving monster on my back!)
darlingnikki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlingnikki View Post
My MIL's recipe...she works with Grannies for Africa and she gave me this recipe she used for a fundraiser.

preheat oven to 350

2 tbs olive oil
3 cloves garlic minced
1/2 t red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1 T red wine vinegar

saute onions in oil until wilted and add all other ingredients stir until well blended. Pour over chicken and bake for 40 minutes.

enjoy!
(unfortunately this recipe BEGS to be served over couscous and garnished with raisins, says the craving monster on my back!)

And just think, we might have the couscous if only Dreamfields wanted to make it.

I'm thinking, though, that creamed cauliflower (just boiled fresh cauli, sour cream, sauteed onions and basil) might help it out

Last edited by CreekWatcher; 06-10-2009 at 09:12 PM..
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: darlingnikki
Stats: start 225/ now 132.2/ goal 125 ??? Height 5'3"
WOE: JUDDD and HCG (not at the same time)
I wonder if I put some uncooked dreamfields penne in the food processor and pulsed...sounds like an experiment!
darlingnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:28 AM   #4
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
Quote:

preheat oven to 350

2 tbs olive oil
3 cloves garlic minced
1/2 t red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1 T red wine vinegar

enjoy!
This is very similar to a soup recipe that I got from my brother a few years ago....I'm sure this will be just as good!
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:56 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grace
This does sound yummy. Maybe try putting it over steamed frozen french cut green beans. I use those a lot when I'm missing rice or couscous in a recipe.
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
sounds good but carby. Is it?
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaffodilSoup
Stats: 219 (all-time high)/150.2/140
WOE: HFLC Vegan
Start Date: May 18, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
And just think, we might have the couscous if only Dreamfields wanted to make it.

I'm thinking, though, that creamed cauliflower (just boiled fresh cauli, sour cream, sauteed onions and basil) might help it out
I love to make "rice" to put things like this on. My mom and I made pepper steak the other day, and it makes a great sauce that needs something to soak it up. I grate a head of raw cauliflower and fry the "rice" in a bit of olive oil or butter. I like it even more than rice, and it sort of tastes and feels like the white rice you'd get with chinese food.

That chicken recipe sounds great, btw!
DaffodilSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:01 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Sounds yummy! I wonder if I can sub almond butter for the peanut butter. I think that is all I have at the moment. Or should I just hold out until I get some pb?
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #9

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
I'm w/ Mellissa on the "caulirice" vs dreamfeilds, I know some people can do dreamfeilds and still lose, but not me.

Also, I was wondering where in Africa this recipe is from? My husband is from Kenya and I was wondering if it's from the eastern part of africa. He loves to put peanut butter in non-sweet dishes.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kimlou
Stats: 180/150/135.round ?
WOE: LC.. Atkins
Start Date: 5/29/13 .. round ?
Riced... Cauli ? Just thinking
kimlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
I wonder if I put some uncooked dreamfields penne in the food processor and pulsed...sounds like an experiment!
I once tried slicing Dreamfields Spaghetti into very very short pieces and cooked it like couscous, but I found that without having the bits in extremly uniform size (which I couldn't achieve) it didn't work--it came out dense and sort of gummy instead of fluffy. But I think the creamed cauli would be really good with this, and the same thing "riced" might be even better. (The original recipe came from the Low Carb Addict book, and I've forgotten the proportions, I just do it by taste.)
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Britty
fortunatly i dont have a problem with dreamfields, so when i made this veggy beef soup, i broke up the penne pasta first and THEN added it to the soup to cook.... AWESOME
Britty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
I made this for dinner last night and hubby said he liked it so much he'd like it put into the regular meal rotation! I'm eating left-overs for lunch right now.

I made cauliflower rice to put this on top of, and it was delicious. My husband hates cauliflower, but the way I make it he can't even taste the cauliflower and he says it's delicious. For anyone who wants it, here's my recipe:

Fool-Ya Cauli Rice

1 head cauli rice (i shred in my food processor)

1 bunch scallions sliced thin

1 tspish minced garlic

1 tspish Better Than Boullion Chicken Stock (If you've never tried this stuff, it is WAY better than boullion cubes) If you don't have it, use regular

3 Tbsp-ish of Olive Oil

1/2 cup chopped pea pods (I normally use frozen peas in regular fried rice, the pods give you that flavor without the carbs)

1/4 cup chopped baby corn (again, I use reg. corn in real fried rice, baby corn is very low carb and looks and tastes good here, and it's actually pretty authentic!)

4 eggs, scrambled

3ish Tbsps sesame seeds

1ish Tbsp sesame oil

1 tsp pepper flakes

salt and pepper to taste

Ok, assembly steps are pretty important. First put your oil, garlic, and boullion in the pan, and heat till they're all incorporated, on med. heat.

Add cauli and stir and cook till incorporated and softened. Add red pepper flakes, peas, corn, and scallions. Salt and pepper here.

You can scoot all the ingredients to the edges of the pan, and scramble your eggs in the middle, or you can scramble them in a separate pan and then add. I like to see chunks of egg in my finished dish, so I'm careful to not mix the eggs into the rest of the dish until they're scrambled. If you prefer, you can of course just mix the raw eggs into the pan at this point and just mix it all up-I think it tastes better the first way.

After eggs are incorporated turn off the heat, and add your sesame seeds and sesame oil. These 2 items give it such great flavor and make it taste really authentic. You can't cook sesame oil, or it loses it's flavor, that's why it's important to add it last and off the heat. If you don't have or don't want to buy sesame oil, it will still taste really good, but in my opinion it really needs the sesame seeds. I've never tried it this way, but if you don't have the seeds, i bet chopped peanuts would taste good in a pinch.

I don't add soy sauce while cooking, like many cauli rice recipes call for, because it is so easy to over-do it and over-power your recipe so it just tastes like gritty soy sauce, lol. Also, this recipe is easily adapted to dishes that aren't Chinese. You can always add a few drops soy after the dish is complete if you are eating it with Chinese food.

Thanks for the African Chicken recipe, I'll be making it again. Next time I think I'll add just a touch of chicken broth to the sauce to thin it out just a tad. The flavors are so delicious!

"The chief cause of unhappiness and failure is trading what we want most for what we want at the moment."

"Our perception gathers proof that our beliefs are right."

Last edited by Kattbelly; 06-18-2009 at 01:14 PM..
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
This looks good too.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote