Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Turbo98
Glucomannan as a Thickener Question

I've been using Glucomannan powder just as a fiber supplement for a few years now. I've heard it can be used as a thickener for cold or hot foods. I want to use it to thicken some BBQ sauce I make. I've tried using it before but without much success. I've tried adding a small amount of the powder to cold water and ice cold water. Probably about 1/8 of a teaspoon to 1/4 cup of water. I've tried adding the water to the powder and adding the powder to the water. Either way, it seems to form some clumps of gel. It seems that some of it dissolves but there are some sizable clumps left behind so I'm not sure how much of a thickener I end up with. I want to then add this to the hot item I want to thicken. Any suggestions how to better dissolve it or is this the best it does? I haven't really tried taking the clumps out and adding the liquid to see how it does.
Thanks for any help.
Turbo98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo98 View Post
I've been using Glucomannan powder just as a fiber supplement for a few years now. I've heard it can be used as a thickener for cold or hot foods. I want to use it to thicken some BBQ sauce I make. I've tried using it before but without much success. I've tried adding a small amount of the powder to cold water and ice cold water. Probably about 1/8 of a teaspoon to 1/4 cup of water. I've tried adding the water to the powder and adding the powder to the water. Either way, it seems to form some clumps of gel. It seems that some of it dissolves but there are some sizable clumps left behind so I'm not sure how much of a thickener I end up with. I want to then add this to the hot item I want to thicken. Any suggestions how to better dissolve it or is this the best it does? I haven't really tried taking the clumps out and adding the liquid to see how it does.
Thanks for any help.
I would suggest sprinkling it on top of the liquid while beating vigorously with a wire whisk and although I haven't tried it I think one of the immersion blenders would work. It is easier when you can incorporate the glucomannan with something dry, and then adding the liquid. The something dry could be Splenda, a flour substitute or something along those lines. I find that SF Jello doesn't set up real well and I have been adding a small amount of the glucomannan with the SF Jello before I add the boiling water and it then sets up well. I am no expect on the subject but have just given you tips on what has worked for me in the past.
Dixie Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Turbo98
Ok. I'll try that I do have an immersion blender so that may have to be used too. Thanks!
Turbo98 is offline   Reply With Quote