Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NGJ26
WOE: Keep It Simple
Start Date: August 2009
Low Carb Forum Mega Muffin

I copied and paste this from the "Thank-you for the 1 minute muffin" thread.

It makes such a wonderful muffin that I thought it need its own Thread!! It is sooooo yummy that I made one for breakfast and then for lunch!!!

It is ultra high fat, so for lunch I subbed 1 Tbl. of Z-trim for the CO.

Also I replaced the 4 TBLS Milled Flax (Just personal preference) with:

1 TBL. Chia Seeds
1 Tbl. Flax Seeds
2 Tbls. Almond meal

The Cream Cheese in the middle is melty and to DIE FOR !

__________________________________________________ _________________

I got this one off another board, and it is the bomb! I'm making them now in larger amounts and nuking one at a time in straight sided cereal bowls. Then I refrigerate them in a bag and nuke for a few seconds before eating. I cut them in little pie wedges! I'm going to try today with savory spices, no sweetener, and some grated cheese on top. Follow the instructions for beating these. It helps a lot. I'm beating mine with the mixer.

Low Carb Forum Mega Muffin - Great for Induction!
Hi Everyone,

I have been playing with various recipes already posted on here.. so I must give credit where credit is due.. I started out with the Mock Danish Which is great for induction, but a little too sweet and eggy sometimes for me. Then I got great inspiration from the Flax Bread recipe, and the Bowl Muffins Which are all great recipes... I have kinda combined them all including the information about Coconut Oil and general posts people made when commenting on these recipes. Hence the name... it is truly a Low Carb Forum Muffin!

Recipe:
1 Large Egg
4 Tbsp Milled Flax Seed
1 oz Cream Cheese, cut into approximate thirds
1 packet of Splenda or equivalent type of sweetener (or to taste)
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil (or Butter) - For those of you used to taking CO it works great in this recipe, for those of not using CO, Butter works just as well, for those of you wanting to incorporate CO into your daily regime, this is a great way to start, but after reading the posts, I strongly suggest you start out with only a tsp of CO, and then make up the remaining 2 TBSP with Butter.. and gradually increase the amounts of CO while decreasing the amounts of butter... so that you still have 2tbsp of either CO, Butter, or a combination of both.

In a cereal bowl, I put in 1 of the thirds of Cream Cheese, and the 2 TBSP CO (or Butter), then nuke it for a short time, 10 - 15 seconds is plenty.

While this is nuking, I lightly butter (not counted above) the sides of my container that I am going to cook this in. I personally love to use a plastic one I have that is about 3 X 5 inches wide X length by 3 inches deep.

Take your bowl and add to it: the egg, flax seed, Splenda, cinnamon, and the vanilla. I mix this up with a fork.. and I mix it for almost a minute, as your mixing you will notice that your eggs will go from being "eggy" to being more "creamy", for my personal pallette I think this makes a big difference in the end result. Once done mixing I throw in the Baking Powder and give a last mix incorporating the Baking powder.. again I just feel it helps the muffin rise a bit higher.

Pour the mixture into your buttered baking container. Again with the one I use it fills it about 1/2 way. Then I take the remaining Cream Cheese thirds and I set them into the middle of the batter pushing them lightly so that the batter comes up along the sides of the Cream Cheese a little bit.

I nuke this on high for 2 minutes... the batter cooks and rises up and over the Cream Cheese and will come up about a 1/2 inch over the top of my container...
This muffin reminds me of a great seven grain one I used to purchase from a local coffee shop... I can't wait till I am moving into Owl, so I can add nuts, SF Jam, etc...

Nutritional Information (My best based on reading labels):

1 Large Egg ( 74cal, .4 carb, 6.29g protein, 5g fat)
1 oz Cream Cheese (98cal, .74 carb, 2.11g protein, 9.76g fat)
1 packet of Splenda or equivalent type of sweetener (or to taste) (1 net carb)
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Baking Powder (It says none, but I count a .5 )
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil (or Butter) No carbs in either
4 Tbsp Milled Flax Seed (120cal, 8g carbs all Dietary fibre so Net carbs = 0, 6g protein, 10g fat)

Total Net Carbs = less then 3 (2.64)
NGJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ShesSuperCool
Stats: My goal was to start taking care of myself.
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 14, 2011
That sounds super yummy. I would use liquid splenda so it's even fewer carbs! Yay!
ShesSuperCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I couldn't wait.
It's very good. It does taste to me like the nutragrain waffles I used to love but mooshy and soft with the cream cheese goodness. It was just perfectly satisfying to me.
My only changes were using ground golden flax and unsalted butter. I used three drops of liquid sweetener instead of a packet.

I wish I had taken a picture before I gobbled it up!

Maybe tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherlocklabs
Stats: 320+/308.6/150
WOE: Atkins 2002, LCHF ~ Clean Eating Only
Start Date: Restart: 6/29/14
Thanks for the recipe! I can't wait to try it...hopefull tomorrow!
I am a OMM-aholic....I love 'em...and this version sounds really yummy.
Thanks
sherlocklabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

My only problem so far has been wanting another.
The good thing is it's too much of a hassle to make another batch quickly. If I'd started out with a half dozen baked like some recipes I'd probably be suffering some kinda belly ache right now.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:46 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I made the recipe this morning....WOW!! YUMMMMMY! I like this variation very much.... I've found that I really like the OMM for breakfast in the morning....they are tasty, satisfying...and hold me over to lunch easily.
Thanks so much for sharing....I now have another item to add to my repetoire (sp?).
Old 06-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NGJ26
WOE: Keep It Simple
Start Date: August 2009
I'm so glad you are all enjoying it! I have had one for Breakfast every week day! Definatly sooooo filling and holds me over till lunch and that's really saying something for this hungry girl!

Scorpgc: My flax seeds are golden milled but I do not mill the Chia seeds for this recipe, but it would whizz up great with your almonds!

Today I made a LEMON "POPPY"(chia) seed version:

I left out the vanilla (cause I didn't have any-would keep)
Do not add the cinnamon
Add 1 Tsp. high quality Lemon Extract
Added 1 additional packet of sweetner (Stevia Blend).

DELISH!! Perfect with that gooey cream cheese center. I would love to tweak this a little more cause I love lemon- I was thinking maybe a packet of True Lemon ( haven't worked with this much)
NGJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
I made a few of these but used garlic and onion powder to make it more savory tasting. I added a bit of melted butter on top!

NOM NOM NOM NOM!!
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGJ26 View Post
I'm so glad you are all enjoying it! I have had one for Breakfast every week day! Definatly sooooo filling and holds me over till lunch and that's really saying something for this hungry girl!

Scorpgc: My flax seeds are golden milled but I do not mill the Chia seeds for this recipe, but it would whizz up great with your almonds!

Today I made a LEMON "POPPY"(chia) seed version:

I left out the vanilla (cause I didn't have any-would keep)
Do not add the cinnamon
Add 1 Tsp. high quality Lemon Extract
Added 1 additional packet of sweetner (Stevia Blend).

DELISH!! Perfect with that gooey cream cheese center. I would love to tweak this a little more cause I love lemon- I was thinking maybe a packet of True Lemon ( haven't worked with this much)
Oh...that sounds really yummy!! I've gotta try that! I've been playing around with different ingredients...the variations are ENDLESS (I was actually thinking this morning...hmmmm a little banana extract....a few nuts...Wah-La, a banana nut muffin!)
I'm lovin' OMM & Mega Muffins...quite frankly, I do not miss bread or muffins anymore due to these recipes (plus the flax bread recipe)....I can't tell you how thankful I am that I've found these recipes....sure makes a huge difference for me. I have GOT to try those Chia seeds...
Old 06-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoraJR72 View Post
I made a few of these but used garlic and onion powder to make it more savory tasting. I added a bit of melted butter on top!
NOM NOM NOM NOM!!
Yes...I've done the sweet and savory....both are great!