Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Chocolate Layer Cake w/Buttercream Frosting

This chocolate cake is adapted from the black bean brownies Caroline posted and Char tweaked. Thanks you two! There's no trace of beaniness here--just rich chocolate taste! You have to let it sit overnight for the best flavor. With beans so cheap, there no reason not to try it!

Healthy Chocolate Cake
Adapted from a recipe at LowCarbFriends

Makes a single 9" layer cake, which can be halved and stacked for the taller cake you see here!

Preparation:
1-15 ounce can of unseasoned black beans
OR 1 1/4 cup cooked beans, any color
5 large eggs
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
6 tablespoons unsalted organic butter OR extra virgin coconut oil
3/4 cup erythritol plus 1/2 teaspoon pure stevia extract OR 1/4-1/3 cup honey plus 1 teaspoon stevia
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon water (omit if using honey)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9" cake pan with extra virgin olive oil cooking spray, or just grease it with a thin layer of butter. Dust cocoa all over the inside of the pan, tapping to evenly distribute. Cut a round of parchment paper and line the bottom of the pan, then spray the parchment lightly.

Drain and rinse beans in a strainer or colander. Shake off excess water. Place beans, 3 of the eggs, vanilla, stevia (if using) and salt into blender. Blend on high until beans are completely liquefied. No lumps! Whisk together cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Beat butter with sweetener (erythritol or honey) until light and fluffy. Add remaining two eggs, beating for a minute after each addition. Pour bean batter into egg mixture and mix. Finally, stir in cocoa powder and water (if using), and beat the batter on high for one minute, until smooth. Scrape batter into pan and smooth the top. Grip pan firmly by the edges and rap it on the counter a few times to pop any air bubbles.

Bake for 325 degrees for 45 minutes. You may need a little longer, as my oven runs hot. Cake is done with the top is rounded and firm to the touch. After 10 minutes, turn out cake from pan, and flip over again on to a cooling rack. Let cool until cake reaches room temperature, then cover in plastic wrap or with cake dome (I use an overturned plastic chip bowl). For BEST flavor, let cake sit over night. I promise this cake will not have a hint of beaniness after letting it sit for eight hours! If you are stacking this cake, level the top with a long serrated knife, shaving off layers until it is flat and even. Frost immediately before serving.

~57.6g net carbs for the whole cake using erythritol/stevia.
~5.7g net carbs per 1/10th
~125.6g net carbs for the whole cake using honey/stevia.
~12.56g net carbs per 1/10th

Healthy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Makes enough to thickly cover one layer, or fill and frost a halved stacked layer

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted organic butter, softened, OR 7 tablespoons nonhydrogenated shortening
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon erythritol, OR 1/4 cup xylitol, powdered
5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons half and half OR coconut milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt
Good-tasting pure stevia extract, to taste

Optional addition for a glossy finish:
1 fresh organic egg yolk

Preparation:
Cream the butter in a small bowl until fluffy. Powder erythritol or xylitol in a coffee grinder or Magic Bullet for a minute or two, until extremely fine. Let sweetener settle in grinder before opening the top. Stir sweetener into butter with a spatula, then beat until smooth. Slowly blend in the cocoa powder (unless you want to redecorate your kitchen), vanilla, and sea salt. Beat in the half and half and egg yolk, if using. Add stevia, starting with 1/16 teaspoon. You'll probably use less than 1/4 teaspoon. Just keep tasting and adjust sweetness to your liking.

~7g net carbs for the frosting, using erythritol

"I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget. I've got a perfect body 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat."

Last edited by jacksmixedtape; 05-24-2009 at 04:35 PM..
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Oh DROOOOOOOOL!!

That would go so nicely with my cuppa decaf and cream right now....
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julievan
oh chocolate cake that looks great do you use the black soy beans or just plain black beans. you do such a great job with cooking
Julievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Oh DROOOOOOOOL!!

That would go so nicely with my cuppa decaf and cream right now....
Char! I have you to thank for the inspiration to make the bean brownies again. You rock! This really is the best cake ever. I promise to never doubt you.

Julievan, I just used an old can of GOYA black beans. Worked really well! Not sure if that soy taste would come through with soy beans.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

thanks Lauren this i will try
Old 05-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
OH MY!! Just in time for my TOM too next weekend!! I am for sure going to try this...

Thank you all!

HUGS
Christina
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

well your smarter than me i dont need an excuse lol
Old 05-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tryinghardtolose
Stats: 195/149.8/140
WOE: Atkins
Can I ask where you get your black beans? Jacksmixedtape, I see you used GOYA brand. I've checked our local grocery stores and all of the brands they carry aren't very low carb. How many carbs does the cans you use have?

Thanks so much in advance for your help! This cake looks very YUMMY! I can't wait to try it!!!
Tryinghardtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: romo20350
Stats: Goal: 10% BF
WOE: LC
Start Date: Janurary 10, 2009
I think I'm going to try this tomorrow and I'll be blown away if it really tastes as good as it looks.
Does it really taste just like a cake?
I wonder if my mom will know that it has BEANS lol.
romo20350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misslatte
Stats: 5'11" - 260/~175
Oh! Cupcakes!
misslatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tryinghardtolose, the GOYA beans are 45g net carbs for the whole can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romo20350 View Post
I think I'm going to try this tomorrow and I'll be blown away if it really tastes as good as it looks.
Does it really taste just like a cake?
I wonder if my mom will know that it has BEANS lol.
It definitely tastes like a cake. No beaniness here! Seriously. Even after I've mentioned the beans, no one has been able to tell.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:38 PM   #12
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
Char! I have you to thank for the inspiration to make the bean brownies again. You rock! This really is the best cake ever. I promise to never doubt you.
Ohhhh, girl - be careful!

I'd never lead you astray. Not intentionally anyhow!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:51 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
This looks really good, Lauren. Thanks for adapting this wonderful recipe to make cakey. great picture too.

I use the Eden brand soy black beans in original recipe and you cannot taste any 'soyness' at all!
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:29 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Oh my goodness, this looks WAY to good! I'll have to make this soon, serious chocoholic here. THANKS Lauren!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Lauren, this chocolate cake looks like a winner! Lovely photography too! It looks more dense and moist than light and fluffy?

I meant to tell you, I did try a gluten-free yeast bread for you this last week, and although the flavor was good, the round loaf I made was only an inch high!! Then I tried replacing the ground almonds with oat flour and would you believe it, the high oat flour content made the loaf flop even worse - it rose to 2 inches this time, but it was too crumbly for my liking and into the garbage it went. Gluten-free and low-carb yeast bread is difficult to achieve. Anyway, I have another idea up my sleeve, which is completely yeast free and I believe it should work. It won't be exactly like bread, but it will be a medium for cheese and cold meats or sugarless fruit spread. Not sure when I will get around to it, but one of these days, and I'll let you know if it was any good.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Lauren: Wow...Who would think this was a bean cake?

I have made the bean cake with soy beans, but I prefer the regular beans..I think they have more starch to act like flour.
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
Wow! Okay, if you won't open a bakery, you at least need to put together a cooking book! Your pictures always look so delicious. That looks exactly like a real chocolate cake! In fact, it looks way better. I am sure it's as tasty.

What camera do you use?
My pictures NEVER look like that.
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaffodilSoup
Stats: 219 (all-time high)/150.2/140
WOE: HFLC Vegan
Start Date: May 18, 2011
Lauren, let's move to Vermont and get married.

But seriously, your recipes are just outta this world! Thanks again for a fantastic looking dessert!
DaffodilSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SmileySue
Stats: 332/125, size 2 Maintaining since 3/08!!
WOE: Low carb and clean eating/whole foods
Start Date: 9/05
Today was DD's sweet sixteenth birthday. We had an ice cream cake for her. I decided to make this one for me - O. M. G.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost wept, it was so good. The whole thing is gone and I only had one slice. The non-LC'ers attacked it and they absolutely loved it too!!!!

Lauren, you are absolutely amazing!! We are so lucky to have you here. I just can't thank you enough for all of the time and effort you put into your wonderful creations and for sharing them with us.

"Life is short, break the rules, forgive sooner, love with true love, laugh without control and always keep smiling.
Maybe life is not the party that we were expecting, but in the meantime, we're here and we can still dance....."

Last edited by SmileySue; 05-25-2009 at 09:52 PM..
SmileySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:08 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ShesSuperCool
Stats: My goal was to start taking care of myself.
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 14, 2011
OOOH I'm so excited! My daughter's birthday is in three weeks. Chocolate is her favorite!
I would try this out right now if I had the beans!
ShesSuperCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:32 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I use the black soy beans in the brownies and you'd never know that there were beans or soy in the taste, I love the brownies. The Eden black soy beans have only 28 carbs for the whole can, 24.5 grams of fiber for net 3.5 carbs for the can. Would lower the carb count significantly for the cake.

BTW the cake looks wonderful Lauren - you've done it again girl!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
Tryinghardtolose, the GOYA beans are 45g net carbs for the whole can.

It definitely tastes like a cake. No beaniness here! Seriously. Even after I've mentioned the beans, no one has been able to tell.

And remember, the net carbs (total carbs with fiber subtracted) aren't the end of the story; a great percentage of the starch in black beans (I think around 40%) is digestion resistant starch--so far less than the net carbs are actually digestible.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #23

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by misslatte View Post
Oh! Cupcakes!
My thoughts exactly!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetdreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileySue View Post
Today was DD's sweet sixteenth birthday. We had an ice cream cake for her. I decided to make this one for me - O. M. G.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost wept, it was so good. The whole thing is gone and I only had one slice. The non-LC'ers attacked it and they absolutely loved it too!!!!

Lauren, you are absolutely amazing!! We are so lucky to have you here. I just can't thank you enough for all of the time and effort you put into your wonderful creations and for sharing them with us.

Smiley... What beans did you use?? Black like Lauren or soybeans??

I am going to make this but can't decide which beans to use... I have soybeans in the pantry... but I'm willing to get regular black beans if needed.
Black beans are higher in carbs but I think digest slowly and therefore less insulin needed. Right??
sweetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:42 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SmileySue
Stats: 332/125, size 2 Maintaining since 3/08!!
WOE: Low carb and clean eating/whole foods
Start Date: 9/05
I used the regular black beans like Lauren. I actually have a couple of cans of the Eden black soybeans in my pantry but I was afraid to try them. I'm glad Tweaker Geek posted that they'll work too. The next time I make this (and there will DEFINITELY be a next time!! ) I'm going to try the soybeans.
SmileySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:15 PM   #26
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bissonnettemi
Question @ powdered E in frosting, if starting out w/ powdered E already, what measurement would we use for this recipe, would it roughly be the same or a bit less? Thx Lauren! Looks delish!
Bissonnettemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Smiley,

I bought the black beans today. I will go for the higher carbs and probably better taste like Carolyn said. Please Let us know how the soybean version compares.

Bissonnettemi.... I"m not sure but I think powdered E would be double the amont of granular. I'm sure Lauren will be around to help.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #28
Tyl

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
ok...will splenda work... this looks fabulous!
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

I just made the cake with black beans... it looks and smells good. Should I refergerate it?? Then frost it tomorrow??
Old 05-27-2009, 07:20 PM   #30
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
I just made the black bean brownies. A little cakey but very good. I used 1/2 cup of erythritol and 4 packets of Splenda instead of 1 cup of Splenda in Carolyn's recipe. Lightly sweet but very good.

Lauren, your website is phenomenal! Your pics of everything is great, your discriptions are complete, you list ingredients that most of us have. I really can't say enough. I am blown away. Today is the first time I visited it. I am very visual and have to have pics. How do I know if I want to eat it if I don't see it first!!

Question: Using other beans, say a white navy bean or a Great Northern, could one conceivably make a yellow cake? I could use this recipe but what would you use to replace the 6 T of cocoa? It's a powder that I think needs some form of replacement. Maybe 3T coconut flour?
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote