Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #241
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovelette View Post
I made a cheesecake using liquid splenda that I have sent to me and it was out of this world - BEST cheesecake I've ever had (it was on Linda's site, the Cheese Pie, except I used homemade plain yogurt as the topping instead of sour cream since we don't have it).

Anyway...this liquid splenda (super concentrated, I want to say 1 drop is like 1T sugar) is the only sweetener option I have here in Africa. I've been meaning to ask someone about this: can I use the liquid splenda as my ONLY sweetener? Or do I need to use some sort of blend/powdered form for the texture?

I can only have so much shipped to me, so unfortunately sweeteners (except for this bottle of Splenda which will last me over a year lol) aren't on the short list.

Chocolate and Splenda alone are not a very good mix, very bitter. Can you use the honey and stevia or splenda option? I think it would work like that.
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jill72
Stats: 162/125/120's
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/31/08
What cocoa is everyone using? I used the Hershey's Special Dark because it was all I had on hand, and although it's good, would like to try something different next time.
jill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #243
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by jill72 View Post
What cocoa is everyone using? I used the Hershey's Special Dark because it was all I had on hand, and although it's good, would like to try something different next time.
I just use regular Hershey's cocoa.
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:59 PM   #244
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
What shadowzip said! Chocolate and Splenda yield a bitter aftertaste, so if you can add a second sweetener, it would mitigate that.

Jill72, I don't recommend that Special Dark cocoa for this cake, just because the flavor is so strong!
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:13 AM   #245
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
The only second sweetener we have here is a liquid sweet and low...but thanks for letting me know about the splenda, guess that's why my flourless 3 minute cake is always a bit bitter lol.

Do you think I could add the sweet and low liquid? No honey here either.
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:21 AM   #246
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovelette View Post
The only second sweetener we have here is a liquid sweet and low...but thanks for letting me know about the splenda, guess that's why my flourless 3 minute cake is always a bit bitter lol.

Do you think I could add the sweet and low liquid? No honey here either.

Is that saccharin? Sure, add some to the batter and see if it tastes sweet enough.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:03 AM   #247
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Chocolate and Splenda

You are right, Lauren. Many years ago in 1993, when I first started baking with Splenda Granular, I was surprised and dismayed to discover that Splenda Granular was unable to lift the baker's chocolate to an acceptable level of sweetness. In fact, the more Splenda, I added, the worse it seemed to get {since at the time all I used was Splenda Granular (not even the packets) - unlike today where I like to sometimes combine Splenda with erythritol}.

However, I am crazy about chocolate (addicted is more likely!) and I did find a way around that problem - still using only Splenda Granular!

There are many ways to mitigate the bitterness - not only by using another sweetener in combination with Splenda, which was not an option for me at the time of writing my cookbooks, but by using whipping cream, powdered milk, whey protein powder, cream cheese, creme fraiche or sour cream in correct amounts. For instance, my Brownie loaf uses sour cream and that mitigates the bitterness of the cocoa in the loaf. My chocolate condensed milk sauce contains vanilla whey protein and skim milk powder. These products help tremendously and I have many, many chocolate recipes using only Splenda Granular (whether using garden-variety baking chocolate or dark Dutch cocoa, which was my preference) that are wonderful and plenty sweet enough for my incredibly sweet tooth. (I had to reign myself in just so that all the recipes and candies would not contain chocolate and that there would be a better balance between chocolate and non-chocolate recipes.)

I did discover later on that when very little cream could be used in the chocolate recipe to mitigate the bitterness, using the Splenda packets instead of Splenda Granular would do the trick. That is because the Splenda packets contain dextrose and not just maltodextrin and sucralose.

This particular recipe of yours would require a combination of sweeteners when using Splenda Granular, as there is no other bitterness-mitigating ingredient.

Hope this helps some folks who also like to use Splenda. I know some people cannot tolerate Splenda for whatever reason or perhaps are afraid of it. I usually feel very comfortable recommending Splenda to people, as the likelihood of anyone consuming as much as my family has, is slim to none - and we're fine almost 20 years later after massive consumption. My young sons grew up on Splenda (instead of sugar) and they have enviable physiques and metabolisms. Thing is, had I baked with sugar instead of Splenda, I personally believe my husband and I would be in a spot of trouble. Not only did we have 10 years or more of margarine (trans fats) when we were told to not have butter, but in our young married lives we downed plenty of sugary coco colas in ignorance - so, we would have had severe metabolic problems and probably diabetes by now.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #248
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
Jill72, I don't recommend that Special Dark cocoa for this cake, just because the flavor is so strong!
Thanks for the heads-up, Lauren. I grocery shopped today and got some Ghiradelli -- store had a good selection of cocoas, I finally just grabbed one. Got more black beans, too and can't wait to make this again. Embarrassed to say we've already polished off the one I made a couple of days ago.:blush:
Old 08-25-2009, 09:05 AM   #249
Senior LCF Member

Made this again using a different cocoa powder. Experimented by throwing everything into blender, blended until smooth.

Definite difference in texture - more brownie-like, as others have stated. Knowing this might be the case, I threw in a handful of chopped pecans. Also added 2 Tbsp. of leftover coffee (omitted the 1 Tbsp. water). Very nice, satisfying treat
Old 06-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #250
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: charlielou
Stats: 339/234/160 restart March 2010 293/260.5/160
WOE: atkins
Start Date: sept 2005 restart march 20, 2010
Made this for a dessert concert and everybody that had it loved it. DD thinks it's great and made with black soy beans, erythritol and liquid splenda it had no effect on my BG. What a thrill to have dessert on an enpty stomach and have a 1 hr reading of 5.4 and a 2 hr of 5.1.

One methodology comment. I can remember being yelled at as a child for adding the liquid to a recipe before the cocoa. Cocoa doesn't like blending in, hence Lauren's "redecorating the kitchen" comment, so it works very nicely if you blend it in the blender with the erythritol instead of adding it last in both the cake and frosting.
charlielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:49 AM   #251
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Love this cake. I always use black soy beans, E! and liquid splenda.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:18 AM   #252
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dollkey
Stats: restart 06-11/150.2/150.2/108 ht 4'11"
WOE: Dukan Attack Phase
Start Date: 06/13/11
Has anyone tried this with JUST Splenda? That's all I got
dollkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #253
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollkey View Post
Has anyone tried this with JUST Splenda? That's all I got
Unfortunately, Splenda + chocolate = bitter, most of the time!

You could try it, but I've never had really good results using only Splenda as a sweetener with chocolate anything.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Patricia Dowd
Start Date: Feb 2010
I am going to have to break down and try this one. I think I am having a hard time getting around the beans in it. I can't help but feel like I would taste them and that is not pleasing but so many people seem to really like it. I have tried so many things that other people thought were great but I didn't care for that I am a little scared of trying this one but I love cake and chocolate so I think I will go for it.
Patricia Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #255
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Try it, Patricia! I was highly skeptical myself but you honestly will NOT taste the beans. Let it stand til cool though, and another couple hours or overnight is even better for letting the chocolate flavor fully develop.

I'm with ya - a lot of things others are crazy for, I don't care for myself - but this cake is really REALLY good!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Try it, Patricia! I was highly skeptical myself but you honestly will NOT taste the beans. Let it stand til cool though, and another couple hours or overnight is even better for letting the chocolate flavor fully develop.

I'm with ya - a lot of things others are crazy for, I don't care for myself - but this cake is really REALLY good!
I fed this to people on an evening renown for the quality of sweets served and no one had a clue that not only was it gluten free but made of beans. I always label my stuff gluten and sugar free so pple will know if it is safe for them but everyone who tasted it loved it.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #257
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I can't taste the beans at all, this cake is very moist and so good. Like Charski said above, let it sit for a while (don't eat it warm out of the oven, it's not as good). I make it a day before I want to serve it because it just tastes better a day later.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #258
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Unfortunately, Splenda + chocolate = bitter, most of the time!

You could try it, but I've never had really good results using only Splenda as a sweetener with chocolate anything.

You broke my heart....
Old 06-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #259
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Would Diabetisweet work with this recipe? Maybe mixed with Splenda?
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:03 AM   #260
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cap57 had a great recipe for frosting and filling:

Creamy Chocolate Frosting

1 stick butter, softened
2 eggs, room temperature
5 oz. Lindt 85% chocolate (I use 1 whole bar plus 4 squares of a second) melted in the micro for 1 min.
4 packets Stevia Plus (I used E! about 2 tabls)
4 Packets Splenda, or equivalent liquid Splenda or Quick Pack

Using mixer or stick blender, beat butter and eggs together. don't worry when it looks curdled. Add chocolate and beat until smooth and creamy. Frost cupcakes and enjoy! Frosting will be soft initially, but will firm up. May be frozen.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #261
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I too was skeptical of the beans, but like Char said you cannot taste them. I would use black soy beans tho, way less carbs. Hint #2, if you don't use unsalted butter, do not add salt. I have done this twice, forgetting between months of making it that I made that mistake LOL

For a kick, this is Cap57's filling idea:

couple tabls peanut butter with E!, splenda and 1 tabls melted butter, then poked it in the sides. Came out like a funnybone. I didn't make them into cupcakes, just one 8 round and poked the pb in the sides at intervals. Her idea was to put in cupcakes.

Then frosted with the choco egg cream frosting. Very pretty, especially if you use a hot water knife to smooth out the sides and top.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:15 AM   #262
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laranda
Stats: 185lbs 5'1/147/GOAL-110
WOE: Atkins/IF
Start Date: LC Since 09 JUDDD - 1/30/12
Quote:

I'm scared too but not because of the beans, but I can't seem to make LC chocolate ANYTHING that tastes good I even tried E! and mixed it with splenda granular or even liquid splenda. I use the Ghiradellhi cocoa (so I don't think it's that)....I have some xylitol that I haven't tried out yet, and a little bit of E! left and plenty of Splenda (which I'm considering cutting out, now). What do u guys think? I'm willing to hit the store for something else
laranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #263
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Nu Naturals pure stevia powder and erythritol (or xylitol) together in the amounts Lauren's recipe calls for on the first post produces a very great tasting chocolate cake. I've made this many times and served it to friends/family and they all love it.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #264
Senior LCF Member

I made the bean cake a little while ago. I was a little scared because I felt like it would taste like beans even though everyone seems to love it. Well I have to say I am impressed as to the smell and taste but I am disappointed it did not rise well. I checked my baking powder and it was well without freshness date so I am stumped as to what happened. Also it is not sweet enough but I can always add more sweetner next time. I used 1/3 cup honey and 1 teaspoon liquid stevia. I am going to make the frosting to go on it so maybe that will make it taste sweeter. I did taste a little piece and it is really good and when it was baking it made the whole kitchen smell just like a regular chocolate cake. Now if I can just get it to rise I will be really happy. I am guessing this is going to be the best low carb dessert I have tried. Maybe someone can offer advise as to reason it did not rise.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #265
Senior LCF Member

The cake I made last week rose beautifully (although not like a cake mix) and had a beautiful rounded top. The cupcakes I made last night hardly rose at all, were flat on top and sank in the middle. Not nearly as pretty but still tasted great. But as for why they didn't rise - I don't know. There were only two differences, cupcakes vs 9" cake and yesterday's disgusting rainy weather.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #266
Major LCF Poster!

I'm not sure if it works the same here but when I bake cupcakes, I preheat the oven to 400-450. Then when I put the cupcakes in, I lower the heat to 350. This will make the cupcakes dome instead of flatten.

for cakes, I like to bake at a really low temp, maybe 300-325. This will make the cake rise evenly so there's no doming and no need to flatten the top.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #267
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollkey View Post
I'm not sure if it works the same here but when I bake cupcakes, I preheat the oven to 400-450. Then when I put the cupcakes in, I lower the heat to 350. This will make the cupcakes dome instead of flatten.
I'll have to try that if I make this cake into cupcakes again but it will be a while since I have gone thru an $11 bag of E this week.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #268
Senior LCF Member

I made the frosting and it looked o.k. I did not put in the egg yolk but it was also not sweet. I used the amounts called for so I don't know what happened. I am beginning to think I am never going to master low carb baking and just give up. I have spent so much money on all these things and nothing I have made has turned out. My husband agreed that the texture was great on the cake but the sweetner was off. It seems that is what I have problems with especially with chocolate.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #269
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Patricia, have you tried erythritol? I use it with other mixed sweeteners for my cakes. Chocolate is notoriously difficult to sweeten correctly, and I didn't have any luck until I used a mixture of sweeteners, including erythritol. I am not crazy about using so much stevia. Some people love it, but it has never worked for me as the main sweetener. Also, people differ in how sweet they like their treats. I have a terrible sweet tooth, so I often sweeten things a little more than the recipe calls for. Many long time low carbers lose their taste for sweets, (not me, though), and I find the sweeteners in them inadequate. Also, I taste the batter before it goes in the over. You want it to taste slightly sweeter than you think it should be.
Don't give up. You will find treats you love little by little.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #270
Senior LCF Member

I used 1/4 cup of erythritol plus the 1 tablespoon and then added some stevia. I had the powdered erythritol and I put it in my bullet and powdered it some more. Maybe I should have used more? This is what the recipe called for.