Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #151
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: BarbDe
Stats: Quit smoking 11/4/07; 16/10/10 on 11/30/12
WOE: Low carb/Paleo/& Crossfit!
Start Date: August 2004
I use the silicone pans and spray with Pam and have no sticking issues at all. I love my silicone pans!!!

My youngest son (20) works at a local gym and is really health conscious (not low carb though). Anyway. He took a couple cupcakes with him to work to share with his co-worker. I can't wait to hear what he has to say about them.
BarbDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #152
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bissonnettemi
I forgot to mention that when I made this cake I didn't use any wax paper nor parchment and it came right out of my nonstick PC cake pan. Plus I never refrigerated it and it was good til gone. Didn't use egg in frosting, though.
Bissonnettemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:40 AM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Tweaker Geek, I used a silicone pan, no spray. The cake came out beautifully. But I used black soy beans. I'll bet you are right about which kind and brand of beans you use in relation to the sticking issue.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #154
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
All right, here i go. I'm making the chocolate cake but doing a SF pudding poke cake instead for my BF. I will report back this afternoon. I have cannaloni beans and SF vanilla pudding for the vanilla version but the BF wants chocolate.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Thanks Barb, Mi and Soobee. I do have silicone cake pans - don't know why I didn't use them!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #156
Always on, slightly off

Allright, it is in the oven and the batter was very good. Here's what I did:
3/4 of a cup of Truvia instaed of E. and Stevia
Used 1/3 cup of honey (BF is not LC so this was no big deal)
Used 4T Hershey's Special dark cocoa plus 2T Hershey's regular cocoa
The batter tasted perfect. I liked the Truvia (Yes, I opened a bunch of little packets) and I like my chocolate dark so the Hershey's Special Dark was good. I'll let you know how it bakes up. It is in a 9" square pan.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Another batch is in the oven (cupcakes) to bring over to FIL's today! I'm using paper cupcake liners, sprayed with TJ's olive oil spray.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #158
Always on, slightly off

Lauren, this is fabulous! Really nice and moist, very chocolaty, the pudding is a nice touch. This has to make a fab layer cake as the top fluffs up a little in the oven but flattens out when cooling so no domed tops. I think to make a really impressive 9" 2 layer cake, I will use 2 pans and increase the recipe by 50% but for us, a 9" square is perfect. It is barely room temp and I don't detect any bean flavor but I did use dark chocolate. I really liked my sweeteners but next time may use straight Truvia and nix the honey to save the carbs. But I did like the subtle honey flavor. The problem with SF honey is there really isn't any calorie or carb savings as the Malitol has about the same GI as real honey and close to the same calories.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
BikerAng, spraying the liners with EVOO spray always works for me! I LOVE that EVOO spray. I get it at Kroger. It's so great for baking! Good to know that TJ's has it.

IA about the sugar-free honey, Cindy! Never did understand the big deal about sugar-free candies and the like--it's not even low carb w/the maltitol!

Glad to hear the 9" square cake worked out. Bet your combo of sweeteners is delicious.

I just made a yellow cake with cannelini beans and coconut flour, and used 1/4 cup Splenda, 1/4 cup Sucanat (it's cheap at Whole Foods and lower in carbs than honey), and 3/4 tsp stevia. Need to restock erythritol when I get paid tomorrow! Hopefully it'll turn out just as good as the chocolate version.

"I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget. I've got a perfect body 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat."
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #160
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
Does this taste like the brownie recipe?
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseMonkee View Post
Does this taste like the brownie recipe?
The brownie recipe is definitely more rich and dense, vs this light cake. They are both very chocolaty, though!
Old 06-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #162
Always on, slightly off

Lauren, how much coconut flour as that is my next venture? I hate to omit the honey as i feel it gives the recipe "personality" and also I think it would be superb in the vanilla version. I have double vanilla and vanilla bean paste and I plan on using both.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #163
Always on, slightly off

OK, I just re-read the recipe and I see your supposed to use E. OR honey, not both like I did! No wonder it was good!!
Old 06-22-2009, 05:14 AM   #164
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made the black soybean version again for high carb guests. A resounding success. The pickiest eater asked for the recipe!!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 05:43 AM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Thanks Barb, Mi and Soobee. I do have silicone cake pans - don't know why I didn't use them!
Tweaker, what were you thinking?

I have tasted her lc baked goods and yummo

I use the round 8" silicon baking pan and have used the silicone cupcake one too. Both just flip the cake right out.
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:47 AM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cindy, I'll have to try another batch of the yellow cake, but i used 1/3 cup coconut flour in place of the cocoa powder. Going to adjust the amounts of butter and eggs and see if I can get a nice yellow hue. It doesn't taste beany!
Old 06-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #167
Major LCF Poster!

Spraying the liners with EVOO spray worked like a charm!

My SIL absolutely LOVED these cupcakes and asked for the recipe. She couldn't believe there were beans in them. Just watch, pretty soon you'll see manufactures jumping on the chocolate bean cake bandwagon.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
I must be the worst baker in the world...I think I'm the only one who had NO luck with the recipe. I made it using the black soybeans. It smelled really awesome while it was baking and rose really high - but then completely sunk in flat. It was really moist and spongy even after baking for almost an hour. The texture was weird. I don't know what I did wrong all the ingredients I had were new nothing was old.

I think I'm just going to have to give up baking while low carbing because I just can't get these types of ingredients to work for me
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jill72
Stats: 162/125/120's
Start Date: 10/31/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divabunny View Post
I think I'm just going to have to give up baking while low carbing because I just can't get these types of ingredients to work for me
Diva, I sometimes feel that way - especially after a 'disaster' in the kitchen. I'll back off for a while, but then I always am drawn back in by all the wonderful recipes shared here. One or two 'successes' always gets me fired up to try new things...or I'll fall back on recipes that have turned out really well (Kevinpa's biscuits, Lauren's Banana Bread Muffins, Soobee's ice cream, etc.).

Yesterday I cooked all day long - made ice cream and meringue cookies filled with chocolate ganache and lemon curd, lemon custard with whipped cream. Everything came out so well, I checked the pantry this morning to see if I have all the ingredients for this scrumptious sounding bean cake. I do. Now I'm hesitating LOL - I don't want to ruin my lucky streak! (Nah, I think I'll go ahead and give it a try...if it bombs, I'll just go back to something that's been a hit (my husband LOVED the cookies)!
jill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Divabunny, my black soybean cake was flat also. I did notice, however, that it turns from not cooked to cooked in an instant. I checked it at 30 mins. It was very wet. I checked it at 35, and it was done. I think the cake tastes best just cooked.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

I used black beans (not soy), I've made these cupcakes three times now and they have always turned out REALLY good, not flat, totally cake like texture - IMO better than any flour cake I've tried. Maybe your baking powder is old (supposed to buy new every 6 months). The carb count is already pretty low using regular black beans (especially if you make 12 cupcakes).
Old 06-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jill72 View Post
Diva, I sometimes feel that way - especially after a 'disaster' in the kitchen. I'll back off for a while, but then I always am drawn back in by all the wonderful recipes shared here. One or two 'successes' always gets me fired up to try new things...or I'll fall back on recipes that have turned out really well (Kevinpa's biscuits, Lauren's Banana Bread Muffins, Soobee's ice cream, etc.).

Yesterday I cooked all day long - made ice cream and meringue cookies filled with chocolate ganache and lemon curd, lemon custard with whipped cream. Everything came out so well, I checked the pantry this morning to see if I have all the ingredients for this scrumptious sounding bean cake. I do. Now I'm hesitating LOL - I don't want to ruin my lucky streak! (Nah, I think I'll go ahead and give it a try...if it bombs, I'll just go back to something that's been a hit (my husband LOVED the cookies)!
Thanks Ladies!

I'm sorry Jill72 I don't want to discourage anybody from trying the recipe, please do!! I'm sure a lot of the problem is me! I just cannot get most of the sweet recipes to work for me with the exception of cheesecake.

I just get so discouraged because some of these ingredients are pricey and it's just so disheartening when a recipe ends in disaster. A part of the problem is the pictures look soooo good that I go in with such high expectations that unless it tastes like the real thing I'm so disappointed - That's totally my fault though, I just haven't acquired a taste for things baked with meals and various other low carb baking goods I guess.

I will try this recipe again in the future WITH the Black Beans because I'm sure that must make a difference!

Sorry Lauren for the threadjack with my pity party :blush:
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Divabunny, the recipe is pretty foolproof if you stick to my listed ingredients. Black beans are starchier than soy beans (they have more carbs), so the cake probably sets up better. I've never baked anything with soy beans, so there's no guarantee that the recipe will turn out the same as the one that I listed. Sorry your tweak didn't work out. Best of luck making the cake again, if you give it a shot. Don't get discouraged!
Old 06-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divabunny View Post
Thanks Ladies!

I'm sorry Jill72 I don't want to discourage anybody from trying the recipe, please do!! I'm sure a lot of the problem is me! I just cannot get most of the sweet recipes to work for me with the exception of cheesecake.
We could be sisters - I can't tell you how many times I've felt the exact same way. My first try at all of this was that coconut oil bark made with chocolate and erythritol. I spent a small fortune at netrition.com gathering tons of weird sounding stuff LOL and then that bark turned out just awful. My next stab at LC cooking was a cheesecake and it turned out really well. I was stoked enough to try a few other things, but I really get nervous when a recipe calls for any combination of erythritol and chocolate. I need to get over that and just try a few things.

I'll definitely try this cake, even though I'm not near the chocoholic I was before starting low carb. I may just stick to non-chocolate type treats, and I really feel better since cutting all sugar from my diet. I think I'll make the cake as written, then just a simple ganache if I feel it needs some type of topping.

Hang in there, and keep posting your results. The collective experience in low carb cooking on this forum is amazing and I've learned so much just by reading what works and what doesn't (I'm also collecting a lot of 'stuff' I never knew existed LOL).
Old 06-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PalmTreeGal
Stats: 181/123/115 @ 5'2
WOE: LC eclectic
In my experience Lauren's recipes consistently turn out. Erythritol is tricky but if you follow her directions it usually works. That's not to say I like everything - I thought the almond flour biscuits were icky and not biscuit-like at all. But that's a risk with any LC baked good, sometimes it's just not close enough to the "real thing."
PalmTreeGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #176
Always on, slightly off

I made the cake with black beans, 3/4 of a cup of Truvia (erythritol and stevia) and 1/3 cup of honey because I read the recipe wrong. You are supposed to use one or the other. I have made many flops. Give it another go. Blend your beans in the blender until they are tiny flecks. You may need to replace your baking powder/soda, esp. if you don't bake a lot.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Fan View Post
Tweaker, what were you thinking?

I use the round 8" silicon baking pan and have used the silicone cupcake one too. Both just flip the cake right out.

24Fan - I think I had one of those senior moments!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 06-22-2009 at 09:00 PM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:13 AM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTreeGal View Post
Erythritol is tricky...
Understatement LOL! It's the LC ingredient that I struggle with the most. I've spent hours researching for ways to counteract that 'cooling' effect that so often ruins a recipe for me. I like it a lot otherwise so I'll definitely keep experimenting.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #179
Always on, slightly off

[QUOTE=jill72;12138716]I've spent hours researching for ways to counteract that 'cooling' effect that so often ruins a recipe for me. OTE]

I did not notice this at all with Truvia. A little bit of a pain tearing open the packets but very good.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #180
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Suzie
I am going to have to try this! Chocolate has always been a big weakness of mine.
Suzie is offline   Reply With Quote