Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
Shadowzip, did you powder it with a coffee grinder? I'm going to try this recipe again and frost it this time. I still have some from last time though!! DH doesn't like it. He's so weird. He's afraid I'm going to feed him something he might not like, lol.

Yes I used a coffee grinder, I tried a little food processor but it just didn't get fine enough.
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
Sounds like you had success with the xylitol, but for future reference, Whole Foods now carries erythritol. It's in the baking section with the sugars and it's called ZSweet (or something similar to that).
Thanks, I do know that, but in her little town there are just a couple of health food stores and Wal-Mart, Albertsons and HEB and none of them have it and there are no towns nearby that would have a Whole Foods either. I do have erythritol at home in MI but didn't bring any here. Not sure what TSA would have thought of bags of white powder in my luggage.

By the way we had a piece tonight and it was wonderful, it worked with the xylitol. My card carrying low fat plan daughter thought it was amazing and said her DH would like it too.
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:31 AM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
Made this yesterday, Lauren. LOVE it. I've only made it with ricotta cheese added, as in the original recipe but this beats that.

No white spots on top of the cake. I process my E in the blender before using. Works ok.

I didn't use the frosting here though, just the one that's on the orange creamsicle cupcake recipe on your blog.

Love it. A keeper. Oh I made mine in a silicone loaf pan, as it was handy Came out perfect, cooked it at 325 for 45 mins.
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:38 AM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
24Fan - If you get a chance to make the chocolate frosting recipe for this cake you won't be disappointed, it is so creamy, chocolately and delicious - yummo! The chocolate frosting on this cake just put it over the top for me!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Tweeker I bet it is tasty, next try.

I used black soy beans but OMG have they jumped in price! Last can was $1.69, yesterday's (same store, Hannaford) $3.29 I think. Jeez.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #126
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
I used black soy beans but OMG have they jumped in price! Last can was $1.69, yesterday's (same store, Hannaford) $3.29 I think. Jeez.[/QUOTE]

The last can I bought was $1.69, too. If you're needing to buy other items from Netrition, they're selling the Black Soy Beans @ $2.19 per can.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CMIODOWS
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: 11/17/03
Has anyone else tried the orange cream (creamsicle) cake? I bought all the ingredients, but wanted to check before I tried making it. I tried the choc chip cookies with the beans and almond flour and wasn't too fond of them. Thanks.
CMIODOWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIODOWS View Post
Has anyone else tried the orange cream (creamsicle) cake? I bought all the ingredients, but wanted to check before I tried making it. I tried the choc chip cookies with the beans and almond flour and wasn't too fond of them. Thanks.
Where was the almond flour bean cookie recipe? I haven't posted one.

The creamsicle cake recipe is posted at the blog. I think there's a thread about it around here... try doing a search for orange cake or creamiscle cake.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CMIODOWS
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: 11/17/03
The choc chip cookies were in a thread called BEAN COOKIE EXPERIMENT. Sorry I don't know how to cut and paste to this site.

Couldn't find a separate thread for the creamsicle cake.
CMIODOWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think the retailers monitor these boards and see that such great things are being done with beans they're going to raise the price!!
Old 06-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julievan
has anyone cooked down there own beans for this
Julievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIODOWS View Post
Here is a thread on it, there might be another though..
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-frosting.html
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #133
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
I bought cannaloni beans also and thought I might try a vanilla cake with a lot of vanilla but the orange dream cake sounds so good. Maybe a vanilla poke cake with vanilla pudding on top. Make the pudding and pour on top of the cake with a bunch of holes poked in it with a wooden spoon. Pour the pudding before it sets up, then refriderate. Then top with "set up" vanilla pudding. I'm going to do that tomorrow!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
I used black soy beans but OMG have they jumped in price! Last can was $1.69, yesterday's (same store, Hannaford) $3.29 I think. Jeez.
The last can I bought was $1.69, too. If you're needing to buy other items from Netrition, they're selling the Black Soy Beans @ $2.19 per can.[/QUOTE]

hey thanks, Pam! I'll get some next week on payday.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #135
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Fan View Post
The last can I bought was $1.69, too. If you're needing to buy other items from Netrition, they're selling the Black Soy Beans @ $2.19 per can.
hey thanks, Pam! I'll get some next week on payday.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome...
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:27 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hipslikemonroe
Stats: 220/177.5/140
WOE: Low Carb
I gave this a go tonight, but it didn't turn out due to my own mistakes! I accidentally put in a whole tsp of baking soda, and it was also extremely salty. I think my beans may have been seasoned? I couldn't find any at the store that stated unseasoned, just ones that said seasoned or nothing at all. The kitchen did smell heavenly even though I had to dump the batch! Will have to try it again the right way
hipslikemonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipslikemonroe View Post
I gave this a go tonight, but it didn't turn out due to my own mistakes! I accidentally put in a whole tsp of baking soda, and it was also extremely salty. I think my beans may have been seasoned? I couldn't find any at the store that stated unseasoned, just ones that said seasoned or nothing at all. The kitchen did smell heavenly even though I had to dump the batch! Will have to try it again the right way
The saltiness was probably the extra soda. I hate when that happens!
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #138
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: BarbDe
Stats: Quit smoking 11/4/07; 16/10/10 on 11/30/12
WOE: Low carb/Paleo/& Crossfit!
Start Date: August 2004
I've got cupcakes in the oven! I am so impressed with the batter!
MIL has just discovered she has Diabetes. Tomorrow is DD's birthday, so I'm sure MIL will be surprised to see that she CAN have cake!!
DH is in shock at the batter too LOL.
I haven't decided if I'm going to make the frosting or not. I'll wait and see how they are without it.

Oh, anybody know how long to bake the cupcakes?
I'm looking but I'm not seeing that mentioned.
BarbDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #139
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
LOL! I'll take some! I'll post later today.

ETA: Ok, I just made up a plate for my mom and there were WAY fewer cupcakes this morning than there were last night when I put them in the fridge. I think DH snuck a few. LOL! Here are the pics, next time I'll use papers for the cupcakes (not sure why I didn't when I made these!) because they stuck to the pan a bit.

OK, maybe I WILL make the frosting!!
Old 06-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbDe View Post
I've got cupcakes in the oven! I am so impressed with the batter!
MIL has just discovered she has Diabetes. Tomorrow is DD's birthday, so I'm sure MIL will be surprised to see that she CAN have cake!!
DH is in shock at the batter too LOL.
I haven't decided if I'm going to make the frosting or not. I'll wait and see how they are without it.

Oh, anybody know how long to bake the cupcakes?
I'm looking but I'm not seeing that mentioned.
Try 25-30 minutes. You want them have risen high, and be firm to the touch.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #141
Blabbermouth!!!

O M G!!!!!!!

This is incredible!!!

Too bad my sis is in Ohio and I am in Florida LOLOL.
My hubby and son are snatching them, I have to hide them!!
I was worried, the batter seemed a bit bitter. But this is PERFECT! I can't wait to tell MIL she can have cake tomorrow!

I did not care for the frosting. Too much cocoa for me. It was really bitter. But these cupcakes do not even need frosting!!

Thanks so much.
Who would have known??? Bean cake!
Old 06-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I baked the cupcakes for about 25 mins (check after 20 and start touching the tops to see if they are set). The frosting is VERY good. I stirred the stevia into the cream before adding it to the frosting and it helped distribute it a bit better (I've made these cupcakes twice now :blush.

ETA: I'm not sure why the frosting was bitter BarbDe, maybe from the stevia? I only added about 1/8 teaspoon (if that) for the whole batch.

Last edited by BikerAng; 06-12-2009 at 06:26 PM..
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #143
Blabbermouth!!!

Nah, it was just too cocoa-y. I tried it before the Stevie. Then added the Stevia and still didn't care for it. Just my personal taste. It was beautiful frosting though! LOL.

I bought 2 cans of beans just in case I liked the cake! I'll be making it again soon I am sure.
(I did freeze a few cupcakes though, to make them last!)
Old 06-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I made the cake with black soybeans. It came out so well. It was moist, tender, close-crumbed, and delicious. No hint of beany flavor. I read Sweetdream's hint that the black soy beans made a drier cake, and added 2 T Davinci's vanilla syrup, as well as 1 t of instant coffee and 1/4 t chocolate extract. The cake is perfect. Plan to make it next weekend for Father's Day and high carb family. It's so low carb this way and so great tasting. Thanks, Lauren.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:27 PM   #145
Blabbermouth!!!

MIL requested the recipe!!
Old 06-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #146
Blabbermouth!!!

Making this again tonight for MILs party tomorrow. Had to come bump this since I need to reprint it!
(I froze 4 cupcakes from last week. Had one today. Still Yummy!!)
Old 06-19-2009, 05:14 PM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Soobee, SO glad you hear you enjoyed it. That's so cool it works with soy beans, too! Adding the coffee is a great idea. Will try that next time!

Yay cupcakes, Angie! I followed your lead and made them into mini cupcakes. The boys in the apt upstairs enjoyed 'em!

Barbde, it's great to hear that your MIL enjoys the cake enough to request it! Have fun at the party.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lauren - What is the purpose of spraying or greasing the pan and sprinkling with cocoa powder then covering with parchment paper and spraying the parchment? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I just made another cake today, I told a friend about it and she really wants to try it. She's visiting from AZ and I'm seeing her again on Monday so I'll have it for her. I sure hope this one tastes as good as the first one I made, it was so rich and chocolately, I loved it. I know she'll love it too! (I may have to sneak a piece tomorrow after I frost it just to be sure it's good enough for sharing!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 06-20-2009 at 03:07 PM..
Old 06-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Lauren - What is the purpose of spraying or greasing the pan and sprinkling with cocoa powder then covering with parchment paper and spraying the parchment? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I just made another cake today, I told a friend about it and she really wants to try it. She's visiting from AZ and I'm seeing her again on Monday so I'll have it for her. I sure hope this one tastes as good as the first one I made, it was so rich and chocolately, I loved it. I know she'll love it too! (I may have to sneak a piece tomorrow after I frost it just to be sure it's good enough for sharing!
Haha, I always sneak a little bit, too. I sprinkle it with cocoa powder to make sure it comes off the sides. The parchment paper doesn't stick to anything. It's extra insurance that the bottom of the cake will come out of the plan cleanly. I've had too many heartbreaking sticking incidents. Doesn't it feel like such a waste after all your hard work?

Good luck with your next cake, Tweaker!
Old 06-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
. I've had too many heartbreaking sticking incidents. Doesn't it feel like such a waste after all your hard work?

Good luck with your next cake, Tweaker!
Yes, it certainly does! I had the sticking incident today, I sprayed and cocoa'd the bottom of the pan but didn't bother with the parchment. I won't do that again with this cake -- I have quite a mess, I mean a big mess, but frosting covers mistakes - I don't think I've ever had a cake stick as bad as this did! LOL, I should have known to do what you said in the first place! Funny thing is, I didn't use parchment the first time and it didn't stick. I used a different brand of beans this time that's all that was different.

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 06-20-2009 at 06:14 PM..