Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: romo20350
Stats: Goal: 10% BF
WOE: LC
Start Date: Janurary 10, 2009
My cake is in the oven right now.
The batter tastes pretty good and I'm hoping it tastes even better when it comes out.
I'm a bit worried I did something wrong though because the batter wasn't completely smooth. It looked like it had little grains of butter throughout. Maybe I didn't blend the eggs in enough to create an emulsion. But I'm really hoping it comes out good!
romo20350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: missymagoo12
Stats: 235/225/145
WOE: stellastyle,atkins
Start Date: april 2004
this looks so divine! sue
missymagoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: romo20350
Stats: Goal: 10% BF
WOE: LC
Start Date: Janurary 10, 2009
Wow this cake is soooo good and soooo satisfying!
Thank you so much Lauren! Everybody should definitely try this!
Its so moist!
The only thing I had trouble with was the frosting.
I'm not sure what I did wrong but it came out so so.
Maybe because I used salted butter but it didn't get as dark as your picture looks it kinda a light brown.
I will definately be making this again though!
Thank you thank you thank you!
romo20350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: heartlandcountry
Stats: 229/226/145
WOE: VLC (very low carb)
Start Date: 5/26/09
OMG - (licking computer screen - why haven't they made a scratch and lick screen yet?!)

You photo makes me want to run and get everything to make this now. The only thing is I don't have is the erythritol because I want to research it first. I don't use aspartame or sucralose (splenda) because I want to stay away from all chemical sweeteners.

I picked up Xylitol, but found it doesn't really taste like I wanted even though it is supposed to be as close to sugar as possible. Not only that it's really expensive. So I am hoping the erythritol is safer as well as good flavored.

Can't wait to try this!!
heartlandcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #35
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Peacesoul
Stats: Coming up on 43yrs old...ekk!
WOE: smart
Is that an actual pic of a real bean cake?
Peacesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: heartlandcountry
Stats: 229/226/145
WOE: VLC (very low carb)
Start Date: 5/26/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacesoul View Post
Is that an actual pic of a real bean cake?
I thought the same thing...is that the actual cake?
heartlandcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qbert
OMG, this looks so delicious. I love cake.
qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartlandcountry View Post
I thought the same thing...is that the actual cake?
'Course, you guys (Hi Peacesoul!)! It's all original photography. That there's made with beans.

Things have gotten crazy this week!

24fan- Good to know these work with soy beans!

BikerAng- Hope you give it a try!

Jennifer- I thought the cake was pretty fluffy. A gluten-free bread sub for spread and sammies? Sounds amazing! You are such a talented baker. I eagerly await to taste what you come up with!

Carolyn- Yup, whoddathunkit? Your recipe was a great jumping off point. Can't thank you enough for the beanspiration!

NurseMonkee- Thanks for much! I use a Fujifilm finepix 10 megapixel digital I got for xmas a couple years ago. Use a steady hand (or better yet a tripod) and natural light, along with photoshop or paintshoppro for tweaking. That's all there is to it. Oh, and practice! You haven't seen the thousands of rejected photos, haha.

Canada_Bound- I'm dying over here! I wonder if they have good low carb food in Vermont...

SmileySue- Your comment makes me so happy! You are so sweet. Glad you got to enjoy a bite of something sweet along with your DD. Happy late birthday to her!

ShesSuperCool- It'd be a great bday cake! Cupcakes, too. There are definite possibilities.

Tweaker- Thanks for the feedback on the soy beans! Good to know if I see those on sale...

CreekWatcher- that is so interesting about resistant starch! Wow, going to have to read up on that.

Bissonnettemi- You'll need a bit more than double the powdered E.

Chantyl- A cup of Splenda would probably be just fine!

Sweetdreams- The longer it sits the better! After 12 hours it will taste perfectly chocolatey.

CindyCRNA- Thanks so much! Glad you got a chance to look around. Funny you mention other beans, as I just bought some pinto beans (65 cents a can!) to play around with. Going to make apple spice muffins. Not sure if a yellow/vanilla cake would work with beans, just because another strong flavor is sort of necessary to counter the beaniness. I'll be replacing the cocoa with coconut flour!

Missymagoo-Thank you! Hope you get a chance to try it.

Romo- So glad you enjoyed the cake! The frosting wasn't super day, but it was chocolatly tasting.

heartlandcountry- Give erythritol a try! I love it. It can be a bit grainy after cooling in fridge, but hey, it has zero carbs and cals. If you're making this for kiddos, 1/3 cup honey and stevia works well, too.

"I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget. I've got a perfect body 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat."

Last edited by jacksmixedtape; 05-28-2009 at 06:40 PM..
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetdreams
O.k.... I just finished frosting the cake. I let it sit 2 days before eating it. THIS IS the BOMB!! SUPER ROCKSTAR status! Lauren you must publish a cookbook or get a tv show or something.... God Bless you!

sweetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreams View Post
O.k.... I just finished frosting the cake. I let it sit 2 days before eating it. THIS IS the BOMB!! SUPER ROCKSTAR status! Lauren you must publish a cookbook or get a tv show or something.... God Bless you!

I thought I had good self control, but 2 days WOW! You've got me beat Sweetdreams!

I really want to make this cake but I've made so many chocolate desserts of late I think I'm ready for some cheesecake or something. I'm thinking along the lines of lemon or pumpkin. Any ideas? I won't get a chance to make anything till Sunday or Monday anyway.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #41
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Determinedtolose
Okay gosh darn it, I'm making this cake tomorrow!!!
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetdreams
Tweaker....

Beachgirl's cheesecake!
sweetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I made this last night, but made them into cupcakes. I had them on the counter cooling (they had been sitting for about 2 hours) and DH comes home and snags one and yells, "who are these for, are they legal?" He always yells that when we're in a restaurant or shopping too. He couldn't believe they were LC, and when I told him there were beans in them he just couldn't believe it. These are super!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
I made this today, but mine did not rise very muchhttp://images.lowcarbfriends.com/lcf/bbs/images/smilies/annoyed.gif.
It smells just like my old favorite Chocolate Mayonnaise cake!
I was thinking; I wonder if a white bean could be substituted to create a yellow cake. Has anyone tried this?
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

maybe you baking powder is old? Mine rose a lot and they didn't sink when cool. I did make cupcakes though...
Old 05-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

I suppose it is possible. I will change it next time. Thank you for the tip Bikerang. I had not thought of that.

I was thinking of subbing Cannelloni beans (they are 29 net carb. per cup) for black beans , and whey powder or dry milk powder for the cocoa to make a yellow cake.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Sweetdreams, yay! Happy to hear the cake turned out. You have far more willpower than I.

BikerAng, I'm so glad you liked the cupcakes! I just made a batch of cupcakes with bean batter--great idea!

Miboje, not sure why your cake didn't rise. Mine rose very high. Like Angie said, check your baking powder and soda. About yellow cake--not sure if you could mask the beany mustiness with just vanilla, and I don't think the powdered milk would soak up moisture like cocoa powder does. You could give a small batch a shot!
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:06 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

I'm curious if anyone does try to make a yellow cake, I'm afraid to try it because I'm nervous it will taste beany. Chocolate is very strong flavored and completely masks any bean taste. Maybe 1/2 the amount of coconut flour would work instead of cocoa powder? Spice cake would be good to cover the bean flavor, but I'm not a big fan of spice cakes.

Lauren - DH absolutely loved these (so did I). They are great!
Old 05-30-2009, 10:22 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pork Chop
Stats: Reached goal January 2002
WOE: Low carb maintenance
Start Date: July 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
And remember, the net carbs (total carbs with fiber subtracted) aren't the end of the story; a great percentage of the starch in black beans (I think around 40%) is digestion resistant starch--so far less than the net carbs are actually digestible.

From a 2001 study:
Quote:
Of the 29 food and feed ingredients studied, the legumes (seven varieties) contained substantially higher percentages of both dietary fiber and resistant starch. black beans, for instance, contain the highest amount of total dietary fiber (43 percent), and 63 percent of their total starch content is resistant starch that makes it to the colon.
Legumes found to contain starch carrying a fiber-...( Champaign IL Legumes often fall far...)

If that's accurate, it would substantially lower the usable carb count.
Pork Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:50 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bwylde
Stats: (405 highest) 385/365/200
WOE: Low Carb, TOPS
Start Date: January 2014
I keep meaning to make this but I've been so busy! I can't wait and neither can the kids. I used to make bean cookies that they loved and they think this looks even better! I may make two and freeze one unfrosted to have on hand.
bwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:31 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

I made the frosting last night for the cupcakes and all I can say is YUMMMM! Another poster said it didn't turn out very dark, mine was just a very slight shade lighter than the cake (which was very dark). I used organic palm oil and Green and Black's cocoa. I use xylitol and stevia for the sweeteners. Too good! I'm bringing 1/2 of them to my mom today so I can get some out of the house. This made 15 good sized cupcakes with lots of frosting on each.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:55 AM   #52
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
I made the frosting last night for the cupcakes and all I can say is YUMMMM! Another poster said it didn't turn out very dark, mine was just a very slight shade lighter than the cake (which was very dark). I used organic palm oil and Green and Black's cocoa. I use xylitol and stevia for the sweeteners. Too good! I'm bringing 1/2 of them to my mom today so I can get some out of the house. This made 15 good sized cupcakes with lots of frosting on each.
What - no PICTURES?!!!

I bet they were very well received!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:10 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

LOL! I'll take some! I'll post later today.

ETA: Ok, I just made up a plate for my mom and there were WAY fewer cupcakes this morning than there were last night when I put them in the fridge. I think DH snuck a few. LOL! Here are the pics, next time I'll use papers for the cupcakes (not sure why I didn't when I made these!) because they stuck to the pan a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0021.jpg (40.3 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by BikerAng; 05-31-2009 at 12:20 PM..
Old 05-31-2009, 12:24 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Since I am not the only one wondering about making a yellow bean cake, I will begin experimenting with one.

Lauren- Thank you for your feedback about the vanilla alone not being able to mask the bean flavor. I bet you are right about that. I am thinking of using half the beans and subbing whey protein for the other half. Time to get out my daughters E-Z bake oven! Lol..........

I'll report back.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:40 PM   #55
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
LOL! I'll take some! I'll post later today.

ETA: Ok, I just made up a plate for my mom and there were WAY fewer cupcakes this morning than there were last night when I put them in the fridge. I think DH snuck a few. LOL! Here are the pics, next time I'll use papers for the cupcakes (not sure why I didn't when I made these!) because they stuck to the pan a bit.
Yum!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:48 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Oops, just looked at my muffin pan and it's only 12, not 15. The cake batter fit perfectly in my 12 muffin pan and the frosting frosted 12 as well.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:10 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: libbysmom
Stats: 226/217/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 1/25/09
My husband and I just finished a slice of this cake! This is seriously delicious. He thinks I am pulling his leg on the black beans!!!! Amazing Lauren! Simply amazing and bless you to the original black bean brownie creator!
libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:37 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Off topic - sorry! Sweetdreams - I did make a Beachgirl cheesecake - coconut - well pina colada actually, I added both coconut extract and pineapple extract. It's still in the oven cooling.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #59
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Determinedtolose
Quote:
Oops, just looked at my muffin pan and it's only 12, not 15. The cake batter fit perfectly in my 12 muffin pan and the frosting frosted 12 as well.
They look so good BikerAng!!

How long did you bake them for?
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bwylde
Stats: (405 highest) 385/365/200
WOE: Low Carb, TOPS
Start Date: January 2014
I have two of these in the oven. DD couldn't stop eating the batter . She declared it delicious and amply tasted it for me, lol! I used half xylitol and splenda with a little stevia since I like my chocolate sweet. Oh and I used a can of chick peas and a can of black beans and just split them for each batch of batter since I made each cake individually. I plan to freeze one to have on hand since often I make something I love and never make it again because I'm too lazy . Then I will just have to make the frosting for the frozen one.

It is better to do something instead of nothing at all. Every step we make is progress!
bwylde is offline   Reply With Quote