Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Coconut Flour Pound Cake w/pics (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/618488-coconut-flour-pound-cake-w-pics.html)

jacksmixedtape 05-15-2009 12:44 PM

Coconut Flour Pound Cake w/pics

This pound cake is heavy and rich and almost cheesecake-y. You can use whatever sweetener you like, to taste, or use one of my stevia/honey or stevia/erythritol combos. Let it sit overnight and try it the next day, please! :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2115/...943e2fd2_o.png
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2225/...d70305c0_o.png

Coconut Flour Pound Cake

Makes 12 hearty slices

Ingredients:
1 1/4 sticks (1/2 plus 1/8 cup) unsalted organic butter, softened
4 oz cream cheese
10 large eggs
3 tablespoons honey OR 1 cup erythritol
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons (yes, tablespoons) pure vanilla extract
2 cups organic whole milk yogurt
1 teaspoon organic lemon zest
3/4 cup water
2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
1 teaspoon NuNaturals pure stevia extract (use 1/2 teaspoon if using erythritol)
2 cups sifted coconut flour

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 325F.

Grease a 95-inch loaf pan, and line the bottom of the loaf pan with a cut rectangle of parchment paper. Grease pan and paper with coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil spray. Sift coconut flour, lightly spoon into cup, and even with the sweep of a knife to measure out the proper quantity. Whisk in the rest of the dry ingredients. In a large bowl, cream the butter and cream cheese together for a minute. Beat in sweetener, and cream for a couple more minutes until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs, and alternately add the wet ingredients and dry ingredients (except the lemon zest) until combined. Beat in the zest.

Bake for 90 minutes, covering with tin foil after the first half hour if the top is already golden brown. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean, and the center looks completely set. Let cake cool for at least 1 hour, preferably OVERNIGHT, in pan. Invert cake on to a cooling rack and let cool completely, or else just tip it out of the pan and rest it on its side until cool. This cake tastes MUCH better the next day. Serve at room temperature, and store individual slices in the fridge.

~9g net carbs per 1/12th of a recipe (using honey)
~6g net carbs per 1/12th of a recipe (using erythritol)

SmileySue 05-15-2009 12:56 PM

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I swear, I almost licked the computer screen....

Lauren, you've done it again....:notwrthy::notwrthy: Thank you!!!!

lindaokc 05-15-2009 12:58 PM

Lauren, I :heart: you. There isn't anything I've made of yours that isn't divine (especially that hot molten lava cake:love:) This has GOT to be another keeper.

CarolynF 05-15-2009 01:21 PM

This looks extremely delicious..and with some fresh berries and whipped cream on top..What an elegant dessert.

Dixie Barkley 05-15-2009 02:13 PM

This looks fabulous!

mac24312 05-15-2009 04:31 PM

OMG Lauren!! Do you know how I have been craving a good Pound Cake!! I am going to make this next week!!

Grad or powered E GF....

TY so much GF!!
HUGS
Christina

bwylde 05-15-2009 08:23 PM

Sure post this when I'm trying to be good again, lol! Now if I had seen this yesterday it would of saved me cheating on my birthday :o

Monkee 05-15-2009 09:04 PM

I was just wondering what to do with my leftover coconut flour that I bought a few months ago. This recipe would be great!

I dont have full-fat yogurt.
I have 0% Fage...Do you think that would work? Should I just sub some fat? Maybe add in some coconut oil with the 0% fage? Do you think that would work? How much should I use?

jacksmixedtape 05-16-2009 08:54 AM

SmileySue, LOL! Your comment made me smile. :)

Linda, thank you! I don't think many recipes can top those lava cakes... so much chocolate. :D Glad you enjoyed!

Carolyn, it does look pretty! Not so yellow like most coconut flour desserts.

Dixie, thanks!

Bwylde, I hope you've gotten back on the wagon. ;)

NurseMonkee, two cups of whole milk yogurt are 16g fat, so add up the fat in FAGE and coconut oil (couple tablespoons? check calorieking.com) and put that in a measuring cup. Fill with water till you have two cups of liquid. :) HTH!

Monkee 05-16-2009 09:52 AM

Thanks.

BTW - I think you should become a pastry chef. You're so great at this. It seems to come naturally. If you opened up your own place, I would be the first to place orders to be shipped out to me! LOL.

Baking is one of my downfalls, yet over the last few years I've developed a taste for sweet. Go figure.

DaffodilSoup 05-16-2009 12:57 PM

This would make such a great base for summery strawberry shortcakes! Thanks so much Lauren!

mom2twoboys 05-16-2009 06:42 PM

Wow that looks great! Does it taste coconuty? I haven't tried coconut flour yet, I am not really a big fan of flaked coconut. This looks really hard to resist!

QueenBacon 05-17-2009 11:09 AM

LAUREN YOU ARE SUCH A TEASE! lol

jacksmixedtape 05-17-2009 11:29 AM

NurseMonkee, what a nice compliment! Thank you. If I wasn't paying $40,000 a year for my education, I might consider not being a doctor, LOL. Just kidding, but it'd be fun to have a bakery some day. Enlightened people like you would be the only customers. :laugh: Your taste has changed? Mine too! Didn't use to dig fat so much, haha. Or honey! Now it's amazingly tasty stuff. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canada_Bound (Post 11978118)
This would make such a great base for summery strawberry shortcakes! Thanks so much Lauren!

Hi Canada Bound, this cake might be a bit heavy for shortcake! It's like a giant moist slab of melt in your mouth lemony fatty goodness, haha. :D

Mom2twoboys, I think it has a faint aftertaste of coconut. The lemon seems to dominate, though. You can tell the coconut is there, but it's subtle.

Monkee 05-17-2009 07:52 PM

:love:

I just made these and LOVE them! They are rich and delicious. The lemon zest totally makes this recipe. The taste comes through nicely.

I only did 1/2 the recipe and used a mini muffin pan. I made 2 batches already and think that I might have enough left for a 3rd. That will give me 36 mini muffins of goodness.

Its totally kid friendly!
7 year old approved
8 year old approved
12 year old approved
14 year old approved

My SO loves them, too. He is popping them in his mouth like candy. He can't even wait until they cool. Such a greedy ******! LOL.

:up:

EssBee 05-18-2009 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NurseMonkee (Post 11982567)
:love:

I only did 1/2 the recipe and used a mini muffin pan. I made 2 batches already and think that I might have enough left for a 3rd. That will give me 36 mini muffins of goodness.

:up:

Nursemonkey, how long did you bake your mini muffins for? That size really, really helps with my portion control issues :blush:

Thanks for the recipe, Lauren. I'm going to try it this weekend. I actually have all ingredients! Coming from you, I have no doubt this is gonna be deelish!!

Monkee 05-18-2009 06:46 AM

I cooked them for 30 minutes at 350. They got lightly toasty on the top and stayed moist/rich on the inside. This morning they are just soft and moist and a load of goodness.

I should add that I am not using my regular oven (I use that for storage only! LOL) and instead made the mini muffins on my Oster convection oven. It works great, but it has these temperature controlled features. The temps go up and down naturally.

I just waited for the top of the mini muffins to get toasty and then stuck a toothpick like Lauren mentioned.

Keep in mind that I AM NOT A BAKER and no one should take baking advice from me. I got lucky this one time, but usually my baker adventures turn into disasters. :laugh:

pocahontas 05-18-2009 08:33 AM

My coconut flour is on its way! I cant wait to make this. :up:

mslaster 05-18-2009 06:24 PM

[QUOTE=jacksmixedtape;11974895]This pound cake is heavy and rich and almost cheesecake-y. You can use whatever sweetener you like, to taste, or use one of my stevia/honey or stevia/erythritol combos. Let it sit overnight and try it the next day, please! :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2115/...943e2fd2_o.png
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2225/...d70305c0_o.png

Coconut Flour Pound Cake

Makes 12 hearty slices

Ingredients:
1 1/4 sticks (1/2 plus 1/8 cup) unsalted organic butter, softened
4 oz cream cheese
10 large eggs
3 tablespoons honey OR 1 cup erythritol
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons (yes, tablespoons) pure vanilla extract
2 cups organic whole milk yogurt
1 teaspoon organic lemon zest
3/4 cup water
2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
1 teaspoon NuNaturals pure stevia extract (use 1/2 teaspoon if using erythritol)
2 cups sifted coconut flour

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 325F.

Grease a 95-inch loaf pan, and line the bottom of the loaf pan with a cut rectangle of parchment paper. Grease pan and paper with coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil spray. Sift coconut flour, lightly spoon into cup, and even with the sweep of a knife to measure out the proper quantity. Whisk in the rest of the dry ingredients. In a large bowl, cream the butter and cream cheese together for a minute. Beat in sweetener, and cream for a couple more minutes until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs, and alternately add the wet ingredients and dry ingredients (except the lemon zest) until combined. Beat in the zest.

Bake for 90 minutes, covering with tin foil after the first half hour if the top is already golden brown. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean, and the center looks completely set. Let cake cool for at least 1 hour, preferably OVERNIGHT, in pan. Invert cake on to a cooling rack and let cool completely, or else just tip it out of the pan and rest it on its side until cool. This cake tastes MUCH better the next day. Serve at room temperature, and store individual slices in the fridge.

[COLOR="Green"]Lauren,

What can I use in place of the lemon zest? Lemon Juice? Thanks for the recipe...oh, and i made the chewy honey nut cookies (i believe that's the name) and everyone on my job requested the recipe. They were really good...thanks for sharing your recipes...
[/COLOR]

fieldofroses1 05-19-2009 11:02 AM

Hey Lauren
I made your cake yesterday, and I have to say its the best LC cake I've made so far :). I was very skeptical since every low carb cake I made was a disaster, but happy to say I had it for snack, dinner and breakfast this morning :) thanks for sharing.

P.S. I have a food blog for LCers, i'm wondering if its Ok if I list ur recipe with my own pics.

lcmiller461 05-19-2009 12:05 PM

Absolutely BEE-utiful!

BikerAng 05-20-2009 07:41 AM

I made this last night and it is SO good (used the stevia and erythritol sweetener blend)! I made a 1/2 batch and baked 6 muffin tops and a mini loaf. It makes a SUPERB base for strawberry shortcake. Better than any high carb strawberry shortcake, IMO. Two thumbs up! I think it would also make a fantastic trifle.

Jennifer Eloff 05-20-2009 09:05 AM

Note for FieldofRoses and Lauren

I tried to leave a comment under your blog about your feeling sleepy after eating Tilapia and broccoli and your confusion about that, since it was low-carb. My comment vanished, so not sure what I did incorrectly. Eating foods high in tryptophan such as shrimp, chicken, turkey and fish will tend to make one sleepy some time after consuming them. It's normal. :)

Lauren, this sounds and looks lovely. I'm not sure about my coconut flour, so will wait a while until I can verify that it is similar to the Bob's Red Mill coconut flour that you are using.

IdahoAngel 05-20-2009 04:08 PM

I made this this afternoon.....I couldn't figure out how everyone got all the batter to fit into a loaf pan....so I put the rest of the batter into a 8x8 pan....put the loaf and square pans into the oven...then re-read the recipe....oops! I used 32oz of yogurt...but it turned out great! Thanks for a great recipe, Lauren! Very moist....have plans for some strawberries and whipped cream later tonight!

Determinedtolose 05-20-2009 05:36 PM

Can someone tell me what yogurt milk is? :blush:

IdahoAngel 05-20-2009 05:48 PM

It's whole milk yogurt.....yogurt that's made from whole milk (full fat) as opposed to low fat or fat-free.

Determinedtolose 05-20-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoAngel (Post 11996806)
It's whole milk yogurt.....yogurt that's made from whole milk (full fat) as opposed to low fat or fat-free.

Oh okay, full fat. .. gotcha!! Thanks!!;)

fieldofroses1 05-20-2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff (Post 11994316)
I tried to leave a comment under your blog about your feeling sleepy after eating Tilapia and broccoli and your confusion about that, since it was low-carb. My comment vanished, so not sure what I did incorrectly. Eating foods high in tryptophan such as shrimp, chicken, turkey and fish will tend to make one sleepy some time after consuming them. It's normal. :)

Lauren, this sounds and looks lovely. I'm not sure about my coconut flour, so will wait a while until I can verify that it is similar to the Bob's Red Mill coconut flour that you are using.

Hey jennifer, I got your comment on my blog, I don't know why your comment didn't appear, It might've been teasing you LOL, thanks for the response, it cleared things up :hugs:

fieldofroses1 05-20-2009 06:41 PM

Just another note on this recipe, I used one cup of splenda, didn't have any other sweetners, and I have to say I would add another 1/4 cup to sweeten it up. Other than that, it was soooooooooooo yummy

virgobaby 05-20-2009 09:10 PM

Lauren, I love you. I really really do!

Terri :)