Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2003, 01:51 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kris B
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 19, 2001
Question about glycerine

I bought some the other day (in a cake decorating shop) for my ice cream recipe and the lady asked what I was using it for. I told her about being sugar free and she asked if I was using it as a sugar substitute because some people do. I said no, I was using it to make the ice cream not freeze so hard but later I was thinking about what she said and I started to worry. Is glycerine a sweetner? What does that mean? Are there different kinds? Is it a sugar? Is there a carb count on it because I thought it wasn't absorbed by the body. I'm confused. I did a search and didn't get an answer to my question.
Any help would be very much appreciated!
Kris
Kris B is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2003, 02:20 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Hi Kris,

Glycerine is sweet, about 75% as sweet as sugar, however, it is derived from vegetable fats and does not affect blood sugar or insulin levels. Dr. Atkins says we may deduct glycerine from the total carb count to derive the net Atkins carbs for our daily carb count. Here is a site with information on glycerine:

http://www.sdahq.org/oleo/whygly2.html

Hope this helps and enjoy your ice cream! ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 01-29-2003 at 02:24 PM..
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 02:22 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: NorthernNisse
Stats: 234/180/180 5'7.5"
WOE: Atkins '72
However...glycerine stalls me almost immediately.

Josie
NorthernNisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 05:05 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OregonGal
Hi, neighbor! I use liquid Lecithin instead of glycerin in my ice cream. Also use a bit in pancake syrup (Davinci's) because it gives it a thicker, honey-like consistency. I found it at Tom's Natural Foods on McLaughlin in Gladstone. Stay dry...Pat
OregonGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 05:35 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

OregonGal, I just purchased 32oz Fearn Liquid Lecithin (A pure vegetable product in its natural liquid state, not bleached) for $5.46 at my local health food store ($4.35 on-line, PM for source ;-). I planned to use it in my ice cream in lieu of the lecithin granules...1T is equivalent to 1.5T of the granules. I noted (on the label) a recommendation for 'non stick cooking' (Mix two parts liquid lecithin into one part vegetable oil. Brush onto bake-ware just before cooking. Keep extra mixture in your refrigerator.) This might be a replacement for Pam on springform pans when making cheesecakes. It also may serve as a 'softening' replacement for glycerine in ice cream (a help to those sensitive to glycerine) as well as an emulsifier replacement for egg yolks...kill two birds with one stone...;-) Lecithin is known as an excellent way to lower cholesterol...0 carbs and protein. Is your ice cream as 'spoonable' when using liquid lecithin rather than glycerine? Looks like I'll have some testing to do lol! I love playing with new ingredients...;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 01-30-2003 at 06:05 AM..
Old 01-30-2003, 06:30 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OregonGal
lowcarbman...I purchased the same brand and size bottle for about the same price. It works great as a PAM replacement mixed and used as per package directions. And, actually, "my" ice cream is really your ice cream recipe and it is spoonable right from the freezer. I bought the liquid when I first read your ice cream recipe because I just couldn't get the granules mixed in even when I pulverized them in an old coffee grinder I bought at the local thrift store. Those little "millet-like" yellow pellets just grossed me out! I do combine the powder with other dry ingredients for bread and cake recipes. You are great at discovering new uses for new ingredients, so let me know if you find some other uses for the liquid.
OregonGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 06:37 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kris B
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 19, 2001
Hi neighbor!
I haven't been to that store in a long time. I bought the glycerine from the Decorette shop on Foster. I also got some liquid lethicin (sp?) while I was there and when I got home I wondered why I bought it. (LOL) Now I know.
If you use the lethicin then do you use egg yolks too? My recipe is a custard type base so I use eggs.

Lowcarbman: I checked out that site, Good info! The only reason I use the glycerine is for that spoonable factor. Let me know if the lethicin works for that too. I think I feel a little eaiser about using that because I've heard so many people say that glycerine stalls them. I only made the ice cream for a special event this week end. I won't be making it very often to give the lethicin a try but would like to know for future reference.
Thanks so much!
Kris
Kris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 04:55 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Liquid Lecithin...

OregonGal,

Here is an excellent site for information on lecithin:

http://www.newspirit.com/literature/...s_lecithin.asp

"Ways to Use and Take Lecithin
Lecithin dietary supplements come in three forms: Liquid (thick, syrupy), capsules and granules. All three contain phosphatidyl choline, but the granules contain the highest concentration of it. It is best to take your lecithin supplement with meals since it will act synergistically with other nutrients.

All lecithin mixes well with peanut butter, tahini, spreads and sauces (and ice cream too ;-). Since it is an emulsifier, it will make whatever you mix it with smoother and creamier. People may find the oil naturally contained in liquid lecithin and lecithin capsules aggravates complexion problems. They should use lecithin granules. Granular lecithin has a slight nutlike taste and can be taken with any drink. It also adds a little texture to sauces and spreads. When possible, add the lecithin after the cooking is finished to help preserve the nutrients naturally present in lecithin.

Whatever form of lecithin you decide to take, be assured that you are helping both your body and mind to be at their best."

Kris B,

Auntie3 is trying liquid lecithin in a chai latte ice cream recipe...will post her results on one of the ice cream threads...It will be a while until I can test because my freezer is quite full of ice creams now and I'm just not motivated to make ice cream in the middle of winter... lol! ;-)