Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Requested beef jerky recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/617663-requested-beef-jerky-recipes.html)

cleochatra 05-10-2009 08:35 AM

Requested beef jerky recipes

Here is a jerky article I wrote and recipes.

Meat candy. Chewy fun. More deliciousness in a bite than is almost legal. Almost.

One of my frustrations as I stalk through stores looking for a snack is eying delicious jerky, knowing it cannot be mine. At anywhere between 2-7 grams per miniscule serving, the carb cost is just too high, and for someone like me, even with a semi-normal blood sugar (hey, something about me has to be normal), the added sugars and chemicals caused me to starve afterwards, accompanied by the oncoming cravings.

When did beef jerky stop being all about the beef? You'll be pleased to note your jerky can be ingredients you can pronounce and enjoy, with flavors you'll come to appreciate.

Into saving some money? Good, because each pound of $3.50 grass-fed Laura's Lean Ground Beef (8 ounces post-drying)nets more than twice the standard amount of jerky (4 ounces), for one third of the price ($1.75 per 4 oz, versus $5). Sink your budget-lovin' canines into that, o carnivore friends.

Following are my favorite beef jerky recipes for use in a conventional food dehydrator or oven, using ground beef and a jerky extruder.

__________________________________________________ __________________

Basic beef jerky

1 pound ground beef
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt

Mix hamburger with seasonings until well blended (I use my Kitchenaide mixer with the dough paddle) about 1-2 minutes.

Using an extruder, pipe jerky onto trays.

Food dehydrator: Let dry for 6-7 hours or just before meat snaps in half. Practice with this method will show that you can dry slightly less than the snap-point for more tender jerky.

Oven: On the lowest setting possiple, and with the door ajar ever so slightly, let dry on racks for or until meat is close to breaking when bent in half.

Store in a ziploc bag.

Each pound makes 8 ounces of dried beef jerky. The beauty of this method is that the carb count is 0, and your caloric count is only as high as the amount you consume of, essentially, only ground beef.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Basic Spicy Beef jerky

1 pound ground beef
5 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt

Mix hamburger with seasonings until well blended (I use my Kitchenaide mixer with the dough paddle) about 1-2 minutes.

Food dehydrator: Let dry for 6-7 hours or just before meat snaps in half. Practice with this method will show that you can dry slightly less than the snap-point for more tender jerky.

Oven: On the lowest setting possiple, and with the door ajar ever so slightly, let dry on racks for or until meat is close to breaking when bent in half.

Store in a ziploc bag.

Each pound makes 8 ounces of dried beef jerky. The beauty of this method is that the carb count is 0, and your caloric count is only as high as the amount you consume of, essentially, only ground beef.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
Zesty Beef Jerky

1 pound ground beef
2 Tbsp Spicy Steak Seasoning *

Mix hamburger with seasoning until well blended (I use my Kitchenaide mixer with the dough paddle) about 1-2 minutes.

Store in a ziploc bag.

Each pound makes 8 ounces of dried beef jerky. **

pepperette 05-10-2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

[COLOR="Black"]Laura's Lean Ground Beef[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Is this just a Colorado thing, or is it available online?[/COLOR]

cleochatra 05-10-2009 09:05 AM

It's everywhere, from Kroger, to Super Walmart to Super Target.

That said, you don't have to use grass fed beef. That's just what I use.

metqa 05-10-2009 09:13 AM

Basic Spicy Jerky came out yummy.

I only used 3t of black pepper and it is So spicey. Thanks Cleo! :hugs:

cleochatra 05-10-2009 09:14 AM

You're welcome, metqa! I have been cutting back the pepper a bit. It is soooo spicy!

Kisal 05-10-2009 10:23 AM

Thanks for the recipes, Cleo! I've been making quite a lot of jerky lately, and needed some new recipes. I'm especially glad to have these recipes, because they don't require soy sauce, which for some odd reason, I always seem to be out of. :laugh:

cleochatra 05-10-2009 10:30 AM

I love jerky. I probably make it 3 times per week? LOL!

I love that the recipes are really, essentially, totally zero carb (depending on the spices used). They only add to a regimen as a quick snack or a fast meal replacement for people on the go. To me, meat shouldn't be pumped full of additives, which is why I can't stand the jerky in the stores. At 5 carbs a serving for theirs plus three servings per tiny bag at $5, it is ridiculous. Those things just made me hungry for candy. Home made jerky fills me right up and is about 1/3 of the cost, even with grass fed beef!

metqa 05-10-2009 11:05 AM

Cleo, does the meat have to be mashed to a paste before extruding. Mine kept breaking apart I guess cause there were still 'strands" like from when i bought it.

should I have smooshed it all toghether like for meatloaf?

pepperette 05-10-2009 12:26 PM

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Do you have a special extruder, or could you use a snipped-corner baggie to pipe the strips?[/COLOR]

cleochatra 05-10-2009 02:12 PM

I use hamburger, so the meat doesn't have to be mashed. However, to make sure the spice is distributed, I use my Kitchenaide for ease.

I use a beef jerky gun that generally runs about $15. They can be found sometimes at Bed Bath and Beyond, WalMart, online and at Cabellas. You don't need a huge one to do the job. Definitely toss their seasoning packets out. They're loaded with chemicals. Blarg!

lalala 05-11-2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleochatra (Post 11951444)
I love jerky. I probably make it 3 times per week? LOL!

I love that the recipes are really, essentially, totally zero carb (depending on the spices used). They only add to a regimen as a quick snack or a fast meal replacement for people on the go. To me, meat shouldn't be pumped full of additives, which is why I can't stand the jerky in the stores. At 5 carbs a serving for theirs plus three servings per tiny bag at $5, it is ridiculous. Those things just made me hungry for candy. Home made jerky fills me right up and is about 1/3 of the cost, even with grass fed beef!

If I send you money, can you please send me some ;)

cyberus 05-11-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepperette (Post 11951752)
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Do you have a special extruder, or could you use a snipped-corner baggie to pipe the strips?[/COLOR]

Or you can roll out the mix like a pasta dough and cut strips with a pizza/noodle wheel cutter.

mslaster 05-15-2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleochatra (Post 11951976)
I use hamburger, so the meat doesn't have to be mashed. However, to make sure the spice is distributed, I use my Kitchenaide for ease.

I use a beef jerky gun that generally runs about $15. They can be found sometimes at Bed Bath and Beyond, WalMart, online and at Cabellas. You don't need a huge one to do the job. Definitely toss their seasoning packets out. They're loaded with chemicals. Blarg!

do you think ground turkey will work?

cleochatra 05-15-2009 11:13 AM

I'd be wary of using raw poultry, but you could do an online search and see if the low temps are enough to rid the meat of the parasites and whatnot.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

mslaster 05-15-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleochatra (Post 11974619)
I'd be wary of using raw poultry, but you could do an online search and see if the low temps are enough to rid the meat of the parasites and whatnot.

thanks cleo....i didnt know there could be a diff with using raw poultry as opposed to raw beef.

ska53 05-17-2009 10:31 AM

mslaster,
I have made chicken jerky and turky jerky for years and not had a problem. Yes, you are warned that the chicken must be cooked first but I do it from raw. As a matter of fact we made about 100 lbs of it to take with us on a six month hiking trip. I sealed on weeks worth in vacuum bags and went away. Never had any fo bad at all.

I just but chicken in the dehydrator which was marinated in Linda Sue's "Almost Bourbon Chicken" marinade. It is wonderful in jerky or cooked in the oven or on the grill. (I've done the oven and dehydrator both today.)

The safety issue is a concern and honestly I ususally heed directions but I started doing this at least 20 years ago, before they said you shouldn't. I may have just been lucky up til now but I will still do it. I like chicken and turkey jerky more than beef.

QueenBacon 05-17-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mslaster (Post 11974597)
do you think ground turkey will work?

my dehydrator came with instructions that you can use poultry BUT that after the jerkey is dry to put it in the oven for a while after its done..

metqa 05-17-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleochatra (Post 11974619)

Oops and I just bought ground turkey. . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by OurLuvsFromAbove (Post 11980686)
my dehydrator came with instructions that you can use poultry BUT that after the jerkey is dry to put it in the oven for a while after its done..

Thanks Luvs! Did it say How long in the oven and how warm? Pretty Please with steak jerky on top!:aprayer:

Hmm, maybe I'll just make turkey burgers with it.

mslaster 05-17-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OurLuvsFromAbove (Post 11980686)

thank you....can u tell me how long to leave it in the oven for and the temp of the oven

jenna... 05-17-2009 03:10 PM

I've got an Excalibur Dehydrator. It's Dehydration Guide says:

Poultry Jerky: For something different, try cooked chicken or turkey jerky. For this kind of jerky, you can use the same cures as you would for meat. since poultry is very fibrous, expect your jerky to be somewhat more brittle than its beef counterpart. Dry at 155F/68C until dehydrated throughout (about 4 hours).

That's all it says about Poultry Jerky.

QueenBacon 05-18-2009 04:57 AM

when i get home from work today ill see how long and what temp to do it..

ChickenJr 05-20-2009 01:16 AM

Is it absolutely necessary to leave the oven open slightly? I have a 14 month old son and am imagining all sorts of horrible things happening if I tried to do that... Maybe I just need to invest in a dehydrator. But jerky sounds soo good right now, lol.

QueenBacon 05-20-2009 03:09 PM

ok I forgot to put the temp and time, im sorry so im posting today
this is quoted directly from my NESCO dehydrator book:
Quote:

Note: After drying poultry, pork or fresh game, heat them in your oven at 160F for 30 minutes to avoid the risk of salmonella

jenna... 06-01-2009 11:23 AM

I have some round roast Jerky dehydrating right now and about to make some ground beef jerky using Cleo's recipe with 3 tsp of ground pepper. Oh and I did find Laura's Ground Beef at my grocery store. Thanks Cleo!

Patience 04-12-2013 03:39 PM

I am bumping this thread as I get frustrated with the high carb count of most jerky in supermarkets. A food dehydrator has been on my wish list for some time . . . maybe it's time for action.

Charski 04-14-2013 10:08 AM

I love my dehydrator and made 5 pounds of ground beef jerky in it a couple weeks back. Man it's good.

Patience 04-14-2013 12:20 PM

What kind/brand of dehydrator do you use?
I was researching this a couple of years ago but have forgotten.

Patience 04-14-2013 12:21 PM

What kind/brand of dehydrator do you use?
I was researching this a couple of years ago but have forgotten.
Excalibur was one brand that I recall having good ratings.

Charski 04-14-2013 12:37 PM

That's the one I have, Bella - the 9 tray, no-timer version. I love it.

They have some refurbished ones on the website - they're not a LOT cheaper than a new one though.

cfine 04-14-2013 05:37 PM

How would I form the jerky if I don't have an extruder? I love jerky but refuse to buy the store bought kind. I can't wait to make this.