Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
How to tell when jerky is done?

I have some beef jerky in my dehydrator. It's been in there for 6 hours. It looks done, but how do I know when it's done inside? I ate a few of the thinner pieces just now and OMG that stuff is good!

I used the marinade recipe that Charski posted here. Thanks, Char!
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
It's done when it's the way YOU like it.

What I do is take a piece out and let it sit on the counter on a plate or paper towel for about 15 minutes, so it is no longer warm from the dehydrator, then - eat it! You'll know if it's done to your liking or not.

We like ours a little on the "not as dry as cardboard" side! To each her/his own though - do it til it's as done as you like it. It depends too on how thickly it's sliced.

Then I just shut of the dehydrator and let it all sit a good 30 minutes or so, til it's not warm any more, before bagging it - otherwise it will "sweat" and set it up to spoil.

Which it WILL still do, so I freeze about half of it, or heck you can freeze it ALL because it defrosts very quickly if you just take out a few pieces for snacking.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

!

Oh, thank you, Char!

The only other time I made jerky I used my oven. It got really dry, and I ended up throwing it away. This is perfect right now, so I will follow your directions. I like it chewy, too, and aiming for that, I cut the meat a bit thicker than 1/4 inch. I think you mentioned that when you posted the recipe for the marinade I used.

Gonna have to keep it in the freezer or I'll just sit here and eat it all today!
Old 04-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
LOL! Yeah, but honestly, it's kinda self-limiting because your jaw gets tired from all that chewing!

Hope it turned out great. We love that marinade.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:03 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

It did turn out great! That marinade is a real keeper, IMO!

I'll be making some more jerky this coming weekend. Gotta get another hunk of meat at the store when I shop on Friday.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
I made my first attempt last night with some London broil and flap meat. I think the London broil was pretty easy to judge but the flap meat (similar to skirt steak maybe?) is a bit harder to judge. I cut some against the grain but most I went with the grain for this cut because it sort of naturally breaks up that way. So the pieces are a bit thicker and seem a bit "squishy". I used the Excalibur on the 155 degree setting for about 5 or 6 hours. I guess I just want to make sure I'm not going to give myself food poisoning or give it to anyone else. Honestly I don't think this stuff will even make it through the day so I don't think it will spoil but I have it in the fridge just in case. I think I do prefer the slightly less dry jerky but want to make sure there are no safety concerns with that.

(Oh man this stuff is so good! I just used salt and pepper and some smoke and I cannot stop eating this stuff. Wow! Thanks to all -Charski especially- for encouraging all of us to get on the jerky wagon. This is just fabulous!)
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
Sharis... I'd put it in for a couple more hours. My gage is also that if the bag of jerky collects water or dampness ion the sides of the ziploc bag during the night then it needs a bit more drying. But then I like my jerky very done - not crunchy (... lol.. did that) but not too chewy.

btw... jerky is what turned me to VLCarb.

Last edited by jenna...; 07-04-2009 at 09:55 AM..
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna... View Post
Sharis... I'd put it in for a couple more hours. My gage is also that if the bag of jerky collects water or dampness ion the sides of the ziploc bag during the night then it needs a bit more drying. But then I like my jerky very done - not crunchy (... lol.. did that) but not too chewy.

btw... jerky is what turned me to VLCarb.
Thanks Jenna!!! There is definitely moisture in my bag so I will go ahead and stick some of the thicker pieces back in.

I keep going back and forth between VLC and raw food with meat (how weird is that??) and I'm just not sure what I want to do right now. I've been at about the same weight for a long time but keep making attempts to get my body to go a bit lower. I can lose 10-15 lbs but can't keep it off. The minute I eat over about 1000 calories I gain and there is no way I am living like that. So I keep trying to play with different combinations to see if I can find something that works that I can actually live with. I'm not stressing about it and am fine if I never lose another pound so I'm just trying to have fun with food right now and see where it takes me.

Oh and Jenna you are doing GREAT!! I love reading your posts. You inspire me to do my best so thanks for that.

Last edited by Minnas; 07-04-2009 at 10:25 AM..
Old 07-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Sharis!

I understand the 1000 calorie thing. Being over 50, the thyroid crappy and in menopause...I can't go too much over 1200 or weight loss stops.

Great Stats!!!

Last edited by jenna...; 07-04-2009 at 10:21 AM..
Old 07-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna... View Post
Thanks Sharis!

I understand the 1000 calorie thing. Being over 50, the thyroid crappy and in menopause...I can't go too much over 1200 or weight loss stops.

Great Stats!!!
Don't you hate that?? I just am not willing to live on that kind of calorie intake for too long. Maybe some day I will try the JUDDD thing? I dont' know. Just playing around with different ideas to find something livable. Knowing myself I think this is something I will have to play with forever since my food interests seem to change over time but that's o.k. Plus I do anticipate the next 10 years bringing some body changes that I will have to deal with (as you are now). Ugh. Well, as long as I can maintain I can live with whatever the road offers up to me.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the heck out of this jerky and can't wait to keep dehydrating stuff. Anything that's not nailed down is being dried in my house! My friend whispered into my cats ear that she should be very careful right now, lol!! Sick but funny.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharis View Post

Anyway, I'm enjoying the heck out of this jerky and can't wait to keep dehydrating stuff. Anything that's not nailed down is being dried in my house! My friend whispered into my cats ear that she should be very careful right now, lol!! Sick but funny.