Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   The best salmon patties I’ve ever made… (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/610918-best-salmon-patties-i-ve-ever-made.html)

The Chicken Lady 03-29-2009 03:57 PM

The best salmon patties I’ve ever made…

I made these for supper last night and DH says they are the best salmon patties I’ve ever made and he doesn’t do low carb. I have to agree with him they were really good.

1 can – drained – Wild Alaskan Sockeye Red Salmon (my favorite)
4 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Seasoned Salt
Pinch of Old Bay

Mix ingredients thoroughly…form patties…coat lightly in ground popcorn…fry.

Makes 4 large patties.

I’ll post pictures later…I live in a rural area and only have dial-up Internet access so it takes a bit of time to post a picture. I’ll have to wait until after supper when I have more time.

goheels 03-29-2009 04:24 PM

Note to myself.......get me some coconut flour;)

Kisal 03-29-2009 04:36 PM

Thank you for the recipe! I found a can of salmon in my cabinet a few days ago, and have been trying to decide what to do with it. I love salmon patties, but rarely make them.

Your recipe is so short and simple -- my favorite kind of recipe! :D -- that I definitely will make it soon. If I like them, it will surely become one of my staples! :cool:

Charski 03-29-2009 05:10 PM

What size is that can of salmon, CL?

Can't wait for pics!

The Chicken Lady 03-29-2009 07:30 PM

Here are the pictures...By the way, this is a double recipe

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/w...Patties001.jpg

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/w...Patties002.jpg

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/w...Patties003.jpg

fourstubbs 03-29-2009 07:47 PM

Chicken Lady, those look reeeaaalllyyy good! I have salmon in my cupboard, I will probably make them tomorrow! Thanks!!

PS do I grind the popcorn in a regular grinder? Coffee grinder?? TIA

AmyJuli 03-29-2009 07:48 PM

Does your canned salmon have bones in it? I bought some once and couldn't get past the spine in the can. :sick:

The Chicken Lady 03-30-2009 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 11763824)
What size is that can of salmon, CL?

Can't wait for pics!

14.75 ounces...:)

The Chicken Lady 03-30-2009 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourstubbs (Post 11764431)
Chicken Lady, those look reeeaaalllyyy good! I have salmon in my cupboard, I will probably make them tomorrow! Thanks!!

PS do I grind the popcorn in a regular grinder? Coffee grinder?? TIA

I have a grain mill that I grind mine in but yes I think you can use a coffee grinder to grind up small amounts of popcorn. I tried it in my coffee grinder and it worked but then I have had other people tell me that it tore their coffee grinder up. If you have a health food store near you...you could probably get some all natural, stone ground cornmeal that would be close to popcorn in carbs...you don't use much so I'm thinking that it wouldn't add enough carbs to worry about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyJuli (Post 11764434)
Does your canned salmon have bones in it? I bought some once and couldn't get past the spine in the can. :sick:

Yes...it does have the bones. I've never thought of them as gross...actually we used to pick them out and eat them when we were kids. Yum!!!

But then I love fish.

mac24312 03-30-2009 06:08 AM

I LOVE Salmon..looks great and easy...not many carbs either!!

TY
Christina

RealFoodLiving 03-30-2009 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyJuli (Post 11764434)

I dump the can of salmon into the food processor and whiz it all together. The bones are soft and mix in with the salmon meat. The bones are actually VERY good for you. Once they are whizzed up, you cannot tell there were ever bones in there.

chewiegand 03-30-2009 07:33 AM

Great, I have salmon patties on the menu for Wednesday. I'm going to try your recipe for them. :) Thanks

SnowWhite 03-30-2009 11:58 AM

:clap: Looks soooo good!

tea cup 03-30-2009 12:14 PM

Chicken Lady- What do you think of stone ground cornmeal for a light breading on the salmon patties? Is that the same thing as ground popcorn?

tea cup

jacksmixedtape 03-30-2009 12:37 PM

*jaw drops to floor*

Chicken Lady, I so wanna come over to your house for dinner! I'll bring dessert if you cook everything savory, LOL. Gosh those salmon patties look amazing!

Sweeteater 03-30-2009 01:13 PM

those look awesome! I love Salmon Patties! :)

The Chicken Lady 03-30-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tea cup (Post 11767217)
Chicken Lady- What do you think of stone ground cornmeal for a light breading on the salmon patties? Is that the same thing as ground popcorn?

tea cup

If it's real whole stone ground cornmeal then the carb count shouldn't be too high and it should work well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape (Post 11767344)
*jaw drops to floor*

Chicken Lady, I so wanna come over to your house for dinner! I'll bring dessert if you cook everything savory, LOL. Gosh those salmon patties look amazing!

Thank you...your too kind!!

It was actually your use of coconut flour is your baked goods that got me to thinking about using it in the salmon patties. So actually I have you to thank for this recipe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweeteater (Post 11767495)
those look awesome! I love Salmon Patties! :)

Thank you...they are one of my favorites as well.:)

SnowWhite 03-30-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady (Post 11764387)

what are the little white flecks? Looks like cornmeal :p :laugh:

The Chicken Lady 03-30-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowWhite (Post 11767752)
what are the little white flecks? Looks like cornmeal :p :laugh:

Ground popcorn...

SmileySue 03-30-2009 09:16 PM

I made these for dinner tonight.....:love::love: Thank you for sharing!!

fourstubbs 03-30-2009 09:24 PM

do you think i could get away with using egg beaters? I just used my last 4 eggs??? TIA

Barbo 03-30-2009 10:31 PM

Salmon Patties

My dear Chicken Lady,

Those patties are too good looking. I shall get me some red sockeye
salmon poste haste....YUM Thanks for sharing.

Dont'cha just love something simple and sooo good.
How about sweet potato fries (maintainance only) and
some greens with ham or bacon.

The Chicken Lady 03-31-2009 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmileySue (Post 11769253)
I made these for dinner tonight.....:love::love: Thank you for sharing!!

Glad you enjoyed it...I made a double batch so as to have leftovers. They stink up the kitchen when you reheat them but they are sooooo good I'll just open the window....:rolleyes: :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourstubbs (Post 11769270)
do you think i could get away with using egg beaters? I just used my last 4 eggs??? TIA

I think they would work just fine...just mix the coconut flour with the egg beaters until you have a consistency of fluffy mashed potatoes before you mix it in with the salmon. That way you will be sure that you have enough liquid and your salmon won't be too dry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 11769377)
My dear Chicken Lady,

Those patties are too good looking. I shall get me some red sockeye
salmon poste haste....YUM Thanks for sharing.

Dont'cha just love something simple and sooo good.
How about sweet potato fries (maintainance only) and
some greens with ham or bacon.

A small word of warning...the Alaskan Red Sockeye salmon is a wild caught salmon and has a much stronger taste than the canned pink salmon. I love fish and I prefer the stronger tasting fish...so if you are a fish lover as well I know you will really enjoy these patties.

Tweaker Geek 03-31-2009 08:17 AM

Ohhhhh, Chicken Lady - those look so good and I love salmon patties! I just looked in the pantry for a can but I don't have any - Darn :annoyed: I put it on my grocery list though so will be making these soon. I usually use my recipe for crab cakes for salmon patties but it has more ingredients so I like yours using fewer AND another use for coconut flour!

islegirl 03-31-2009 08:21 AM

I love salmon patties and these sound better than any I've ever made. Guess what we are having for supper!? Thanks you so much for sharing with us.:D

Sue.

Soobee 03-31-2009 01:08 PM

ChickenLady, I am having trouble finding the nutritional information on popcorn kernels. Do you have that information?

The Chicken Lady 03-31-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek (Post 11770445)
Ohhhhh, Chicken Lady - those look so good and I love salmon patties! I just looked in the pantry for a can but I don't have any - Darn :annoyed: I put it on my grocery list though so will be making these soon. I usually use my recipe for crab cakes for salmon patties but it has more ingredients so I like yours using fewer AND another use for coconut flour!

I agree...I have really enjoyed experimenting with the coconut flour. I think that down the road we are going to find a lot of great uses for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by islesgirl (Post 11770465)
I love salmon patties and these sound better than any I've ever made. Guess what we are having for supper!? Thanks you so much for sharing with us.:D

Sue.

Your welcome...let us know how your turned out. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 11771720)
ChickenLady, I am having trouble finding the nutritional information on popcorn kernels. Do you have that information?

Three tablespoons of popcorn kernels ground up makes 1/3 cup of meal. So 1/3 cup of popcorn meal has 20 carbs...but you won't use anywhere near 1/3 cup of meal to coat your patties.

The white popcorn has fewer carbs but when I was at the grocery store the yellow was all they had that day so that's what I got.

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/w...cornbag001.jpg

islegirl 03-31-2009 03:32 PM

Had the salmon patties for supper - YUMMY!

But something about the measurements was way off - I should have known. I used 4 eggs and I truly believe 1 would have been fine - maybe 2. The patties fell apart and I was in an awful rush, but the taste was just perfect and I will make these many more times! Perhaps it would have been better to mix them by hand also - not in the fp. Anyhow, next time they'll come out just fine I'm sure. Thank you again. My husband also thought they were just delicious!

Sue.:)

The Chicken Lady 03-31-2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islesgirl (Post 11772279)
But something about the measurements was way off - I should have known. I used 4 eggs and I truly believe 1 would have been fine - maybe 2. The patties fell apart and I was in an awful rush, but the taste was just perfect and I will make these many more times! Perhaps it would have been better to mix them by hand also - not in the fp. Anyhow, next time they'll come out just fine I'm sure. Thank you again. My husband also thought they were just delicious!

Sue.:)

Are you sure you used 1/4 cup of coconut flour? And did you drain your salmon? I didn't sift the coconut flour just scoop and shake...1/4 cup should have soaked up a lot of liquid. I always make a double batch so use 1/2 cup and 8 eggs.

The first time I made them I kept adding eggs directly to the coconut flour until I got a consistency of fluffy mashed potatoes...that way I would know for sure how many eggs to use. It took 8 eggs to get there...you might try that next time...and I did mix mine by hand.

AlliCat 04-01-2009 08:00 AM

What brand of coconut flour does everybody use? I was reading about the Aloha Nu brand at the netrition site. Apparently it was well loved but they've changed the formula. The last reviewer seemed most unhappy.

I really want to try these. They look so yummy!!