Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: romo20350
Stats: Goal: 10% BF
WOE: LC
Start Date: Janurary 10, 2009
Homemade "Zevia" for $1

If you are like me and need a fizzy beverage sometimes, you turn to diet drinks with aspartame. Well I've decided to cut out AS so now I can't have pop.
There is a stevia soda called Zevia but it's $1 a can which can add up.
Here's a little trick. Today at the store I bough a 2 liter bottle of raspberry flavored sparkling water. Just carbonated water and natural flavors. I think it was Canada Dry brand. When I got home I opened the bottle, poured about 1/4 cup out. Then I dissolved 1/2 tsp NuNaturals stevia in it and poured that into the bottle. Invert the bottle a few times, chill, and walla you have 2 liters of great tasting stevia soda for just a dollar.
This really tastes so good and I love it!

Last edited by romo20350; 03-28-2009 at 12:29 PM..
romo20350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Synesthetic
WOE: High Raw
Voila! Brilliant! I'm going to do this tonight. Good way to satisfy a soda craving!
Synesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Just wondering why you couldn't add the stevia directly to the bottle without pouring out 1/4 cup. Also, why mix the stevia with water rather than 2 tablespoons (or the whole 1/4 cup) of the carbonated water you removed unless that's the kind of water you mean?
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: romo20350
Stats: Goal: 10% BF
WOE: LC
Start Date: Janurary 10, 2009
Haha Linda idk what i was thinking about the water but I'm not sure the stevia would dissolve in the bottle without having to shake it and lose bubbles.
But either way...It's good.

Last edited by romo20350; 03-28-2009 at 12:29 PM..
romo20350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
GREAT idea! You can have whatever flavor you want that way!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Excellent idea!
I've recently been using 1 liter bottles of Seltzer Water (Western Family $0.89, INGREDIENTS: Carbonated Water) with LorAnn flavorings and a little Sucralose powder for 0 cal, 0 fat, 0 sodium, 0 carb, 0 protein Soda substitutes. I find them more satisfying than non carbonated flavored waters and can make them as strong and sweet as I like... ;-)
PS: I have finally found a use for all of those flavorings I purchased several years ago...Cotton Candy or Honey Soda anyone? lol!

Last edited by locarbman; 03-28-2009 at 08:48 PM..
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cyberus
WOE: Low carb (Type 2 Diabetic)
Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbman View Post
Excellent idea!
I've recently been using 1 liter bottles of Seltzer Water (Western Family $0.89, INGREDIENTS: Carbonated Water) with LorAnn flavorings and a little Sucralose powder for 0 cal, 0 fat, 0 sodium, 0 carb, 0 protein Soda substitutes. I find them more satisfying than non carbonated flavored waters and can make them as strong and sweet as I like... ;-)
PS: I have finally found a use for all of those flavorings I purchased several years ago...Cotton Candy or Honey Soda anyone? lol!
Do the LorAnn oils mix into carbonated water well?
How much does it take to flavor a 2 liter?

I've been thinking on how to flavor soda water at work for the summer but hate to invest in the oils if they don't play well with cold carbonated stuff.
cyberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:53 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I have never heard of the LorAnn oils, thanks. I can see where these would work in place of the SF syrups if you didn't need the extra liquid for moisture in things such as shakes etc. Probably a bit cheaper too.
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:27 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=black]cyberus - I have had no problem with my LorAnn oils mixing in carbonated water, guess you could use SF Koolaid as an alternative… ;-) I mix up my flavored soda at room temperature (as purchased from the store) remove the top, add drops of flavoring and liquid Sucralose (made from powder ;-), replace top and refrigerate.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]The flavored waters I have tried use just a hint of flavor and sweetener. I like mine a bit stronger…to taste...a matter of drops in my 1 liter bottle.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Vicki - You may find LorAnn info from Post #48 of this thread helpful [COLOR=#800080]http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/35300-liquid-stevia-2.html[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]“Hi, LorAnn pretty much leaves it up to your taste buds...they recommend a "few drops" in most recipes... ;-)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]From their site:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]‘More uses for LorAnn Flavoring Oils[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]· If your recipe calls for orange, lemon or lime zest, use a few drops of flavoring instead.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]· If you're making homemade jams and jellies, add a bit of LorAnn Flavoring Oil (Strawberry Flavor for strawberry jam, etc.) for a great flavor boost.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]· Try a few drops of Raspberry or Peach Flavoring in your iced tea.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]· Add a few drops of Orange Flavoring to your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]· Add 1/2 teaspoon of Pineapple Flavoring to any boxed white cake mix. While still warm, top with a glaze made with powdered sugar, milk and a few drops of Pineapple Flavoring for a delicious tropical treat.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]· Use a few drops in your recipe for homemade beer. Try pumpkin, apricot, raspberry or your favorite flavor!’ [/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Many of their flavorings use propylene glycol as a medium...just another name for [COLOR=#016798]glycerine[/COLOR].”[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Hope this helps ;-)[/COLOR]

Last edited by locarbman; 03-29-2009 at 07:53 AM..
Old 03-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Thanks for the link to a previous thread about this topic lowcarbman.
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romo20350 View Post
If you are like me and need a fizzy beverage sometimes, you turn to diet drinks with aspartame. Well I've decided to cut out AS so now I can't have pop.
romo, just thought I'd add that you can make your own SF soda's with ingredients and supplies from any local home brewing store...I made quite a lot 8 years ago before the beverage companies began making SF stuff. And, there are a number of good cola's without AS. I just purchased Diet Rite Pure Zero Cola at the grocery (sweetened with Splenda and Ace-K), 12 can packs for $4.99 or ~$0.41 per can...really like the stuff...stocking up for fishing season next month...just FYI ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 03-30-2009 at 06:21 PM..
Old 03-31-2009, 05:39 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbman View Post
I just purchased Diet Rite Pure Zero Cola at the grocery (sweetened with Splenda and Ace-K), 12 can packs for $4.99 or ~$0.41 per can...really like the stuff...stocking up for fishing season next month...just FYI ;-)
I can't believe how expensive soda has gotten these days. There's one store nearby where it's over $5.00 for a 12 pack. I refuse to pay more than about $3.00 per 12 pack and I think that's even too much for what you're getting. I suppose that what we're paying for are the cans and not the actual soda.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:58 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by romo20350 View Post
There is a stevia soda called Zevia but it's $1 a can which can add up.
Here's a little trick. Today at the store I bough a 2 liter bottle of raspberry flavored sparkling water. Just carbonated water and natural flavors. I think it was Canada Dry brand. When I got home I opened the bottle, poured about 1/4 cup out. Then I dissolved 1/2 tsp NuNaturals stevia in it and poured that into the bottle. Invert the bottle a few times, chill, and walla you have 2 liters of great tasting stevia soda for just a dollar.
This really tastes so good and I love it!
Excellent! I love the sparkling flavored water (but not sweetened) and this sounds even better! Great idea!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ceze
Stats: size: too big/smaller/just right
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Atkins-2002
We have made our own soda since I started low carbing. We used to be able to find a liter bottle of club soda for fifty cents. Now it runs closer to 70 cents. Wal-Mart often has the best price. We stock up when it is on sale.

In addition to stevia, we have added root beer extract (we like Shank's Brand the best), cranberry concentrate, unsweetened kool-aid powder and fresh lemon or lime juice. Some of those choices have more carbs than others but work for me when I am in maintenance or my husband who is thin but trying to eat healthy foods.

We take out some club soda and mix it in a glass then add it back slowly. If we do it in the bottle, it creates its own mini volcano and goes all over the counter.

We have served the root beer to guests and they didn't believe it was sugar-free.
Ceze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
Bumping for a cool idea. I have a major love for my Pepsi One. . .it's made with sucralose instead of Aspartame. I find I just can't tolerate the Aspartame, plus it's pretty suspect, IMO. This idea opens up a whole new world of "soda" flavors, though.

<sigh> Yet another recipe to add to the list of wonderful things to try!
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Interesting!
I had not heard of the LorAnn Flavoring Oils and just read about them on their site. LOTS of ideas now in my brain! Thank you.

I love that they have honey flavor. Now I can add that to my tea w/o any carbs.
Lots of soda ideas now.
Yeah!
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #17
Gadget Gal

DaisyHair, I got their Honey flavor and that's what it is - flavor, no sweet - so just be aware of that!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
DaisyHair, I got their Honey flavor and that's what it is - flavor, no sweet - so just be aware of that!
Thank you,
I wonder wouldn't it be good with a little stevia added to it, for tea?
What do you think?
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #19
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyHair View Post
Thank you,
I wonder wouldn't it be good with a little stevia added to it, for tea?
What do you think?
I've used mine up in baking so I can't test it for you, but it might be worth a try!
Old 02-15-2012, 03:00 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Harpmaker
WOE: Type 2 diabetic
This is kind of an old thread so I hope it's OK to continue it. I'm still new here.

I admit to being psychologically addicted to carbonated beverages. I love the slight burn I get in my throat from the carbonation. I drink non-carbonated diet drinks too (lemonade, iced tea), but they don't satisfy like those "tiny bubbles" do.

Early in my experimentation I tried adding powdered sweeteners to bottled seltzer water, and powdered cinnamon to bottled diet coke. Both resulted in volcanic eruptions where most of the soda was wasted. Even when I added the powdered ingredients VERY slowly, when I was done most of the carbonation was gone from the soda. I came to find that the reason was that carbon dioxide is literally dissolved in the water just like salt and sugar are dissolved, the difference is that ANY particulate material (powdered anything) will cause the CO2 to come out of suspension.

If you are adding any sweetener or flavoring to carbonated soda be sure to use a liquid form to retain as much carbonation as possible.

I am not associated with this company in any way, I just like their flavorings. None of their flavor concentrates contain caffeine, including their cola flavor (which I think tastes great!). I love adding their cherry flavorings to regular diet cola, and adding their cinnamon flavor to cola is simply amazing to my taste buds!

Prairie Moon is the company.
Harpmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:19 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
You might like a Soda Stream soda maker, it's a lot less expensive and the flavors are sweetened with Splenda. I love mine, several others on here also have one............ Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Harpmaker
WOE: Type 2 diabetic
Thanks for the reply Ann! I do have a SodaStream carbonator, and indeed it works well, but it can only carbonate special 1 liter bottles. It is also quite expensive for their CO2 cylinders compared to a regular standard CO2 bottle like you get from a welding supply. I intend on making my own carbonator later this year using such a bottle and will be able to carbonate regular 2 liter bottles directly.

If I calculated everything right I should be able to make my own soda to my own flavor (ever have Butter Rum soda?) and carbonation desires (I like it fizzy with a capital FIZZ) and still save ~30 cents per 2 liter bottle.
Harpmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
I've had success added a saccharin table to seltzer water. A bit of lemon juice in it makes a nice soda treat.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
I love making rootbeer with her oils.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote