Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Garbanzo Flour (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/610640-garbanzo-flour.html)

vli1127 03-27-2009 01:55 PM

Garbanzo Flour

I noticed that Bob's Mill has Garbanzo Flour and Garbanzo Fava Flour. The carb count is fairly low due to the fiber content. Has anyone used this type of flour, if so how?

jacksmixedtape 03-27-2009 02:15 PM

I just bought some to make pancakes for breakfast tomorrow! Will let you know how they turn out. :)

togee 03-27-2009 02:22 PM

Bought the Garbanzo and Fava Flour a while back.Used it to flour fish and to thicken gravy.I liked it,didnt notice any off flavors.Carb count is a big plus.

Tater Head 03-27-2009 03:33 PM

I hated it, it has a bitter after taste imo. maybe a dusting on fish it isn't as noticeable, but i tried baking something with it, yuck

Debbie...

retroworx 03-27-2009 07:29 PM

I've mostly see some Gluten-Free baked goods with Garbanzo in combo with other "flours", but here's a chocolate cake recipe that uses it exclusively. (I've not tried it, tho 86 other people have apparently and the reviews are pretty good)

Garbanzo Bean Chocolate Cake (Gluten Free!) - All Recipes

Obviously you will need to use low carb sugar subs. . . .

vli1127 03-28-2009 09:34 AM

Thanks for your input. I guess I can try it and see what happens. Retro, the cake looks yummy!

BikerAng 03-28-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tater Head (Post 11756718)
I hated it, it has a bitter after taste imo. maybe a dusting on fish it isn't as noticeable, but i tried baking something with it, yuck

Debbie...

Me too, I didn't like the taste of it at all. It was very bitter and had a VERY stong flavor (which I thought was odd because garbanzo beans aren't overly flavorful IMO). I only tried it in a muffin recipe and they were so bad I tossed the muffins and the flour.

LowCarbinChica 03-28-2009 09:46 AM

It's good to use instead of flour for fried things like fish, veggies, chicken. Just season the flour and use it as a light flour pre-frying for a crispy outside. :)

Tater Head 03-28-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retroworx (Post 11757447)
I've mostly see some Gluten-Free baked goods with Garbanzo in combo with other "flours", but here's a chocolate cake recipe that uses it exclusively. (I've not tried it, tho 86 other people have apparently and the reviews are pretty good)

Garbanzo Bean Chocolate Cake (Gluten Free!) - All Recipes

Obviously you will need to use low carb sugar subs. . . .

I did use it mixed with other flours and still :sick:

I think the can beans in this recipe would taste different then using the flour?

BikerAng 03-28-2009 11:14 AM

Yes, I think the whole beans used in the cake recipe would be very good (kind of like the black bean brownie thread posted by Charski). I tried the black bean brownies and they were tasty.

SnowWhite 03-28-2009 07:02 PM

Tastes like sawdust...or as my son says..a PUPPET! :laugh:

retroworx 03-28-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowWhite (Post 11760802)
Tastes like sawdust...or as my son says..a PUPPET! :laugh:

What have you been feeding that boy?! :laugh:

Jennifer Eloff 03-28-2009 08:56 PM

LOL Reminds me of the time I bought Hemp Seed Flour (fairly low-carb). It was green in color and I just couldn't get past that and the strange flavor. :laugh:

vli1127 03-29-2009 05:28 AM

OK, I think I am convinced. I am glad I did NOT purchase the stuff. Seems to me there are other alternatives out there obviously that I have already tried: soy flour, almond flour, coconut flour etc.

togee 03-30-2009 11:58 AM

Used it agan last night to dredge cube steaks.Added some sliced onion,fried and then used more of it to make gravy.Thickens nicely.I havent had any problem with taste but I've only used it as a helper and not in a recipe to replace flour.Think it has a place in the pantry for specific needs.Maybe in a savory muffin instead of a sweet treat. I have a recipe buried somewhere for a broccolli/sour cream stuffed muffin,topped with cheddar, that I'd like to convert sometime.If I find it I will post for some ideas.

SnowWhite 03-30-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retroworx (Post 11761082)
What have you been feeding that boy?! :laugh:

:laugh::eek::rofl:

uclangel422 03-30-2009 01:04 PM

I have used it before but not as much as my other flours.

I liked this: Bob's Red Mill
It is a skillet bread that I turned into a pizza.

togee 03-30-2009 01:11 PM

Thanks for the link.:cool: Will try this week.

SnowWhite 03-30-2009 01:48 PM

If you're on a south beach type plan. I've heard you can make hummus out of the stuff. There is probably a recipe for it at the Bob's Red Mill site (lotgs of recipes for all their products there).

jacksmixedtape 04-12-2009 08:14 PM

Okay, the pancakes were pretty bad. They were vegan and undercooked, though. Way too much flax meal as well. Baking low carb AND egg-free is tough!

Apparently the trick to using chickpea flour is cooking it all the way through, or roasting it before use. I roasted it in the oven before making a shortbread tart crust with it. Haven't baked it yet, but I will tonight and report back with the results. Not sure how it will work in the this sweet lemon tart. I'm thinking it might be better for savory quiches and the likes, but we'll see how the flavor comes through the vanilla extract and stevia.

It's so much cheaper than almond flour! Hoping it works out.

EssBee 04-13-2009 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by togee (Post 11767124)
Used it agan last night to dredge cube steaks.Added some sliced onion,fried and then used more of it to make gravy.Thickens nicely.I havent had any problem with taste but I've only used it as a helper and not in a recipe to replace flour.Think it has a place in the pantry for specific needs.Maybe in a savory muffin instead of a sweet treat. I have a recipe buried somewhere for a broccolli/sour cream stuffed muffin,topped with cheddar, that I'd like to convert sometime.If I find it I will post for some ideas.

If you ever unbury that muffin recipe, PLEASE post it :aprayer:. That sounds so good!

Ess

jacksmixedtape 04-13-2009 08:37 AM

The crust tasted really good, but I burned it! :doh: If I hadn't needed to cook the lemon tart filling it would've been great. The roasted chickpea flour tasted really good. Will try again since this stuff is so reasonably priced!

Lillianna 04-13-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BikerAng (Post 11758863)
Me too, I didn't like the taste of it at all. It was very bitter and had a VERY stong flavor (which I thought was odd because garbanzo beans aren't overly flavorful IMO). I only tried it in a muffin recipe and they were so bad I tossed the muffins and the flour.

Same here but I tried it in choc. chip cookies--yuck! They were disgusting. I don't know why the flavor is so strong. I used Bob's Red Mill brand.

togee 04-28-2009 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssBee (Post 11824905)
If you ever unbury that muffin recipe, PLEASE post it :aprayer:. That sounds so good!

Ess

Broccoli Stuffed Muffins

Combine and set aside:
1c. chopped broccoli,tuna,shrimp,or salmon with 1/4c. celery
1/2+c. shredded cheddar
1/3+c. sour cream
+ signs mean I like lots of filling so I add more cheese and sour cream:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Sift:
1 1/2 c. flour- I'm going to try it with the Garbanzo bean flour
2T.sugar
2t. baking powder
1/2t. salt
1/4t. thyme

Slightly beat together:
1 egg
3/4c. milk
1/3c oil

Make a well in center of dry ingred.Add egg mixture and stir til moistened.
Spoon into greased muffin pan.makes 12. I used to double the recipe and use the large tin.

Top each muffin with 1T (I used up to 3T per) of the broccoli mixture, pressing it slightly into the center of the batter.
I never tried the tuna,shrimp or salmon.We loved the broccoli.:heart::up:( I used fresh)

Bake at 325 for 20 min.
Serve warm. Store extras in fridge and reheat in microwave.
Enjoy

jacksmixedtape 04-28-2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillianna (Post 11827324)
Same here but I tried it in choc. chip cookies--yuck! They were disgusting. I don't know why the flavor is so strong. I used Bob's Red Mill brand.

You have to roast the flour first on a cookie sheet. Kind of a pain, but I just do that and bag it up for use later. :)

BikerAng 05-23-2009 12:40 PM

I'm not ready to completely give up on garbanzo bean flour, it's so inexpensive! I found this recipe that looks pretty good (I think roasting the flour is a great tip Lauren!). This is supposed to be kind of like a crepe or thin pancake. I'm going to try a couple of savory recipes and if I still don't like it then I can at least know I tried thoroughly to enjoy it! :)

SOCCA

12 SERVINGS

Ingredients

2 cups chickpea flour*
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups water
1/2 cup plus 9 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Preheat broiler. Combine flour, salt and cumin in blender. Gradually blend in 2 cups water and 1/2 cup oil. Blend until very smooth, about 1 minute.
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in 12-inch-diameter nonstick broilerproof skillet over high heat. Swirl carefully to coat. Pour 1 cup batter into skillet. Cook over high heat until golden brown on bottom, about 3 minutes. Transfer skillet to broiler and cook until pancake is brown and crisp around edges, watching closely, about 2 minutes. Slide pancake out onto baking sheet; keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining oil and batter in 2 more batches. Using large spoon, cut pancakes into irregular pieces and divide among plates. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
*Available at Middle Eastern and some natural foods stores.

togee 05-23-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BikerAng (Post 12008387)
I'm not ready to completely give up on garbanzo bean flour, it's so inexpensive! I found this recipe that looks pretty good (I think roasting the flour is a great tip Lauren!). This is supposed to be kind of like a crepe or thin pancake. I'm going to try a couple of savory recipes and if I still don't like it then I can at least know I tried thoroughly to enjoy it! :)

SOCCA

12 SERVINGS

Ingredients

2 cups chickpea flour*
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups water
1/2 cup plus 9 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Preheat broiler. Combine flour, salt and cumin in blender. Gradually blend in 2 cups water and 1/2 cup oil. Blend until very smooth, about 1 minute.
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in 12-inch-diameter nonstick broilerproof skillet over high heat. Swirl carefully to coat. Pour 1 cup batter into skillet. Cook over high heat until golden brown on bottom, about 3 minutes. Transfer skillet to broiler and cook until pancake is brown and crisp around edges, watching closely, about 2 minutes. Slide pancake out onto baking sheet; keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining oil and batter in 2 more batches. Using large spoon, cut pancakes into irregular pieces and divide among plates. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
*Available at Middle Eastern and some natural foods stores.

HMM.As a scoop for hummus or artichoke dip.Maybe pizza or burrito roll up or taco pie.Let us know if texture is soft or crispy like a cracker.This has possibilities.Thanks for the recipe.:up:

whereami 05-24-2009 01:16 AM

do you know what the carb count is per cup?

pendragginp 05-24-2009 12:34 PM

It says 18 total per 1/4 cup, minus 5 for fiber (if you do that), so 13 net per 1/4 cup. That makes it 52 net per cup.

How does roasting it change the flavor, exactly? Does it lessen the bitterness? Mellow out the flavor?

vli1127 05-24-2009 12:42 PM

Thanks for the recipe Ang.