Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 09:47 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
It says 18 total per 1/4 cup, minus 5 for fiber (if you do that), so 13 net per 1/4 cup. That makes it 52 net per cup.

How does roasting it change the flavor, exactly? Does it lessen the bitterness? Mellow out the flavor?
It takes away that metallic taste. The cookies still didn't turn out all that great, though. Too crumbly without any sugar to bind them. :/ I ended up tossing the bag.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: togee
WOE: Adkins
Start Date: May 10th, 2008
Made broccoli cheese soup today and the Garbanzo flour thickened it nicely. Fried some onion and garlic in butter 1st then added G flour and browned it.
togee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I just made soccas and they are actually very good! I used this recipe instead of the first one I posted. They stuck to the pan terribly, next time I'm going to made them using my pizza pan and parchment. The thinner one I made is like a cracker, the thicker one is more bready. I used cumin as a seasoning in this batch and didn't add onion. I'll be making these again for sure!

1 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
2 tbsp. olive oil (I used rice bran oil)
1/2 diced onion
freshly ground pepper
Additional olive oil

For South American flavor:
1 tsp marjoram or oregano
1/2 tsp cumin seed

For Mediterranean flavor:
minced fresh rosemary (needles from 1 stick)

Directions
Heat cast iron pan in oven set to 450 degrees.
Mix bean flour with salt, whisk in warm water and olive oil. Let the
batter sit for at least 30 minutes, then add diced
onion, freshly ground pepper to taste and seasonings (minced rosemary OR marjoram and cumin ETC). Whisk one more time.
Dribble a small amount of olive oil in hot cast iron pan and spread
around to cover using basting brush. Pour about half the batter in
pan. Swirl the pan so the “Crepe” covers the entire surface of the
pan. Make sure it’s not too thick- the thinner the better! Place cast
iron pan back in oven for 12-15 minutes and edges are crisp but not
burnt.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Here's a pic of the pesto socca I made today. I really am enjoying these a lot. I didn't roast the flour and for some reason these don't have that bitter funky flavor that I remembered not liking about the garbanzo bean flour (maybe it because the batter rests for a 1/2 hour?). The recipe using 1 cup garbanzo bean flour makes 2 large soccas. Now that it's warmer out and I can get fresh produce inexpensively from local farmer's markets, I've been eating a lot more veggie dishes. DH and I had ˝ of this for lunch w/ a salad. They are surprisingly filling and DH really likes them too.

Tomato, Mozzarella, Pesto Socca

1 socca
1/2 cup basil pesto
1 fresh mozzarella cheese ball, sliced
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped

I baked the socca in a 450 degree oven on parchment, it didn't stick and turned out well. If you have a silpat it would probably even work better. You can also try the pan method, but mine stuck terribly (even with a preheated pan).

Spread pesto over top of cooked socca and add cheese. Bake until cheese is melted. Add chopped tomatoes. Cut into wedges and eat.

These are kind of crispy yet soft and a tad crumbly at the same time. If it's a bit on the flimsy side, just fold over and eat like a taco/wrap or eat with fork.

Easy pesto recipe:

Fresh Basil Pesto

Ingredients

2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Special equipment needed: A food processor

Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.) Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.

Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Makes 1 cup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0011.jpg (73.5 KB, 62 views)
Old 05-28-2009, 05:05 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: togee
WOE: Adkins
Start Date: May 10th, 2008
BikerAng ,you've been busy.Thanks for these recipes.I will be trying one this weekend.Your picture looks delicious.Looks like the size of a small pizza.Thanks
togee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tamari
WOE: no guilt allowed
Quote:
Originally Posted by togee View Post
Made broccoli cheese soup today and the Garbanzo flour thickened it nicely. Fried some onion and garlic in butter 1st then added G flour and browned it.
I'm going to have to pick up some garbanzo flour - I've been looking for something inexpensive to use as a thickener. Thanks for the heads up!
tamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:38 AM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Ang, that looks yummy.
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks! These are really good, I cut the other socca into chip sized pieces and roasted until crispy. They make a great dipper, I used them to eat guacamole.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Ok, I'm really enjoying this flour! Here is another recipe that looks really good, I may try it today. I'd omit the rice flour.

Besan (Gram Flour) Puda (Dosa)

** recipe courtesy of manjulaskitchen DOT com (you can watch youtube instructions there).

Basen puda is a great dish to serve for breakfast or a light lunch. This recipe is quick to prepare and can be served many different ways.

Makes 5 pudas.

Ingredients:

1 cup besan (gram flour - garbanzo flour)
1/4 cup rice flour (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1 teaspoon chopped green chilies
1 cup shredded zucchini (Italian squash)
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (green coriander)
About 6 tablespoons of oil to cook

Method:

Shred the zucchini with the skin and keep aside.
Mix the dry ingredients together In a bowl, besan (gram flour), rice flour which helps for the crispness, salt, and cumin seeds.
Add the water slowly to make a smooth batter batter should be consistency of pancake batter or Dosa batter.
Next add the chopped green chilies, chopped cilantro (green coriander) and shredded zucchini. Mix well.
Use a non-stick skillet and place on medium-high heat. To check if the skillet is ready, put a few drops of water on it. If the water sizzles right away, the skillet is ready.
Next pour about 1/2 cup of the mixture on the skillet and spread evenly with a back of spoon. Starting from the center, spread in circular motion outwards until it is evenly spread about 7 inch circles.
When batter start drying. Put 1 teaspoon of oil and spread over gently, using a flat spatula. Lift the puda from one side using a flat spatula (A flat spatula makes it easy to flip the puda). Flip the puda when it turns golden-brown.
Next, press the puda lightly with the spatula all around so the puda cooks evenly. The puda should be golden brown on both sides to ensure it is crispy.
Tips:

Spresd the batter quick, otherwise batter start drying and cannot be spread.

Serving Suggestions:

You can serve the puda with yogurt, chutney, spicy pickles, or ketchup.
You can also fold the puda with shredded cheddar cheese, sliced tomatoes, or roasted vegetables.
Variations

Zucchini can be replaced with finely chopped spinach, shredded potatoes, or very finely shredded cabbage.
If you make the puda without vegetables, do not use rice flour. This will cause the pudas to be very dry.
If you don’t have cilantro, you may replace with ground coriander powder. If you don’t have green chilies, you may replace with red chilly powder or flakes.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

Ang and Lauren, you guys have convinced me to give this flour a try. Even though I posted this originally in March, it has taken me this long to decide LOL. (<<<<<<<<<<<<<not one for quick decisions HA)

Anyways, Lauren or Ang, what temp. and length of time did you roast the flour??? And, did you use a jelly roll pan or a 9x13? Thanks for the info.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:50 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki, for the soccas I didn't pre-roast the flour and I used parchment on a pizza pan so they wouldn't stick. I tried this flour years ago and didn't care for it at all, but it was in a dessert recipe. I haven't tried any other recipes yet, but I really liked the soccas.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

In Italy, they serve something called a farniata. It's kind of like a socca but a little thicker. I may have to try this too! Here's a recipe:

Farinata Recipe - Michela Larson | Food & Wine
Old 06-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #43
Blabbermouth!!!

Any suggestions on what to use in place of the cast iron skillet mentioned in the farniata recipe? I don't have a cast iron skillet. Could I do the parchment paper thing again?
Old 06-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Do you have an oven proof 10" skillet? I'm not sure if cast iron keeps the farinata from sticking (because it has been seasoned). When I tried the socca in my 10" skillet it stuck terribly. I might 1/2 that recipe and try it in a 10" glass pie pan with a circle of parchment.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zomzom
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
... manjulaskitchen DOT com (you can watch youtube instructions there)...
manjula is awesome - love her instructional videos
zomzom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:40 AM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

I would still like to know how to toast the flour, thanks.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

I think JMT just spreads the flour on a rimmed cookie sheet and roasts until browned (probably at 350 degrees I'd guess). I'd just keep a close eye on it.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #48
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclangel422 View Post
I have used it before but not as much as my other flours.

I liked this: Bob's Red Mill
It is a skillet bread that I turned into a pizza.
I tried this recipe but added garlic and onion powder, a few shakes of each, and some Italian Seasoning. My son and I liked it.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Have any of you experimented more with this flour? I bought a bag today and was hoping to find more uses for it. I also found this recipe posted here back in 2006.....Has anyone ever made it?

4 cheese garbonzo bread
Phase: 1
Preheat Oven: 350

1 cup garbonzo bean flour
1/2 cup lowfat or ff cottage cheese
2 tbsp grated parmesan
2 tbsp lite/ff cream cheese
1 egg
2 oz of shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup of skim milk
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbsp splenda
1/4 cup milk powder
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp of water (if needed)
4 tsp baking powder

Put all into a food processor and blend well until all ingredients are well combined. Only use the water if the dough is a little tough. Preheat oven to 350, spray a 6 X 3 loaf pan with non stick spray.

Put batter into pan.

Spray tips of your fingers with nonstick spray and use them to flatten the bread dough.

Place on a baking sheet and then into the oven. Bake for 40-50 minutes, until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Let cool.... Makes 4 servings, you can slice thinly into 8 or 12 pieces or thickly into 4 pieces, it is so good toasted and with bruschetta on it..
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Haven't made this but it looks and sounds good:

Zucchini and Chickpea Pancakes

Makes 2 large pancakes, which make 2 main dish servings or 4 appetizer/side dish servings

* 3 medium zucchini, or about 4 cups shredded
* 2 zucchini flowers (optional; adds a bit of color)
* Some coriander or basil leaves (optional: adds flavor)
* 1 cup chickpea flour
* 1 tsp. salt
* 1 tsp. garam masala
* 1/2 tsp. hot red chili powder
* 1/2 tsp. curry powder
* Olive oil for cooking

Equipment needed: a non-stick frying pan

Finely shred the zucchini - I use a food processor for this. Julienne the zucchini flowers and the herbs. Put all into a large bowl; add the salt, spices and the chickpea flour. Mix well - the moisture that comes out of the zucchini may be enough to turn this into a batter, but if not add a tiny bit of water, just so that it turns moist but not runny.

Heat up a small (8 inch / 20cm) non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add some olive oil and spread around. Put in about half of the batter and spread around to form a circle. Cook for about 5 minutes, then turn and cook for another 5 minutes or so, until it’s cooked all the way through. (You can slice into the middle a bit to see if there’s any batter oozing still; if so, cook a bit more.) Repeat for the other half of the batter.

Cut into wedges, and serve hot or at room temperature.

Note: If you want a crispy outside, use more oil in the pan; if you want it soft (and less caloric) add less. You can use ghee or butter instead of the olive oil.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Salmon tikka
Buy the thickest fillets you can find, preferably at least one inch thick. Serves 8.

Pinch of saffron threads
1 Tbsp milk (I use skim milk)
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp garlic puree*
1 Tbsp ginger puree*
1 tsp kosher salt, or more to taste
1/2 tsp sugar (or equivalent sugar substitute)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp ground chile powder (mild or hot, to taste)
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground fennel seed
2 tsp chickpea flour
1-3/4 lb salmon fillets, skinned and cut into 2-inch cubes
2 Tbsp olive oil
Lemon wedges, for serving

Place the saffron and milk in a small glass measuring cup, and microwave for 30 seconds. Set aside to allow the saffron to steep.

*You can buy ginger and garlic purees (I buy garlic puree at Trader Joe's), or make your own; toss a head of garlic cloves (peeled) into a food processor with a few tablespoons of olive oil, and process to a paste-like consistency. Store ginger and garlic purees in the refrigerator for a week or two.

Put yogurt, garlic and ginger purees, salt, sugar, lemon juice, chile powder, garam masala, fennel seed and chickpea flour in a large bowl, and whisk to combine. Add the fish, and toss very gently to coat the fish. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Return the fish to room temperature before cooking.

Preheat the broiler. Place the oven rack 8 inches or more below the broiler. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil, and coat the pan with the olive oil. Arrange the fish pieces with a bit of space between each piece. Broil for 3-4 minutes on one side, until the fish starts to brown. Turn each piece and cook an additional 3 minutes.

If you're cooking on a grill or stovetop griddle, heat to high, then brush the grill with oil. Cook the chunks of salmon for 3-4 minutes on the first side, until the fish starts to brown; then turn the fish, and cook for 3 minutes on the second side.

Serve as part of an Indian meal, with rice.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

I made a garbanzo bread and I couldn't eat it, it had such a strong almost bitter taste to it. I'm definitely interested in your results if you try these recipes though, they look great! This flour is tricky to work with because it has such a stong taste to it.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #53
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...pea-flour.html Which is also called Garbanzo flour.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #54
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mrtwilight23
WOE: no fake food
I make pizzas with the chickpea flour - they're especially good on a charcoal grill, using a cast iron skillet.
One thing to note about chickpeas/garbanzo beans - they do have carbs but they do not effect your glycemic load at all. Zero impact.
mrtwilight23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Can you post your pizza crust recipe?
I'm a big fan of grilling the pizzas too.
TIA
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phos4us
Stats: I'm trying to give up the scale! 5'11"/41 yrs
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: May 25, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
LOL Reminds me of the time I bought Hemp Seed Flour (fairly low-carb). It was green in color and I just couldn't get past that and the strange flavor.
OMG I still have a whole canister of the stuff and don't know what to do with it. I LOVE the shelled hemp seeds and I thought it was those ground up ... HA ... nothing like them!
Phos4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Laurie Conti
Hi all... new to the site but thought I'd chime in on this thread.

Garbanzo bean flour when it's toasted/roasted is so much different than raw garbanzo bean flour. The taste changes greatly.

I was shuffling around this morning, still half asleep and tried to remember (should have known better) a recipe that I'd read about for cookies. The accidental result was the most amazing spread. (Cookies, not so much!!!)

I cooked garbanzo bean flour in ghee- which is clarified butter (like making a roux) then added some cardamom spice... I cooked it til the flour was browned. Then added splenda (use the sweetener of your choice) Basically, it was the consistancy of peanut butter.

I spread this on some toasted gluten free bread... and OH MY--- it was delicious. It's going to be a replacement for peanut butter at my house.

The best deal I've gotten on the chickpea/garbanzo flour was at a local indian store (India, not native american)

I love making chickpea fritata, (8.8 oz chickpea flour, 3 T olive oil, 750 ml water and 2 t salt. Add pre cooked veggies- spinach is my favorite and/or cheese if you like-- adding an egg makes it quiche-like.) Heat cast iron skillet in 500 degree oven, oil with olive oil, pour in batter-- reduce heat to 400, cook until firm in center and golden brown) If you cook it in a cast iron skillet, it makes it's own sort of crust.

I'm going to continue experimenting with chickpea flour-- don't write it off too soon!
Laurie Conti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
welcome to the forum!!
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: oldionus
Stats: 221/170/170
WOE: Common sense carb reduction, avoid starch & sugar
Start Date: May 23, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie Conti View Post
Hi all... new to the site but thought I'd chime in on this thread.

Garbanzo bean flour when it's toasted/roasted is so much different than raw garbanzo bean flour. The taste changes greatly.

I was shuffling around this morning, still half asleep and tried to remember (should have known better) a recipe that I'd read about for cookies. The accidental result was the most amazing spread. (Cookies, not so much!!!)

I cooked garbanzo bean flour in ghee- which is clarified butter (like making a roux) then added some cardamom spice... I cooked it til the flour was browned. Then added splenda (use the sweetener of your choice) Basically, it was the consistancy of peanut butter.

I spread this on some toasted gluten free bread... and OH MY--- it was delicious. It's going to be a replacement for peanut butter at my house.

The best deal I've gotten on the chickpea/garbanzo flour was at a local indian store (India, not native american)

I love making chickpea fritata, (8.8 oz chickpea flour, 3 T olive oil, 750 ml water and 2 t salt. Add pre cooked veggies- spinach is my favorite and/or cheese if you like-- adding an egg makes it quiche-like.) Heat cast iron skillet in 500 degree oven, oil with olive oil, pour in batter-- reduce heat to 400, cook until firm in center and golden brown) If you cook it in a cast iron skillet, it makes it's own sort of crust.

I'm going to continue experimenting with chickpea flour-- don't write it off too soon!
I too buy besan (chickpea or garbanzo) flour at a (Halal) Indian grocery. It actually comes from Saskatchewan, but anyway:

I find besan makes wonderful pancakes. Just substitute for flour.

1 egg, beaten with 3/4 cup half and half
3/4 cup besan
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tbs. canola oil or lard
Blend to slightly lumpy with spoon

I don't bother with any kind of syrup, but you can use fake maple with splenda or whatever in it if you like that.
oldionus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:21 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Bumping this because I found a bag of this flour in my pantry and want to try some of these recipes.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote