Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: libbysmom
Stats: 226/217/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 1/25/09
I am crazy about Jenn'scrackers!

I made a double batch if the golden flax version and made the following tweaks:

No splenda
1/8 tsp garlic powder (I'll use more next time)
1/4 C. seasame seeds

I rolled out the dough in four batches and got them very thin. Then I sprinkled the rolled out dough with seasame seeds and lightly pressed them in before making the cuts.

I ended up with 348+ 1 inch +/- crispy, cruncy snack crackers @ 0.124g/cracker. I may need to make them a tad thicker next time, if I am going to use them for dips, etc. But, I love eating them just by themselves. I figure 40 is less than 5 carbs.

Thanks a million times again Jennifer!
libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Wow, that's a lot of crackers! I wouldn't even feel guilty eating those!

I'm not as good at rolling out dough, so I probably should not even attempt that amazing feat!

I really like Angie's idea too. I used coconut oil in my last batch of crackers and even although they are not as hard, I kinda like them like that (very rich tasting and coconut oil speeds metabolism they say - Angie uses palm oil and will have to try that one day when I can get some). I especially like them with my healthy butter and a slice of Monterey Jack cheese on it. Course, I never stop to think, that I've now just substantially increased the calories, etc.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Does the dough not stick at all to the plastic wrap? I loved the almond thins, but the reason I never made them is that the dough stuck to the parchment paper and every "tip" I read about rolling it out didn't work for me. It was so hard to get the dough to stay down! Unless this dough is much less sticky, I don't see how I would manage to get it to not stick to the plastic wrap either.
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: libbysmom
Stats: 226/217/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 1/25/09
The dough does not stick to the plastic wrap at all and I roll them paper thin.
libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
Does the dough not stick at all to the plastic wrap? I loved the almond thins, but the reason I never made them is that the dough stuck to the parchment paper and every "tip" I read about rolling it out didn't work for me. It was so hard to get the dough to stay down! Unless this dough is much less sticky, I don't see how I would manage to get it to not stick to the plastic wrap either.
LindaSue had a great tip about forming almond thins. Cut a small piece of plastic wrap ( maybe 4x4 ), put a small glob of dough on parchment, cover a glob with the wrap and press down with the bottom of a baking powder can. Move the plastic (don't leave on cracker ) Works really well for the almond thins and should work with these.
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I agree with Leigh, thanks though, jlatislaw - I would imagine Linda was using that clever method to make individual round-shaped almond thins?

Nevertheless, I've had no problem with the dough sticking to the plastic wrap. I line a cookie sheet with foil (probably could use parchment paper), spray with nonstick cooking spray and then place the dough here and there and everywhere on the foil. Take a piece of plastic wrap and place over dough in one area and begin rolling. I have a neat rolling pin that is just for rolling dough in, say, pie plates or on a pizza pan (2 sided rolling pin), but failing that use something small, heavy and cylindrical (even a food can) and roll out. Keep moving the plastic as needed to other parts of the pan with unrolled dough, until all the dough is evenly rolled out to the edges. If necessary, steal a little dough from one area to place on another area where it is a bit thinner. Then score the crackers right through to touching the foil. I usually do 9 x 6 = 54 crackers. Bake 10 minutes, remove any that are very brown and bake another 20 minutes, or until nicely golden brown. As they cool, they become even more crisp. I like them with butter and cheese, rather than plain - or served with some kind of dip or spread.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:15 AM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Another ingredient to add to the crackers - Coconut oil

I tried the cracker recipe with 2 tbsp melted coconut oil (for the rich taste and especially for the metabolism boost it is supposed to give) and kept the three egg whites, slightly fork beaten. The dough was a little more moist, but still rolled out easily over the foil sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and under a piece of plastic wrap. I baked them the full 20 minutes and yet some (did not hear the oven bell). When I took them out they were very golden and crispy. I stored them in an old cookie tin with a tight-fitting lid. This morning they are still crispy and quite rich-tasting. They only needed a little of my Healthy Butter and I didn't even bother with cheese. Yummy! These crackers are a staple for me these days, so I was just experimenting yesterday with this variation.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: threas
Stats: 5'6"~243/226/170-160
WOE: LOW CARB
Start Date: FEB.6th,2009
Jennifer, thanks for the great recipes! I just got a $100 order from netrition. Of course, I got no oat flour. I might try replacing with different flours. Nice to see you here!

Quote:
From what I have read (I can never find this stuff when I want to show it to someone else) oats are gluten free, however, the large commercial milling operations use the same equipment as for wheat flour. So if you are sufficiently gluten-sensitive, you get a bag from shortly after the switchover and it triggers a celiac incident. You get a bag late in the oats run and you may be ok with it. Sort of a game of nutrition/allergy Russian Roulette.

So "certified gluten-free oats" are essentially "certified not cross-contaminated".
Wow Faia! Good to be informed!
threas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Theresa - you are so pretty by the way! Wow!

I have also tried these crackers in my soups and they work great - they don't turn soggy so fast (like commercial crackers), and therefore make a really fine addition to soups. In fact, since I eat my soup fairly quickly, I didn't notice them go soggy at all.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:29 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: threas
Stats: 5'6"~243/226/170-160
WOE: LOW CARB
Start Date: FEB.6th,2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Thanks, Theresa - you are so pretty by the way! Wow!
[COLOR="Purple"] Awww, Thank you. It's just a really good photo! You are beautiful and so nice too! Congrats on your weight loss! Thank you for making this WOE so great!

Quote:
I have also tried these crackers in my soups and they work great - they don't turn soggy so fast (like commercial crackers), and therefore make a really fine addition to soups. In fact, since I eat my soup fairly quickly, I didn't notice them go soggy at all.
Mmmm, crackers in soup! Great idea![/COLOR]
threas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You are modest, but you are gorgeous in that photo. Thanks for your kind words. I'm so happy when someone says that they like my recipes and that it helps them on their WOE. That is the best feeling of all!!
Old 04-26-2009, 06:28 AM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Warning!

I just want to warn people again. These crackers can be very crunchy sometimes (especially if one bakes them real hard - i.e. until very golden) - if one uses 2 egg whites, they will be less so. If one can spread the crackers over maybe 1 and a 1/2 cookie sheets (if using 3 egg whites) and make thinner crackers, then they would be less hard. I am concerned that someone hurts a weak tooth if they are not careful. They are that crunchy and robust! Please be careful. Thanks. These are super crackers, but I think one has to be careful and judge how best to make them for yourself.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
can i replace the flax in the recipe with anything else? thanks
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Alternatives for flax meal

Alternatives for flax meal Bella, besides the coconut flour as in the first recipe, you could use ground sesame or sunflower seeds, ground almonds, ground walnuts, carbalose flour, oat bran or oat flour - lots of alternatives! Have fun with the recipe.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
thanks!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:56 AM   #76
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlatislaw View Post
LindaSue had a great tip about forming almond thins. Cut a small piece of plastic wrap ( maybe 4x4 ), put a small glob of dough on parchment, cover a glob with the wrap and press down with the bottom of a baking powder can. Move the plastic (don't leave on cracker ) Works really well for the almond thins and should work with these.
Quote:
I agree with Leigh, thanks though, jlatislaw - I would imagine Linda was using that clever method to make individual round-shaped almond thins?
Yes, this is how I always make my crackers. Just drop 1 inch balls of "dough" on parchment, cover with a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap and press each ball with a flat bottomed glass. I get perfect round crackers every time and it is so much easier for me than rolling out the dough as I can never get it even. Seems faster too!

I still havent made these yet but we are having a big party this weekend so I may make a batch this weekend. I cant wait as I am a huge fan of the almond thins. Im sure I am going to love these.

pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Method for making crackers

Pocahontas, your preferred method sounds good. You can certainly control the looks and the thickness more easily that way. This recipe will make a ton of crackers with that method. Let us know if you make them. I'm probably making them this weekend as well. I already have the bacon cheese spread ready.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PalmTreeGal
Stats: 181/123/115 @ 5'2
WOE: LC eclectic
Quote:

CRISP NUTTY CRACKERS
These crisp, robust, gluten-free crackers are suitable for butter and cheese, a medium for appetizers or useful for dips or spreads. Try them with Bacon Cheese Spread (super recipe), which I’ll post here shortly. These recipes are a spin-off of the beloved Almond Thins.

Coconutty Crackers (Neutral, nutty flavor and a light golden color – very robust and crunchy, and much nicer than commerical varieties, I think. I personally don’t notice a coconut flavor, but rather more of a nutty flavor.)

1 3/4 cups almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup finely grated cheese (I used Monterey Jack)
1 tbsp oat flour
1/2 tsp No Salt, or salt
1/8 tsp white pepper
3 egg whites (from large eggs), fork-beaten

Preheat oven to 325°F. In large bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, grated cheese, oat flour, No Salt (or salt) and white pepper. Stir to combine. Stir in fork-beaten egg whites really well until evenly distributed. Line cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper and spray liberally with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle cracker dough over entire cookie sheet. Using a small piece of plastic wrap placed over a portion of the dough, roll out evenly with a small rolling pin designed for rolling dough in pie pans or on pizza pans (or use a small heavy, cylindrical object such as an unopened food can); repeat. It will be clear where the dough is thicker and where it is thinner. If necessary, rob dough from the thicker portions and place on thinner portions, until the dough is more or less evenly distributed and nice and smooth. Score through to foil with dinner knife into 9 x 6 divisions.

Bake in center of oven 20 minutes. Remove very golden crackers from the outer edges by cutting along the cut lines. There might only be a few. Place inside crackers around the edges of the cookie sheet. Bake a further 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow crackers to cool completely. As soon as they are cool, store in a cookie tin with lid, such as those Danish cookie tins of old. Our crackers remain crisp even in our humid climate. If they do become soft (from leaving uncovered for hours in a humid climate, for instance), bake again in 325°F oven 5 to 10 minutes.

Helpful Hints: I have a gas oven (Whirlpool) these days, so baking times could possibly vary with electrical ovens. Other hard cheeses besides Monterey Jack may be used.

Nutritional Analysis: 54 crackers, 1 cracker per serving
20.9 calories; 1.0 g protein; 1.7 g fat; 0.4 g carbs

Variation:
Wholewheaty Crackers:

(These have a stronger flavor as the flax meal flavor comes through. They look like wholewheat crackers.)

1 3/4 cups almond flour
1/4 cup flax meal (dark or golden)
1/4 cup grated cheese (any kind – Monterey Jack is good)
1 tbsp oat flour
1 Splenda packet (to take the edge off the flax taste)
1/2 tsp No Salt, or salt
1/8 tsp white pepper
2 egg whites (from large eggs), fork beaten

Follow directions as for the Coconutty Crackers.

Helpful Hints: These crackers are slightly thinner and a little less hard than the Coconutty ones. My eggs are large, but they sometimes almost look X-large to me, so keep that in mind. The dough for both batches of crackers should be nice and moist, but not super wet (if it is, add a little extra almond or oat flour). It needs to roll out with ease under the plastic wrap.

Nutritional Analysis: 54 crackers, 1 cracker per serving
22.0 calories; 1.0 g protein; 1.8 g fat; 0.4 g carbs
Are these carb counts total or net - ie do they include fiber?
PalmTreeGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Mandy - the values are for net carbs (fiber subtracted).
Old 06-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PalmTreeGal
Stats: 181/123/115 @ 5'2
WOE: LC eclectic
Thanks!
PalmTreeGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:56 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zudy
WOE: vlc
I hope this hasn't been answered but would this work with Hazelnut flour instead of almond flour?
zudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Zudy, I think they would work great with hazelnut flour. Let me know if you try it. Sounds so tasty!
Old 11-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jilligan
Stats: Goal = 155 ~ 5'10"
bump
Jilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:09 AM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mona
Stats: 380/311/175 46y.o. 5'10"
WOE: VSG 11/14/11 Moderate LC
Quote:
I should post the Bacon Cheese Spread recipe for you to take along to your party, Kathy. I'll check if I have a photo of it. I hope so. It is such a simple recipe. If you're going to the grocery store before I post and you're interested, pick up cream cheese, cheddar, green onions, garlic powder (or regular garlic is fine), dried parsley (optional) and bacon and mayonnaise. Your friends will beg you for the recipe and it is sooo simple and quick to assemble. It is served warm and melty (microwave is fine, but oven would be better) with the crackers. Awesome!
This dip is to DIE for. People will be licking out the bowl. LOL.

I can't wait to try these crackers. Thanks for posting your yummy recipes, Jennifer!
Mona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
subcribing
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:13 PM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're welcome, Mona. These crackers can be so strong (I keep mine in a cookie tin and they stay hard for a long time, even in our humid climate), that I worry people will hurt their teeth - it's probably better to spread the dough out on a large cookie sheet - i.e. make them thinner - carbs will be less then too, of course. Somebody on this thread did something like that.

P.S. I just read on this screen that I had tried them with coconut oil and they were less hard - that might be the way to go.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 11-05-2009 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: P.S.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
I made the Coconutty ones today--thanks for a great recipe! I used a tbs of spelt flour since I didn't have oat flour. I used 9 tbs of eggbeaters egg white since I had an open container. Also, I used a silpat liner for baking. Someone else in the thread mentioned not rolling out the dough and that appealed to me today, so I just plopped out a couple dozen half-tsp size blobs on top of the silpat, squished down with the bottom of a glass over some plastic wrap, and got three trays (6 doz) of really nice round crackers. I made them quite thin so hardness is not a problem, but they are still nice and crunchy. I did not notice a coconut flavor. My DH really likes them! (So do I lol)
penguinpower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jilligan
Stats: Goal = 155 ~ 5'10"
Bumping for Thanksgiving
Jilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you, Jill. I recently made the Bacon Cheese Spread and the crackers again for a party on the weekend. The crackers were for me. I used regular crackers for our company. This time instead of green onions in the dip, I used 1 medium-sized, canned jalapeno (seeds as well) finely chopped. Interesting change with a mild bite.

I used two tablespoons of coconut oil in the crackers (with coconut flour), but I had to bake them a little longer. I removed the ones around the edges that were browning and then baked the center ones until they were brown as well. As soon as they were cool, I put them in the cookie tin. That keeps them nice and crisp for a long time. I still have some. They are, however, not as hard as the ones made without oil. One could any light-tasting oil.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona View Post
This dip is to DIE for. People will be licking out the bowl. LOL.

I can't wait to try these crackers. Thanks for posting your yummy recipes, Jennifer!
I probably missed the dip recipe. Anybody have it?
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote