Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Charski! Great, I hope you and your hubby like them.

Kathy, here is the recipe (sorry I couldn't find the pic). This spread is incredible served with these crackers. Your contribution will be the talk of the party!

BACON CHEESE SPREAD
Your friends will beg you for this recipe!

8 oz light cream cheese, softened (250 g)
1/2 cup mayonnaise (125 mL)
11/2 cups Cheddar cheese (375 mL)
2 tbsp chopped chives, OR (25 mL)
green onions
1 tsp dried parsley (5 mL)
1/4 tsp garlic powder (1 mL)
8 crisply cooked bacon slices

In food processor with sharp blade or in blender, process cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. In medium bowl, combine cream cheese mixture, Cheddar cheese, chives or green onions, parsley and garlic powder until well combined. Spread evenly in 9-inch (23 cm) glass pie dish.

Place bacon on bacon rack and cover with two paper towels. Microwave on high power 7 to 8 minutes. Cut into small pieces with pair of kitchen scissors. Garnish top of cheese spread with bacon pieces. Bake in 350°F oven 15 minutes and serve with low-carb crackers.

Nutritional Analysis: 12 servings, 1 serving:
176.4 calories; 7.5 g protein; 15.7 g fat; 1.1 g carbs
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
These are going to be on my Easter Table GF!!

HUGS
Christina
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:01 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
I believe one can get certified gluten-free oats from Bob's Red Mill and then just grind it at home into flour (not everyone agrees with this though), however, use any gluten-free flour that you have on hand. I have not made the recipe without the oat flour, but I suspect it won't make a huge difference.
Thank you Jennifer! You're a doll!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sweeteater
WOE: Lower Carb
Those crackers look wonderful! I'll try them soon.
Sweeteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:37 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LosingKitty
Stats: 298/206.5/145
This may sound odd to ask since the dip is called BACON cheese spread but my DH cant eat pork. Do you think anything else would make a good substitute? Like maybe that dried beef chopped up or chopped cooked Pastrami or does the Bacon "make" the whole dish? I still want to make it for ME with Bacon so I will bring it to work to share (if there is any left ) I cant wait to make the crackers I miss crackers more than any other thing! I have been allowing myself two Ry-Krisp once a week but I am thrilled to have a LC substitute to try.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:06 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasneon View Post
This may sound odd to ask since the dip is called BACON cheese spread but my DH cant eat pork. Do you think anything else would make a good substitute? Like maybe that dried beef chopped up or chopped cooked Pastrami or does the Bacon "make" the whole dish? I still want to make it for ME with Bacon so I will bring it to work to share (if there is any left ) I cant wait to make the crackers I miss crackers more than any other thing! I have been allowing myself two Ry-Krisp once a week but I am thrilled to have a LC substitute to try.
Can he eat turkey bacon? That would be the first sub I would try.
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:11 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LosingKitty
Stats: 298/206.5/145
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowzip View Post
Can he eat turkey bacon? That would be the first sub I would try.
Good idea- I'll just have to call it something else if he asks. He is weird about stuff like that- he loves turkey but he wont eat a turkey dog or turkey "ham".
LosingKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:08 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Rebecca, chopped cooked pastrami would work well - anything that is a little savory and salty and meaty, basically. Rebecca, I think you will love these. Everyone loves the Almond Thins and these are basically a spin-off of those - just a bit stronger and more crunchy, I think.

Christina, Charski, Sweeteater - I sure hope you all like these as much as I do.

I've lost 5 lbs already (of the weight I want to lose) and I've been eating these all the time (tons!), because I had to make several batches in the last two weeks, until I was happy with the results. I almost used up all my almond flour. The only drawback to this recipe that I can see is probably the fact that it uses a lot of almond flour and for some people that might be a bit expensive. One could definitely mix almond flour and walnut flour (grind the walnuts at home), if the walnuts are a bit cheaper? I do have another robust cracker recipe that does not rely on almond flour at all. If anyone feels that way (i.e. that this particular recipe is too expensive), then maybe I should share that recipe here too. However, it does have oat flour or whole wheat pastry flour in it, and the beauty of this cracker recipe is - no grains! Yay! And, yet, they taste very much like they could have grains in them. To me they taste carby enough that I feel totally and completely happy and satisfied while dieting - no cravings for bread or desserts, and that says a lot for me! I these!
Old 03-26-2009, 08:09 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Jennifer!!

Way to go GF!! I am SO happy you are losing what you want to lose... I think I have seen that recipe in your books.. I know everyone on LCF would appreciate you posting it here GF...you can grind your own almonds like I do to make almond flour..I know its cheaper that way..they are 7.00 a pound here in VA but the Almond Flour I seen today was 12.00 for a pound!!

Would you believe I am craving Salting right now as TOM has came again!! I usually crave sweet but it Crunchy and Salted this time...lol Going to make a batch of these in a little while..

Have a wonderful day!

HUGS and God Bless!
Christina
Old 03-26-2009, 08:36 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ooh, I believe you, Christina. TOM (yep at 52, I still have him visit as per usual) has a nasty way of making me crave carby things and I really have to be careful. You could add a little extra salt to the recipe, as these are not salty tasting at all.

Have a wonderful day too, Christina. You continue to inspire others, I'm sure.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: libbysmom
Stats: 226/217/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 1/25/09
Jenn,
These are fantastic! I just made the coconut flour version and I ended up not getting some of my dough thin enough and am still baking, but they are great! I like them much better than the almond thins. Those were too sweet for me.

I'll make the bacon spread for them tonight!

Thanks a bunch for my lunch of pimento cheese and crackers!

Leigh

ps My internet connection died and I had time to make the wheat ones. I didn't pay careful attention to the recipe and I used 3 egg whites instead of 2. I rolled the dough very thin in two batches and made 90 crackers. These were really outstanding!!!

Even more thanks now!
libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

3 Egg Whites for the Wholewheaty Crackers!

Oh, Leigh, thanks a bunch! I was really wondering about that myself - i.e. whether I should have used 3 egg whites - the more egg white, the crunchier the crackers. Tonight I made the coconut ones and somehow I didn't get all the egg white out of the 3 eggs (wasn't paying attention when I separated the eggs), and the result was that the crackers were not as thick as the ones I made before, nor as crunchy. They will just have to do, as I'm serving them to our guests tomorrow with the Bacon Cheese Spread (Jon took a photo so will get that up soon.) Sooo, I guess, when I read your post, this made me realize the same is probably true for the Wholewheaty ones.

Thanks for the confirmation. I can't change the original recipe (editing time has run out)

FOLKS - USE 3 EGG WHITES FOR BOTH VERSIONS OF THE CRACKERS - Better that way!

I'm so glad someone made them and also liked them, just as I did. Wow, you made a lot of crackers! That puts the calories and carb count at pretty much almost negligible.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jilligan
Stats: Goal = 155 ~ 5'10"
I made the wheaty version today. I only made a half batch because I didn't have enough almond flour. I used the equivalent of 1 1/2 egg whites (we have hans, so I just pick out 1 large and one bantam egg to equal 1 1/2 eggs. I also subbed buckwheat flour for the oat flour since I had some that I needed to use up. The verdict... super yummy!! I had them with Tillamook extra sharp cheddar. Yum Yum Yum!!! Even my husband (who usually turns his skinny nose up at all my low carb recipes) liked them.

Hats off to you, Jennifer, and thank you for sharing!!!!

Losing and learning,
Jill
Jilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL The husband with the "skinny nose"! You made me smile. I'm glad they worked out for you. I must post the pic of the appetizer Bacon Cheese Spread - Jonathan, my son, took a photo - it's not that fantastic to look at, but believe me, everyone loves it.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #45
Princess

Gallery: JillyBug
I just made these. They are wonderful! And more importantly, these were made with ingredients I had in my kitchen. I am going to eat them with some french onion cream cheese.

Thank you!!!!
JillyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #46
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Dang, I didn't get to make them to take to Dad's - he already had hors d'ouevres and didn't want me to bring anything!

NEXT TIME for sure though! (If I can hold out that long....)
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #47
Princess

Gallery: JillyBug
Yum! It's SO nice to have something crunchy that doesn't taste nasty or greasy!
JillyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:18 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok...I just asked the mods to make this a sticky too Jennifer!! I asked them if we could set up a thread like Kevin's where he has all his links in too...

HUGS
Christina
Old 03-31-2009, 01:11 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gee, thanks, Christina, you are so sweet! I bet you're a little premature on that one. It would be nice though. I'll have to work on providing many more recipes to earn that. I'm going to post my microwave brownies shortly - so easy and tasty!
Old 03-31-2009, 01:20 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Jill and Jill. So happy you guys liked them! Char, hope you do get around to it one of these days. You can store them in a tin and ask hubby to hide 'em, and that way you won't be tempted to eat the whole batch as you said. Then each day, take out your allotment to have buttered with cheese or whatever and have them alongside your tea or coffee. That's what I do, except for hiding the tin, that is. It is actually nice to have something crunchy and carby tasting, especially when one is doing extreme low-carbing. I was not much of a cracker eater before my low-carb days, but these have converted me.

Okay, will look into loading that pic shortly.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Gee, thanks, Christina, you are so sweet! I bet you're a little premature on that one. It would be nice though. I'll have to work on providing many more recipes to earn that. I'm going to post my microwave brownies shortly - so easy and tasty!

WELL...you recipes deserve it GF!!

Hurry up and post that GF!!! I am wanting something sweet quick and that sound good!!

HUGS
Christina
Old 04-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Photo of Bacon Cheese Spread for Crackers

Old 04-02-2009, 07:04 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made the crackers and served the Bacon Cheese Spread to friends on Saturday as an appetizer prior to dinner. My friend wrote me yesterday to ask for the recipe. Here is what she said: "Thanks! That spread was to die for. I am having a barbeque for 12 of our friends next Thursday evening and I'm going to serve the spread."

One serves it warm and melty with crackers. I have not met anyone who does not love it - and it is so easy and quick to prepare!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I made both the crackers and spread and they are WONDERFUL! Thanks for 2 more fantastic recipes Jennifer!

I've actually made these crackers twice now (the coconut version) and the second batch I tried a variation. I put 2 TBS organic palm oil (not hydrogenated) in the batch and they turned out really nice, crunchy but flaky. I just put all the dry ingredients in a food processor, added the palm oil (it's solid at room temp) and processed until it looked incorporated. Added the egg whites, buzzed it a little more until the whites were incorporated, then proceeded as usual with the recipe. YUMMM!!! I love these!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, Angie - do you think coconut oil would work as well? Coconut oil is fairly solid at room temp - unless it is very hot.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

I think it probably would, it's a little more greasy then palm oil but they are both highly saturated fats. If you have virgin oil it will definitely impart a coconut flavor to the crackers though.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Angie, I made them with 2 tbsp coconut oil - didn't have regular grated cheese, so used 1 tbsp Parmesan. They were still crunchy and even chewy to some extent. Sometimes when you bite into them though they break in two and can fall on the floor - lol It happened to me twice - I need to sit down and eat and not scrunch on the hoof. I like the coconut oil idea as it might help speed the metabolism or at the very least fight yeast. To be honest, I've never heard of palm oil. I used extra virgin coconut oil - and no discernible coconut taste. Thanks for this idea - another good variation.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Jennifer! Hmm, maybe the properties of palm oil are a bit different than coconut oil. The ones I made were very crunchy and flaky - but stayed as sturdy as the original. Edited to add: I cook them quite a bit longer though, until they are brown all over - maybe that's why they are a bit chewy?

Here's a picture of the kind of palm oil I bought.

Product details:

Made with organic palm oil, Spectrum Organic Shortening is a healthy, trans-fat free alternative to traditional shortening for flaky crusts and crispy fries.

Ingredients

100% Organic Expeller Pressed Palm Oil.

Nutritional Facts
Serving Size: 1 Tbsp

Amount Per Serving
Calories 110 Calories from Fat 110

%Daily Value*

Total Fat 13g 20%

Saturated Fat 6g 32%
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g -
Monounsaturated Fat 5g -

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 0mg 0%

Total Carbohydrates 0g 0%
Sugars 0g
Protein 0g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%

Oh yes, I'm working on the bread today. I have it all started but don't have enough vital wheat gluten (1/4 cup short!). So I'm off to get some and will post up later today or tomorrow with hamburger bun details and pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Palm.JPG (3.3 KB, 395 views)

Last edited by BikerAng; 04-03-2009 at 01:50 PM..
Old 04-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That will be really wonderful. Thank you so much for all your hard work! Wow! Thanks for the info on the palm oil - sounds like amazing stuff! I wonder if Netrition sells it? I'll have to check.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:10 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Faia
WOE: LC/Avoid Frankenfoods
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
I have a question tho:
Oats are not considered gluten-free and many celiacs cannot use oats.

Is the oat flour essential to the recipe, or do you have a gluten-free, non-grain substitute? I don't want to experiment if I've never made the recipe.
Quote:
I believe one can get certified gluten-free oats from Bob's Red Mill and then just grind it at home into flour (not everyone agrees with this though), however, use any gluten-free flour that you have on hand. I have not made the recipe without the oat flour, but I suspect it won't make a huge difference.
From what I have read (I can never find this stuff when I want to show it to someone else) oats are gluten free, however, the large commercial milling operations use the same equipment as for wheat flour. So if you are sufficiently gluten-sensitive, you get a bag from shortly after the switchover and it triggers a celiac incident. You get a bag late in the oats run and you may be ok with it. Sort of a game of nutrition/allergy Russian Roulette.

So "certified gluten-free oats" are essentially "certified not cross-contaminated".
Faia is offline   Reply With Quote