Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: COCOJ
Homemade chocolate recipe

Does anyone have an induction friendly homemade chocolate recipe? Someone mention making it with the unsweetned bars from the store and adding splenda and nuts to it or coconuts but I need more of a recipe to follow, you know with measurements and carb counts. If anyone has any info on this please let me know.

Thanks
COCOJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Tazznum1
Stats: Shelf booty/big booty/back to janet's booty
WOE: vlc
Can't have nuts on induction.
Tazznum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Splenda and chocolate generally aren't very good go-togethers either - the Splenda tends towards bitterness when combined with chocolate.

Probably your best bet if you're craving chocolate is to mix some cocoa powder with SF whipped cream or sweetened cream cheese. Cocoa powder has a pretty high fiber content so it's negligible in carbs - but honestly, it's probably STILL not really an induction food.

Maybe get some Torani or DaVinci SF chocolate syrup, mix with some club soda and a little cream and make a chocolate soda out of it!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

I will try to mix cocoa powder with sf whipped cream or cream cheese to see what its like. what do you mean sf whipped cream? like cool whip? or whipped cream milk thingy and I beat it till its whipped like cool whip? sorry i'm not a cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Splenda and chocolate generally aren't very good go-togethers either - the Splenda tends towards bitterness when combined with chocolate.

Probably your best bet if you're craving chocolate is to mix some cocoa powder with SF whipped cream or sweetened cream cheese. Cocoa powder has a pretty high fiber content so it's negligible in carbs - but honestly, it's probably STILL not really an induction food.

Maybe get some Torani or DaVinci SF chocolate syrup, mix with some club soda and a little cream and make a chocolate soda out of it!
Old 03-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

oops your right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazznum1 View Post
Can't have nuts on induction.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitcub
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/19/09...this time
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCOJ View Post
I will try to mix cocoa powder with sf whipped cream or cream cheese to see what its like. what do you mean sf whipped cream? like cool whip? or whipped cream milk thingy and I beat it till its whipped like cool whip? sorry i'm not a cook
Cool Whip is full of high fructose corn syrup and nasty hydrogenated oils. Buy a carton of heavy whipping cream. Put it in a bowl with sort of high sides. Add a splash of vanilla extract and a little splenda and whip with an electric mixer or egg beater until quite stiff. Add cocoa powder if you like or use sugar free syrups in place of the splenda and vanilla.
kitcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcub View Post
Cool Whip is full of high fructose corn syrup and nasty hydrogenated oils. Buy a carton of heavy whipping cream. Put it in a bowl with sort of high sides. Add a splash of vanilla extract and a little splenda and whip with an electric mixer or egg beater until quite stiff. Add cocoa powder if you like or use sugar free syrups in place of the splenda and vanilla.
What she says!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

after i whip the heavy cream and get it stiff how long does it last in the fridge? I mean its not going to go flat on my if i leave some in the fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcub View Post
Old 03-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Tazznum1
Stats: Shelf booty/big booty/back to janet's booty
WOE: vlc
I wouldn't whip more than I used. Fresher the better IMO.
Tazznum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I can't believe how long I've been trying to do low carb (successfully most of the time!) and this is like the second time I've heard of this...that Splenda and chocolate don't go together well. What kind of sweetener do you suggest instead? I order from Netrition every once in a while so I'd put it on my list for next time. The only sweetener I have besides Splenda is brown Diabetisweet.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaffodilSoup
Stats: 219 (all-time high)/150.2/140
WOE: HFLC Vegan
Start Date: May 18, 2011
At my local grocery store, there's a great Diet Chocolate Fudge soda! It sounds weird, but it's delicious and induction-friendly! They also have Swiss Creme and Chocolate-Covered Cherry, all of which I highly recommend!
DaffodilSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
What kind of sweetener do you suggest instead? I order from Netrition every once in a while so I'd put it on my list for next time. The only sweetener I have besides Splenda is brown Diabetisweet.
I would recommend that, at the very least, you get some Erythritol. Many people like Stevia, but I personally can't stand the stuff. You might want to try some Xylitol, too. I have some Xylitol, but can't really offer a review of it. I've been very reluctant to try it, because I have a couple of rambunctious dogs, and Xylitol is poisonous to cats and dogs. Just some suggestions for products, though.
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: rene50
Stats: snug sz 16/comfy sz 14/ comfy sz 12 5"8'
WOE: LC
Start Date: 02-13-09
I discovered Canfield's Diet Chocolate Fudge soda. It has zero carbs, calories and sodium. You can put a little whipped cream on it (less than 1 carb) and its delicious!

I also bought some Almond Breeze chocolate non-dairy beverage. It has 3 carbs for 8 oz. I like to use it in my coffee with some heavy cream. It is also good warmed up with a package of SweetLeaf and topped with whipped cream. Great hot chocolate! Ya'll are probably familiar with this almond milk stuff, but it was new to me and I was so glad to find it. Probably best to wait until after induction on this one.
rene50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: rene50
Stats: snug sz 16/comfy sz 14/ comfy sz 12 5"8'
WOE: LC
Start Date: 02-13-09
I hope I'm not butting in....Erythritol?? That's a new one to me. Can you buy it in grocery stores? I'm using SweetLeaf which is stevia and I like it ok, but I'm not crazy about it. What about Sucralose?
rene50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaffodilSoup
Stats: 219 (all-time high)/150.2/140
WOE: HFLC Vegan
Start Date: May 18, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rene50 View Post
I discovered Canfield's Diet Chocolate Fudge soda. It has zero carbs, calories and sodium. You can put a little whipped cream on it (less than 1 carb) and its delicious!

I also bought some Almond Breeze chocolate non-dairy beverage. It has 3 carbs for 8 oz. I like to use it in my coffee with some heavy cream. It is also good warmed up with a package of SweetLeaf and topped with whipped cream. Great hot chocolate! Ya'll are probably familiar with this almond milk stuff, but it was new to me and I was so glad to find it. Probably best to wait until after induction on this one.
Yes, Canfields! I couldn't remember the name, haha.
DaffodilSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:08 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by rene50 View Post
I hope I'm not butting in....Erythritol?? That's a new one to me. Can you buy it in grocery stores?
I haven't ever seen Erythritol for sale in a grocery store or a health food store in my area. I buy it online from netrition.com.

Quote:
I'm using SweetLeaf which is stevia and I like it ok, but I'm not crazy about it. What about Sucralose?
IMO, sucralose (Splenda) doesn't work well in chocolate recipes, unless it's mixed with another sweetener. Any other sweetener would work well. I sometimes use 3 or 4 different artificial sweeteners together. That creates a synergy, which means you don't have to use as much of any one sweetener, and it usually eliminates any aftertaste from the sweeteners.
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:20 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

what about mixing splenda with sweetnlow?
Old 03-05-2009, 07:31 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Quote:
after i whip the heavy cream and get it stiff how long does it last in the fridge? I mean its not going to go flat on my if i leave some in the fridge.
You can rewhip cream if it goes flat. Just don't "over whip" or you'll end up with butter Just whip until it's fluffy again.
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal View Post
I would recommend that, at the very least, you get some Erythritol. Many people like Stevia, but I personally can't stand the stuff. You might want to try some Xylitol, too. I have some Xylitol, but can't really offer a review of it. I've been very reluctant to try it, because I have a couple of rambunctious dogs, and Xylitol is poisonous to cats and dogs. Just some suggestions for products, though.
Thanks, Kisal. I'll order the Erythritol and maybe the Xylitol next time from Netrition. No pets here!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: greenrn
Stats: 288/281/270/145
WOE: Low Carb (20 carbs a day)
Start Date: 03/22/06 09/22/10 01/09/2012
One of the best chocolate recipes is in our recipe section. Chocolate Kisses.
Only need:
sugar free chocolate pudding ( I love Fudge)
heavy whipping cream
cream cheese

Drop by teaspoon onto cookie sheet and freeze, store in freezer bags

Taste like extra rich fudge icecream.
greenrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MsJ777
Quote:
Does anyone have an induction friendly homemade chocolate recipe? Someone mention making it with the unsweetned bars from the store and adding splenda and nuts to it or coconuts but I need more of a recipe to follow, you know with measurements and carb counts. If anyone has any info on this please let me know.

Thanks
Are you ready for extreme chocolatey goodness? Hershey's "Special Dark" Cocoa has a Dark chocolate mousse recipe on the back containing heavy cream, cocoa, gelatin, and vanilla. I substituted Wisdom Herbs liquid stevia for the sugar to taste (adding it with the cream and adjusting for flavor), and I believe it will satisfy the most devout chocoholic. Cocoa and whipped cream together are nice (whip heavy whipping cream with liquid stevia--I also add vanilla and cinnamon), but this mousse ROCKS. With one gram of "active" carbs per T of cocoa I'm not sure what the total carb count is, but it's really quite low.
MsJ777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: michelle204
Stats: 262/187/170
WOE: LowCarbing my way
Start Date: July 9, 2007
I just mix melted coconut oil with some cocoa powder and a drop or two of Sweetzfree. Pour into the bottom of mini muffin pan and freeeze to get like 6-10 chocolates (depends on how much CO you used). Lately I have added a few drops of peppermint extract to the mix and that taste just like an After Eight or York Peppermint Patty.
michelle204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: greenrn
Stats: 288/281/270/145
WOE: Low Carb (20 carbs a day)
Start Date: 03/22/06 09/22/10 01/09/2012
Miss J777 will u share your recipe and adjustmants with us.
greenrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle204 View Post
I just mix melted coconut oil with some cocoa powder and a drop or two of Sweetzfree. Pour into the bottom of mini muffin pan and freeeze to get like 6-10 chocolates (depends on how much CO you used). Lately I have added a few drops of peppermint extract to the mix and that taste just like an After Eight or York Peppermint Patty.
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I use cinnamon oil and they taste like the chocolate cinnamon altoids! YUM[/COLOR]

pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
It's chocolate bark made from coconut oil, cocoa powder, and sweetener, and vanilla extract.

Cocoa Bark
4 Tablespoons (1/4c) coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 T Cocoa Powder ( I like hersheys dark cocoa powder)
8t of sweetness ( use whatever you like)

melt the oil, add the powder sweetener and extract. stir till combined. Line a dish with plastic wrap or waxed paper, pour the syrup onto the dish and let it flow till even. Chill in freezer. Snap and eat right from the freezer. If you hold it in your hand to long it will melt.

I've used liquid sucrolose in this recipe without bitterness, but I like to blend sweeteners for better flavors. I like bitter chocolate so I don't use much sweetener anyway. I use 2 drops of EZ-SweetZ, and two scoops of Kal Brand stevia.

I don't suggest using xylitol or erythritol without powdering it finely in a coffee grinder first. The crystals will not dissolve in the oil, even if heated. I blew up a glass trying to get the oil hot enough to dissolve them. So save yourself some grief and powder it first. Remember that Erythritol is 70% as sweet as sugar and may need more volume for the same sweetness, but combining it with sucrolose, stevia, xylitol, or some other sweetener, you can use less and still taste good enough.

Quick and easy chocolate treat. easy ingredients, No hidden sugar, easy cleanup. You can even drizzle into a cold (induction friendly)shake for floaty chocolate bits. It's just like magic shell.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 03-08-2009 at 03:52 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrn View Post
One of the best chocolate recipes is in our recipe section. Chocolate Kisses.
Only need:
sugar free chocolate pudding ( I love Fudge)
heavy whipping cream
cream cheese

Drop by teaspoon onto cookie sheet and freeze, store in freezer bags

Taste like extra rich fudge icecream.
Hi there,

Can you use this recipe with a candy mold?
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
Hi there,

Can you use this recipe with a candy mold?
I'll bet you could put it into a pastry bag and pipe out little kiss shaped drops. Then you wouldn't have to bother with a mold, which is a little bit of a pain.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I'll bet you could put it into a pastry bag and pipe out little kiss shaped drops. Then you wouldn't have to bother with a mold, which is a little bit of a pain.
The thing is about the mold-- my roommate loves little heart-shaped candies. So I'd like to do this for him for his upcoming b-day. I'm gonna give it a shot-- I'll let y'all know whether it works. :-)
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
The thing is about the mold-- my roommate loves little heart-shaped candies. So I'd like to do this for him for his upcoming b-day. I'm gonna give it a shot-- I'll let y'all know whether it works. :-)
How Sweet! Send us Pics, alright?
Old 03-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susume
Stats: 140/135/120 69yr.old 4'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Well I just keep starting over.
I was just scrolling while eating my favorite Choc Fudge. Here goe`s.
1 8oz. pk. cream cheese, softened - I do in mic.
1 sq. of melted choc. - I put in little glass bowl and then put in bigger glass bowl and mic.
half cup of splenda or whatever you use
half tsp. of vanilla
mix all and put in pan in refig. overnite. I do not do this - I just sit down with a spoon and eat right away.
This they would call 8 servings, I call it 1. Eat as much as I want and then put in fridge for the next day if any left.
callories per serving 125
13 grams fat
3 carbs
add nuts if want and then count. I don`t - I just love the smooth taste.
susume is offline   Reply With Quote