Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kris09
Low-Carb but W/ A Budget!

(Told you in my introduction I would have questions, hehehe)

I am attempting this low-carb thing because apparently women with PCOS are suppose to eat this way, and I really want to lose the weight & get my hormones in check.

A typical day for me for food:

Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup skim milk, cinnamon, 1 packet Stevia, either 1/2 an orange or 2 pieces turkey bacon.

Snack:
1 piece of whole-grain bread (Nature's Own) with 1 TBLS Smucker's natural P.B. (I usually had this because I would work-out 30 minutes later but that all is about to change)

Lunch:
2 cups spinach leaves, 1/4 cup fat-free Mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup tuna mixed with 2 TBLS red roasted pepper hummus, and 10-20 sprays of Wishbone's ranch salad spritzer. I also would have either other half of orange, banana, or unsalted pretzels or 8 mini rice cakes.

Afternoon Snack: Either a W.W string cheese, yogurt, 5-10 black olives, unsalted pretzels, peanuts, etc.

Dinner: (Always chicken! I don't eat pork, beef, or fish except tuna) Chicken cooked different ways, frozen mixed veggies, sometimes in stir-fry or pasta form, brown rice, half baked sweet potato, etc.

I want to learn from ya'll, the ones who eat low-carb and lose the weight! But, I am on a budget. It is just my husband & I but I tend to still spend $100+/week on groceries. That is a little too high for us right now.

Ps. My husband is in shape. He eats whatever (except pork) so often times I cook his meals separately but we are trying to budget, so he can eat what I make!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...e-lowcarb.html
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sinderstorm
Stats: 250/205(post twins)/150
Welcome! LC is very do-able on a budget. Currently I spend between $60-80 per week for DH (not LC) and myself (moving towards exclusively meat). We tend to rotate our meats throughout the week, and DH eats the dinner I make, adding cottage cheese or a dinner roll as needed since he struggles to keep weight ON his frame. My food blog is in my signature, feel free to look at it for ideas.

In addition to my food, DH's breakfasts and lunches look something like this:
B- eggs (if I am making them when he's still home) or waffles with natural peanut butter

L- sandwich on wheat bread, 2 oz nuts, cheese stick, Kashi granola bar, cheese-its, diet soda. OR leftovers from the night before with a few of the above side items.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Storm. I'll definitely check out your food blog. I can't eat cottage cheese (texture issue) so I'm assuming I can substitute. And, $60-80/week sounds more reasonable I would think. Also, with low-carb (PCOS/IR) I thought we weren't allowed bread? What would a reasonable plan be for me? Maybe Atkins? I only eat chicken & tuna though. Hmmm ...

Lisa, thank you for the link! I'm going right now to check it out

Edit: I have only had turkey bacon twice (last week) and it isn't too bad I guess. lol

Last edited by Kris09; 03-01-2009 at 09:13 AM..
Kris09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Hi Kris! Have you chosen a low-carb plan yet? Have you read the book for your chosen plan? If not you REALLY need to do that - otherwise it's like traveling someplace new with no road map - you MIGHT get there, you might NOT, but you'll have a lot of getting lost along the way!

What you have posted is most definitely NOT a low-carb menu. In fact it looks a lot like something I would've eaten while doing Weight Watchers, which is basically low to no fat and low cal.

We're all happy to help you out as much as we can but it's really important to "know the basics" first. You can glean a lot from online sources but IMHO there is no substitute for actually sitting down with the book on your preferred plan and reading it cover to cover and UNDERSTANDING why you're doing what you're doing.

I, of course, highly recommend Atkins because it has worked so well for ME but there are other plans, South Beach, Protein Power, and more.

You've definitely found the best website for support and great people!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thank you, Charski!

I have NOT chosen a plan yet, lol. I've just been eating healthy from what other members on a different site told me to eat. I put in my weight, height, age, and activity level (moderately active) and it said to consume 1,965 calories/day. That is what I was aiming for while trying to keep the carbs and sodium low.

I can't purchase the book right now, which is why I joined the site. The hardest thing for me to do is making meal plans. When I was just eating healthy (example above), it was easier, but I realized that for PCOS/IR my carbs are still WAY too high! I thought about trying the Atkins but so many have told me it harms your kidney's, lol. That is why I'm here - to learn, to gain the knowledge to have my own success story soon, ya know.

Thanks for the help and advice. I like simple/quick (not a lot of prep time and/or cook time), budget-friendly meals. We both stay pretty busy, + working out, I don't have a lot of free time to spend cooking, etc.

PS. Can you do the Atkins diet with just chicken and tuna?

Last edited by Kris09; 03-01-2009 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: Added something
Old 03-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
Gadget Gal

Sure, you can do just chicken and tuna, if that's what you like! No problem with those choices.

Do you have a local library? You could always check out the book! I bought mine on Amazon for very cheap (under $5 including shipping) and I consider it a "cost of doing low-carb business" and essential for the trip!

I like quick meals a lot too. Our board members here have TONS of wonderful ideas - there is a "3 ingredients" thread on this forum which has some very quick-to-make meals - anything called for ground beef you could use ground chicken or turkey.

Glad to have you aboard!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Thank you so very much! My shopping plan is out the window for today. It is snowing (in Georgia!) and I don't know how to drive in this crap, lol.

I am going to browse the site some more and see what I can find. I am already addicted/loving this site. There is just so much to offer here! I have met a lot of women with PCOS/IR who prefer the Atkins or South Beach Diet. I just didn't want to eat their processed meals, ya know. I'm also pretty picky when it comes to certain veggies. I just hope I can do it and lose the weight, and eventually make it easier on myself & husband to become pregnant.

Thanks for the info on the book. I can either check it out or buy it. I didn't realize it was so cheap. Thanks!!
Old 03-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Recluse
Stats: 158/112/112
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2004
Hi Kris - Welcome. I found Dr. Atkins older version (paperback) at Goodwill a few months ago for 99 cents...
Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Recluse!!

After browsing (there's so much to read!!) I have decided that Atkins sounds like a really good plan for me. I can stick with something, as long as it is healthy. I don't want to lose muscle, just the fat. I do some pretty intense work-outs (HIIT) and that would be the only thing I'd worry about.

Do ya'll think the Atkins plan (with the ladders, etc) is budget-friendly if I make my own meals? I don't want to eat processed foods. I'm going to go post in the Atkins forum & get some more information (before I'm able to get the book sometime this week), and start the plan very soon!
Old 03-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #11

Gallery: frogfarm
Stats: 150/145/155
WOE: Custom
Start Date: June 2008
Kris, welcome aboard! Ari Armstrong recently did a series of posts on this subject.

I think for most people, regardless of their way of eating, the biggest obstacle to eating well on a budget is not being willing or able to cook. Of course there's a point of diminishing returns, and plenty of tasty low-carb meals that are quick and easy to make. But I've been doing this for about nine months now -- and manners prohibit me from mentioning my income, so let's just say it's rather pitiful :blush:
frogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
I personally find gardening a great way to get a little exercise and save a few bucks...and I'm a very lazy gardener.

I love hay bale gardening...it's so easy and I've gotten better than great results with it...and you can use the same bales year after year. I had 20 bales last year I plan to double that this year and fill my freezer with fresh vegetables to last the winter.

Some info:
Clay County Extension Service - Horticulture - Articles & Publications - Hydroponics in the Garden?

Hay Bale Gardening | Hartsville Today

Garden pictures by Lantanalane2 - Photobucket
Old 03-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #13
JDM

Gallery: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
Hi Kris - Welcome. I found Dr. Atkins older version (paperback) at Goodwill a few months ago for 99 cents...
I got the 2002 version of DANDR for .99
and I got Protein Power for .99
and I got Atkins Cookbook for 2.99

all 3 in GREAT condition...like new
Goodwill is awesome!
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Kris, welcome aboard! Ari Armstrong recently did a series of posts on this subject.

I think for most people, regardless of their way of eating, the biggest obstacle to eating well on a budget is not being willing or able to cook. Of course there's a point of diminishing returns, and plenty of tasty low-carb meals that are quick and easy to make. But I've been doing this for about nine months now -- and manners prohibit me from mentioning my income, so let's just say it's rather pitiful
Care to share any ideas? I'm trying to locate (on this website) the low-carb (Induction) recipes that are budget-friendly. Hey, a little needs to go a long way these days, in most cases, lol. Our #1 incentive for saving is to buy some land to build our house. We love the house we are in now but we need country-life. We are both tired of the city, lol. (I also have an addiction for shoes, shhhh! )

But, anyways, I'd love to hear some ideas or be pointed in a direction to find some more. I am trying to read as much as I can. I would love to start the Induction Wednesday, latest Friday, if I can get this stuff figured out and understood. I'm going to call around about the books tomorrow!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Less expensive sources of protein:
Eggs
Chicken leg quarters
Ground beef
Canned tuna
Canned salmon

Get a freezer if you don’t have one.

When you do your grocery shopping every week collect the adds for all the local grocery stores in your area and go through them looking for the weekly meat and produce specials. Grocery stores will discount meat and produce as a draw to get you into their store. Choose a store to shop at that does price matching and take the adds with you to the store.

Lets say they have Chuck Roast on sale at Kroger and you are shopping at HEB…Pick up 3 Chuck Roasts and when you get to the register show the clerk the Kroger add and she will discount the roast for you at the register. Buy more meat than you can eat for the week and when you get home repackage it for the freezer and freeze what your not going to cook. Do this week after week and as time goes by you will build up an excess of discount meat in your freezer and if you have a week when money is a little on the short side you can fall back on the meat in your freezer and not have to spend as much money at the grocery store and you will never have to pay full price for the cut of meat you want again.

Buy one of those Food Saver vacuum machines….Go to the farmers market in the summer months and buy your favorite vegetables by the box. Lets say you eat a lot of broccoli…buy several boxes of broccoli bring it home, prepare it for the freezer and vacuum seal it up and put it in the freezer. If you have a backyard it would be even better to grow your own but aside from that buying in bulk direct from the farmer in way less expensive than the grocery store.

Also get online and look up the local Pick-Your-Own fruit and vegetable farms in your area. If you are willing to put in a little work you can get your food really cheap if you pick it yourself. Load up and freeze enough to last you through the winter.

Anything that you make yourself rather than buying it at the grocery store will save you money…buy peanuts in bulk and make your own peanut butter, make your own mayo, ketchup, BBQ sauce and salad dressings…they not only taste better but you then have control over what goes into them.

I see you live in Georgia…you should be able to find some good deals on peanuts and pecans in your area…if you do buy a lot and store them in the freezer.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #16

Gallery: frogfarm
Stats: 150/145/155
WOE: Custom
Start Date: June 2008
Seconded on canned salmon. Compared to fresh, it can be a little strong to use as salad if you're not accustomed to it, but it works great for salmon patties (broiled or fried). I haven't found a person yet who doesn't like those if they like tuna, so give it a try, Kris! I think it's one of the best mainstream nutrition deals.

Also seconding Chicken Lady -- the Food Saver, along with the deep freeze, is a great way to take full advantage of bulk prices. We had one for a while but gave it to a friend in need. Planning on replacing it as soon as the budget allows

Oh, and pre-congratulations and good luck on completing your move to the country. I'm in a semi-large city which is still enough of a small town that almost everyone knows someone who gets their eggs fresh from a friend. So even if you're not exactly living in Green Acres, you might want to look around and see if you can find a chicken man or lady in your area. Eggs are one of the tastiest, healthiest and most versatile ingredients in a low-carb lifestyle -- and fresh eggs are surprisingly available! (Unlike raw milk, which is still a bit of an "underground" phenomenon even in areas that allow it through herdshares and such).

And definitely check out Ari Armstrong's series of posts I linked above. Full of recipes, receipts, and a healthy common sense perspective.
frogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
I personally find gardening a great way to get a little exercise and save a few bucks...and I'm a very lazy gardener.

I love hay bale gardening...it's so easy and I've gotten better than great results with it...and you can use the same bales year after year. I had 20 bales last year I plan to double that this year and fill my freezer with fresh vegetables to last the winter.

Some info:
Clay County Extension Service - Horticulture - Articles & Publications - Hydroponics in the Garden?

Hay Bale Gardening | Hartsville Today

Garden pictures by Lantanalane2 - Photobucket
What a neat idea!!! Thanks for posting the links!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Recluse
Stats: 158/112/112
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2004
My latest find - the "meat markdowns" at the grocery store. I bake overnight in a grocery store and I'm pretty much alone so I use my downtime to troll the aisles. Meat with a few days left till expiration is half price! Got a package of Oscar Mayer chicken with southwest seasoning (already cooked) to put on salad etc for $1 and they still had 4 days left - popped em in the freezer. I usually wont buy these cause they are so expensive!
Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Great ideas!! Thank you all so much. I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed, lol. I will be starting Induction phase and want to keep it as simple as possible until I am ready to move into the next phase, where I can start adding more ingredients and/or meal plans.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #20
Gadget Gal

Kris, google "lindasue recipes" and you'll find a wonderful website - she lets you know which of her recipes are suitable for induction - many of them don't use a lot of exotic ingredients and are good budget-stretchers, and she also reviews them and rates them with stars and states what she might do differently next time!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Wow, thanks Charski!

By the way, I saw your photos on a different thread. You look great!!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #22
Gadget Gal

Aw, thanks! That just made my evening!

Well that and the homemade bacon-wrapped, cream cheese and cheddar-stuffed jalapeno poppers and DH's profession of undying love....
Old 03-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fieldofroses1
Stats: 300+/217/under 200
WOE: Mostly LC veggies & proteins due to food allergies
Start Date: Aug 18 2008
the best thing to save on Low carb is to plan your menu around whats on sale, the other day chicken legs were $.59 a lb around here, so buying 20 lbs and freezing it is a bargain, and u can cook it many different ways. If you plan a menu first, u always end up buying things that are regular price. and grocery stores have more than one type of protein on sale, so stalk when u can. READ the book on a specific diet ur choosing, don't go by what someone else is telling you. I have PCOS too, and been doing atkins since Nov of 08 and LC my way since august, and lost 53 lbs. it takes lots of deligence and committment to do this, just plan ur meals, cook meals for 2-3 day in advance so if ur pressed for time, u ALWAYS stay on plan, I can tell you I had severe symptoms of PCOS and they're virtually non existant now. This works, stick with it, good luck hope u find what ur looking for here.

Also check out this organization, its based in Georgia, but I think they have sites all over

Welcome*- Angel Food Ministries they offer discounted food boxes i think the value of the box is $65 but they charge $35 for it, and they have a Meat box, interesting place.

Last edited by fieldofroses1; 03-02-2009 at 08:20 PM..
fieldofroses1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:13 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
Marking my spot
Dixie Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
What a neat idea!!! Thanks for posting the links!
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:50 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amber Colin
Stats: 143/138/112
WOE: Atkins LC
Start Date: March 2008
Hi all

Buy stuff that fills u up more. For veg, I tend to get brocolli or cauliflower instead of spinach cos they fill me up more. And stuff like cabbage and cauliflower are cheaper than spinach or green pepper.

Cheese i tend to buy those store brands where they just pack the shredded cheese in plain transparent bags. Eggs I buy them in a big tray, instead of the low cholestrol, carrot fed, XL sized eggs which all comes in 10s and way more expensive! Well, As for nuts, I also buy those brandless types that comes in huge bags. Alternatively, you can buy them from some wholesale shops which sells raw cashew nuts, almonds etc and bake them or stir fry them yourself. Cheaper this way and you can add some AS to sweeten it etc.

Frozen meat is also cheaper than fresh meat. I always buy 2 kg of chicken thighs or wings and eat the same stuff throughout the week, but cooked in a variety of ways.
Beef is more expensive than other meat, so I seldom eat it but only when I feel like indulging in a good steak. Sometimes we eat it at restaurants instead. As for salmon, our markets here sell some cheaper like "loose" meat, not the good norwegian salmon fillet, but loosely cut and packed, with bones... much much cheaper but I dun really like it cos it's troublesome to eat. salmon belly is cheap and tasty though!

Amber
Amber Colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pork Chop
Stats: Reached goal January 2002
WOE: Low carb maintenance
Start Date: July 2001
My grocery bill is lower on low carb than it was when my husband was still eating high carb.

We are lucky enough to live within delivery range of a small beef distributor and I can get a case of USDA choice for $200.00. I order two cases at a time and they last a little over three months. I probably spend a maximum of $20.00 per week at the grocery store. Add about $50.00 per month spent at netrition at we spend about $275 per month for two adults.
Pork Chop is offline   Reply With Quote